chapter 18

Apocalypse III

Byunghee watched with a smile as Key was having another bout of bickering with Jonghyun. This time, it was over tomato.

"I already said, we need to mesh it first so the taste can come up." Key screeched in annoyance, spatula in his hand swung dangerously, almost landing on Jonghyun's forehead.

Jonghyun leaned back a bit, huffing a relief breath when the spatula swung past him. Fixing his mix of brown and yellow bangs, he grinned sheepishly. "You can still mesh it now. Look." He took the spatula in Key's hand and using it to squish all of the tomato in the soup.

"Why are you meshing the potato too!" Key gasped, snatching back the spatula. Some of the soup content spilled on Jonghyun's hands.

"Ouch! It's hot." Jonghyun flinched but later, he the content of his hand and hummed thoughtfully. "It's still bland." He commented and before Key could react, Jonghyun already dumped a large amount of salt in the pot.

"YAH!!!" Key shouted and Jonghyun jumped back in shock. Key's face was flaring red and the spatula in his hand almost bent at his tight grip. "Get out!" He yelled, pointing the spatula towards the kitchen door. People should really know not meddle with Key's cooking if they wanted to live longer. But Jonghyun seemed to enjoy teasing the blonde boy. That boy really was something.

"Jonghyun hyung!" Taemin came running into the kitchen as Key's scream reached him even when he was working on the field, outside of the house. "Stop annoying Key hyung." He whined and pushed Jonghyun back and both walked towards the kitchen door. "Onew hyung need help in plowing." He said and kept pushing the older until they left only Key and Byunghee in the kitchen.

"Just add more water since we have no tofu." Byunghee broke the silence and Key just obediently followed the older's words, mumbling under his breath on how lucky Jonghyun is because of Taemin, or else he would have killed that dino. Byunghee chuckled at the last word that escaped from Key's mouth. "Dino?" He asked between his now louder cackle.

Key turned to Byunghee, hand on hip while another hand still busy stirring the content in the pot. "Don't say you never notice how that idiot look like supposedly already extinct creature. Why the hell he still doesn't extinct is beyond me." He said dryly, making Byunghee burst into full hearty laughter.

"Hyung..." A weak voice called.

Byunghee reduced to small chuckle before he turned to Joon. They lived together long enough for him to recognize each of the member's voice. However, his smile faltered as he took in Joon's pale face. He jumped to his feet, knocking off the chair as he ran to the staggering boy. "Joon! You're burning!" He exclaimed when he felt the heat on Joon's forehead.

Joon shrugged away Byunghee's hand and talked with a raspy voice. "Hyung..." He called again, his eyes were glossy and red as he peered towards Byunghee and not too soon, warm tears wetted his cheeks. "He won't come back?" He asked between his sobbing. "He's dead. I saw it. He's dead." The boy weeped, stumbling forward into Byunghee's embrace.

Byunghee rubbed Joon's back in gentle gesture. "It's just a nightmare." He soothed the sobbing boy. Joon kept having nightmare since Mir left. The exact same dream that kept repeating over and over again. Dream of Mir's turning. Dream of Mir's death. "It's just a dream." Joon was acting exactly like Mir before. Kept having nightmare and kept losing himself.

"But it look so real. Too real." Joon kept weeping like a child before he leaned completely on Byunghee, drifting to his dreaded sleep. Byunghee carried the sick boy to his bedroom before he tucked Joon in. He went to the bathroom and filled a bowl he took from the kitchen with cold water and grabbed a towel. While he was dabbing Joon's burning forehead and cheeks with that towel, a small voice came to interrupt. He turned and saw Key was standing at the doorframe.

"We should find him." Key suddenly voiced. Creases of worries painted on his features. Byunghee turned away from Key and focused back on Joon as if he never heard any words from Key. "Byunghee hyung! Look at Joon. Look at yourself. For us all, we need to find him." Key tried again.

They were all affected by Mir's leaving especially Byunghee and Joon. But Joon was much more sensitive than Byunghee. Unlike Byunghee, Joon had less control on his feeling. Mir's leaving had left the boy a bigger scar than any of them had expected.

Byunghee shook his head, releasing a defeated sigh. "We don't even know where he has gone to." If only he knew, then he would have gone running to the boy's side without a second thought. However he was tied here. And all he could do was waiting. But, that was until Key finally voiced it.

"I think I know." That took Byunghee by surprise as he looked towards Key with questions in his eyes. "Do you know that Sanghyuk saved Mir before Mir joined this group?" He asked carefully and Byunghee nodded. "Do you know from what and where Sanghyuk has saved Mir from?" At that, Byunghee shook his head, clueless and curious on how this was related to what they were discussing right now. With a deep breath, Key told the older. He told the whole story. And the place where he was pretty sure where Mir is, with Byunghee listening attentively.

And just few hours later, the house where the small group of survivors lived in was thrown into chaos at Byunghee's dissappearance. And Key could only hoped that he made the right call, sending Byunghee out there alone for Mir. For a boy that they didn't even knew if still was alive. He hoped it was worth a try. He gathered his hands and closed his eyes. Standing in the middle of his room, ignoring all the racket that was happening outside over Byunghee's missing. "Please be safe. Both of you." He whispered in the silence of his room, not noticing Taemin whom was listening from behind the door with sad eyes.