Waegukin

LUCY

A week had gone by and So-eun was still thinking about the guy she had encountered twice already. It was by chance that they had met again but she still didnt know his name. She thought about what she could have said or done differently. The thoughts just made her slightly depressed and disapointed with herself. If only she had more time to talk to him. Maybe learned more about him. Her coworker then came to her desk, taking a seat seeing her friend had not even noticed she was there.

"You havent told Bosue about your idea!" Yoon-young stated. So-eun finally noticed her friends seeing she was now procrastinating her proposal. She sighed and looked at the research papers she had done to help her proposal.

"I just had so much on my mind." So-eun explained but Yoon-young just shook her head.

"Thats why you need a distraction. And if you just go up to her and propose your idea, it will become the best distraction you need. Besides, think of the promotion you could get for such a fantastic idea." She was right. She could make it better for herself if she went ahead and try. So-eun looked up at the door to her Bosue's office finding that it was open and she was in there on her computer. She was free and this was the moment to talk to her. She stood up, grabbing the papers for her idea and headed to her bosue's office. She could feel the butterflies from being nervous growing inside her more and more. Within the moment she stepped in her bosue looked at her. This was the moment. She shut the door and began to discuss her idea to her bosue as Yoon-young watched from her desk.

 

Lucy was playing with one of her friends on the playground when a boy came up to her and pushed her down. She cried in pain then looked up at the boy who had pushed her down.

"Why did you do that?" She asked with tears welling up in her eyes.

"Cause your a Waegukin." The boy called her. Lucy didnt understand what he meant but to her it made her sad. Soon all the kids on the playground began to call her names and ignoring her. Lucy's teacher saw this happening and went to help Lucy.

"Kids please stop this now!" She asked. One of the boys then spoke up.

"Appa said she is a waegukin and that she need to go back to where she is from." More students began to continue calling her names again. Lucy began to cry and her teacher picked her up and carried her away from the other kids. Her teacher was sad that she couldnt help her more. Lucy kept crying till she couldnt cry no more. Soon school would be over and her Appa will pick her up but her teacher knew she would have to sit down with him and explain what happened to her.

 

Yunho left the store, heading to the school to pick up Lucy when he noticed Donghae was at another store down the road. Yunho called out to him, gaining his attention before they met up.

"Hey what are you doing down here?" Yunho asked.

"I was in the neighborhood and I knew Lucy would be getting out of school soon so I thought I come and met you before you got off but I got distracted." Donghae explained. Yunho laughed as he then knew what his friend was doing.

"Dont use Lucy as an excuss for your wanting to chase girls around." Yunho joked. Donghae punched his friend in the arm jokingly. The two of them laughed and walked to the school. Yunho looked around to find Lucy but didnt see her. He spotted her teacher and noticed she was waving him down to come inside. He knew then something was wrong. They entered the classroom to see Lucy was playing by herself, in a corner as she looked out the window to see all the kids going home. Yunho was about to run to her side when his friend stopped him.

"Let me go to her. I think you might want to speak to the teacher." Donghae was right, so he sat with her teacher and discuss what had happened.

"What's going on Miss Kim?" Yunho asked. She sighed seeing that he would feel just as bad but she had to tell him.

"Today during recess, they kids began to pick on Lucy and calling her a waegukin. I know it had to been one of the parents who was talking and one of the kids must have over heard them. Unfortunatly I cant do anything to stop the parents from what they say or what their kids learn when they are not at school but I thought you might like to know." She explained and Yunho's heart broke a little. He knew this day would come where he have to sit her down and explain that she was different. He had wished it would have been much later then this but he knew he would have to sit down with her and explain to her why she is different.
 

So-Eun left work with the biggest smile on her face. Her proposal was approved. This was a big deal and she wanted to celebrate. Unfortunantly she had been in the office with her Bosue till everyone had already left. Yoon-young had plans arleady and so did the others so she had to celebrate alone. She decided that she would go to the park and buy some icecream to celebrate.

Yunho and Donghae walked Lucy to the park. Lucy was still sad and didnt seem excited at all to be near any kids. Yunho could feel how upset she was feeling and knew he had no choice but to talk to her.

"Donghae, do you mind and ..." Donghae stopped him there.

"Dont worry. Lucy, Im gonna get us icecream. Do you want one?" He asked. She nodded, not speaking.

"Strawberry or Chocolate?" He asked.

"Vanilla!" She stated. Donghae smiled and left to get the icecream. Yunho sat Lucy down to talk to her.

"I heard what happened at school.I know..... I know that they called you names, but they dont..." Yunho wasnt sure how to talk to her about this. He had thought she would be much older then this before he would have this talk. It would have been much easier. Lucy sniffled, rubbing her nose which had been stuffed up from crying so much. Yunho sighed, finding he was having a hard time.

"Lucy, do you remember when I told you about your Omma?" He asked.

"Yes! Omma is in heaven now!" She spoke. He nodded.

"Do you remember how I said that your Omma was different then Appa." She shook her head. She didnt pay much attention to that bit of details back then but now she was going to learn what she could.

"My Omma was different?" She asked.

"Yes, your Omma was from this place called the US. She wasnt Korean." He continued. Lucy looked up at her appa with another question.

"But Appa is? Appa your Korean, right?" He smiled sadly as he knew it would be hard for her to understand the next bit.

"Yes, Appa is Korean."

"Which means I am Korean!" She stated. Yunho now knew this where it would be hard for her.

"Well Lucy, Omma and Appa.... Omma was married to a man from the US. And they lived here. But Omma's husband died not long before she had you!"

"Appa, I dont understand." She looked so confused but he knew he had to tell her.

"Lucy! Baby, I am not your Appa!" He finally told her. Lucy began shaking her head.

"No!"

"Lucy your Omma, she..."

"NO!" Lucy yelled and then ran off! Yunho ran after her but Lucy had ran through the playground, trying to run away. Yunho was now scared. His little girl just ran away from him and he had no clue what to do other chase after her. Donghae was just coming back with the icecream when he noticed they were gone. He looked around to find Yunho was chasing after Lucy. Dropping the icecream, he took off after them.