chapter 33

Apocalypse III

Byunghee was beyond shock as he saw Mir was locked up in that glass room in the old laboratory. "What the hell is all this?" He yelled, stomping forward, pushing Junsu out of his way but only to stop dead when he saw those lifeless orbs and ashen complexion of Mir's tan skin. Mir... wasn't Mir...

"Oh man..."

"Hyung..." Joon called, stepping slowly into the room, eyes never moving away from Mir. And when Mir too looked in his direction, their eyes locked. That look... That look... "What is going on? Why does Mir look like that? Why is he so pale? His eyes..." Joon stopped himself. Those eyes. Those used to be brilliant dark brown orbs looked cloudy and lifeless. "Is Mir... Has Mir..." He swallowed loudly feeling like his throat went dry as he got reminded by his dream. This couldn't be happening. Was this another nightmare of his?

"Okay, calm down... Don't just jump into conclusion." Chansung held out his hands, palms facing the boys. "We can explain." The words came out one by one slowly from Chansung.

"What have you done to him?" Byunghee was fuming. The last time he saw Mir, Mir was still alive. Why was this happening again?

Seohyun turned to Mir. Sighing as she knew Mir wouldn't wake up any sooner. The boy was exhausted and will let the walker form took charge for at least several more hours.

"Hey! Hey! Put that gun down!" Chansung warned when Byunghee already pointed his weapon in Seohyun's direction. So did Joon who was pointing his own short gun towards Chansung.

Junsu had to act fast as he charged forward, kicking the gun out of Joon's hand and snatching Byunghee's gun away, accidentally twisting Byunghee's injured shoulder.

Byunghee gasped as he felt burning pain on his shoulder and blood started seeping through his bandage and his shirt, but he didn't stop. This time, Chansung whom had to restrain the boy while Junsu got a hold on struggling Joon.

"Now... Cool the freaking hell down! Mir is still alive. Look closer! He's still breathing." Chansung shouted, pushing Byunghee's head so the latter would look at Mir.

Byunghee struggled against Chansung, he wouldn't even listen to the guard. He pushed back, sending both of them falling over one of the table, knocking down some of the apparatus there. Chansung groaned as his back hit hard on the table surface but he still didn't let go of the fuming boy who had landed on top of him.

"Stop it! You're bleeding!" Seohyun warned seeing crimson spot on Byunghee's shirt. The boy's wound had reopened again. "Chansung is right. Mir is still alive! You need to calm down first!" 

Mir moved a bit closer to the glass wall and his eyes locked with Byunghee's. The turned Mir tilted his head at the fight occuring outside the isolation room. That was when, Byunghee realized that Mir's chest was moving up and down. The boy was still breathing. 

He stopped struggling and let his tense body relaxed against Chansung's hold. He inhaled and exhaled a few times. He realized that he went mad again, over Mir. He really needed to calm down. "Explain." He demanded after getting a grip of himself, seeing how Joon too was starting to calm down in Junsu's grasp, eyes still fixed on Mir.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Byunghee cupped his chin. His brows knitted in deep thought. "So, you're saying, this will keep happening everytime Mir is sleeping or tired?"

Seohyun nodded as she tied the new bandage around Byunghee's wound. "Mir's cells have two pool of population. One is of normal cells while another is virus infected. It was like Mir having two personalities." Seohyun tried her hardest to explain the situation using layman language without using scientific jargon. "You know, almost like multiple personalities disorder. But, this isn't just his sanity. It is much more complicated. I wish I could explain more." She said guiltily, sitting back on her seat as she finished treating Byunghee.

Joon left his seat and walked to the glass wall where Mir was standing. It had been almost a month since he last saw the boy and when they met again, Mir was already like this. His heart clenched and he looked down, biting his lips. Shadow moved over him, and Joon looked up again, seeing as Mir got closer to the glass wall, snarling.

Joon blinked back the tears and put his hand over the glass wall. But, he was surprised, well a little bit pleasantly surprised when Mir stopped snarling at him. The boy's cloudy eyes fall on Joon's hand and the bracelet covering the boy's wrist. The bracelet probably rose something of Mir's subconscious side. Mir moved as he reflected Joon's action, putting his own hand over the glass wall. Tilting his head to his side. Their hands were only separated by the glass wall. When Joon curled his finger slightly, Mir followed that same action making Mir looked like Joon's mirror reflection.

"I have never seen him so tame before." Chansung whispered to Seohyun as he watched over Joon and Mir with amusement. 

Seohyun nodded with a small smile. Everything about Mir was the power of the boy's mind. Mir was strong. Stronger than anyone could imagine. And she could see that the anchor of the boy's strength is his family. Seeing his beloved family probably made even the turned vicious Mir became docile unconsciously.

Byunghee smiled when he saw how Joon was smiling at Mir's action. "So, when Mir wake up, he'll turn back, right?" Byunghee asked again. 

