Practice

Bus Stop Strangers

Since you're here, do you want to watch us practice?” SanDeul asked. You could tell by the look in his eyes that he was hopeful you'd agree.

 

The floor was clean now, you were pretty sure you had done most of the work, and you were still hungry. Not wanting to see disappointment on his face, you agreed to watch them practice, though you really wanted to go get something to eat.

 

“Great!” SanDeul exclaimed happily. He took hold of your hand and started to drag you along. You suddenly felt your heart beat quicken and didn't know why. You yanked your hand free from SanDeul's. He glanced back at you, looking slightly crestfallen.

 

“Why do you guys practice so often?” you asked, your strides now matching his. The crestfallen look on his face disappeared at your question.

 

“Well, we're still a rookie group,” he replied. “There's a lot of competition. We really don't practice as often as you might think. We have a lot of schedules.”

 

You nodded and stopped walking when he did. He opened a door and motioned for you to enter first.

 

“SanDeul, manager hyung said-” A boy who looked to be around the same age as SanDeul started to speak, but he cut himself short when he noticed you. SanDeul entered the room not long after you.

 

“____-ssi, these are the other members of my group,” SanDeul stated. They each introduced themselves politely. “___-ssi is the reason I keep getting scolded by manager hyung,” he said. You glared over at him and elbowed him in the side. He winced and took a step away from you.

 

“It's nice to meet you,” you said, smiling as kindly as you could. “I had brought lunch to share with all of you, but SanDeul kind of ruined it.”

 

There were multiple complaints directed in SanDeul's direction. SanDeul lowered his head in shame and apologized.

 

“Can we just get practice over with?” SanDeul asked, eager to move on.

 

You walked across the room and took a seat in a slightly dusty corner of the room. B1A4 got into their positions and then the music started. You watched as they moved and admired how much effort they were putting into their practice, even for such a simple dance. When they were finished you started to clap, you didn't know why, it was just a natural reaction. The members slowly looked over at you, seeming surprised by your enthusiasm. Your clapping slowed and you offered them an awkward smile.

 

“That was cute,” you said, your voice louder than you thought it would be considering how embarrassed you felt with them staring at you. “You are all so energetic...” You watched as slow smiles started to spread across all of their faces.

 

“Thank you,” they said together. SanDeul seemed to be smiling the brightest of all, you noticed.

 

“You're welcome,” you replied.

 

Their manager came into the room and told them that lunch had arrived. SanDeul came over to you and knelt down to your eye level.

 

“Want to eat with us?” he asked.

 

“No, I really should be getting back to school,” you replied.

 

“Okay,” he said, looking slightly disheartened. Suddenly he smiled and stood. He reached his hand out and you took it. He helped you to your feet, you expected him to release your hand but he didn't. “I'll see you out, okay?”

 

Sure,” you replied, letting him lead you to the door. His group members called out their farewells.

 

As the two of you headed towards the exit of the building you break the silence, saying, “The practice was really good. Everyone looked like they were enjoying themselves but you all looked like you were working hard too. And... I wonder, why do you do it? How can you?”

 

SanDeul sent a confused look in your direction.

 

“Okay,” you started with a sigh. “What I mean is... idols aren't paid well, right?”

 

“___-ssi, it's not about the money,” SanDeul replied, his tone serious.

 

“Then what is it?” you asked, wanting to understand why idols put themselves through so much.

 

“It's about doing something you love. I love singing,” he replied. “It's when I'm happiest.”

- - - - -

A/N: Darn, I meant to actually have the other members do stuff and what not, but that didn't happen.  If they don't get too much attention in this fic I'll just have to write a fic for each of them as well... We'll see about that though -_-  Anywho, this has been the longest chapter so far, I hope you enjoyed it and I'll try to update soon ^_^