("10011")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

All of us have ways in which we mask and cover our pain.

 

Everything was perfectly in place. People were arriving, performers were setting up their equipment, and guests were already enjoying themselves. Junmyeon had to say that this party was appearing to already be a success.

His father would want him to greet the business partners when, and if, they arrived. Most were fairly busy at this time and couldn't spare so much time away. They could understand this, of course. His father wasn't even here himself just yet. His flight was delayed in Japan.

Junmyeon watches from a white sofa as guests are served soju and champagne - all to their own preference. There were guests from America and China here as well, invited ahead of time. They wanted to see what the music branch of the company had to offer for tonight's entertainment. Most acts were previously planned and widely known, but there were a few local groups that he observed recently and were offered a temporary job. He wanted to see what they came up with for tonight himself.

A few guests observe the floral arrangements spread on the tables and in vases. He wasn't sure why, but Chanyeol insisted they be a main decoration for tonight. Since Kai was a main part in choosing music and Kyungsoo planned food, he thought that it was fair that Chanyeol be allowed to add an opinion, since he needed something to do anyway. Ever since Seung disappeared  - and now that she was wanted - he needed to find a new subject while he nursed a fractured heart.

He seemed excited about tonight. Maybe because he thought she would be here. Junmyeon didn't know a lot about being a fugitive, but it probably didn't involve popular parties and being out openly in public. He'd let the man dream, though. Just for a bit longer.

Yunjin and Kyungsoo were already on the dance floor. It was semi-formal, but also business attire. Yunjin wore a indigo dress and flats, despite her earlier attempts to seem taller. Kyungsoo had an indigo button up shirt to match his girlfriend, smiling his heart-shaped smile as he spun her around. There was music playing from the speakers as a filler for the lack of live performances.

There was a short but loud laugh from the open bar, and it appeared that the rest of the group had teamed up in the area. Kai had his arm around Yoora, who sported a red dress, and was laughing over something Sehun had said. Luhan was linking arms with his boyfriend, next to a single Chanyeol. Baekhyun was checking out the dressing room for each performer. Apparently several of the ones on the list had yet to show up.

More people fill in and the first people start to play. It was a known person, not that popular, and the guests weren't there just to hear them. The piano player had soft keystrokes that let Kyungsoo and Yunjin slow dance together, having a good time.

The couples found each other under the soft light that followed, the music starting the first round of dances. Food would be served on trays and those talking afterwards would be allowed to do so with softer music.

The song ends and the company claps in appreciation. With a break in the music, they turn to talking and conversation instead. Chanyeol and Baekhyun stand around together, talking over something random - probably a video game or funny story. Junmyeon smiles warmly to the people he was talking with. They were partners that had enough time to visit, so he wanted to make a good impression.

Baekhyun taps his arm politely, resisting the urge to run over like he usually does, and the man excuses himself from his company.

"Yes?" Suho asks.

"The final dancer is here. He says he needs to explain himself in person." Baekhyun states over the casual music.

"Dancer? I don't recall-"

"He said something about signing up for a musical performance, and how it was a piece he made himself." Baekhyun adds. Junmyeon thinks to himself, then nods.

"Bring him here."

Baekhyun slips through the people conversing and Suho waits for his return. He makes a few comments to the people on the couch and thanks them for their compliments on the decor. Chanyeol made a good decision.

There's another tap and he turns around to see an angelic-faced man, adorable dimples appearing when he smiled. The expression he wore was one of pure excitement. Suho passes it off as some form of before performance anxiety and smiles. The man politely bows and Suho responds afterwards with a handshake. The man's smile never fades, and possibly even brightens when their hands tough.

"My friend tells me you plan on dancing?" Suho asks.

"Oh, yes. I apologize for the different entertainment style than the others, but it does include an original music piece. It was written by myself and created by my pa - brother." The man explains.

"Wonderful. Was he able to come with?" Suho asks. He sees Chanyeol get closer to Baekhyun, still at the man's side. They start to talk a few paces back.

"Oh, yes, but he's shy. I apologize once more, because he can't speak." The man excuses himself, and starts to scan the crowd. He spots someone and motions for them to come over. When he frowns, Suho turns to look in the direction and sees another person making gestures back.

"I don't think I got your name." Suho comments to break the sudden silence.

"Zhang Yixing, Mr. Kim." He bows again.

"Please, this is a friendly gathering. Call me Junmyeon."

Yixing smiles once more and a twinkle hits his eyes. Suho smiles back and shifts his eyes over when movement catches his eyes, the person from before clumsily sliding between the crowd, ducking behind Yixing's body.

"Is this the brother I've heard about?" Suho asks and the person pops his head out a bit, enough to let the latter give him a look over. The boy looked very girly for a male, but so did Luhan. The boy's hair was tucked under a black fedora.

"Uh...yes. this is...Keung." Yixing looks at him with an blank expression, his mind not working properly in front of his crush. He found the first name that came to mind.

"You created the song? I can't wait to hear it." Suho smiles again, sensing the awkwardness between the brothers. Keung swallows and clears his throat again, the sun glasses perched on his nose falling down slightly. He pushes them up with small hands and makes eye contact with Yixing as best as he could through tinted lenses.

The hands that had been at his sides rise up and make clean gestures in sign language. Yixing's eyes get wider, trying to figure out if they should look at Suho up close, or figure out what the other was saying. They're finished and he blinks, but fights to remember what they had planned.

"Right. Keung would like to know where he can set up the music files." Yixing blurts out suddenly when he finally recalls what they spoke about earlier.

"Baekhyun can show you to the room you can use in the back." Suho explains, clasping his hands together and smiling politely. He felt so formal. Baekhyun perks up from his conversation with Chanyeol, and both of them look in the direction of the others. Keung swallows and hides behind Yixing a bit more, heart racing.

Keung starts to tap Yixing's arm a bit frantically, trying to remind him of something, and he gasps.

"Wait, I almost forgot. The music is a bit different. It's not just instrumental, it's singing, but also not my own. It's you guys." He explains quickly when Suho starts to bow as a departing gesture. He straightens up and the other two join the conversation more.

"What do you mean?" Baekhyun asks.

"Well, my brother has this program that can take vocaloids and make music out of them. S- He had obtained soundtracks of your other recorded songs and was able to transform your voices into vocaloids. We literally made a song, with your voices, that you never sung." He explains. The three had perplexed looks.

"That's amazing." Chanyeol remarks, mouth wide open in his astonishment.

"How good do I sound?" Baekhyun asks, taking a step forward to address Keung, who slides back a bit more.

"I guess we'll discover that when you perform, won't we? Baekhyun, can you show them where to set up the song?" Suho asks, his own interests peaked. None of them seemed to realize that their songs weren't public yet.

"I can do it. You can follow me." Chanyeol announces. Keung swallows again and he backs up a bit, hands jabbed in his pant's pockets. Him and Yixing had matching shirts, one blue and one white. Keung seemed to wearing a bit more clothes underneath than his brother, though.

Keung seems to retract when Chanyeol steps closer - something about the other boy seemed familiar. He would have to think on it later. Maybe he was in a class of his once? They did say something about music. It was probably the same university in some way if they lived down here.

"Don't be shy." Chanyeol urges when the smaller skirts around Yixing like a scared child. They disappear into the crowd again, Chanyeol smiling with both playfulness and friendliness.

Yixi

Please log in to read the full chapter