19. Choice

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

Choice

[ g / romance / slice of life ]

They left together. Slamming their resignations on the desk, they quit without regret and walked out of the company together. People were staring and whispering, but they could not care less. Because they still have each other, and that was enough. Is their decision a wise choice? Kyungsoo isn’t so sure. But is it the right choice? Chanyeol is certain.

Not giving up on what they have was what they promised each other. Even if it means fighting against the rest of the world and suffer from people’s prejudice, separating was never a choice. They had knew the consequences since the beginning. If they are discovered then it is the end. Unfortunately, the world is always crueler than what one prepares for.

Chanyeol frowns slightly as he marches down the street with Kyungsoo by his side. He still remembers the fear quivering in Kyungsoo’s voice when they made their secret vow. The uncertain but also hopeful glint shimmering in those eyes as dark as midnight sky; Chanyeol remembers everything. He told himself he will never let Kyungsoo feel that way again; to feel as if he, like the other people in his love’s life, will evaporate into thin air one day. He, Park Chanyeol, is there to stay. “You’re stuck with me now,” he had told Kyungsoo with a smirk, “forever and ever, that death won’t even due us apart.” He meant every word.

Sighing into the cool autumn breeze, Kyungsoo runs a hand through his hair. He has no idea what they should do now; neither of them had thought this far. Everything happened too quickly and too suddenly, catching them off guard and throwing their life into disarray. But at least they are not alone. Kyungsoo smiles faintly. He is not alone anymore. At least now he has a shoulder to lean on, arms that will hold hims tight on sleepless nights, and a heart that will love hims unconditionally. To Kyungsoo, jobs are replaceable but Park Chanyeol is not.

“So, now we are unemployed.” Chanyeol says leisurely and balances his bag on his shoulder.

“We are.” Kyungsok replies without looking at his ex co-worker. He is sounding more nonchalant than he thought he’d be.

Strolling down the empty street under the midday sun, the two men’s steps fall naturally into sync. A comfortable silence settles between them. Finally, they both let out a relaxed breathe and feels their tightened nerves unwind. Hiding their forbidden relationship was definitely taking a tow on their mentality and sanity. Perhaps this is all for the better, both think silently to themselves; no more hiding, no more pretending and no more fears. Now they can just be and just love.

At that thought, Chanyeol smiles and nudges Kyungsoo with his elbow. Turning to face the taller man, Kyungsoo chuckles at the eyebrow wiggles and the mirth sparkling in the pair of eyes he had fallen so deeply in love with. Making sure there is no one around, Chanyeol bents down and quickly pecks the other man on the lips. Then he admires proudly at the rosy blush glowing on Kyungsoo’s cheeks.

“Will you, Doh Kyungsoo, accept this man, Park Chanyeol, as your eternal partner, even if he may be dirt poor in a couple of month if he doesn’t find a job?” Chanyeol asks playfully, wittily changing their original vow to fit their current situation. Kyungsoo snorts lightly and slaps the taller man on the arm. Matching gaze, he suppresses a grin.

“Do I even have a choice at this point?”

“Not at all!” Chanyeol beams in reply and Kyungsoo sets his smile free, lips stretching into a heart shape. Leaning closer to his partner with his hands tucked into the pockets, Kyungsoo enjoys the subtle intimacy they share as their coats brush against each other. The sound of their dress shoes clicking against the brick sidewalk echoes in his ears. He looks up and catches Chanyeol’s warm gaze again.

“Yes, I will,” Kyungsoo answers sincerely, “if you will have me too.”

Chanyeol smiles and slides one hand into Kyungsoo’s coat pocket. Away from prying eyes, he gently entangles their fingers together.

“Forever and always.”