41. Firefly

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

Firefly

It is dawn, and the sun is just below the horizon. Clouds tinted with red linings scatter across the pale brisk sky, foreshadowing the inevitable bloodshed to come. 

Chanyeol looks down from the mountaintop, and he lets out a shuddering breath. He can already see the distant forms of the androids marching towards them, advancing steadily with the arrival of the daylight. Instructed to kill any supers regardless of their age and power, these machines are the materialization of human cruelty and narrow-mindedness. A bitter scowl settles in between Chanyeol's brows and his bottom lip quivers as anger and fear courses through his veins, boiling his blood. He rubs his hands together and reluctantly prepares for battle. 

None of the supers want to fight but they must. Day in and day out, they flee, they fight, and they kill just so they can live to see another sunrise, to welcome another rainstorm, and see the seasons change the leaves from green to brown again. For many, living had lost its meaning other than to just survive out of instinct, and that was also true for Chanyeol, until he met Kyungsoo. 

Before, Chanyeol never used to mind the fighting much because he had no fear. He had nothing to lose, if only his life, but living was always so senseless and insufferable, death sometimes even seemed like salvation. Reckless and undaunted, he burnt everything and anyone that blocked his path with his raging flames, until his enemies are nothing but a pile of cinders and ash. He cared not for the battle scars that marked his body, silently retelling each time when he almost perished. 

However, Chanyeol now dreads the fights because he fears. He has found someone he wants to protect, and he fears losing that person whom he has grown to care deeply for. He fears that the battles would take Kyungsoo away from him, and he fears of returning to a life of no meaning again. 

Kyungsoo made him realize that there is more to living than just surviving; there is also light, life, and love. 

Reaching into his coat pocket, he pulls out the bud of a tea rose Kyungsoo gave to him before they separated. He presses his lips to the delicate petals and slowly, the flower blossoms and glows gloriously in the first light of the day. Vibrating from the earth beneath his feet and through every fiber of his body, Chanyeol feels Kyungsoo's presence with him, and he hears the other man's soft yet firm whispers. 

'Don't you dare die... I love you. See you on the other side of the battle.' 

A tender smile stretches across Chanyeol's lips, and he holds up the rose in the palm of his hand. A warm fire begins to burn in his hand, and the bright yellow flame embraces the flower until petals and stems completely dissolve in the heat. Glancing down at the army of androids again, now almost at the foot of the mountain, Chanyeol's orbs darken and his jaws lock. Then with a burst of power, the flame in his hand enlarges and transforms into an eerie blue as his hair fades to silver. It dances wildly around his entire forearm and waves of intense heat radiates from his body. 

His is burning with his life, and he will fight for a better future. For himself, for Kyungsoo, and for his kind, he will fight. 

 

FIN. 


A/N: This is written in accompany with the picture my friend Nat drew for me :3 (check her out on twitter @yeolcifers). It is kinda of a spin off of Earth and Fire? We started talking about superpower AU one night, and we just started to talk about how cool if Yeol's fire changed colour the hotter it burned! It is based off the concept in Earth and Fire but when she started drawing, this AU fleshed out a bit more and when I started writing, it turned into something quite different from my original concept for Earth and Fire. LOL anyways! I am happy with this though :D There can never be enough superpower au

And before you start asking me when I will update Earth and Fire, I will in April, after I graduate D: Sorry for the delay m(>__<)m