("1110")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

People are seduced by signals from the world, but that is manipulation, not reality. Computers have learned more about us than we've learned about them.

 

There was almost no talking for every meeting they had after Christmas. Chanyeol resumed his beginning steps into the project - marking responses and felt emotions for each chosen song. Step two wasn't going to come until later, when he had selected activities and songs that he understood changed her way of thinking. Only then could he get real work done.

Seung listens as a droned out carnival style music intro starts and she tilts her head slightly, eyes closed, arms folded on the counter. The atmosphere was quiet, even the others weren't hanging around this time for a usual show.

Little did Seung know, Chanyeol requested that they leave the sessions alone for now. He didn't enjoy their interruptions, as he said, but they all knew it was something more.

Seung's brows furrow slightly and she listens as the sound gets louder, stronger, until it suddenly stops and a beat replaces the sound.

"Your scent thickly laced with poison leaves my feet tied, like I'm a slave to your dreams."

She perks her head up slightly and tilts her head to to side to listen more, pursing her lips. Chanyeol's attention was fully focused on her, watching her every reaction and movement. His stomach was doing flips - butterflies mass producing in his stomach.

Who was singing this song? They sounded so familiar. The soft tone of the voice reminded her of someone recent, mixed with the sharp pitches of one other, and the smoothness of a third.

"Your breath melts my desperate heart, and I shout out."

Is that...Kai?

Seung opens her eyes and straightens out her back more, placing one hand to the head phone to hold it closer. The chorus hits and they all sing at once in harmony.

"You hurt me."

Seung turns her head to look at Chanyeol, and he had his tongue poking the side of his mouth, waiting for her response with a mischievous smile.

"Yeah, the pure-white melody of the moonlight. I secretly wander about in the night. The night is like a deep river water. Ssh, I live my life holding this secret tight."

Seung feels her heart pound heavily at the sound of Chanyeol's deep rapping. She knew it was him as soon as the first word came out, and he only flashes his teeth to respond, answering her suspicions.

"Wait, you-"

She's cut off when Chanyeol shushes her and replaces the headphones when she starts to take them off, eyes shining. The hits and she almost feels her breath taken away, blinking, her hands suspended in the air by her ears from her attempt to take the headphones off.

Chanyeol's hands find their way onto her shoulder and he waits, watching her as the song ends. She gently slides the head phones off and continues to stare at him.

"You produced your own music?" She finally asks. Chanyeol nods excitedly.

"Turns out Luhan is into music production. Did it sound good?" He asks. Seung nods her head, looking at the paper he abandoned on the counter, then at the hands on her shoulder. The uncomfortable feeling rushes through her and she retracts from him, sliding the recording paper closer to remind him of what he still had to do. The sparkle in his eyes dims slightly as he moves his body around to get to the paper again. He clears his throat and takes up his pencil.

"What did you feel?"

"Sadness, desperation, pain, a type of fear, and some remorse." Seung quickly states, fiddling with the headphone cord like always. Chanyeol could tell when she started to feel towards him, because that was her nervous gesture in this situation.

He takes a deep breath and faces her again, trying to start step one, remembering what Yoora had said.

With slow movements, Chanyeol lifts the headphones back up and over her ears, taking his time to make sure they fit correctly and sat comfortably as he leans forward. Her eyes had gone wide and her shoulders lifted into the air from his actions, but he pulls away and gives her a thumbs up, picking up the mp3 player to go to the next song.

The beginning had a much more popping tune, a mixture of piano and some electronically produced sounds that might be instruments, but she wouldn't know. A few voices come in and Seung instantly knows that it was another song they came up with themselves. So far, she was understanding that the point of this session was to promote their own music.

"Even if you shout at me to stand up, my answer is no. The shattered pieces of my heart sparkle."

Was this Kyungsoo? She didn't know his voice sounded so nice.

"I slowly begin to burn."

Chanyeol had actually sang. As the song goes on, she hears him sing again and feels him too. He was getting closer to her - the feel of his chest on her shoulder was burning.

"She's dangerously hot."

Seung makes a face, then giggles slightly, opening her eyes again to try to glance at Chanyeol. When she looks, she moves backwards. Any closer, and they would've bumped noses. Too close. Her heart speeds up again and it makes an odd squeezing sensation - making her want to get close, making her want to run away.

Run away. She wanted to run away. She hated this feeling. She hated the unfamiliar sensation, like it didn't belong.

The headphone slip off i

Please log in to read the full chapter