Starting a new chapter

Start of something new

"As long as you're here with me, I know I will be fine." Claudette said as she stood at her fiancee's graveyard. This is was the day that she will be moving to Korea. She got a call from her godfather last week that she was casted in the musical, Cats in Korea. He had sent her audition video to the casting auditions with the permission of her parents. She still remembers when her godfather told her about it.

"Claudette, your godfather wants to tell you something. He is on the phone." her mother called out to her.

"Oh, okay. I'm getting it here in my room mom." she shouted back.
"Yeoboseyo, appa! Gwenchanayo?"

"Ah, ah-ki! Gwenchana. I called because I got a message from the production of the musical Cats here in Korea and they want you to come and be a part of the production."

"Say what now?!" she was suprised. She never thought that she'd be called back but, wait she never did get to pass her audition tape. "Jjinja? but, appa, I haven't.."

"your parents." his godfather cut in.

All she can do was say Oh. Her parents and his godfather, Yang Hyun Suk were good friends and she would often spend her vacation in Korea with him. She grew up calling him appa and he in turn called her baby and even when he had his own baby he would still call her that. He was well aware that she was having a difficult time since her fiancee passed away. And since he loved her like her own child, he was worried and since he knew how much she loved being in theatre. He grabbed all connections he had and got her to do the audition for the musical she loved so much.

"But, appa. I don't know. When is the call back?"

"Um..2 weeks from now. So, will you be coming? I don't want to force you but, Cats is one of the greatest musicals and I know how much you wanted to be a part of it. And it will somehow ease your parents and my worries if you would get preoccupied with something like this, it will help you move on."

"Haha." was the only thing she can say, although it was a little weak. Appreciating the concern of her parents and god parent, she gave it a little thought. "It wouldn't hurt to give it a try right, appa?"

He smiled and said, "Atta girl! So, when will you be arriving?"

"Monday, next week. I need to prepare some things, appa. So, don't get too excited to see me, arrasso? hehehe."

"Hahaha! I won't. Its just that Yong Bae has been bugging as to when his best friend will be coming here. It's pretty annoying."

"Haha! Just tell him that appa and I'll be there as soon as you know it."

"Okay. See you Ah-ki."

"Ne. And Kamsahapnida, appa."

"Its nothing."

And with that, they ended the call. Claudette told her parents her decision. Although they where sad, since she was their only child they let her go and helped her with everything that she needed. This was her last stop. The grave of her fiancee,

  "Christopher Lee
  September 20, 1986 - January 19, 2011
  "will always be loved and remembered"
"

"This is what you always say when we were together. Topher, I'm leaving for Seoul tomorrow. I'm gonna do Cats! This is so surreal, you know. Haha! I know how you always said I looked like a cat. My dream to perform like Lea Salonga, Elaine Paige, Patti LuPone and Idina Menzel will be coming true." A tear fell down her cheek and she just wiped it away and held her necklace with her engagement ring that he gave her before he died. "It would have been so much fun if you were still here with me. I know you would be proud of me. Well, its time for me to go now and when I come back I will be holding my Tony Award in front of you. Oh gosh, Topher, I miss you so much but, I need to live like what you said, life is our story book wherein we our the author. I guess Imma have to open a new chapter in Korea soon."

She blew a kiss in the air and left the cemetery. She was writing the last sentence for this chapter in her life and was starting a new one. "This would be so difficult without you." she said to herself as she drove. When she got home, she ate with her parents as their farewell dinner before she left the next day.

At the airport, she gave her parents a hug and a kiss but, as she was about to enter the gate. Her mom held her hand and said, "My baby is leaving me now. But, honey, Korea may be the answer to your questions. Don't stop yourself from letting new experinces and especially people in. It will be hard but, remember we are just a phone call away and if you need to come back home, I will fetch you there myself. Okay?"

She chuckled and said, "I know mom. Its like kindergarten all over again, right? I will try." She hugged her mom and dad and whispered I love you before she entered with one final glance to her parents.

She checked in her bags and went to the waiting area near her gate. "I prepared myself for this." she said to herself. "But, dang it! I'm hella nervous. I don't know what's in store for me there. But, the heck, I have my ticket and I think God has a plan." She recalled the time when she said yes to this opportunity without any hesistation in her voice. She took it as a sign that what she was doing was right. It's time to begin again.

She heard the ground steward say that the boarding gate was now open. She breathed in and with one final glance at her passport, she picked up her bag and boarded the plane. She took her seat and waited patiently for take off. When the captain finally announced that they where going to go take off, she looked out the window and made a simple prayer, "Papa God, this is it. So, let's write the new chapter of my life together." She smiled to herself and held the necklace with her ring tightly. "Topher, here I go." she thought to herself and looked out the window.

 

-------------------------

 

* Ah-Ki is baby in Korean

COMMENTS ARE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.. : )