Chapter 34: Unknown Resolution

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

ILWOO’S POV

                  “I’m sorry, brother… I can’t get through to your son. But I’ll be saving your woman even if it costs my life.”  I thought to myself as I look at the old picture in my hand. It was me and my brother when we were still kids. This is the only picture I have of him. We were smiling and looking innocent. My eyes focused on my brother’s smiling face. I remembered how he’s always there for me every time I messed up.

                 “I’ll catch a bullet for you, Ilwoo.” He always say that when we were kids for him to look cool as a big brother.

                 But I guess it’s not just to look cool after all.

                  He actually did catch a bullet for me and he almost died. I remembered it vividly.

                  It was in our house. I was playing upstairs waiting for my brother to play with me. My father and mother was downstairs talking about something that I can’t understand since I was too young. Then suddenly, I heard screaming, loud noises and a gun shot. I was about to run downstairs when my brother came dashing on the door. He was anxious and crying. I was about to cry too when he shut my mouth with his hands. He wiped his tears and motioned that I should be quiet. We heard loud footsteps outside the room and then my brother took me and put me inside the closet.

                  “Be still and be quiet, ok? I’ll protect you no matter what.” And then he smiled with those tear-stricken face. He wanted to look brave in front of me and I trusted him.

                  I was still and noiseless inside the closet. I can see him guarding it through the gaps. Then a big guy suddenly step inside our room and shouted ‘FOUND HIM HERE!’.

                  “GET OUT OF OUR HOUSE!” My brother shouted with all his might.

                  Then we heard police sirens coming. ‘We’re saved’, I thought. Then I suddenly have the urge to get out of the closet to help my brother but the big guy was startled and clicked his gun.

                  The next thing I knew, I was under my brother’s body and there’s blood coming from his mouth. He was shot from the back.

                  Luckily, the police came and he was brought immediately to the hospital and just like that, we became orphans.

                 He became a part of the Mafia but he put me under the radar to protect me because it was a dangerous world. He said, ‘I can’t afford to lose you, too so stay in the shadows for me.’ And I did.

                 But when that moment came, that letter that he sent me thru his wife, he said ‘Please come out of the shadows and help my son and wife. They need you.’ I was devastated to learn that he was dead and I was about to throw a fit at his wife because if it weren’t for her, he would still be alive but he also wrote at the end of the letter, ‘I know you’ll catch a bullet for me, too.’ I realized that time that they are his life. Saving them means saving my brother, too and I would do anything for them just like my brother did for me.

                “This is my resolve, brother.” I talked to myself and hid the picture in my pocket.

                  I am ready to face them alone.

                  I was about to go out of the room equipped with all the paraphernalia I need for the rescue mission that I plan by myself when someone knocked on the door. I opened it and I was welcomed with a petite woman whose life will costs the life of my brother’s wife.

                  “I’ll help you.” She said with evident seriousness in her face.

                   “You can’t.” I told her. I don’t want to involve her with this even though she’s the easiest way out of this mess. I was about to pass through her when she held me in my arms to stop me.

                   “I have to.” She said without batting her eyelashes.

                   I snorted at her and was about to push her out of the way but when I looked at her eyes, I saw something that made me stop from doing it. The smirk on my lips suddenly faded.

                    She’s serious.

                    She’s dead serious.

#    #     #

JIYONG’S POV

                     I sighed while hiding the gun inside my jacket. It’s already midnight. And just like what I have told Youngbae, I will handle this mission alone.

                   It’s better this way.

                   “Hyung...”

                    I looked up and saw all of them walk inside my room. My squad.

                    “What’s with the face Seungri?” I as I can see that he is worried. “It’s funny seeing you looking like you’re about to cry.” I chuckled as I resumed on preparing all the equipment I need.

                     “Stop looking like a bada$s, Jiyong. That’s my job.” I looked up at Top hyung as he said that. I know that’s just one of his stupid remark but his face is devoid of any mischievousness. “You know you don’t have to do this alone.”

                      “You also know that I chose to do this alone.” I told him as I stand up.

                      “Hyung...” I turned my gaze at Daesung. “I just wanna ask... why?”

                       I sighed. I looked at Youngbae and he just nodded at me. I looked at my members one by one and I can see that they are determined to help me. But I can’t implicate them with this anymore. This is about me.

                        “I know you wanted to fight by my side but this... this is my resolve. Just give this one to me.” I told them sincerely.

                       We were silent for a few seconds and I know they already understand me.

