("10110")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.

 

It was entirely too short for Yixing to full comprehend the event at once. They didn't even knock when they showed up, but Yoora picked the lock and swung the door open. Seung only had time to set her mug of tea down and open in shock before two pairs of hands were reaching out to grab her, and she was thrown over a tall man's shoulder.

He mumbles apologies as they start to carry her away, squirming and legs kicking. Yoora had stuffed a rolled up mitten into , which she spit out, as soon as opened wide enough to let it in. Yixing reluctantly followed as Seung spat threats at him, calling betrayal.  He scooped up her lap top from the desk on the way there, walking calmly across the street as she squeals. There wasn't anyone around at this time of day, anyway.

"Put me down!" She screams when Yoora opens the door up and Yixing closes it behind them. She couldn't see it, but Chanyeol had a semi blank, semi depressed expression as he carried her, feeling pity towards the girl he had carried inside. The FBI already checked out their house and said to call them if they contact her. They probably wouldn't talk about this moment.

"Chanyeol, can you please?" Yoora asks. Yixing lowered his head and stood next to the wall, hands clasped.

"What is going on?" Suho asks, coming down from upstairs. He preferred the actual stairs instead of sliding down the pole, but Kai comes right down, holding his head from his hangover.

"This is too early for kidnapping." he growls.

Seung's eyes lock on it. The pole.

Chanyeol lowers her down, trying to carefully place his hands, and she slips loose. They aren't fast enough, and she darts for the pole. She didn't go up the stairs at Christmas, so this attempt was futile. No matter how fun it was dangling from Chanyeol - pretty much just touching him - she wasn't doing this now. They left Gidae behind. Her hands reach the pole and she feels it's smooth, cold texture under her palms, gripping it and pulling upwards. Her feet lock on the bottom and she starts to ascend.

"Stop her!" Yoora cries, pointing in her direction. The closest people were the ones that had just woken up, and Chanyeol didn't want to move anymore. No one made an effort to prevent her from climbing.

The smooth actions cause Kai to squint, then blink to clear his fuzzy vision, tilting his head slightly when she is about to reach the top, but a sleepy Sehun appears and blocks off the exit. Seung remains suspended, breathing heavy from the adrenaline rush.

"Matrix?" Kai asks, his head clearing up. Seung flinches.

"Wait, you're Matrix?" Sehun mumbles. Seung's eyes suddenly go wide, and she makes eye contact with Chanyeol.

"You...you didn't...tell them?" She breathes. Chanyeol looks up and gives a weak smile.

"You didn't want me to." He softly replies. Kai turns on him.

"You knew it was her the entire time?" He asks. Yoora narrows her eyes.

"Oh, so you had something for my sister?" She asks, stepping closer to him. He shakes his head and presses his palm into his eye.

"Not anymore."

"Why is Keung on the fire pole?" Suho asks, looking at Yixing. The crowd gives him looks at Kai places his palm over his face.

"No. You just- no."

They were too busy in their own internal conflicts to notice that Chanyeol had walked closer to Seung, carefully sliding a hand up and touching her shoes. Gray tennis shoes, blue laces - just like always. Her eyes held his gaze with awe, like something she thought she knew was really completely wrong.

He could see it now - the vulnerable little girl that she had hiding under the facade. He saw her desperation to glue the pieces of her shattered mask back together for just a few more years. She was scared. She was afraid.

She didn't want to get hurt anymore. He knew about her mother; Yoora told him about the accident. They were close, and then it was all over. One blink, and she was gone. The person she loved most was gone.

Seung didn't want to go through that again. He'd heard the stories from her sister. It broke her - it broke them all. She couldn't stand another loved one to fade into history.

Chanyeol's hand goes far enough to gently grab the edge of that gray tennis shoe and hold on, feeling her slowly slide down the pole. It wasn't obvious, but it was still movement. His hand could move on, touching her ankle, her calf, and soon her knee. She was getting closer, their eye contact never breaking.

"...only reason you went there?"

"No! She was just an extra." Kai defends.

"That was her the whole time? I'm so confused." Suho comments. Yixing gently plac

Please log in to read the full chapter