chapter 1

Apocalypse III

Sound of galloping stopped when it reached the tall fence that separated a blue dome-shaped building and it's content from the outside world.

Mir looked up, shading the blinding sun using his right hand as he gazed over the area. Even with the sun shining strongly, the chill in the air still could be felt and he worried for a moment of how he was going to survive the winter alone. But only for a moment. What was important is now.

"Maxie... I never thought I would be here again." He talked to the horse he was riding. The horse snorted as reply. Mir chuckled and patted the white horse's nape. "You sure know the right time to make a sound. I wonder if you really understand me."

The brunette jumped down the horse lightly. He looked around the clear area. No walkers in sight. Yet. Mir walked around the tall fence as he traced the cold wall with his fingertips. His memories reeled in at the back of his mind.

 

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

"Hi, dear. I got you a friend." The scientist girl said excitedly as she pushed in a stretcher with a boy strapped on him, much like Mir himself.

The boy was unconscious. Mir looked over the boy who seemed young. Probably a few years younger than Mir himself.

"I shocked him a bit." The psycho revealed as she put down a taser gun on the table. "Your antivirus will be done in a few hours. Can't wait, can you?" 

Mir gritted his teeth as the girl went out of the room. Mir sighed when he heard sound of groaning next to him and the new boy open his eyes.

"What the hell?" The boy squeaked and struggled against his restrain. The boy looked around and his eyes fall on Mir. "Who are you? Why am I tied up?" 

"I'm Mir. We're being kidnapped by a psycho scientist who is going to use us as her lab rats." Mir explained calmly.

The boy blinked as he stared blankly at Mir. He lied back. After a few minutes of silence, the boy spoke back. "I'm Sanghyuk, by the way." He looked over Mir.

"Nice to know your name. But, I might die in a few hours. But still, nice to meet you." Surprisingly, a sweet sincere giggles rolled out of the boy's mouth.

"Let's get out of here first." The boy said and that was when Mir saw the blade in the boy's hand. The younger started to cut on the straps restraining him but it took a lot of effort and time since his position didn't really help.

Sanghyuk was already halfway on his mission when suddenly the psycho girl came back skipping into the room causing both boys to froze.

She skipped past Sanghyuk and straight to Mir. "I finish earlier than I thought." She grinned. She then caressed Mir's smooth cheeks and sighed. "Let's hope it'll work this time or I'll be missing you." She said that and stabbed the needle into Mir's hand.

A bloody scream echoed throughout the room as Mir felt how the liquid enter his veins. How it burn as the mercury colored liquid flowed through his vein into his heart and was pumped up through his whole body.

It was an excruciating minutes for Mir as he experienced the unbearable pain. When the pain finally reduced a bit, but still much painful, Mir was already exhausted. His head felt light. His eyelids felt heavy as he panted weakly.

He opened his blurry eyes when he felt a weight on him before it slid off of him and fall down onto the floor with a soft thud. Mir looked up to Sanghyuk who was already standing next to him, with the stun gun in his hands. Mir's eyes drifted to the limp body of the scientist lying on the floor.

Sanghyuk started to unstrap Mir and helped the older to stand back on his feet. His hands held onto Mir's arm when the older wobbled a bit. Still hurting from the said antivirus. "Nice job, kiddo." Mir praised weakly, grinning but then winced at the pain.

Sanghyuk smirked. "Let's get out of here." The younger started to lead the weakened boy out of the lab when Mir suddenly pushed him away. "Wha-"

When Sanghyuk looked up, the scientist had already waken up and tried to attack the two boys from behind. The girl was holding a metal rod that had stabbed onto Mir's forearm. "You're not going anywhere!" The girl panted, pulling the rod out of Mir's flesh. Her eyes were bloodshot. Her long black hair was in mess and almost covering her face. She barely able to supress the vicious trembling of her body.

Mir clenched his teeth as he gathered his now bleeding arm. He stumbled and fall behind. The girl was hovering over him. Smiling a twisted smile before she burst into a small laugh.

"Lab rats should act like ones." She said between her frightening giggles. "Or they should just die." The scientist held up the metal rod and was about to stab Mir right on the boy's still beating heart 

Mir shut his eyes, embracing himself for the pain that never came. Instead, his ears caught up sound of the metal clinging right beside him and felt a weight on his laps. Mir opened back his eyes and saw the already dead body of the girl lying on his legs and the metal road by his side. A knife was stucked on her back and crimson colored fluid seeping through the clean white labcoat.

The boy looked up and saw Sanghyuk was standing in front of him. The younger's hands were trembling and his eyes were wide in fear. No need to ask, Mir already could guess that this was the first time the younger took away a life. Yeah, Sanghyuk might have killed lots of walkers. But killing flesh-eaters were different from killing a still living human. Too different. 

Mir pushed away the limp body and stood up. He brought Sanghyuk into a half hug with his uninjured hand. "You have no choice. You did what you have to do, kid. Now, let's get out of here." Mir pulled the boy with him out of the lab but managed to steal a glance at the walkers in the glass room. Particularly at the smallest one. Soojung.

 

 

 

 

Sorry for the late update. I was having.... Well... I wouldn't really call it writer blocker, but I do have loads of programmes to handle. You know... I never once in three years have been this busy. Suddenly everyone want to recruit me as the member of their programme. okay, so weird... Sorry, it's just me being weird. And to be honest, I'm not actually sure where this fic is heading. Let's just hope it wouldn't end up unfinished or in hiatus.