("1100")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

In short, software is eating the world.

 

It was only a change in her usual routine, but, no matter how many things she tried to explain to Chanyeol, he always came up with a solution. the only thing he didn't suggest was just having her move in to save time.

All in all, she almost did nothing around the house until the session was over. Kyungsoo made meals, Yoora got groceries when she wasn't hanging out with Kai, Suho offered finances until Seung finally allowed to receive a salary for her help. Chanyeol whispered into her ear that she wouldn't have to dance on stage anymore, and she had to bite her tongue to stop from explaining that she didn't do it for money, but for Yoora's mental survival.

Except, recently, Yoora didn't go home with guys anymore. It wasn't official, but it appeared that her and Kai were dating. Yoora was even missing practices more and more often, spending time with her chosen boyfriend.

There was just too much change. It made Seung sleep less at night since she spent so much time with Chanyeol and the others, and not enough time on the computer anymore. She didn't show it, but bags were starting to form under her eyes.

She swore that her own mental health was decreasing. Several times she's thought that she could see someone in the room with her, looming over her shoulder at night when the only light in the room is the screen of her lab top, open to the chat screen. When her fingers passed over keys, she felt that she heard someone walking around. Their father was always in bed at this time, and Yoora wasn't there. It made her paranoid that locking the doors wasn't enough anymore.

But, since when did she concern over intruders? Last time she checked, she could beat them all up. At least she could, until she barely had time for the gym anymore. Plus, she's gotten less sleep before from the computers, but it was different. It wasn't just less hours, but her mind refusal to sleep. Recently she's been having dreams she can't explain.

It always starts out with Chanyeol rapping in his deep baritone, but then it always changes. Sometimes it's either him kidnapping her, or him getting kidnapped himself. When he's the victim, they tie him ropes that she can't untangle and she ends up getting stuck in them as well. When she's the victim, Chanyeol always tries to brainwash her with his machine - at least, that's what she assumes. He never gets father than picking her up bridal style in a pink dress and start walking down a dark hallway, leaving her to cover her head with her dream arms and wake up, heart racing.

The worst part, she wasn't fighting him when he swept her away. It was like her subconscious knew more than she did. Because of these dreams, she didn't want to sleep in fear that they'd get worse. It was sweet bliss when she had rare dreamless nights - just a simple close-your-eyes-and-wake-up-to-morning sleep that didn't take any extra imagination to make up.

 

"Okay, take a listen to this one." Chanyeol instructs. His fingers brush over a small music device and Seung sighs at the counter in the kitchen. A dark sounding beginning, mixed with light humming slowly gets louder.

"I've seen the world, done it all, had my cake now."

She listens with closed eyes, brows furrowing slightly. Chanyeol seats himself next to her and she feels the heat of his body when he leans in close, waiting for an answer. He was ecstatic that he was finally working on his final project.

"Will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful? Will you still love me when I got nothing but my aching soul? I know you will..."

"Almost somber, hopeful. A bit...insecure." Seung states. Chanyeol scribbles these things down and lets the song continue in case there was more. Seung's face changes again as she listens to the music.

"Anything else?" he asks.

"There's...one more thing. I can't put it to words." Seung says, pursing her lips. Chanyeol stares at them.

"Try to word it out. I'll help."

"Ykao. Um..."

"Dear Lord, when I get to heaven, please let me bring my man."

"Concerning, memorabilia - like...like she's reaching out." Seung painfully fights to find words, feeling something inside of her reacting. It was a type of sadness, almost like desperation.

"Oh, it's love." Chanyeol casually replies, writing it down. Seung opens her eyes and looks at him weirdly.

"How can you just say it like that?" She asks. Chanyeol looks at her with his usual smile and shrugs.

"I guess I know what love feels like." He answers.

"We all do, our parents give it to us, but that doesn't feel like love." Seung objects.

"No no, wrong love. There's two kinds: family love, and love love."

"What's the difference?"

Yunjin drops the spoon in her hand and faces her with shock, mouth open slightly.

"You've never been in love?" She asks. Seung shrugs like it wasn't a big deal.

"I wouldn't know what it would feel like."

"You stand on your balcony and wonder what's really in a name. Your heart beats wildly as you peer out at the object of your affection from beneath a masquerade ball mask. You couldn't care less that your families hate each other." Yunjin replies, using wild hand gestures to emphasize her point.

"Slow down, Juliet." Sehun calls from the couch. Chanyeol looked like he was going to say something, but bites his lip and takes his phone out instead, typing something in and pointing at the screen.

"Ah, okay. This website explains t

Please log in to read the full chapter