                     “Thank you.” I bowed at them with utmost respect.

                      And when I straighten up, they are all bowing at me as much as I did to them.

 

#        #         #

                     Ring...... Ring..... Ring.....

                    “Finally!” Yang Hyun Suk smirked as he picked up the phone. He has been expecting the call. “I know you would call........” He laughed as someone speak from the other side. “As long as you hand me the successor, you can have the woman...... You do know that I never go back on my words......... Bring her to me and no one will be hurt.......” And then the call ended.

                   “Prepare.” He said to his army. He smirked as his plan is slowly being accomplished. “Call all the mafia members and the elders to assemble tomorrow night at the YG Grand Hall, tell them that the successor is coming home.”

                      His army bowed at him and one by one leave the room.

                     And then he looked at the woman behind the glass wall. “Don’t worry. Someone’s coming to save you.” He laughed as the woman cried behind the wall.

 

#       #        #

JIYONG’s POV

                      “Just don’t let her know that I went alone. Her security is our priority.” I ordered as they walked me out the safe house. “Seungri...” I called to Seungri.

                        “Yes?” He responded.

                       “I want you to lead the escape plan. I believe you already explained to them the escape routes from A to D but I trust you for having a quick thinking in case those routes will not be successful.”

                          “Yeah, I know.”

                       “Daesung and Top-hyung... you guys check the perimeter while ---“ I halted on my steps as I saw someone lying beside the car that I will use for this mission. “Donghae?”

                         All of us run to his direction and then I grab his body. He was unconscious.

                         “He was shot with a tranquillizer.” Youngbae said as he pulled out the tranquillizer at Donghae’s neck.

                          “F@CK!” I shouted as I realized that someone possibly entered the premises without our knowledge.

                         “No one can come here without being detected by our sensor, I made sure of that.” Top hyung pronounced as he removed the safety lock of his gun and shifted to the alert position.

                      “Unless...” I looked at Seungri. “... it’s someone from the inside---ugh!” As he was about to finish his sentence, he was shot by the tranquillizer, too. It was an instant sedative as he immediately fall unconscious.

                        “SEUNGRI—“ Daesung was next. He fall unconscious, too.

                        “TAKE COVER!” Youngbae shouted as we run behind the car.

                         “Sh!t!” I shouted as I pulled out the gun from my inside pocket. “It’s f@cking Ilwoo!” Then realization hit me.

                            “Dara..”

                         I bolted on my feet and run to the direction of the house. “Dara....” There’s only one thing on my mind right now. It’s Dara. “F@CK!”

                           “JIYONGGG!” I heard Youngbae called at me.

                            “Let’s cover for him Young------ugh!” I heard a loud thud behind me. It stopped me on my tracks and then I looked back.

                            ”Top hyung...” I mumbled as if everything on my mind went blank. There, Top hyung is also unconscious.

                            “Sh!t!”

                            I was hurled on the ground as Youngbae shielded me from the next shot. “Get a grip Jiyong!” Youngbae told me before he lose his consciousness, too.

                          I blinked as I processed everything.

                          My comrades are all on the ground and Dara is nowhere to be found.

                            No! Dara....

                          I looked beside me while I’m still lying on the ground and for the first time in my life, I felt fear crept up on my spine as I saw Dara being held captive by Ilwoo.

                          “DARAAAAAAAAAAA!” I shouted as I find all the strength to stand on my feet. “YOU F@CKING BASTRAD, GIVE HER BACKKK!” I run at his direction with a gun on my hand pointing at him but I can’t fire it as I saw Dara being used as a shield by Ilwoo.

                          I stopped on my track as Ilwoo held the gun at me but I didn’t lower mine pointing at his direction.

                         I looked at Dara and I felt fear, anger and regret all at the same time as I met her gaze. Her hands was tied behind her back and was gagged by a handkerchief. I can see that she was scared and all I wanted to do is to run to her, save her and kiss all her fears away.

                        I closed my eyes tightly trying to think of other ways. My heart is beating so fast and I felt so helpless. I looked back at Ilwoo. “P-please...” I pleaded. “Don’t do this.” I heard my voice falter as I felt a tight grip on my chest. It f@cking hurts seeing her in danger. “If this is about saving my mother, I was about to go and save her alone.” Every word felt like poison on my mouth, I feel like dying as I admitted the words ‘my mother’ but nothing compares to the feeling seeing Dara on this state. It felt worse than dying. “Ilwoo... I’ll save her.. I f@cking promise you... j-just please... set Dara free.”  

