("11010")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Witness protection just makes for exciting stories and it's a really rich sort of place to grab stories from... people starting over completely, saying goodbye to their lives before... it never ends in terms of story opportunities.

 

She was rushed into everything. The instructions, the rules - what she can do and what she couldn't do. It was supposed to be a simple procedure, but they had no idea how complex it was. They expected her to do this sort of thing in a matter of days.

Truthfully, she wasn't doubting their expectations in herself, but it was if they planned this for months.

It was such a stupid job. They set up an isolated room for her to concentrate in for the time it took. She had a caller button to her left if she wanted water, food, or was done for the day and wanted to sleep. Security cameras ensured that she didn't do anything more than told. It was organized and straight forward.

Her job? She was supposed to use the very extent of her skills to search for loopholes in the security systems of the FBI server, the mainframe of the government buildings, and high tech military bases. The United States government even got a piece of the action and requested she check out the Pentagon's security, but she told them it was already accomplished a while back. Each system had a specialized web page she was supposed to try to access. Once there, she would type in a special key that signaled her entry.

She gave a good argument about not being skilled enough for that. She was only, after all, a college-age student. People with more years of practice should be doing this instead. Agent Kim waved her objections away with talk about her determination being stronger tan others.

She met his husband that day. The other male had feline eyes and held a curious air when Jongdae spoke to him about her. They greeted each other and the older male replaced his curiosity with authority as he lead her to her chosen room.

When she asked how to tell them apart from calling them both Agent Kim, he said to either call him Minseok, or the names they had when incognito. It was Jongdae or Chen. Minseok or Xiumin.

She sternly told them to never call her S4int after they started to joke about nicknames, and they snapped back into agent mode.

Seung stares at the blank computer screen. It was new hardware, which meant that she had a lot of work to do. There were things she had to install, time to spend, and things to modify. She didn't start her usual hacking with just a normal computer. Now was when she wished she took her lab top with her when she had the chance, but she doubted they would retrieve it for her.

Seung eyes the intercom button and breathes through her nose, thinking about the probability. After a few minutes of mulling it over, she traces her fingertips over the round edges and slowly pushes it down. The headphones she was required to wear beep and she retracts her hand when a voice answers her.

"You rang?" Jongdae responds. Seung slumps her shoulders.

"Of course you're my provider." She grumbles.

"Keeping it real, sunshine. Do you need anything?"

"There's a request, but it may or may not be allowed." She states, the cord of the head phones. It reminds her of her sessions with Chanyeol and she drops it instantly, swallowing the lump in . Now was not the time.

"We can't bring hookers in there. People have tried before, and it's not allowed." He replies.

"Do I look like a hooker type of person?" Seung asks.

"Hey, you never know. I didn't ask for your uality." He chuckles.

"Couldn't you get fired for being so distracting?" 

"Only if I tal

Please log in to read the full chapter