39. come along for the ride

Drabbles Collection (mostly chansoo)

inspired by this awesome song above: 5 on a joyride by Cody ChesnuTT

come along for the ride

[chansoo / angst(?) / superpower au / character death / 607 words] 

Sitting here thinking about yesterday, how we shared a laugh and played.

Chanyeol pulls his phone from his inner coat pocket and places it on the dusty floor. His hands are cold, colder than the concrete walls that conceal him. Outside, the sirens are wailing, and he can faintly hear footsteps approaching closer by the seconds, just like rumbling thunders before a storm. Trembling, he looks to his left and into a pair of calm eyes darker than the many moonless night sky they spent together. A soft smile blooms on Chanyeol’s handsome face, despite the excruciating pain numbing his body and mind. He reaches out, and his fingertips barely caress across Kyungsoo’s colourless cheek, as if trying to wipe away the invisible tear stains that would have matched his own.

He always forgets that ghosts don’t cry.

The organ intro of a song sounds from Chanyeol’s phone and it echoes quietly inside the dishevelled room. A requiem for the young and the brave, for the bright-eyed men and women who once dreamed of a better world.

Wordless, Kyungsoo blinks at the lanky young man slumped against the whitewashed wall in front of him, mesmerized by the bleeding wounds on his love’s tired body. He watches as life slow leaves Chanyeol with each struggling breath, and slowly, he leans in and lies down on the other boy’s chest just like how he used to do. The vivid colour of blood adds a tint of life back in his translucent cheeks, even though it is nothing but a fatal illusion.

Voices become more distinct outside the secluded room, and Chanyeol tenses up. His eyes widen in anger and fear, and the fire of rebellion in his heart still burns fiercely. There used to be so many of them, but one by one, everyone was executed and eliminated. He once had families, friends, and the love of his life; he used to dream and hope. Now, only despair and desolation are his constant companions. At least, he still has Kyungsoo by his side, even if only as a haunting memory ingrained into his heart and soul.  

All they ever wanted was just a voice and a right to live as they are. All they wanted was to be treated as equals.

The world quiets down, and there is only a man singing about starting a new journey from Chanyeol’s phone. The armed men outside the door have silenced, as if also taking a moment to enjoy the modest song. Kyungsoo sits up, and he faces the lanky man with a tender smile. He cups his love’s dirty face in his hands and leans their foreheads together. “I’m cold, Chanyeol, warm me up,” he whispers and draws a faint chuckle from the dying young man.

Everyone has always feared Chanyeol’s fire for its destructiveness, but not Kyungsoo because the quiet boy saw vivacity, beauty, and passion in those dancing flames. ‘Chanyeol’s fire is just like him,’ Kyungsoo used to say with the utmost sincerity, ‘they will always warm you up.’

Mustering the reminder of his strength, Chanyeol snaps his fingers and brightens up the world for the last time. Proudly, he watches as his flames devour everything in their path. His pursuers’ anguish scream echoes throughout the abandoned compound and the rancid smell of scorched flesh saturates in the air. A satisfied smile blooms on his face, and it reflects the grin also glowing on Kyungsoo’s face. Then as he shut his eyes with a content sigh, Chanyeol falls asleep forever.

If we ever make it there, so many pretty lights in our eyes.

Come along for the ride.

 

FIN.

 


A/N: I'm so obsessed with this song right now. Also, I'm so dead from Exoluxion in Dallas. I'm pretty sure I'll be a mess after Exoluxion in NY. I WILL FOR SURE CRY (and maybe write more angst because I'm so damn emotional...) Chansoo may be sailing but you can always count on me to make you feel a little miserable ;) 

please don't hurt me.