                        Ilwoo shifted his gaze on nothing but me. “I’m sorry, Jiyong.”

                       After hearing those words, I launched at them. I tried to grab Dara before I felt something pricked on my shoulder and my strength left my body in an instant. I dropped on the ground face flat.

                       I fought the drug$ crawling up my body but I can’t seem to move. “D-dara...” I tried to look up and keep my eyes open. I reached for Dara’s face but it was blurred and so far away. The last thing I heard is the car’s wheels screeching and it drove away.

                         Dara...

                         Then it was black.

 

#         #         #

                       *water droplet*

                       ”Jiyong.”

                       I opened my eyes slowly. I can hear water droplets nearby and a woman’s voice. The voice was so familiar it feels like... home.

                    “Eomma?” I called out with my little voice. Suddenly, I was a kid again.

                    I looked around but all I can see is darkness.

                   “Jiyong. Here.”

                   Slowly, I looked at my feet. Under me is water. I can see my reflection on it. It was a reflection of a man.

                  It was me. I am a grown up again.

                 “Jiyong.”

                 I looked up and saw a woman standing in front of me. She was in distressed as she held her hands out to me. “Forgive me.” She was crying and her tears fall directly on the water making that droplets sound.

                 “Eomma.” I reached out for her but when we were about to touch, a blooded hand take mine. I looked at the person who owned that hand and I was greeted by a familiar face.

                  “It’s all good, Jiyong.” Then she smiles at me.

                  “Dara...”

                   Suddenly, someone materializes at her back and then covered her eyes.

                  I looked up at the man behind her.

                 “I’m sorry, Jiyong.”

                   BANG!

        

               “NOOOOOOOO!” I bolted on my bed startling everyone inside the room.

                “Jiyong..” Youngbae approached me. “You’re having a bad dream.”

                 I am breathing so hard, it feels like eternity since I last breath some air. I looked around and saw that everyone is looking at me.

                Wait! Someone’s missing.

                My dream...

               Panic immediately crept into my system when I realized that it really did happen. “DARA... WHERE’S DARA!?” I scrammed on the bed and looked for my gun but I can’t find any. “F@CK! WHERE’S MY GUN!”

                “Jiyong! You need to calm down.” Someone said inside the room. I search for the owner of that voice and anger run through my head. I launched at him and held his collar and punch him.

                   Donghae fell on the floor but I’m not done, I hurled at him and was about to land a straight punch again when someone held me in place. “LET ME GO!”

                  “STOP JIYONG!!!” Top hyung shouted as he held me in place.

                   “I’M NOT F@CKING STOPPING! YOU F@CKING TELL ME TO CALM DOWN? HUH? BULLSH!T!” I tried to free myself from Top hyung’s hold but he managed to pull me up and distance myself to Donghae.

                     “Your outburst is not needed right now, d!ckhead.” Donghae counter. He rose to his feet and wiped the blood on the corner of his mouth.

                      It infuriated me even more. He was supposed to guard Dara and him, being an as$hole right now is never going to make me calm down. “I’M GONNA’ KILL YOU!” I tried to let go from Top hyungs grip but failed to do so. “HYUNG!!! YOU NEED TO LET ME GO!” I struggled from his hold! “F@CKING LET ME--- “ Suddenly, I was harshly pushed to the wall.

                    “He’s right! You’re being a d!ckhead right now, Jiyong.” Top hyung met my gaze as he forcefully hold me in place on the wall. His hands are digging on my arms. I saw frustration on his eyes as he said those words. But realizing that he just agreed on what Donghae said, my jaws ticked on anger again.

                      “Let me go, hyung before I forgot that you’re my right-hand man.” I gave him that menacing look, I am not buying his threatening gaze at me. I’m still the alpha of this unit. “I am ordering you to let me go.”

                   I saw him huffed in anger. This is the first time I’m seeing Top-hyung this way. He was always the goofiest among us that only cares how badas$ he enters and exit a scene. His next words surprised me and it brought me back to composure. “I’m being your friend right now, Jiyong and not the right-hand man that you can order around.” He forcefully let go of my arms and turned his back at me. He run both of his hands on his hair in frustration and anger. I looked around me and everyone is having a dejected face towards me. I saw Youngbae shake his head in disappointment.

                  I chuckled bitterly. “What? Do I look pathetic right now?” No one answered. I glared at no one in particular and then fixed myself. “Fine. If none of you is bothered by the fact that Ilwoo kidnapped Dara, I will just go on my own---“

                  “Shut your horses for a moment there, Jiyong!” Top hyung turned to me again and lifted his palm up on me. “Get a grip of yourself. You’re gonna die even before you step foot on that place.”

