15. Through the camera lens

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

Through the camera lens. 

[g / fluff / photographer & idol au] 

Holding up the freshly developed photo, Kyungsoo squinted at the black and white figure under the umbrella, trying to get a closer look of the man’s exquisite features. Outside it was a night of thunder and windswept rainfall, but inside the tiny closet black room all was warm and peaceful. In the background, soft acoustic music played gently. Smiling fondly at the photo in his hand, Kyungsoo hummed to the song. 

“… I thought I was never gonna fall in love… But I’m in love…" 

He was never the one to chase after idols, at least he never thought to, until he met Park Chanyeol. To impress the girl he had a crush on then, Kyungsoo foolishly promised her photos of her idol. As a professional photographer in training, this was not a particularly difficult task. However when he saw the mob of squealing fan girls outside the television station waiting noisily for the appearance of Park Chanyeol, Kyungsoo suddenly regretted making that promise. Nevertheless a promise is a promise, so carefully raising his camera above his head, the young photographer pushed through the crowd. He was that kind of man, a man of his words and of a single mind. 

When Park Chanyeol finally appeared at the exit, Kyungsoo began to click away with his camera, capturing the man’s every movement. As he watched long legs carrying the idol closer and closer towards him, he wondered why Park Chanyeol was such a big deal. He cannot deny the fellow did have an exceptional built like a model and a handsome face, but Kyungsoo did not like to judge a book by its cover. He’d later discover that the handsome idol was also a dedicated artist and a devoted musician. However, on that particular afternoon Park Chanyeol was just another handsome idol with thousands of fans, someone Kyungsoo could care less about. 

Suddenly, Park Chanyeol turned around and looked straight into the young photographer’s camera. Kyungsoo froze but habitually, his finger pressed down on the shutter, capturing their first eye contact on film. Slowly, Kyungsoo lowered his camera and blinked. Those were a pair of eyes that were serious yet so mirthful. He saw charisma, confidence, but also childlike innocence and untainted curiosity for this world in those dark amber orbs. In a daze, his heart pumped vividly and thumped loudly in his ears. Lowering his head, Kyungsoo watched his hand fiddle with the camera as the image of the other’s gaze gradually burned itself into his memories. Maybe he was wrong, he thought, maybe there was more to Park Chanyeol than he had assumed. All of a sudden, the scream around Kyungsoo became much louder and much desperate. Confused and agitated, the young photographer snapped out of his daze and looked up in alarm. Then for the second time that day, Kyungsoo froze. Right in front of him stood Park Chanyeol, all smiles and shining white teeth. Gulping nervously, Kyungsoo tried to smile too but judging from Park Chanyeol’s bursting laugh, the young photographer wanted not imagine his own nervous grin. 

"Sorry, sorry!” The idol apologized quickly and Kyungsoo shook his head. He tried to speak but his lips became dry and his throat felt smoky. Smiling at the young photographer’s red cheeks, Chanyeol spoke again, his voice as gentle as the spring breeze. 

“I like the penguin sticker on your camera." 

He pointed and laughed again as Kyungsoo fumbled with his camera to also look at the worn out sticker. Nodding blankly, the photographer mumbled a barely audible thanks.

"Thanks for coming!” Park Chanyeol then said cheerfully and waved like a child, “Bye bye, Mr. penguin photographer!" 

Kyungsoo smiled at his memory and lowered the photo in his hand. In the dim room, his camera sat inconspicuously on the corner of the working table, the same penguin sticker still visible right beside the lens. Looking around his small black room, Kyungsoo lamented at the quiet changes. A year ago, only landscape photos and perhaps a few caricatures would be found on the drying line, yet now, half of the photos were of none other than Park Chanyeol. As his gaze wandered over all the photos of the idol, of him laughing, performing and even napping contently on a sunny afternoon, Kyungsoo wondered since when did he fall so deeply in love? 

The rain outside continued to fall and a chain of rapid knocks interrupted the peaceful silence in the night. Half running to the foyer, Kyungsoo swung open his front door with enthusiasm. A drenched Park Chanyeol faced him with the usual wide smile and white teeth. 

"Hey!" 

"Hey yourself. Why are you drenched?” Kyungsoo replied lightly and a frown crawled up in between his brows. However before he could run off to fetch a towel, his boyfriend stopped him with a chaste kiss on the lips. Blushing pink, Kyungsoo mumbled a complaint he did not mean and Chanyeol’s smile widened. 

“I was in a rush to come meet you and forgot my umbrella, that’s all.” Chanyeol explained softly, making Kyungsoo blush another shade darker. Giddy from overwhelming happiness, Chanyeol pecked his boyfriend on either side of his warm cheeks. As he pulled away while Kyungsoo fussed in embrassement, he noticed the photo of himself under an umbrella in the photographer’s hand. Grinning in mischief, he teased his shy boyfriend. 

“Am I not good enough for you like this? Perhaps you only prefer the Park Chanyeol that’s picture perfect and dry, protected underneath an umbrella?” He pouted dramatically, making Kyungsoo scoff then giggle at his silliness. Using his free hand, the photographer mussed Chanyeol’s wet hair playfully and enveloped him in a loving hug. 

“No, I love you nevertheless, even if you feel and smell like a wet dog right now.” He whispered sincerely. Laughing at Kyungsoo’s warm words, Chanyeol tightened their hug. 

The violent summer storm continued to rage throughout the night, but inside Kyungsoo’s cozy apartment, everything was warm and calm. Two figures nuzzled contently on the love seat while flipping through an album filled with pictures of all sorts, of the land and the sky, strangers and friends, of family and of course, of themselves. Making a frame with his fingers, Kyungsoo looked through with one eye just as Chanyeol raised his head. Their eyes met and the photographer froze. Gradually, his heart overwhelmed with happiness as he saw unadulterated love for him in the pair of dark amber eyes he had fallen in love with. 

“I love you, Mr. Penguin photographer,” Chanyeol whispered.

“I love you too, Mr. Park Chanyeol.”   

 


Author's note: the song is Narsha's I'm in love.