24. What best friends do

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

What best friends do

 [chansoo / chinguline / g] 

Kyungsoo narrows his eyes at the pair huddled on the couch and their low mumbling voices are irritating him more and more by the seconds. Hovering over Troublemaker 1 and 2 is Troublemaker 3 by the name of Kim Jongdae, who is already doubling over the back rest of the couch in glee as he muffles his distinct guffaws unsuccessfully. All of their faces are flushing red from their heated discussion and the fact that none of the three housemates have noticed Kyungsoo’s return, that adds another point of annoyance on the frowning boy’s mental chart. Kyungsoo thinks the bursts of Chanyeol’s exaggerated and incoherent exclamations clash unpleasantly with Baekhyun’s slurred mumbles and the random noises popping out of his mouth here and there. Staring at their closeness, Kyungsoo clicks his tongue quietly and suddenly, he has the urge to pull them apart. Idiots should not stay so close together for they will infect each other with more idiocy, he tells himself that and decidedly marches up to the unsuspecting trio.

Jongdae is the first to notice Kyungsoo but before he could utter a word, the latter charges in between Chanyeol and Baekhyun and pushes them both backwards. Caught off  by surprise, Baekhyun tumbles backward and almost flips off the couch while Chanyeol hits his head on the small arm rest behind him and howls in pain. Pleased with his actions, Kyungsoo seats himself in between the yelping Troublemaker 1 and the fumbling Troublemaker 2 as Troublemaker 3 cackles obnoxiously above him at his friends’ expenses.

When all three of his friends have calmed down a little, as much as they could in that situation anyway, Kyungsoo asks what they were talking about. Teary eyed from pain, Chanyeol grins coyly at the serious boy and the latter almost feels bad, until he senses the silly giant sneakily slinking an arm around his waist. Swatting at the hand trying to tickle him while giving a warning glare, Kyungsoo asks again but this time he turns to Baekhyun instead. Blinking as if he is an innocent child again, the puppy eye man is about to answer when his serious friend silences him forcefully with a disgusted look and a hand clasped across his mouth. Ignoring the noisy whining from Baekhyun, Kyungsoo then looks up at Jongdae who is looking at his with mirthful, mischievous eyes.  

“We’re talking about why you’re so squishy.”

The cat like man says cheerfully and he laughs when Kyungsoo stares blankly back at him as if asking ‘what the hell are you talking about’. Reaching out his hands, he squeezes Kyungsoo’s cheeks and forces the boy’s plump lips into a disfigured heart shape. An eruption of ‘aigoo’ and ‘kyeopta’ sounds from the three Troublemakers and embarrassed, Kyungsoo shakes free from Jongdae’s grip. He glares all around him while rubbing his reddened cheeks tenderly.

“See, you’re squishy.”

Jongdae laughs again and wiggles his finger as if forewarning another attack. All of a sudden wary of the grinning trio, Kyungsoo stands up and looks down at his housemates with widened eyes and crossed arms.

“I’m not squishy.”

He defeats himself seriously and both Chanyeol and Baekhyun coo at him without fear. Plucking a cushion off the couch, Kyungsoo whacks the pair on the head as they laugh in mocking pain. Seeing no immediate effect in stopping their teasing, the glaring boy strengthens his strikes, but the pair only laughs harder. Jongdae also picks up a cushion and he starts to whack Baekhyun while repeating “Ya, guys, seriously Kyungsoo is not squishy!”

Even more agitated by Jongdae’s teasing, Kyungsoo’s eyes widen bigger and his face flashes quickly from red to white then back to red. Without hesitation, he slams the cushion into Troublemaker 3’s face and Jongdae falls backward with a miffed oomph. Stunned for a slit second, Chanyeol and Baekhyun burst into a fresh set of obnoxious snorts and laughs as their pointing fingers direct back and force at the chuckling Jongdae on the floor behind the couch and the huffing Kyungsoo glaring holes into their heads.

“Urg, I don’t know why I even bother with you guys.”

Kyungsoo spat at his silly friends and stumps away. Still laughing, Chanyeol chases after him while shouting his name repeatedly at the top of his lung. Jongdae gets off the floor as his gaze follows Kyungsoo’s retreating steps and he pokes Baekhyun who’s trying to catch his breath.

“You don’t think we went too far, do you?”

“Nah, we are just mentally preparing him for when he is presented with his squishy award tomorrow.”

Jongdae bursts out laughing again, immediately joined in by Baekhyun, as they both recall Junmyeon’s earlier call. For some reason as a thank you gift to their dongsaengs, the graduating noonas in the choir they are all part of decided to present an award to each of them. Either as a joke or perhaps in seriousness, they awarded Kyungsoo with the honourable title of the Most Squishy Dongsaeng.

When he found out, Junmyeon was both amused and worried as he fears how Kyungsoo would react to it, so he called Jongdae for consultation. However he gave up the phone call after a minute when all he heard was the other’s ridiculously loud guffaws, soon to be overlapped by Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s shameless cackles.

Looking outside his window, Junmyeon chuckles dumbly too as he imagines Kyungsoo’s shocked and embarrassed face. Even though he feels bad for receiving so much joy from his friend’s upcoming misery, he cannot help but silently give the noonas two thumbs up.

Suddenly, he can’t wait for the choir get together tomorrow and Junmyeon’s exactly thought is echoed by Jongdae and Baekhyun back at the shared house. As they ignore the sound of a plastic bat making contact with something solid and the nervous stutter from their fearful friend, they eagerly text their other friends, inviting them to the choir get together tomorrow. 

After all, they are best friends and this is what best friends do!

 


The beagle line are definitely my best friends and I often find myself in Kyungsoo’s position when they make fun of my childish looks D:< But still, I love them. I laugh really hard at them for other things lmao so we're even!