chapter 12

Apocalypse III

Mir watched all of the boys buzzing around the living room in one of the empty houses, preparing for dinner. He smiled as courtesy when his eyes met some of them. He was a bit dizzy after being introduced to six new names and faces. Some of them have a bit of unusual and easy to remember name. Like that one boy with tanned skin, long neck and grey hair. His name was just simply a letter, 'N'. Well, of course it was nickname. But, it wasn't like Mir really keened to know their real names. Some even have names like Ravi or Ken? Well, he couldn't really comment on those since his own name was just along that line. The other two who had much more Korean names were Jokwon and Changmin. They were sure two funny kids.

Mir felt an an arm around him and just realized Jinwoon had already taken a sit next to him, draping his long arm around Mir's shoulder. "How did you end up here? With that Nickhun guy?"

"Long story." Mir sighed thinking of all the things that he had faced and thinking about the injured Nickhun resting in one of the bedroom.

"Make it short." He insisted.

"I'm going to east fort." Mir finally revealed, having no mood to tell the whole story to the taller boy. But, the reaction that Jinwoon gave with his answer just made him curious. Jinwoon was looking at him like he was doing some crazy talking. "Anything you know about east fort?"

"Yeah." He answered as a matter of fact. "You will just waste your time. They don't accept anymore survivors. Why else do you think we're here instead of east fort right now?" Jinwoon tried to made his eyes wider but since they were small, he looked kind of funny.

"They have to accept me. I have something for them. And Nickhun was one of them before he left." Mir replied, his hand cupped on the still new and fresh scar left on his nape.

Jinwoon snorted. "Believe me you won't get in. It doesn't matter if Nickhun was one of them before. Once he left, he is no longer one of them."

Mir exhaled. He had thought of the exact same probability especially after witnessing the proof left on the massacre the goverment had carried out on the road to the west fort. Too cruel. No... Even cruel was understatement.

Mir shook off Jinwoon's arm and stroded to the window. He pulled back the curtain a bit only to silently gasp as he saw a pair of dark eyes staring back at him on the other side of the window. Dried blood all over its body. Mir frowned at the walker that was standing still outside the house, still staring at him. Mir tilted his head, fascinated by the walker that looked like it was looking back at him. As if the walker knew he was there, on the other side of the wall. And... Why do it looked so familiar? He racked his brain trying to remember, but all the dirt and blood covering the walker's face weren't much of help.

The boy jumped when a hand rested on his shoulder. He turned to see Jinwoon smiling at him. "Dinner is ready." He said quietly and left to the kitchen.

Mir turned back to the window but he no longer saw that walker. Shaking his head once, he tried to clear his mind and put his senses back together. It was probably his messed up mind was playing tricks on him again. He turned towards the kitchen, not noticing the figure from behind one of the abandoned car staring right in his direction. That one walker among the lots of other pacing lifeless walkers.