Coming Back

Start of something new

 

“4:30 pm. Why is it taking forever for her to get here?” An impatient man wearing a mask and a hat was tapping his feet in his van. “Aish! Manager-hyung, why is it taking forever?”

“Haha! Yong Bae-ah, will you quit tapping your foot. It’s irritating. She’ll be here in 15 minutes. We are just waiting for the..” his speech was cut when the PA starting announcing the flights that where arriving one by one and Yong Bae listened patiently.

“ANNOUNCING THE ARRIVAL OF PR107, FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO INCHEON, PLEASE PROCEED TO GATE 7.”

“AIYA! Manager-hyung ppali!!!” he nearly jumped out of the van.

“Make sure your disguise is perfect. We don’t want fan girls charging up to you inside. We might not get to see Claudette because of that.” His manager reminded him.

“Neh, hyung. They wouldn’t know Tae Yang is in the building. Kaja!” after saying that, he went off the van and proceeded to the arrival area. He checked his disguise one more time before entering the airport. He saw a lot of people going out of the arrival gate. He stood tiptoed looking for her. When he finally saw her, he jumped up and down and shouted, “Chinguya! Chinguya!! Ya! DETTE!”

The lady he was shouting at finally looked at him and smiled. “Aigoo, Young Bae.” She said to herself and walked over to the jumping man. “You never grow up, do you?” she said while giving him a hug. “and do you mind, can you please not jump? I’m suffocating here.” Young Bae stopped jumping and enveloped his best friend with a tight bear hug. “I’ve missed you, yeobo! How are you?” “Haha! I’m great,yeobo! How about you? Oh, annyeong oppa.” He said bowing down to the man standing next to Young Bae. “Annyeong Claudette.  Did you have a good flight?” he asked while bowing as well. “Neh, oppa.” She replied. “Well, Kaja! We wouldn’t want to let Sunbae waiting right?” he said as he took Claudette’s luggage. It wasn’t that long walk to the parking lot. Young Bae wouldn’t stop filling her in with all the details that he did and with all of his stories they didn’t notice that they were in front of her godfather’s house. As she got down, she looked at the gates and smile dto herself.

“Still remember when we used to try climbing up the gate?” Young Bae said as he saw the reaction of Claudette.

“Yea, it was just like yesterday.” She agreed. “I still remembered the time that you cried when you bumped your head here.” She said as she pointed into one part of the gate.

He chuckled, and held the finger she was using to pointing. “Yea, you panicked and you rushed inside your house and got an ice pack and held it on my bump and said, “Young Bae don’t cry. I’m here so don’t worry I will make the pain go away.” And you held my hand and smiled, and that’s when I said that I am also the one that will do the same for you.”

She smiled at him and held his hand. “Kaja, yeobo. Appa is waiting.” She led him inside. As soon as she opened the door, a loud POP was heard. “WELCOME BACK, CLAUDETTE!” She was surprised and laughed. She gently tugged Young Bae’s hand and said, “You could have dropped a hint that everyone was here.” “Sorry.” was all he mumbled. She let go of Young Bae’s hand and went to hug his godfather. “Appa. I’ve missed you.” “Me too, princess. Welcome back.” He said as he hugged back. His wife was there together with his baby. She greeted them with a bow and she was surprised when she hugged her and told her that she couldn’t wait to watch Cats. She smiled and then went around hugging her other visitors. Young Bae’s group members where all present. She high fived a tall man with charismatic eyes. “Seunghyun oppa. How are you?” “I’m good princess. TOP at your service.” He said with a bow and a chuckle. Next top was a young boy that had panda eyes, “did you sleep well maknae?” she asked him. “Ne, Umma. I’m so happy you’re back.” He hugged her and she hugged him back. “My princess!” he shouted as he hugeed her and twirled her around. “hehe. Nice to see you too, jiyong.” He smiled at her and bowed down.”Daesungie.” she said as she went over and hugged her dongsaeng. “Noona.” He said quietly.

The night was filled with laughter, food and a lot of catching up. Finally, it was time to say good-bye as the boys of Big Bang had an early schedule the next day. “I promise I’ll finish it fast so I can hangout with you.” Young Bae said as he gave his best friend a hug. She smiled and said, “Okay. But, don’t worry about me, arasso? Just give me a holler when you’re done.” With one final hug he left with the rest. She gently closed the gate and was about to go up when she noticed the swing in the garden. She smiled to herself and went there. She didn’t a shadow behind her until it spoke.

“Well, ah-ki, you know that thing will cave in if you sat in it, right?”

“I know, appa.” She said as she walked over to him and gave him a hug. “I’m just remembering when you used to pushed me really high. You said that if I just reach out, hard enough, then, I could touch the sky.”

“And you said that when you do, you will be extending out your hand to get me.” He said as he looked at the swing. “It’s nice to have you back here. But, will you be comfortable?” he asked as he turned her to face him.

