("1")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

There is no reason anyone in the right state of mind will want a computer in their home - Ken Olson.

 

There she was.

Everyday she looked the same. He didn't mean to, but he could already tell the expanse of her closet by the clothes she wore everyday on the bus. She was always on time, always getting on at the same stop and leaving just the same. Her routine was permanently etched in Chanyeol's brain. He knew what she'd do before she even would do it.

It wasn't stalking, just keen observation.

He already plays out what she was going to do when he sees her at the bus stop: Pick up lab top bag, cautiously look at the first step before climbing on, swipe her bus ticket, nod to the driver, choose her same spot in the back and sit down, and lastly pull her computer out with a nervous glance, typing something as soon as it turns on.

She was wearing the yellow shirt and turquois sweatshirt again, the one that only had half sleeves. Her white socks peaked out of gray tennis shoes with blue laces when she sit down, but she doesn't notice him watching her today. Her attention was focused on her computer. She didn't know that he already noted that she wore one pair of shoes, no matter what day it was. It's raining - gray tennis shoes. It's snowing - gray tennis shoes. Maybe she didn't have any more, or maybe she thought the question that should be thought by every girl: Why do I need more than one pair? Why is fashion important?

Chanyeol smiles to himself and fights to hide it so people don't think he's a creeper like in high school. He had to admit that his laugh and boisterous attitude scared many people off in his past. His face would turn red if you asked about his girlfriends, because he hasn't had any. Baekhyun tells him that it's because he needs to find a girl who can handle him, and that only meant that he could get through the masses without getting his heart broken.

Chanyeol thinks that it means he will be single forever, and then Kai said they should celebrate with a bachelor party every night. Kyungsoo shushed him with a comment about the play 'Much Ado About Nothing', calling him Benedick and hissing about how there's a Beatrice for everyone. That comment went straight over his head.

The mystery girl seems content with whatever she did on her computer and closes it, resuming the other half of her usual agenda while Chanyeol watches. Sometimes he wished he knew what she did that looked so important on her computer. There had to be a reason she instantly put it away if someone sat down next to her. Maybe she was doing something secret, but he couldn't imagine what. She could be an FBI agent, for all he knew, but she didn't seem old enough. What were the age restrictions?

With a sigh, she focuses her gaze outside the bus window and watches the city fly by, memorizing the path. Chanyeol was always so intrigued on how she flickered her eyes that fast - catching on something, following, then catching on something else. It was like she analyzed that one object, then moved on.

He wanted to get up, he wanted to introduce himself, but he's witnessed it before. On those days when she wore the red tank top and the plaid flannel tied around her waist, sometimes other men would try to sit next to her and flirt, but she wouldn't have any of it. Romantic gestures were ignored, and intimate suggestions earned small scowls. He didn't have a chance if the other guys didn't.

Maybe it was because he's seen her with flowers before. He's always on the bus whenever she's going home from whatever she does. He's seen her with her day's excursions before. It's the same things, though, with the exception of the flowers. They always change type, and he guesses that they were from a boyfriend. A plastic bag of instant food, fruits, vegetables, and canned things were the regular items. He could even guess that her favorite food was sushi. She bought it so often.

Her favorite flower also seemed to be lilac. Whenever she had it with her she would stuff her nose into it until she got off on her stop.

His hopes were still up, though. they could be for another, herself, a dying relative, a grave, or just decoration. It didn't mean it was a present to her, specifically. Maybe he could ask, but he doubted she would speak to him.

Chanyeol watches as she takes her bag, slings it on her shoulder, and stands up as soon as the bus starts to slow down. She braces herself in the momentum, and doesn't give anyone a passing glance as she quickly steps off the bus and just leaves without a word. She was always so quiet and to herself. Chanyeol wonders if that's a trait, or if she's just shy. he would fix that, if he knew her more. He would teach her how to be open, unless she didn't want to be.

He was so tempted just to follow her. He wanted so badly to know where she went, but he would let her go. He didn't want to be marked off as a stalker, and he was trying not to be. One day, however, he will know her name. And on that day, she will never stop hearing his voice call out to her - he promised this.

 

Time was ticking like the clock that was too loud. Every slowed step was a missed minute in the outside world. The people in front of her that took their time were very annoying. She didn't want to spend any more time than necessary here. Out here people lived lives without knowing what could happen to them. Out here people used - depended on - a program that they thought was stable. Truth be told, anyone could bring that world down.

She's seen it almost happen before. She's come across other programs that could squash the outside world in a matter of nanoseconds.

Python was her first language. She replaced it after she stopped speaking so much out loud. Her words were on a screen, and her actions simple typing that could either benefit the world, or end it. It was funny how technology ruled everything, despite the average day thought of not having enough.

Technology made things easy, but there were two ways to take advantage of advanced computers. You'll have wider access to the world with more internet speeds and modern blah blah blah, but you'll also have crashes, mix ups, piracy, and more and more people becoming skilled in the wrong jobs.

The world didn't need anymore of the stupid hackers, dubbed 'crackers' by a good chunk of the actual computer programmers. Hackers built the system, crackers take it down.

It was Seung's job to stop them before that happened, and every second spent in the real world could mean it ending the next day.

The best part about knowing Python so well was that it was also the language of beginners, and the beginners always sprouted into th

Please log in to read the full chapter