("100111")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

 

She remained in her room for the rest of the night. Chanyeol wanted to talk to her, but he felt embarrassed after her little performance downstairs, and also felt bad that she was pressured into it. It would have been better if he cleared out the room - that's what he should've done. He knew how much she didn't like it, yet he didn't do anything more to prevent her own embarrassment.

Seung only came out to brush her teeth and give Yoora back the clothes before closing the door behind her. Gidae chose to sleep with her, as if he knew how she was the one that found him. Maybe because she enveloped him with her scent when he was first alone, and it gave him comfort. There was probably a connection that related to a subconscious thought about her being his mother. Whatever it was, he followed her around, even when the others tried to pet him and give him attention. He was bigger now, but Seung still picked him up, cradeling him in a way to make sure he didn't fall.

As Seung sleeps, he scratches at the door to let her know he needed to use the bathroom. She wakes up, eyes feeling thick and groggy, but she sits up and looks at him. The others scolded him for always wanting to go outside, but she was patient with him. She stands up and pads over to the guest room door, opening it and letting him run down the stairs, almost tripping on the bottom step. The beagle excitedly waits at the front door as Seung tiredly makes her way to him, hand grasping the handle and turning to let him bound outside. It was chilly, so she wraps her arms around herself as she steps outside to make sure he doesn't run off, the grass wet from the nightly dew.

 

She was screaming somewhere. Chanyeol didn't know where she was, but the undeniable feeling that she was in danger fills him and he runs in every direction, trying to find her in the haze of darkness that swallowed up his vision. The scream was piercing and haunting, echoing in his mind. He needed to find her. He needed to save her.

 

Gidae romps back in, muddy enough that Seung grabs a nearby towel and tries to get him to hold still as she wipes off his feet. When he's given a word that sounds encouraging, he darts back up the stairs and Seung sighs, rubbing her eyes to follow. There's a whimpering sound in the hallway as she walks, making her stop before she reaches the guestroom door to listen. Gidae gives her a tired puppy yawn as she walks towards the sound to investigate, and he slowly trots behind her, returning back to a sleepy state.

The sound was coming from Chanyeol's room. Her fingers ghost over the door, torn between opening it or letting him sleep - if he was sleeping. The sounds get louder and more terrified than sad, she she grasps the handle, twisting it and carefully opening the door a crack, trying to see inside. the room was dark, but she could see his tall form under the blankets, curled up and shaking. It wasn't cold in the room, so she remains confused as she takes a step further in, trying to be quiet. Gidae calmly walks around her feet and goes to the side of the bed, making a whimpering noise that sounded very alike to what Chanyeol was making.

Her heart beats in her ears as she walks over to the side of the bed and sees his face twisted in his nightmare, and then she understands. It could be fever, she suggests, but, when she places a palm carefully on his forehead as he sleeps, he wasn't warm.

"Chanyeol." She whispers, trying to wake him softly. He doesn't respond, so she pokes him. Still nothing. Gathering her confidence, she pushes him, but he still doesn't wake up. if anything, he moves to face the other side in his sleep and breathes out, chest heaving with unexplainable sobs. Seung swallows and walks to the other side of the bed, carefully climbing into the open space and balancing on her knees. She crawls closer and Gidae jumps up as well, his little tail up the air, wagging it's white tip around.

He barks and Chanyeol jerks away suddenly, one hand grabbing his chest as his heart races, the other hand reaching out from Seung's fleeing form in his mind. His door is open, and his half-awake state of mind sees her running down the hall, until a hand grabs his shirt and holds him there. He looks over to see what was keeping him back and he releases a held in breath when Seung's wide eyes meet his own, and he feels the dreamworld melt.

Seung watches in concern as his face suddenly twists and he rolls his body over to grab her completely, the sounds of his awake crying in her ear. She holds him in confusion.

"Seung." He breathes, rubbing his face into her shoulder. The said woman awkwardly rubs his shoulders as he calms himself down.

"Shh. It was only a dream." She consoles.

"What if it becomes real? What if you are found out? What if you die?" He questions, his soft voice seeming so loud in the quiet house.

"What if I live?" She asks, "I know you're concerned, but you have to see the positive side. Where's my little happy virus?" 

Chanyeol stays silent, his body not shaking anymore. Gidae clambers over and paws at the blankets, trying to get under them with Chanyeol. Seung sighs as he remains quiet.

"It's hard. Trust me, I know, and you know I know. Sometimes it's better to be happy than sad, or else everything stops. Nothing gets done, and you only cause stress to yourself and others. I want to see your smile again." Seung urges lightly. Chanyeol pulls away and lays back down on his bed, fingers curled over the edge of his blanket like a child. She looks down at him and leans on her hip, elbow pushed into the mattress.

"I can't be happy knowing that you're going to be in constant danger. What if they you? I wouldn't be able to forgive myself." He bitterly mumbles, clenching the blanket tighter.

"Remember that time when we first were getting to know each other? You had gotten kidnapped by men, and I beat three of them up

Please log in to read the full chapter