("111")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

The computer was born to solve problems that didn't exist before.

 

Their house was made from an old fire station that had been rebuilt and decorated after years of ignorance. The old brick had been restored, along with all of the interior structure until it was safe to live in. The large garage was home to cars that each member of the household was able to use by will. The only thing connecting the garage to the main house was a simple door that could be found in any other house.

The rest of it, however, was interesting. The kitchen was built in after most of the wall crumbled. The base floor was simply a kitchen, a dining room, and a living room all mashed into one. A circular section of the living room was cut off due to the fire pole that caused the window in the ceiling and the view to upstairs. The second floor was just the bedrooms and bathrooms. There was only one flight of stairs after the redecorating crew discovered the second one to be decomposing, and the removed them for more kitchen room.

Kyungsoo was happy.

Seung got to know that simple garage-house door quite well when she helped lead a partially walking Chanyeol inside with Baekhyun, hoping she could drop him off and go. She had to be places still, discerning the fact that she was wet and still wearing her gym clothes.

When she finally gets the door open, however, Baekhyun had to give off a wild call to the other creatures in the house. School must've been out, because two come sliding down the pole, three in the kitchen.

"Yunjin! What's cooking?" Baekhyun asks. A button-nosed girl perks her head up. She was spinning in a continuous circle while stirring something in a large orange bowl. There was a man circling around her, trying to get at what was in the bowl with a pout on his face. Seung recognizes him as one of the friends that came to the club with him before, the one she stuffed the hat on. He appeared to be trying to get food from the woman, who was refusing it to him.

"Cookies." Yunjin replies, slapping the man with her hand, momentarily dropping the spoon. He grabs it and makes a break for it, attempting to climb the pole. His jeans make him slip down and Yunjin reclaims the spoon with batter on it before he gets far.

One of the men who came down the pole she recognizes as the other friend from the club, the one her and her sister didn't understand. The other one she recognized from church. She hasn't gone for a while, but she remembers seeing him there a few times.

There's another man in the kitchen, but he's bent over in the oven and she doesn't see him at first. The final amount of people appear to be seven, not including herself, which was seven too many for her comfort.

The best part is when they all stand and stare at her and Baekhyun lugging a wobbly Chanyeol, who smiles weakly at them as they shuffle over to the couch to lie him down carefully, well, mostly. Baekhyun tries to chuck Chanyeol's lanky frame across the cushions, startling Seung, who is suddenly holding all his weight.

"What happened?" One of them asks and Baekhyun looks to him, ignoring the fact that Seung was going off balance trying to keep Chanyeol up for a few more seconds, both ending up on the floor with a muffled squeak. Chanyeol makes a surprised noise and rolls off of Seung when she pushes at him, sitting up as fast as possible while Chanyeol blushes madly.

"Sorry!" He gasps, grabbing the edge of the couch and trying to pick himself up. He gets steady and sits down, wincing slightly. Seung stands to her feet and feels self-conscious in her tank top and shorts.

"Seung mega-kicked his balls." Baekhyun explains. The guys flinch from the thought and one goes into the freezer for an ice pack, throwing it, towel wrapped, in Chanyeol's direction.

"She didn't kick me, just the bag she was beating." Chanyeol corrects with a flurry of his hands.

"That's Seung?" Yunjin asks, pointing her batter-covered spoon in her direction. The shorter male walks behind her and shushes her, but stares curiously himself Seung shrinks under their gazes and wants nothing more but to leave.

"If you'll excuse me..." Seung whispers, bowing her head and making her way to the door. Someone quickly blocks her off and Seung sees his signature smirk, retracting.

"So, this is the famo-"

"Kai." Chanyeol whines. Seung places a hand on the strap of her bag, which she had just enough time to sling it on her shoulder before Chanyeol raised his arms in her direction like a child when Baekhyun parked.

At that exact moment, the alarm on Seung's lab top goes off again and she jumps from the sound of it, fishing it quickly from her bag and running towards the far end of the living room, sitting down in a corner and pulling her knees close, setting it on top.

"She was beating what?" The church man asks. Seung's fingers fly across the keyboard.

"What is that?" The one who was chasing the food asks. Seung resists the urge to scowl and tries to ignore them, especially when a few try to get closer to see. Chanyeol blocks them off, already knowing her love for privacy, and the lab top closes just as fast as it opened.

"It had a virus." Chanyeol states, smiling at Seung when she looks at him for remembering her original reason.

"I think I should leave." Seung mumbles, starting to bow her head again when Yunjin takes a step towards her.

"It's freezing outside, and you're wearing that." She claims, looking concerned. She's the not only one to notice this, but Seung ducks behind Chanyeol a bit, subconsciously trying to hide behind him.

"You could at least have a cookie - Sehun you little lisp-talking-" The wide eyed man hisses at Sehun when he snatches a cookie from the pan that just came out of the oven, burning his fingers. The cookie falls and Seung sinks a little further behind Chanyeol, lab top caged protectively in her arms.

"Really, I'm fine." She insists weakly. Her voice was starting to reach just above a whisper, and Chanyeol knew that it meant she wanted it to stop.

"I'll drive you to the store." He announces. Seung nods her head once, and follows silently as Chanyeol leads her to the door, limping slightly. Seeing his discomfort, she grabs his arm to stop him.

"Are you sure you can drive like that?" The man from church asks before Seung can mouth the words. Chanyeol glances up at him, then back at Seung before smiling.

"I'll be fine." he replies, taking Seung with him.

 

The apple wasn't the smallest apple in the bunch, but, in his hands, it appeared that way. They were large enough to make a cantaloupe appear normal sized.

