31. a special kind of hell

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

a special kind of hell 

[ g / humour / children!au / chinguline vs. Junmyeon ] 

Junmyeon is a hair away from either breaking down in tears or erupting in rage.  

If there is a special kind of hell where people are tortured by adorable children, he has found it. Actually, he is standing right in the middle of it, sporting a head of wet hair drenched in orange juice. All around him are screaming boys havocking chaos, careless of his fragile mental state or sensitive hearing. It is only 10:30 A.M. and he is already ready to call it a day.

A group of three boys by the name of Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae are circling around him banging blocks against their empty cups, which were still full with juice merely seconds ago. As loud as their little vocal chords allowed, they sing a song Junmyeon has never heard of nor cares for at the moment. A few steps away, another boy named Kyungsoo giggles gleefully at his friends’ rowdy parade around their caretaker while sipping carefully from his cup of juice. One of his tiny hand waves rhythmically to the steps of the other three boys’ steps, as if orchestrating the entire fanfare like the mastermind he is. Mischievous sparkles twinkle playfully in his wide eyes, just like in the eyes of the three singing boys, and his lips stretch into a perfect heart shape as he grins proudly.

Junmyeon narrows his eyes at the adorable boy who seems rather docile at first glance, especially in comparison to the unruly trio still dancing around him. He always falls prey to Kyungsoo’s innocent looks, but he really should have known better. There is a reason why the four boys are good friends. They are all birds of the same feather: troublemakers and little rascals who should be taught a lesson.

Just then, a series of crashes sounds from behind him and despite the lack of additional screaming, Junmyeon’s heart sinks discouragingly. That could only be Sehun and Jongin. Unlike the five year-olds (with the exception of Kyungsoo) who really enjoy verbally declaring their antics no matter how big or small, the degree of silence marks the degree of trouble the pair of three-year-olds get in: the quieter they are, usually the more devastating Junmyeon will find himself to be.

“Woah!” Baekhyun’s impressed exclamation confirms the wearied caretaker’s dreading suspicion and without even taking a look at the mess waiting for him, Junmyeon lets out a shaky sigh. The three minions marching around him decisively abandons their parade and runs past him, soon also joined in by their mastermind who at least has the decency to look slightly worried. Chanyeol’s obnoxious guffaw and Jongdae’s repetitive shouts of “Jongin-ah!” matched by Baekhyun’s “Sehun-ah!” drill into Junmyeon’s ears, and the caretaker grimaces as his head doubles in size. Taking a deep breath, he braces himself for the worst and begrudgingly turns around.   

At the sight of Sehun and Jongin buried underneath a pile of picture books, toys and other articles from the bookshelf, Junmyeon loses it.

“Oh, my, ing, god,” he mumbles and runs towards the two children who he desperately hopes are not hurt, “are you guys okay? Oh my god. Look at this mess, look at you! Why must you guys always do this to me??”

“He said the F word!” Baekhyun shouts at the top of his lung while Kyungsoo stares in silent shock at their usually passive and polite caretaker.

“Junmyeon-hyung said the F word!” Jongdae echoes his friend and clasps his hands over his mouth for dramatic effect. Next to him, Chanyeol gasps a little too excessively and sets himself into a coughing fit.

“Be quiet for a second, will you?” Junmyeon shouts in return as he get on his knees, working hastily to free Sehun and Jongin. However little does he know, he only made things worst. Having taken their caretaker’s loud voice as an invitation to start a shouting contest, Chanyeol, Jongdae and Baekhyun repeats their tattle-tale over and over again, each time louder than the last. A vein pops on Junmyeon’s forehead and he bites down on his tongue, holding himself back from saying anything else that might cause him more grief. As Sehun and Jongin fuss in broken sentences about drops of juice dripping on them, Kyungsoo’s childish but serious face slides into his peripheral vision.

“You’re in biiiiig trouble now,” the stoic little boy whispers and shakes his head, clearly judging his caretaker, and Junmyeon’s mind crumbles entirely.

“That’s it!” he shouts in a firm voice, trying to establish authority but failing miserably, “Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae, stop shouting! Kyungsoo, stop judging me and get the other three to stop shouting! Are you guys listening to me? Guys, listen to me!”  

He is only greeted by louder shouting matches between the screaming trio and a harsher judging look from Kyungsoo. Sehun and Jongin whines and wiggles in protest at their trapped state, adding more unnecessary sound effects to the scene from hell for Junmyeon. Unable to take a second longer of the stress, Junmyeon growls and hollers for reinforcement, although extremely unwillingly.

