Little Lady Bug

LUCY

A few days had gone by, Lucy was still enjoying her new movie So-eun had bought her. She would watch it as many times as she could and Yunho was just starting to get annoyed with the movie. Yunho watched as his daughter tried to sing the song from the movie as best she could. He chuckled at how adorable she was being. It was another day he had off to enjoy time with his daughter before she had to return to school and he to work. He decided to go through her back pack, checking on her work and see if the teacher sent any letters about events or projects. He came across a personal letter from the teacher to Yunho. Curious as to why she was sending a letter he had no clue so he opened it up to read.

'To Mr. Jung,

      This Friday the students will be presenting a family photo album to share to the other students about their family. I understand that the situation with Lucy is much different then the other students, not to mention the hard time she has been having in school with the students picking on her. I will understand if she didnt want to participate in this project, but if she wants to I will be happy to have her join in. The students will present their album to the class as well as the parents on Friday night. I do hope that she will enjoy this project as well as to see you there Friday night when she presents it. If you have any questions please do email me at [email protected]

                                                                                        P.S. Instructions are in her folder for the project.

                                                                                                                            Mrs. Lee'

 

After reading the letter, Yunho looked in the folder to find the instructions. He read it to find that Lucy would have to tell about her mother as well as how he became her Appa. He sighed, not sure he wanted to start that conversation again. He left Lucy in the living room where she was watching Tarzan, walking down the small hall toward his bedroom. He didnt have much in his room, just a few pictures of Lucy and his highschool diploma. He even had a picture of his family who he hadnt seen in awhile. He stopped infront of his closet to open it to find a old box that he hadnt seen in so long. It was an old cardboard box with Lucy's name on it. It was the only thing left from her Omma. Yunho pulled it out, finding it still looked like it did when she had given it to him. He sat down on his bed and set the box next to him. He could remember when Lucy's Omma first brought him Lucy and how she asked if he could look after Lucy. He had accepted but he didnt know that she would never return. He opened the box to find alot of paper work which he had to fill out with lawyers and child services when he was told about Lucy's omma. She had died from her operation and left her only child in the world alone. He set them aside and continued to dig into the box. He found pictures of Lucy when she was only a baby. When she was first born, still covered in blood from the birthing process. Their was pictures of Lucy days after birth and even with her omma who had long passed away. He came a cross another picture which was a cute professonal picture of Lucy as an infant dressed as a little lady bug. It was one of his favorite pictures of her. It was the same day he met his baby girl. He had only moved into the apartment not long after they had. Lucy was all dressed up in her lady bug outfit while her omma carried her out. Yunho smiled cause he remembered Lucy had opened her eyes and looked at him. He was fasinated by her little blue eyes. He set the picture in another pile and continued through the pictures. It was then he found a picture that he hadnt seen in so long. It was a picture of Lucy's Omma and real Appa on their wedding day. Her omma was dressed in her white wedding dress and her appa in his military uniform. He knew nothing of the man who was her biological appa but he knew that he was an honorable man who served his country and died too young. He never got to meet his own child. Yunho looked at all the many pictures of her family as he could feel tears starting to well up in his eyes. Even though the things that happen to her family was indeed tragic but because of them, he was able to have such a lovely baby girl that he loved and adored. He could never be thankful enough for having the chance to be her appa and raise her like he has been for these many years. The door creeked open, Yunho looked up to see Lucy had opened the door.

"Appa, what are you doing?" She asked. Yunho wiped away his tears and waved Lucy to come over. She came running to him and she held her hands out. Once she was to him, he picked her up and set her in his lap.

"Baby, you remember our talk about your omma?" He asked. She nodded.

"And do you remember when I told you that I wasn't Omma's husband?" He asked.

"You said that you were not my real appa." She answered.

"That's right, but you know that I am still your Appa. Even if we are still different." He stated. She nodded. He was so happy that she understood. He didnt want a repeat of that time in the park. He smiled at her then picked up some of the pictures.

"Would you like to know about your Omma and Appa?" He asked. She looked up at him with big eyes. She never really got to meet her real appa and she didnt remember her omma. Yunho could tell she wanted to learn what she could. He pulled out a picture of her parents wedding day.

"This is your parents. Here in the white dress is your Omma and here in the nice military suit is your Appa. This was their wedding day." He shared. She studdied the pictures seeing the smile on their faces. Her Omma had long blonde hair just like she did and her Appa and stunning blue eyes.

"They look really happy!" Lucy stated. Yunho nodded. He pulled out another photo which was a picture of her omma. She was pregnant with Lucy. Lucy looked closely at her Omma's tummy seeing something was old.

"Why is Omma's tummy so big here?" She asked. He smiled.

"Cause inside her tummy is you. You were growing inside her." He explained. Lucy turned to him with a questionable look.

"How did I end up in her tummy?" She asked. Yunho smiled awkwardly, not sure he was ready to have the birds and the bees talk with a child. He avoided that question and moved on to more photos. They looked at her appa's military photos, her ommas pictures from before her husband past down to all the baby pictures. But Yunho save his favorite for last.

"Alright, here is the last one and its my favorite." He pulled out the picture of her in her lady bug outfit. Lucy looked like she was asleep in the picture. She looked at him with the biggest grin.

"Thats me?" She asked. He laughed at her excitement.

"Yes baby thats you. And do you know why this is my favorite picture?" He asked.

"Why?" She clearly had no clue but he wanted to ask.

"Cause on the day this picture was taken, is the day that I first met you my little lady bug!" He answered. He kissed her little head as they looked at the picture together. They looked through the box to find more pictures, paper work and even Lucy's very first baby blanket. There was even a vhs tape with Lucy's name on it. It was dated for a date far into the future. Yunho guessed it was a tape her omma had made in case she wasnt to make it through her surgery. He didnt pay attention to it much since it was dated for a date so far away from now.

 

Friday soon came and Yunho was at the school just in time when the teacher called Lucy up to present her family. Yunho took a seat and watched his little girl nerveously start talking.

"M-my name is Lucy. I had a Omma and a Appa, but before I was born my appa went to war and didnt come back. Omma soon had me but she was sick. So she found my new Appa! Appa was young but loved me so much. One day Omma left me with Appa to see the doctor but she too didnt come back." She explained. Yunho could hear a few gasps of sorrow from some of the parents. The teacher smiled at Lucy knowning that this presentation was actually going to help her by having the other parents understand. Lucy pointed to each picture as she told her story.

"Appa was young but he still cared for me cause he loved me. Even though its only us two, we have many friends who are like family. My oppas!" She shared a picture which was something Yunho had pulled from his own photo album of his friends Heechul, Donghae and Siwon.

"So even though my real Appa and Omma are gone, I still have a family even if its small. I am still blessed!" Lucy finished her story and everyone clapped. Yunho was so proud of his little girl. He couldnt have raised her different. After that day, Lucy didnt come home crying all the time and wasnt afraid of the other kids. She was happier now with school which made Yunho happy. Yunho bought some frames for the pictures and put them up in the apartment. Lucy wanted them to be hung in the living room for everyone to see but Yunho felt that she should have her parents in her room so that she could look at them when ever she wanted to. Lucy was soon fast asleep in her bed after he had read her a bed time story. He looked up at the picture of her parents with a smile.

"I hope I am making you both proud and raising her the way you would have wanted to raise her. I thank you both for letting raise her as my own." He whispered to the couple in the picture. He knew he would never get a response but he hoped they were watching over them and looking after them both.