("100100")

System Failure
Please log in to read the full chapter

Illusion is needed to disguise the emptiness within.

 

Water; It was always water. Water seemed to follow her around with a promise of death, and it wasn't something she could shake off. He was just going to do the dishes, but it was a lie.

They said she shouldn't see the scene because it would be too much for her to handle. She gave them one hard, emotionless stare and they let her inside, where people were giving statements and people were getting ready to take the body away - there was no need for an autopsy. It was a suicide, and the cause of death was already in action, but something was up.

Despite the screaming girl in her heart, and the blood in from biting her lips, she walked up to the body of her father and resisted the urge to throw up. He looked so peaceful dead. It was the first thing she thought of when she saw his face. He was always so confused, or too caught up in his own world to notice that he was talking to himself about serious matters. This was the face he used to make when she'd get him up from a nap so they could make pillow forts, or to tell him that her mother wanted him in the garden. this was the face he made when they used to go to community pools and sit in floaties while basking in the sun.

Now, this was the face he made when his final peace was created. he wasn't burdened by life anymore, she reasons. He knew the truth before he died, so that was good. Where a space in her heart should've died like the last parent, she felt nothing. There was nothing.

Seung swallows once, then her piercing glare settles on Jongdae, who was folding his arms in the corner. He blinks back at her, not daring to say anything or face her undying wrath. He was smart enough to know that sass and jokes couldn't fix this situation.

The sink was still filled with water, but the dish soap bubbles had faded away over night. Jungsu's body was on the floor, about to be zipped in a body bag. Seung purses her lips as her mind begins to spin, her entire being forcing everything down. This was just another case, she says. Don't get worked up or you'll never find closure.

Her mind spins harder until she stops the man about to pull the zipper down the side of the bag, to which he looks at her in confusion. Seung says nothing as she walks over to the sink and looks down at it's depths. Keeping in mind the state of the water, she pushes the tap over to the dry side and plugs it up, turning the water on and letting it fill. The company is silent as she works, thinking to herself.

She starts by kneeling by her father, pushing emotions behind the fabled door Jongdae always spoke of and avoiding looking at his face. She lifts his hands up and glances at them, inspecting the skin and the front of his body. His clothes were still on, so she quickly s the uniform they supplied here and gazes at the torso.

A bruise on his chest signals something in her brain, to which she places a hand over the same area on her own body, then stands up. The water level was about the same as the other side of the sink, so she turns it off and stands in front of the sink.

"Seung." Jongdae warns, but she holds up a hand to silence him, and he takes a step forward a she leans forward and feel the side of the sink press into the hand on her chest. Her eyes narrow at the water, and she keeps leaning forward until her nose touches the water, then she retracts and turns around to look Jongdae in the eye.

"He didn't kill himself." She states, and her voice cracks lightly. Jongdae tilts his head slightly as she walks closer to him, "Don't freak out."

She suddenly grabs his arms and holds them behind his back, pushing him forward.

"Seung?" He asks, but she twists his head straight with one hand and rams him into the side of the sink, pushing his head into the water. Air comes up as Jongdae tries to protest under the water, and Seung lifts him out just as soon as he fully goes under. Jongdae gasps and rips himself away from her, wiping at the water on his face, "What was that about?"

"He didn't kill himself." She repeats, then pulls the collar of his shirt down, after he flinches, to reveal a red spot where the sink hit him, and how it was similar - if not exact - to the one of Jungsu's body.

Jongdae's eyes go wide and he forgets about her attempt to possibly drown him.

"Why would someone murder your father?" He softly asks. Seung's small victory smile falls instantly and she narrows her eyes.

"I'll give you a guess." She hisses.

"Does it have to do with the A-T-O-B?"

"You have no idea. It's not A Taste of Baozi, Chen. It means A to B, which is a utility software that converts ASCII to Binary." She exclaims, suddenly channeling her emotional detachment into something stronger, which had Jongdae stepping backwards at the sound of her voice.

"What does that mean?"

"What was her credit card number?" She suddenly asks, taking a step closer. Jongdae's mind goes blank.

"Uh..."

"In the report it said her number was 3146 0564 3206 2562. The way ASCII works it that it can be translated into several different codes, one being binary, but there's decimal and hexadecimal. If you look at that number compared to the other translations, it doesn't make sense, but there's another one called ocal. Ocal can be converted into hexadecimal, which is then...666174686572. That translated into binary is...11001100110000101110100011010000110010101110010, which, when converted into ASCII, is father. Do you understand?" She suddenly spurts out numbers, and her fingers twitch slightly as she calculated the responses in her head, taking a few seconds to stare at the ceiling in thought with each conversion.

Jongdae simply shakes his head as his brain spins, but she continues anyway.

"It was a message for me, Chen. It wasn't a threat towards Xiumin. It was a warning that something else was going to happen, and I missed it." She hisses angrily.

"Seung, that alone sounds so absurd in itself. I don't think they expected you to look at her credit card number and come up with that." He objects and she snaps at him.

"Then explain the coincidence." She orders.

"Uh....I...No."

"Then shut up and call the others." She growls. Jongdae nods his head and goes for his radio as the company in the room stares at her in shock, "Besides, it wasn't possible for him to drown that way. The body's natural instinct is to come up for air, and he would've been too far out of the water to fully immerse and fool his body into thinking that there wasn't a way out. Tahw rettam on, ecafrus ot neeb ev'dluow noitcaer eht."

A few people blink and wait for some sort of translation, but Jongdae puts a hand over his radio and addresses them calmly.

"Sorry, she does that."

 

Chanyeol was waiting patiently in the car, pressing his hands together between his knees. Wh

Please log in to read the full chapter