"Yea... And I have been working on the antidote. It will take some times but, I have confidence in this." Seohyun explained as she put her hand over the pink covered journal on the table. Tiffany's journal.

Byunghee looked back at Joon and Mir, saying, "Then, I'll trust you. Because Mir trust you." He decided as he too left his seat and joined both Joon and Mir.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Seungho looked up from his coffee mug when Sungmin called his name, deep frown on the latter's face. "Did you see where Taecyeon has gone too? I thought he went to the bathroom, but he's not there." The doctor grumbled, scratching the back of his head in annoyance.

"That big guy?" Seungho asked back as he was reminded to one of the injured guy. "He went out with another guy. I don't know where they were going though." 

"Out?" Sungmin asked and Seungho nodded. "OUT?" Seungho grimaced when Sungmin practically shrieked by his ears. "The hell did he go out on his own. His wound need to get cleaned. Does he really wish for death or something? I ought to..." 

And Seungho couldn't hear anything more as the fuming doctor stepped out of the infirmary, looking mad. "He's one fiesty little kid." Seungho mumbled to himself. Seungho looked around the room. Taemin and Seulong were sleeping, so did Key who just use the empty bed here in the infirmary as the boy's well pleased. That was Key for you. Seungho scratched his brow. Sanghyun had been missing too. The boy went out after Taecyeon did, saying he wanted to look around the fort but still hasn't came back. Shrugging, Seungho went back to his coffee.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Sanghyun focused his hearing on the conversation between the two guys in the empty room. Luckily the door was unnoticedly left opened in a narrow slit. He didn't really have any solid reason for eavesdropping the duo. It was just his strong curiosity.

"But, you need to talk with him first." Taecyeon said, leaning on the table when he felt pain over his injured side and leg. "I strongly against the red plan."

"Red plan?" Sanghyun whispered to himself, as he felt like he had heard it somewhere. Rummaging through his drawers of memories, he finally remembered that the red plan had been mentioned by Jaejin before. The plan to wipe clean all the walkers. But, wasn't that a good plan? Well, getting rid of all the walkers would restore the world to normal. Wasn't that a great thing? Wait... Sanghyun stopped himself. It did sound great but, he realized he never knew how they were going to carry the plan out. 

"I know. I don't agree as well." The other guy with brown long hair said. "I've been trying to talk Kangin out of that plan since Siwon already gone, but Kangin seem like he want keep going with the plan. Seems like we have second Siwon there." He let out exasperated sigh, rubbing his nape as he remembered about the heated discussion he just had with the president of the west fort, Kangin.

"But, Leeteuk hyung, you have right to go against the plan. You're the one in charge of east fort now. West fort can't do anything if you want to put a stop in this plan." Taecyeon tried.

"It's no use. They're going to do it on their own even if we don't take part in it. Have you forgot? They have enough explosive to blow up the korea even if we stop the supply from our side." Leeteuk patted Taecyeon's shoulder. "Unless we come out with better proposal to stop the virus."

"I have better proposal." That small timid voice stopped Leeteuk and Taecyeon from their conversation. 

Leeteuk stepped forward. "Who are you?" His face tensed.

Taecyeon grab Leeteuk's shoulder. "He's Sanghyun. He's one of members in Taemin's group. They are here to visit Taemin." He explained in Sanghyun's stead.

Leeteuk's features loosened. "Oh..." He responded and turned to slightly bow at Sanghyun. "I would like to thank you for taking care of Taemin." He really did. He really did feel grateful for the people who had been there for his bestfriend's dongsaeng when he couldn't. Heechul and Taemin meant a lot to him. Though he almost lost both of them, but at least Taemin was here now. He knew Heechul would be glad too if the lad was still alive.

Sanghyun blinked. "He got this far by himself. I didn't do anything worth to get thanked for." He muttered with a smile. "Listen. That red plan thingy, is it suppose to drop the bomb and destroy the whole korea? Well, that's the only conclusion I got from your conversation." 

"Yea..." Taecyeon slowly nodded. A bit amused at how fast and accurate Sanghyun's conclusion was just from the bits of their discussion.

"That's not the only choice left to stop the virus." Sanghyun added. "Have you put Mir into consideration?" He asked, making it looked like the most obvious thing ever. Well, it was. Mir was way much better plan. Unless... "You guys don't have any idea about Mir, do you?" Yup. He nailed it.

Taecyeon slowly nodded. "Why Mir?" Taecyeon asked, completely dumbfounded. Of course he was. He didn't know anything about Mir. He only know that the boy had saved his friend, Nickhun. He was kept in the dark just like other people here, in East fort except Seohyun and Chansung of course.

Sanghyun smirked. He was certain he could change the decision that the goverment had made. He'll use his reasoning skill. Even his other friends all had said he was wise. So, why don't he just make use of his wisdom now. Save Korea and all the other survivors out there from being blewn up to pieces for nothing.

"Wait." Leeteuk spoke. His eyes darted back and forth from Taecyeon and Sanghyun. "Who's Mir?"