("100")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.

 

"So, uh... what do you do for work?" Chanyeol asks. Seung magically allowed him to walk with her to the bus stop, but she kept her laundry bag with her when he asked if he could carry it. They hadn't been out that long, but the sky was already dimming. Laundry didn't take that long, except when Seung had to keep rushing off to the bathroom with her computer. When Chanyeol asked, she gave him a stern glare. "It had a virus." She curtly replied. He nodded, going along with it, despite her cold demeanor about the topic.

"Work?" She asks, looking up at him. The tops of his hears turn red when he understands what he said, but she doesn't seem to notice.

"I mean, uh, what do you do in your free time?" He restates, trying to get around the stripper topic. He already pretended he didn't know about it, so don't push his luck.

"What do you do?" She asks back, ignoring his attempt to get to know her. Chanyeol frowns slightly, but looks at the ground so he can see where his feet are going.

"I go to college for Musical Therapy. Recently I've been appointed a project in order to earn my degree." He replies.

"What are you going to do?" She asks. He could tell she wasn't very interested, but he liked how she was trying to fill the silence.

"I'm going to find a subject and study their daily routine. Then, I'll have them describe their feelings while listening to certain types of music, and see how it changes their routine when they listen to it for long periods of time." Chanyeol explains. You could hear the passion in his voice, but he clears his throat and puts his hands in his pockets, glancing at Seung from the corner of his eyes. He couldn't be caught staring; that would be bad. She keep walking with her eyes ahead, avoiding any means of a friendship gesture. Chanyeol clears his throat again.

"I know a quicker way to the bus stop, if you want to try it." He suggests. She glances at him for a moment and stops walking.

"What time is it?" She asks. Chanyeol takes his phone out, but it died a few minutes ago because he forgot to plug it in this morning. He looks up at the sky instead and takes a look at the sun's position.

"Maybe four? My phone's dead, sorry." He replies, stuffing the device back into his pocket. Seung nods and looks around a bit, tightening her grip on her bag's strap.

"Does this shortcut pass by the grocery store?" She asks. 

"I think so."

"Let's go."

Chanyeol widens his eyes and starts to lead her to another street, eventually sneaking behind the buildings and following a few empty alleys. They pop back out on the sidewalk and keep going. Seung expects that to be all, but they keep going until they crossed the street and end up going through another section of alleys. Chanyeol eventually grabbed her free hand to help her when they slip in narrow passages.

"How do you know this way?" Seung asks, getting nervous. This seemed more like he was kidnapping her than taking her somewhere.

"I have a lot of free time and friends." He quickly explains. His ears were turning red again after he grabbed her hand - he didn't know what came over him. He knew she didn't think of it that way, but he surely did.

When they make it back to the street, Seung's trust in Chanyeol unconsciously grows and she breathes in relief. He didn't actually mean her harm; that was a good thing.

But friendship could be dangerous. 

Seung cracks her shoulder and mumbles a thank you before starting to walk to the store. Chanyeol glances around a bit, but then awkwardly followed her in. When she sees him, however, she turns to him fully and he stops walking closer.

"I thought you said you went to college?" She asks.

"There isn't class today." he explains, waiting for some sort of signal to keep following.

"You're sure?"

"Yeah. Every Tuesday."

Seung slowly nods her head and starts to turn around, keeping her eyes on him. Before she takes a step she turns back to him and her head slightly. Chanyeol fights the urge to smile just because he was near her.

"Are you bored?" She asks. Chanyeol opens his mouth to speak, losing the correct words to say.

"Uh... a little. Why?"

"I'm not exactly a first choice to be around. I'm sure your friend is still at the bakery." She comments, turning around this time and heading for the aisles. Chanyeol smiles and tags along with light steps, bending to talk to her as she examines apples at a stand.

"I only had to bring him lunch, otherwise I'm free for the day." He explains, almost like a little kid.

"You don't have anything else to do?" She asks, but her voice held no annoyance. She holds up an apple and inspects it with a blank expression. She acted so cold and indifferent, but Chanyeol knew that there was a heart inside of her somewhere. He only had to find it.

Unfortunately, he takes it as an invitation to do something together, and his smile grows again.

"Nope." He starts to rock on the balls of his feet and Seung moves on to another aisle, looking at boxed muffin mixes and instant meals. He doesn't know this, but Seung thinks of the situation as a last resort, but she isn't offended. It's not the first time she was a back-up plan.

"You need to find something to use your energy." She comments quietly. She picks up a few boxes and Chanyeol is suddenly handing her a basket to place them in. She makes confused eye contact and slowly accepts it, not yet putting the things away. When did he grab this?

"You are flirting with me." She accuses softly, her eyes narrowing slightly. Chanyeol puts his hands up in surrender.

"No no no, I'm not. I'm being polite." He defends. Seung scrutinizes him again and turns her head away from him slightly in an apprehensive gesture. She starts to walk down the aisle again, giving him a few wary glances, then moves on. Chanyeol follows more hesitantly this time.

His plan wasn't going well. Find something to talk about that interests her.

"So, uh, do you like music?" He asks when they turn a corner and she looks at canned soup.

"Depends." She quietly responds.

"Really? What kind?" Chanyeol's voice held a hopeful cord in it. Seung scans the lines of soup, looking for a specific one, but Chanyeol recognizes the label and accidentally grabs it for her. She takes it, rotates it in her hand, and looks at him again. Chanyeol smiles sheepishly in reply.

Seung simply sets the can down in the basket, shakes her head, and takes a few steps down the aisle to look for another kind. She swallows heavily when she thinks about the only music she used to listen to freely.

"A special kind." She whispers to herself, grabbing another can and glaring at it.

"Rap? Techno? Pop?" Chanyeol persistently asks, following her as she walks down the aisle again.

"If you had to put a category to it, then you could say Classical." She curtly replies, in her 'I'm done' tone, the tone that Chanyeol was already caught up on. He falls silent again, yet another plan failing.

"Hey, you never told me about what you did in free time." he reminds her. She glances at him cautiously and sighs.

"I don't do anything exciting." She mumbles, her tone breathy. She was getting quiet again.

"Everyone does something, I mean, I play guitar." Chanyeol objects.

"I don't."

 

Chanyeol insisted to carry the groceries and gave her no chance to object. As they made their way back to the bus stop, darkness already starting to eat at the light of day, Chanyeol led her back through the short cut. He gave a nervous laugh about how he's never really gone through it at dusk, so they should be careful.

He couldn't have been more correct.

They snuck through a tight opening and kept open eyes peeled as their vision decreased with lack of light. The buildings didn't have sources of light or let any in from the sky very well, so they had to walk trepidly.

From the depths of Seung's bag, however, the lab top springs to life with it's usual warning and Seung drops everything. The bag slips from her shoulder and she rushes to snatch the machine from it, hoisting it into the air and pressing her back to a wall. She sits down and pulls her knees up to make a space to place it and opens it up. Chanyeol watches with amazement as she types with vigor, eyes trained perfectly on the screen.

It makes him think about, in elementary school, they were forced to learn how to type quickly without looking at the keyboard. Most of the class cheated and looked anyway, including him, but her eyes weren't even flickering downwards. Her concentration was strong.

"What was that?"

Chanyeol suddenly flattens himself against a wall at the strange voice coming from around a corn

Please log in to read the full chapter