The Call

LUCY

Lucy was feeling so much better. She was running around, not sleeping till it was bed time which was good since now she was on her way to school today. So-eun tighten the coat around the little girl so to keep her warm. She touched her face, still feeling that Lucy still radiated a fever yet she shared no symptoms of being sick. She packed her medicine in her pack after she had taken her morning dose. She made sure to put a note on it for her teacher to be sure and have her take it before lunch. Yunho was gathering his things, ready to walk out the door with them.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Of course!" So-eun shared. He smiled and looked at his little girl who was all smiles. She was feeling much better then she was a week ago. They walked out, locking the door behind them and headed out of the apartment building hand in hand. The two of them walked Lucy to school together for the first time. Alot of people looked at him, thinking the couple as odd for walking with a waegukin child but they didnt let it bother them, to them this was normal. They reached Lucy's school where her teacher waited for her with a huge smile. She had missed the little girl in her class. After they watch her walk into the school with the other students they began walking down the street.

"I am so glad she is feeling much better!" So-eun stated. Yunho smiled.

"It is nice, now we can go back to our schedule as usual." Yunho shared. So-eun nodded but she turned an idea in her head.

"What?" He asked seeing she was thinking.

"I dont know! I am gonna miss being him home with her ever other day or so." She shared. He smiled. He enjoyed it too but life required rent and to pay that you needed money.

"Maybe next time instead of traveling we can just stay home on our vacation." He half joked with her. They reached their parting where they had to venture to their different locations. He kissed her cheek, waving her goodbye as he watch her head to work. He then headed to his own job where he work hard so to have the day speed on by.

 

After several hours, Yunho was finally off. He was happy to have the day go by so fast that it was now time to head to the school and pick up Lucy. He was walking to the school with a smile on his face when he passed by the resturant he met his appa the other day. The thought about meeting his appa made him angry. Why would he ask such a thing from him? Had he not raised him to be this way? Yunho shook off the thoughts and reached the school. Lucy looked drowsy which he suspected from her first day back. Yunho smiled at her, understanding how tired she was. He waited for her to walk over to him. Once she got to him, he picked her up and carried her home. She didnt have the energy to tell him about her day or what they did in school, instead she used her energy to fight to stay awake. The two of them made it home. Lucy now more awake then earlier as she ran to her room to play with her dolls in her doll house. Yunho smiled and began making dinner. He knew So-eun would be getting off soon and would be heading home as fast as she could to give Lucy her medicine since Yunho hated playing the game cause he still was working with salty red water for the trick. Plus So-eun was a bit more convensing in the game then he was. The phone rang and Yunho picked it up.

"Hello?" Yunho greeted.

"Hello Yunho! This is Dr. Kwon, how are you and your little girl?" He asked. Yunho smiled, holding the phone between his ear and shoulder as he continued to cook.

"Good! Lucy had retuned to school today, but she still has a fever." He shared.

"Ah, I see! Well I would like to have you bring Lucy back for a check up if possible. We can go over her results." The doctor explained. Yunho nodded, finding he should take Lucy in to get a checkup done.

"Yeah! I can do that. What time?' He asked.

"First thing in the morning!" The doctor stated. Yunho wrote it down.

"Alright we will be there." The call ended just as So-eun came in the door. She looked at Yunho wondering who called.

"That was Dr. Kwon. Wants to do a check up on Lucy first thing tomorrow." Yunho shared.

"Hopefully nothing more then her having her cold." She stated, taking off her coat. Yunho agreed. So-eun fixed her medicine and sugary water and called for Lucy. Yunho watched as Lucy picked the medicine and took it with no fuss. So-eun took the sugary water and pretended to have taken really salty water which made Lucy laugh. He finished making dinner, setting out everyone's plate so they could eat together. After dinner Yunho took Lucy to bed, laid her down and began to read her new book Pinocchio. She listened to every word, fighting her eyes to stay open so she could stay awake but she was out before Yunho had even gotten through half the book. He smiled at his little girl, seeing that she was growing up so fast that he was unsure where the years have gone. He leaned over her, kissing her little head goodnight before leaving her room.

 

The next day, Yunho rushed with Lucy to the doctor's office for her appointment. Yunho had overslept and couldnt believe he was already running late for the day. Thankfully So-eun had already prepared a quick breakfast and even got Lucy up and dressed and medicated before he was up. They reached the doctor's office, seeing they were just opening up. Dr Kwon waited for them and ushered them in too his office. Dr. Kwon had a nurse take Lucy to take more samples and occupy her attention. Dr Kwon motion for Yunho to sit down and he did. He sighed, looking at Yunho not ready to share the news.

"So doc, whats the verdict?" Yunho asked, waiting for the doctor to speak to him. Dr. Kwon brought up all his courage and began to explain in detail the situation. He told Yunho that Lucy had a condition, something that she had obtained while still in the womb of her mother. He asked Yunho about Lucy's omma and if she had been sick during her pregnancy. He shared everything he knew from her name, her condition she had and when she had passed. The doctor found that this was really hard on Yunho. The doctor had explained to Yunho that his baby girl was sick, really sick. Not something that can be cured with medicine for a cold. She was dieing! Lucy was dieing of a illness that had turned into a cancer in her. Dr. Kwon shared how amazed he was with Lucy having survived so long and showed no symtoms. But now, now it was worse and her health was deminishing. They would have never had discovered it if it wasnt for Lucy getting really sick recently but it would have been better if he had known the first time she was sick after birth. Yunho wept! How could it be that he was going to lose his baby girl to a disease that was growing inside of her. Dr. Kwon tried what he could to comfort him the best he could. He even shared that there was even medical test they could have done that could help slow the disease but that required Lucy living in the hospital, required money they didnt have just to see if these test would work or make it worse. Yunho watched Lucy with the nurse as they laughed and played with the toys in the play area. The thought that at any given moment, she could get worse and there would be nothing he could do but watch. More tears escaped him. With time, no matter how long or short, he would have to say goodbye.