“Minseok, Yixing! Hell has broken loose!”

Within a minute, quick shuffles of feet sound from down the hall and seconds later, the door to the nursery swings open, revealing a man with a gentle expression and dimples adorning his cheeks.

“Oh my god, what happened here?” Yixing asks as he walks into the room, quickly making his way towards Sehun and Jongin. A few steps behind, Minseok also enters with a frown on his face. Junmyeon lets out a sigh of relief. He ignores Yixing’s questioning gaze and shuts his eyes momentarily in hopes that it’ll help to reduce his growing headache.

Minseok quickly surveys the damage around the messy room and it doesn’t take long for him to notice Junmyeon’s sorry state. Swiftly, his stern eyes fall on the rowdy trio who have immediately quieted down when he walked into the room.

“Is this your doing?” he asks, nodding at Junmyeon and the three boys first shakes their little heads fervently then slowly nods, before jiggling their heads like real life bubbleheads as they switch between shaking and nodding. Kyungsoo grabs onto Minseok’s pants leg and looks up blinking his huge eyes, his full lips forming into an adorable pout.

“We’re sorry,” the wide-eyed boy says quietly and his three minions instantly follow his confession, also running up to grab Minseok’s pants leg. Hearing the apologies that should have been directed at him, Junmyeon swings his head around in disbelief and gawks at the boys who are flashing puppy eyes at their other caretaker. He cannot believe how obedient these little devils are now being. Frustrated, he runs a hand through his hair but regrets it right away as sticky juice seeps into his scalp and covers his palm. Grunting in irritation, he glares at the four boys crowding around Minseok and blatantly ignoring him.

“Ya, you guys should be apologizing to me,” he grits through clenched teeth. Minseok sighs and turns the boys to face the seething Junmyeon. Without any words, he pushes on the back of their heads and makes the four bow down in apology.  

“We’re very sorry,” the boys says meekly, dragging their syllables out as if that will show their utmost regret. Junmyeon hates to admit it but he does have a soft spot for these children. Even though he has just gone to hell and back thanks to these troublemakers, he still cannot stay mad at them for long. Slouching as he lets out a defeated sigh, he waves his hands weakly.

“Aish… fine, It’s alright,” he says, trying to sound as kind as he can in his current circumstance, “I forgive you.”

However, as soon as the boys rise from their bow, Junmyeon wants to take his words back and give each of them a good smack on the head. Not a trace of regret or guilt is on their faces or reflecting in their eyes. Instead, they mock him with funny faces and Junmyeon’s eyes widen as he huffs up from indignation. Balling his fist and glaring menacingly at the rascals who are not scared of him one bit, he restrains himself from breaking out in curses.  

“Don’t be imprudent,” Minseok scolds suddenly, accurately predicting the boy’s tricks, and he delivers justice on Junmyeon’s behalf. Without any mercy, he smacks each of them hard on the back of their head then proceeds to ignore their whining and complaining.

“Now, now,” Yixing cuts in holding Sehun and Jongin in each of his arms, pacifying both parties, “let bygones be bygones. How about we clean up?” He smiles softly like an angel and Sehun coos at him while clapping his little hands. Jongin blinks sleepily, unaware and uncaring of his surrounding much just like always.

“Yes,” Junmyeon composes himself and lets out a deep exhale. Glaring at the four boys one more time, he claps his hand together, “let’s clean up!”

Minseok nods in consent and ushers the troublemakers to grab some wiping cloths for up the puddles of juice on the floor. When they are out of sight, he looks at Junmyeon who is now sporting sticky hair and juice stain on his shirt.

“Why is it that every time it’s your turn to look after them, there is always some kind of problem?” he asks with a confused frown. Junmyeon scoffs and runs his hand through his hair again, which he regrets doing so again, and curses in spite. Ignoring the question directed at him, he stomps out of the room sulking and mumbling under his breath.

Minseok tilts his head and watches the other man walk away. Although he feels bad, he cannot help but laugh a little at Junmyeon’s pitiful yet somehow comical back view.

“At least it’s juice and not paint this time!” he shouts, and when he is answered by just a middle finger, he breaks out in full laughter.  

FIN. 


A/N: This is the result of cold medicine and a determined mind to procrastinate. I need some happiness in my life so I am torturing Junmyeon with kid chinguline lol. Gotta say, this is exceptionally fun to write haha.
Now I go back to hacking my lungs out QAQ. I hope all of you out there are taking better care of your body than me!