chapter 29

Apocalypse III

Mir hugged himself as he watched one guy he just knew as Sungmin, treating Byunghee's shoulder. His features never relaxed from frowning since, who knew when?

"What's with the long face?" Seohyun came. Luckily the bullet only grazed Seohyun's side and the girl only fainted in shock. Now, Seohyun was helping her other medically certificated friends treating the casualties that had happened.

Mir sighed. He turned and walked a bit further from Byunghee, subtly gesturing for the beautiful girl to follow him. "I-" Mir started when they were already outside the room in the quiet hallway, his eyes glued to the floor and his arms just curled tighter around his own body. "I want you to lock me in isolation."

Seohyun didn't expect that sudden request as her usually calm self almost stirred in shock. "Why?" She asked slowly, and noticed how Mir took a step back when she tried to get closer to the boy.

"That time..." Mir sighed, making sure the distance between him and the girl. "When I was having that pain, I-I got the feeling of wanting to eat human flesh. And when I turned into one of the walkers, I knew I was still alive. Right when Hongki managed to make my heart beat again, I lost control of my own body. I was alive when I turned." Mir muttered, remembering all that had happened just now. Seohyun looked shocked, as Mir was expecting. "I think, I'm a walker. Yea, I'm still a human, but at the same time, I'm also a walker." Mir sighed as he continued though he kind of bet, Seohyun was confused by his words. "That would explain why other walkers didn't attack me at the mall before." He mumbled more to himself as he remembered how he was trapped in the mall with Seulong and Nickhun and even when all three of them were fighting against herds of infecteds, he realized all the walkers didn't attack him, but only the other two. And now, he only had one explanation for that. The other walkers saw him as one of them.

"But, that's... That's..." Seohyun was speechless. Something... Something was nagging at the back of her mind. She did see Mir turning before Taemin hold her captive, but she never would have thought that the already turned Mir has a still beating heart. Human would only turn into walker after their death. But, Mir case is unique she must say. The boy didn't follow any of the pattern of the infection. The boy was unaffected for weeks after the infection and suddenly died and turned into walker out of blue when his heart beat again and come back as human again. He didn't have any fever and just suddenly stop breathing. Was this all because of the thing Tiffany had injected in Mir's vein? But, Mir turning just meant that antivirus wasn't complete. And that also meant she still had hell lots of work to do.

"For now, could you just keep me locked up?" Mir asked again when he saw how Seohyun was too deep in thought that the girl was practically digging a hole through the wall she was staring all the way.

Seohyun's eyes flickered back to Mir who was still having his head hung low. Her eyes trailed downwards to Mir's arms which were still curling around his own body and she caught the light tremble on Mir's frame. "Mir..." She called, their eyes locked when Mir looked up to her. "You still have that want?" She asked, her question nailed accurately.

Mir hesitated a bit before he finally nodded. "I can feel it in me. It is still in here somewhere."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

After the little conversation Mir had with Seohyun, the female scientist had ordered Chansung to take him to the isolation room in another apparently unused laboratory room at the back of the same building.

The journey was quiet until Mir broke the silence. "How is Nickhun?" He asked in a small voice. When Chansung suddenly stop, Mir also stop and took a step backward. He needed to keep his distance. His stomach still churned with hunger. And he barely able to hold himself down.

Chansung gaze softened at the younger. Though Mir was practicallly stranger, he couldn't help but felt sympathy towards the boy after hearing the whole story from Seohyun. "Let's stop by his room first." Mir looked away, and was about to say no when Chansung spoke again. "This will probably be the last." At Mir's confused look, he continued. "Nickhun hyung, he..." Chansung released a heavy sigh. "He isn't doing good."

Mir blinked as the words sank in him before he bit his bottom lips. Sadness lurked in his eyes. "And it's all because of me." He muttered. When they fought, Nickhun was injured because of him. And today, Nickhun was injured again, protecting him. 

In his self-pity, he didn't notice Chansung had gotten near him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. Only when Chansung spoke that he jumped back in shock. Sighing, Chansung just stood still in his place, watching as Mir hugged himself tighter. "Come on." He spun on his heels and walked towards the room Nickhun was being treated in.

Mir followed silently into the room, feeling hot tears prickling at the corner of his eyes at the sight of the weakened figure on the bed. 

"You can come closer." Chansung waved the younger who didn't advanced even a step from the doorstep. Seeing the doubt in Mir's eyes, he continued. "Don't worry. I'm here. I'll make sure to stop you if you try anything." He said. But Mir wasn't convinced until Chansung got his gun out from the holster. Only then, he stepped closer until he was standing beside the bed.

Mir stared at Nickhun's pale face. "He... He's smiling." Mir spoke in a small voice.

Chansung peered to Nickhun's face and rose his brows in recognition. "He is..." He agreed, a bit amused at the faint smile on Nickhun's pale and chapped lips.

Mir held out his hand and paused a few times in hesitation before he finally held the unconscious boy's hand. "Thank you and I'm sorry." He muttered, tightening his hold but still in a gentle way.

"You think he might be with Tiffany right now?" Chansung suddenly asked. That question came out because he always saw that same expression on Nickhun's face everytime the latter was with the love of his life, Tiffany. Who knew right at this moment, the two were together in another world. Who knew...

Though Mir didn't really believe that, but for Nickhun, he really hoped it was true. That even if Nickhun couldn't be saved, he wished Nickhun finally able to be with the girl he loved. Because he deserved it.

"Before he slipped into coma, he asked if you're okay. He's really happy knowing you're safe." Chansung continued, his slanted eyes blinked a few times so his tears won't fall.

Mir hung his head low. Why was he so important to Nickhun, he couldn't understand. But, he might got some idea. Just like him, Nickhun too wanted to save this world. They shared the same dream as Tiffany. To save this world. And he knew Nickun believed that Mir was the key to that. "If the antidote can really be produced from what Tiffany has left, then Tiffany is right." Mir suddenly spoke, gaining Chansung curious look. "She really is going to single handedly save this world." He repeated what was once Tiffany had told him.