“Actually, appa, I was gonna ask you if I could like just find an apartment. I don’t want to interfere with you and her. I mean, things aren’t the same as before.” She smiled. “and I’m like 22 years old, I think I can leave on my own now.”

He sighed. “My ah-ki. My princess. When did you grow up?” he walked towards the swing and said, “I didn’t want to take this out because I knew that this would only remind me that you were once 5. But,” he turned around, “we had expected that answer.”

“We?” she was puzzled.

“We. Me, your godmother and your parents. They did expect that you will say that and so,..” he took something out of his pocket.

“Keys? Appa? Is this what I think it is?” she looked at the keys with big eyes.

“Well, Young Bae and I went out a few days ago and saw this apartment near here. It’s just right for my princess. 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room, 2 bathrooms and a small terrace. It’s in Sharp City near Han Kang.”

Her eyes lit up, “Jinjja-yo?! For real? Oh appa!” she clasped her hands.

“Yep, and tomorrow..”

“We will go out shopping for furnitures.”

They turned around to see his wife. She smiled and said, “It will be nice if we can do family things like that, Claudette. You don’t mind that do you?”

“No, not at all.” She said as her godfather gave her the keys and walked over to his wife.

“THAT WILL BE FUN ESPECIALLY IF ITS WITH ME!”

They all turned around to see Young Bae at the gate shouting.

“Will you just shut up, Young bae?! You’ll wake the baby.” She said as she passed her godparents and went to open the gate. “What the hell are you doing here? Don’t you have a sched to do tomorrow?”

“Yes. But, Manager-hyung said that it was not a big deal and that I could skip it. Is that okay, sunbae?” he asked Yang Hyun Suk. He looked at him for a while and just when Young Bae thought he was in trouble.

“Yea. Now, both of you get some sleep. We have a lot of things to shop tomorrow.”

“Neh! Kaja! Let’s go up.” The two run up but was extra careful as they entered the house and went up to her room.

“It’s been awhile since I’ve been here.” Young Bae said as he went inside and sat on the bed.

“Haha! It should because its been awhile since I came back.” She said. “not unless, you sneaked in here Dong Young Bae?”

He was taken aback. “haha! I wouldn’t want to enter a witch’s lair. It might be filled with curses and stuff. Don’t want this handsome face turning into a frog.”

She threw her pillow at him and told him to get ready. She went into her bathroom inside the room while Young Bae went out to the bathroom outside the hall. It was like old times. Young Bae and Claudette had been best friends since forever. Even though she flew back and forth they still continued to maintained the communication and friendship. After they changed into their pyjamas and brushed their teeth, they both went to bed. But, just as Claudette was about to sleep, Young bae said something that startled her.

“Claudette. I’m so sorry I wasn’t there when he died.” He held her hand in his as they sat on the bed facing each other. “It must have been hard for you. I couldn’t believe I failed you when you needed me. I wanted to fly there as soon as I heard but, I couldn’t. I didn’t.” he bowed his head after saying this. It was obvious that the famous Tae Yang was such a cry baby.

“Anni. Yeobo. Dong Young Bae, your messages where such great comfort. I did feel alone that time when he died.” Her lips quivered as the pain started to surface again. “But, “she said as her voice trembled and warm tears started to fall. “I learned to be strong for myself. You know how pampered I was when I was young, with Topher’s death.” She stopped. He looked at her, his eyes filled with sorrow. “I learned how to depend on myself. It’s not easy. I’m still getting by, I’m still trying to live as normally as possible. When I was at the point of breaking,” he looked at her with wide eyes.”Yes, I almost did that but, when I saw your picture on my study table. I remembered the message you sent me when you learned that he passed away. You said that God may have a purpose for everything that is happening. That nothing happens without reason. And that I will find the answer with His help at the right time.” She was sobbing so hard now. Young Bae, pulled her into a hug.

“Claudie, its true. Maybe you, coming here is the start.” He said as he consoled her. “Maybe” she said breaking the hug. “So, Dong Young bae, never think that you weren’t there for me. You were there. Kamsahamnida, chinguya. I’m so lucky to have the bestest best friend ever.”

He chuckled, “Komawo. Me, too. I have a best friend that everyone would be dying to have.” He kissed her forehead. “Kaja, we need to sleep now. Shopping would be so tiring tomorrow.”

Claudette smiled and said, “not really. You are just plain lazy.”

Young Bae embraced Claudette as they lied down on the bed. It was like when they were little, Young Bae, hummed their song, Remember me this way. This was the first movie that they watched together and they both ended up crying. He smiled as he remembered it. It didn’t take long before the soft sobs died and Young Bae knew that she fell asleep

“I won’t let you feel that pain again, Claudie. Things will change now that you are here. I’ll help you find the answer to your questions.” He snuggled a little and then closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.