Seung tears her gaze away as she thinks of a way to get Chanyeol to leave her alone long enough so she could go see if the people actually dropped the money off or not. Most of the time it was a futile effort that involved a lot of sneaking around, but she choose a place with security cameras. She could just see what the recorded and know if there was a package under the sign or not.

The next step was if it was check or bills. She never really knew, but the check was always the hard yet easy way to go. You had to make sure it wasn't traceable when you cashed it in. Bills were a bit more strenuous because you couldn't really tell if they were marked or not. There was no direct cashing in with those. You spread them around the town until they've been exchanged so many times that you don't know exactly where they were originally spent.

He holds the apple out to her and she stares at it. He was already inspecting the fruit for her, like she did last time they came to the store together. She takes it and places it in her basket. Chanyeol let her steal away to the gym again because he forgot her umbrella there, and she needed to change her clothes.

Back in warmth, her only goal was to stop to continuous shivers that rolled through her body. They replicated something like anxiety, and she probably looked the part by the way she silently stared at everything. Chanyeol didn't seem to sense the awkward aura she had, though. He kept scanning the apples for bruises until Seung made him stop, insisting she didn't need more than the five she had already.

The cans had no mercy, either. He knew each kind she liked and found them all when she was looking for her first one. Fruits, sauces, soups, spices and even certain cleaning supplies were all in his long arms before she even could grab a bag of rice. Fortunately. she didn't seem to notice his stalker-ish actions and let him fill her basket with the items, following her to check out.

"I'm sorry about all of them. They mean well, but they're not the ones for social awkwardness." He nervously laughs with a sheepish smile. Seung glances at him from the corner of her eye, nodding her head in agreement. Seung pays and Chanyeol trails like a puppy to the car.

"Where to next?" he asks, carefully sliding into the driver seat. Seung gives a soft sigh and shakes her head.

"I'm sorry I caused you pain." She confesses.

"What? This? It's nothing, really." Chanyeol insists. Seung raises an eyebrow at him.

"You passed out." She reminds him.Chanyeol laughs, always being uplifting. The mood in the car brightens.

"Okay, so maybe it was something, but it's not your fault the chain broke, unless you have metal bending powers - which would be awesome." He muses. No matter what, Seung notes, he always had bright, hopeful eyes.

She looks away suddenly and sneezes, clearing . Chanyeol looks at her clearly with concern, turning the heat on.

"I hope you didn't catch a cold from being out in the freezing rain." He comments, starting the car up. Hail was pelting the earth outside now.

"Crap." She hisses suddenly, looking at the clock in the car, "I need you to get me to the club now."

Chanyeol simply nods quickly and drives as fast as the speed limit allowed. When they reach the building, he was expecting it to be closed, but Seung orders him to park and come with her, if he wanted to keep driving of course, and he followed. He is dropped off at the front again and she whisks away to the back once more, taking her bag with her.

This time, however, there is no music playing, no lights making PSE people die from seizures. There were simply around five people sitting at different tables, simple white lights on the stage as they waited, playing on their phones. Two were men, three were women.

Chanyeol reads a sign by the front desk and understands what was going on. They were hiring more people, and these must be try-outs. When he looks at them again, he wonders why the men were there. This wasn't a gay strip club, was it? When his eyes roam again, he sees a schedule posted on the wall, and figures out that Wednesdays were gay nights.

That explains why Sehun goes with Kai only on Wednesdays.

Seung appears in under five minutes with two other girls, each strutting out in basic costumes. They all matched, sort of like a teacher-student attitude with uniforms for the authority figures. The two had their hands filled with outfits as well, one with the men's and one with the women's. They distribute them as Seung stands front and center on stage, her mask covering her face.

Chanyeol found her eyes on him, and she gestures him to sit down, jumping off stage and walking towards him when he enters the seating area.

"I'm sorry I've dragged you into this, but can you handle two hours worth of auditions?" She asks in a hushed whisper. Chanyeol looks at the people getting their matching student outfits, which were just black swim suits. 

Being himself, he can only smile back at the thought of being able to freely watch Seung doing anything, and he nods his head. Seung gives off a breath.

"Thank you. You can just take a seat and wait. You don't even need to be here, really. You could come back later-"

"It's all good. I'll stay." he assures. She nods and walks back over to the people, climbing on stage again when Chanyeol takes a seat further away from the stage to sink into the background. The teachers wore white while the students wore black. They go backstage to change and the three instructors talk to each other quietly until they come back, the men in something that could be compared to booty shorts.

"Do any of you have any experience working with this element?" One of the other girls ask the students. One of the men raises their hands and Chanyeol looks at him closer. He had styled auburn hair and looked familiar in a way, but he couldn't place the face.

"First off, we're going to learn real names and help you come up with stage names for practice." Seung butts in when one of the other girls looked ready to chew the man out. He didn't look that old, but all try-outs had to be at least 21 years old. It was the rule here when you're around alcohol, because, when you do s, certain customers sometimes let you drink the liquor they buy while you're at it. There was going to be no underage drinking, and no ia either.

Seung pulls a clipboard off the stage and holds it up, testing her pen to see if it worked.

"I'm sorry, but we'll be grading you like an assessment. It's not anything to stress about, other than creativity, seduction, and athleticism." One of the other instructors explains, pressing her palms together as she spoke.

"Now, give us your name so we can write it down for your stage name." The other instructor orders. She points a manicured hand at the person furthest to the side, directly at the auburn haired man.

"I'm Luhan." he shakily replies, stopping with uncertainty, but relaxing when his name is written down and the instructor points to the next person.

Please log in to read the full chapter