("100001")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Not everything has a happy ending, and not everything has an ending. Some things just kind of dribble away or cut off abruptly.

 

The first day of everything is always so overblown by expectation, but, in reality, it's just a day to get the feel of things. Jongdae made it seem like she was going to be shooting criminals and getting in car chases, but it was nothing like that. the first day was something alike to what Jongdae did when she was inside the small room, which was basically research and paper work. They received a case to work on together, and Jongdae had a previous case he's been working on for a while now, but all they had to do was solve the riddle.

The second day, however, is what she expected. She tracked the man's phone to a building and they sent reinforcements to pick him up. He put up a fight when Seung and Jongdae arrived in his apartment complex, but he confessed that he was guilty without even needing the labs to do any sort of work. They sent him off to jail and filled out what had happened that day before leaving work and stopping at A Taste of Baozi before the day officially ended.

Seung stayed in the car as Jongdae got their drinks and flirted for a few minutes. When he came back, he turned the radio off and stares straight ahead as they made their way home.

"Good job on your first case." He comments, but there was no sass in his tone of voice. It concerns her until he makes eye contact, and she sees the sparkle.

"Cut to the chase, Chen." She demands and he sighs.

"I just can't hide anything from you, can I? Okay, fine. The board's elected to put you on my case as well. I suggested it because you'd be much better at finding these guys than me, and they agreed." He replies and waits for her reaction, but she doesn't show one, "Are you not excited?"

"I don't understand." She states.

"What's confusing?" Jongdae asks as they turn a corner.

"Nothing's confusing, but what is the case about?"

"Remember those three guys that tried to kill my husband - the ones you beat to a pulp? Yeah, the case is about that gang. They cause a lot of trouble around here, and it's my job to infiltrate, seek, and find them to put them behind bars." He explains. Seung settles down more in her chair, tasting her milk tea on her tongue and swallowing.

"And I'll help how?" She asks. Jongdae's shoulders fall.

"Oh my gosh. Because you're good at tracing sources, thinking of ways out, and understanding the perfect places to do things illegal. That's why." He replies.

"So, I think like a criminal. Is that right?" Seung confirms.

"You could put it that way. I'd just stick to calling it 'thinking outside of the box'" He shrugs and they crawl into the driveway, "Why do you think Zitao trained you to fight people? Being an FBI agent isn't just guns and sticking our noses into people's business. It's also breaking down doors, sniffing out trouble, and figuring out who did it, and that's work."

"I never said otherwise." Seung defends as they step out of the car and head inside, "But that entire contrasting statement agreed with the same thing."

"And what's that?"

"That FBI agents are the same in real life as they are on TV." She states. Jongdae stops walking and reviews his words in his head.

"Oh, I guess it did. Well, those producers know what they're doing, then."

Seung smiles and they walk inside the house she's gotten to know so well. They fixed the fridge after Minseok started to experiment with recipes for his shop, and everyone agreed that it should be done. It was nice to not be woken up in the middle of the night to a howling fridge down the hall, echoing through the halls because of the hardwood floors. Jongdae's nightmares have stopped occurring as well.

Jongdae hums a song when they leave their shoes by the door and head up the stairs, reaching the kitchen and lounging by the counters. Seung opens a window to let in the cool breeze, smelling the rain coming. It was carried on northwest winds, and the weather channel said it was probably going to come around midnight. That was okay, though, because they would be sleeping.

"Okay, so we need to discuss Minseok's party." Jongdae announces, clasping his hands together. Seung turns to look at him from the window, looking far more relaxed than she has for a while. This new job kept her busy and her mind occupied with the constant puzzle pieces she had to piece to find the suspect and the perpetrator - if they aren't the same person, that is. Chanyeol didn't come up anym

Please log in to read the full chapter