("10000")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.

 

She didn't know where she was going, she just knew that she had to get away. There wasn't a place to hide, or goal to take. She just knew the sidewalk under her feet was too full for a good run, and the alleys were quite open. She knew that running wouldn't do anything more than tire her out, but she couldn't deal with it all now. She wanted the time she lost doing useless things - didn't want to waste any more.

She didn't know exactly how far she had gone, but it was a complete circle, because she soon found her way back to the bus stop, like it drew her in. It was a habit, she guesses, to go here. The bus could take her places further away than her feet could go.

Only now did she feel the fatigue settle in. Her feet hurt from the run, her legs ached. It was purely a sprint, leaving out any chance of catching her breath. She could care less about her physical body when her mental state was trying to come back together, her thoughts never stopping.

Of course, the bus wasn't going to be here any time soon. This stop was a morning-night only place; there wasn't a pick-up at this time. The bus that could take her away wasn't here anymore.

She slows to a standing position, her chest heaving. If there was sweat on her skin, she didn't feel it. There was only the cold biting at her exposed ears and face, making her fingertips tingle. She wished it could seep into her body, maybe even her soul, and calm the storm she held inside. She wanted the parasite to stop eating at her heart. She wanted the pain to go away.

There was no point staying away, she finally decides. Yoora was at home. She had to explain that there wasn't a robbery, and then slap her sister a few times. She knew she told Chanyeol something. How would he have known she was scared of him in the first place? But, he already explained that it wasn't that. It wasn't fear after all, just the torture of love.

But, was it really?

Seung blinks her eyes and shakes her head, starting her slow trail home. Her feet felt heavy as she walked, feeling empty inside. It was deception, though, because she sensed her instability under the darkness she tried to hold onto. She cringes when the loud sirens of a fire truck go racing by, blaring it's horn in warning as it turns down the street. Seung freezes in her walk back. Her street.

There wasn't another thought. She's running once more, hot puffs of steam leaving to fill the winter air.

 

The flames had devoured most of the house by the time help arrived. Yoora could only stare as her life appeared to burn away, everything that she'd known floating off in ashes. Their father remained calm as the blaze reigned over, exploding in the kitchen when his stash was found by the fire. It made a cracking and popping noise every time a bottle burst.

Fire hoses were put to work and the house was turned into a smoldering chunk of charcoal and old memories. The smoke came off it in wisps, the houses nearby a little singed on the outside. Firemen walked back and forth, discussing unheard things as they ventured inside. 

Chanyeol stood with an open mouth, watching them all in shock. It was amazing how something could burn away so fast.

Yoora recounts what she noticed, adding how the lamp caught flames, to the police. She explained the trashed house, and how her sister was having recent issues. It wasn't set on purpose, she promises, but they test her drunken father for alcohol levels and set him in the back of an ambulance, prepping him to go despite Yoora's loud complaints and pleadings.

When a girl comes running down the sidewalk, police officers try to hold her back, asking her why she was there and how she was related. She breaks past them and goes for her sister by the ambulance. One man gets his arms around her, catching her from a sprint that was fast enough where she almost toppled them over. After struggling to get closer to the ambulance, she only notices once that it was Chanyeol holding her.

It wasn't a romantic embrace; there was nothing sweet about it. She jerked in his arms as he tried to get

Please log in to read the full chapter