("110")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

A computer is almost human - except it doesn't blame it's mistakes on another computer.

 

There was a freak rainstorm before the sun even rose that morning. It blocked the sunlight from the earth as fat raindrops hit buildings and sidewalks with vengeance. Seeing as winter was approaching soon, the wind was chilling, and the water was cold enough to freeze to your skin. You didn't want to be caught up in this downpour, but there were those who depended on jobs. With a kiss to their family and a raincoat, they trudge into the bad weather and hope to not be blown away.

Seung didn't receive this in the morning, but she also wasn't surprised when the rain hit like God's fist. She was still awake when the sound of hail beat against her window, but it was only rain. After checking on Yoora that morning, sleeping peacefully, a light bruise around , she checked on her father and found him passed out cold until the afternoon - maybe. He didn't get up very often during the day.

Making leftovers for their meals when she wouldn't be there, she grabbed her usual supplies and braced herself for the walk to the bus stop. Only, when she opened the door, Chanyeol was outside, his hand raised and poised to knock on the door. She must've forgotten that their doorbell was broken.

He quickly lowers his hand and stares, mouth about to form words, but stuck. He held a blue umbrella in one hand, water dripping down the sides. Only, he had on a black sweatshirt on and a black snapback. It didn't seem to suit the cold weather, since his ears were uncovered, and it was obvious the way he held himself closely to stay warm.

When he looks at what Seung was wearing, he cursed his own lack of warm clothes. She had a purple long-sleeve shirt underneath a water resistant jacket. The water would roll right off, unlike his fabric sweatshirt.

He smiles, however, when he sees the average gray tennis shoes with blue laces.

He looks up when she starts talking, her breath fogging in the cold air. Without a second thought, she quickly closes the door behind her to conserve heat.

"What are you doing here?" She asks. Chanyeol swallows and she watches his adam's apple bob slightly.

"I just...walk you to umbrella the bus." He mumbles, getting his words mixed up suddenly. He blows a raspberry and shakes his head, "I mean, I wasn't sure if you had an umbrella, so I thought I'd walk you to the bus."

"Okay." Seung simply replies. She steps away from her door and Chanyeol holds the umbrella out for them to share, blocking the rain off of them as much as possible. When the wind blows, his grip on the umbrella tightens when it catches underneath and tries to blow it away. Seung's hand goes up and grabs it with him for extra support and they keep walking.

Chanyeol's ears turn red when he notices that her hand was clasped right over his. She didn't even seem to understand her own actions, but he saw the difference in their hand sizes and wondered how perfectly they would fit together if there wasn't an umbrella in between. Another gust of wind and she tightens her hold over his fingers.

They were rough, she thinks, and made for guitar. He did say yesterday that he played. It wasn't a boastful comment, either, just a statement to make a point. He didn't seem to advertise himself like other people have in the past. Sure, she didn't open herself up much, but that doesn't mean to make the conversation about you.

"This is going to sound so stupid, but how about this weather?" Chanyeol asks, holding up his free hand to catch a few droplets. They sting his hand when they land and he retracts. Seung simply blinks and takes deep, chilling breath that makes burn and release a cough.

"It could be better." She curtly replies. Puddles form in the cracks of the sidewalk and they have to widen their steps to get over them. Most of the other people were running through the rain to get out of it, but they seemed to be taking their time to the bus stop. A pedestrian runs between the two of them and makes Chanyeol drop the umbrella, which Seung had a hold on now. She holds it up and over Chanyeol's head as the stranger keeps going without an apology. By the time they resumed their walking, Seung now had rain drops in her hair.

In the cloudy, dim light they had, Chanyeol stole one glance at her and was captured. Not just because of the way her hair sparkled, but now he could fully see how pale she was. She must not go in the sun often, because she was like a ghost as they walked in the rain. He was so captivated that he steps directly in a puddle and they quickly hops out when the cold envelopes his foot. Pretending it didn't happen, he keeps walking like normal, despite Seung's quick glance in his direction.

"How was your ride home last night?" She asks. Chanyeol looks back at her again and smiles, because she was finally trying to start conversations on her own time now. No longer was it just him who tried to fill the silence; now she was trying as well.

"Ah, I had some trouble with my friends, but I got home safe. What about you?" He asks. Seung's grip on the umbrella tightens again and she stares at the sidewalk for puddles. Chanyeol wraps his hand around hers hesitantly to resume the skin contact they had before he let go, trying to get closer to her when he sees her stiffen.

Her time getting home wasn't the best, she had to admit. After the club closed, she made sure that the other girls didn't go home with anyone too suspicious. When she discovered that all of them were planning on going home alone, she made sure they left the building safely. After standing outside in the nighttime cold, under the light bulb above the back door, she was subjected to the many drunken men who sometimes make their way over there to see if they can hook up with some of the ladies.

Her time getting home was making sure they weren't following her back after everyone left, since the buses didn't run that late at night. She ran into many who couldn't stop making sure she knew how intoxicated they were, until soon she was pushing their faces away from her when the last woman left the club and the lights went out.

She only got to take her mask off after her hair was tied back up in it's pony tail, uncurled, face makeup free, and body normal clothed again.

"It could be better." She says again, with a small sigh. He only catches it because of the dramatic way her chest rose and fell - along with the burst of steam that came from - that usually signaled a sigh.

They go around a corner and see the bus that usually takes them to where they need to go. Steam was coming from it's engines, and the driver was standing to it's side, scratching his head. They stop and stare at what was their mode of transportation for the day, broken on the side of the street.

"That might be a problem for getting to school." Seung comments, looking up at him. She wanted to hand him the umbrella and start walking to the gym, since she didn't go yesterday and needed to pretend that the sandbag was either her father strangling her sister, or the men that kidnapped them for , but his hand was clasped around her's, refusing to let go.

"Where are you going?" He asks. This was a good opportunity to see what she did during the day when she wasn't on the bus. He could play it off as concern for how she was going to go places, since he didn't actually have to go to class if he came up with the excuse that he was working on his project.

"Don't worry about me." She insists, ing the umbrella over h

Please log in to read the full chapter