                   I felt mocked by Top-hyung words. I didn’t train my as$ off just to die in an instant. “Are you underestimating me?”

                  “We need to have a plan---“

                   “SHUT THE FXCK UP!” I shouted at Donghae even before he finished his words. Being with him in the same room right now is making nerves shot to the roof. “This will never happen if you just didn’t fail on being with her all the time.”

                    As soon as those words left my lips, Donghae charged towards me but Daesung stopped him from advancing even more. I, on the other side, was stopped by Youngbae. “You need to calculate your words, Jiyong before accusing me of something that you know nothing about.” His voice was stern and his eyes showed that he’s been holding up on me for a long time up until now. “If you can remember it clearly, you’re the one who robbed her of a normal life.” He pulled himself away from Daesung but didn’t attempt on charging on me again. “If you hadn’t showed up, she might be laughing with her friends right now oblivious on your unnecessary existence.”

                I stiffened on my spot. Every word he said struck me with lightning. I felt like a cold water rushed over me and woke me up from my delusions. He’s right. This is all my fault. If I have just walked away from her life, something like this wouldn’t happen. If I have just chosen to not associate myself with her, she might be peacefully sleeping on her apartment right now. If I have just been contented on my own life, she will not endure any of these at all.

                This is all my fault.

                She’s living her life like any normal people was doing. Going to her part time job. Going to school. Buying her own groceries. Chatting with her friends. Going home to her family.

                 Smiling.

                I was lost in my own thoughts that I didn’t realized that Youngbae already released me. My gaze fall on the floor as if it can help me find a resolution in this situation but can’t find any. I closed my eyes as I feel my head like it’s about to explode. Then I saw her face....

              Her beautiful face. Her beautiful personality. Her beautiful heart. She doesn’t deserve to have a life like this. She deserve a peaceful life. She doesn’t belong on my world. She doesn’t belong to...me. That thought the air out of my lungs.

                A hand on my shoulder stopped my train of thoughts. When I looked up, I saw Donghae, still, with that stern look on his face. I want to punch his face but after hearing his words, I felt ashamed. “Look, Jiyong... I’m not trying to put all the blame on you. I’m not better than you. I know it’s my job to protect her and you don’t know how angry I am with myself right now. But things happen that we’re not able to comprehend. If I wallow on my anger and do something without a thought, then protecting and saving Dara is futile. You, going there alone without any plan at all and not in your best condition, will not just endanger yourself but also your mother and Dara.” He gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze. “I know you understand.”

               He’s right. An abrupt action will result to something bad. We didn’t know what Dara’s condition is right now and having Ilwoo on the picture is something that we should think and look out for. I shook my head to ease the unnerving feelings I have. At this moment, I needed to calm down and stop being irrational. I heaved a deep sigh. For a moment there, I forgot being the level-headed that I am, and began being an idiot. Although, I still can’t erase the thought that Dara is on danger.

             “You’ll be fine.” I heard Youngbae said beside me. “She’ll be fine.” He added and then walked past through me to Donghae’s direction. Just then I wondered, he didn’t say anything back there with my outburst. If he just said something, I might gather myself immediately but no. He knows...no... he wants me to overcome it by myself.

                “GUYS!!!” Seungri’s voice interrupted my train of thoughts. He looked agitated but with a mix of hope on his features. “I found something!” He raised a paper on the air. Everyone shot on their feet and approached him, including me.

                “What is it?” I asked with urgency.

                   Seungri gave the paper to Youngbae, and Donghae peaked on the paper,too. “This is an encrypted IP.” Youngbae upon realizing what was written looked at Donghae.

                  “Ilwoo.” Donghae rushed to his laptop that was sitting on the table located at the corner of the room.

                  “Hey! What the hell is going on?” Daesung, just like me, wants to know what they found out. And why is the ba$tard Ilwoo mentioned?

                 Everyone approached Donghae, and he began typing codes on his laptop. “Ilwoo is a tough and skilled mobster but other than that, he is one hell of hacker, even better than me and Donghae together.” Youngbae filled as up with informations, which I believe, I didn’t want to hear. “He can create his own codes and IPs that no one can hack. He’s a monster.”

               “Rather than a monster, he’s the God’s Eye. He can see everything.” He continued as his fingers moved fast on his laptop’s keyboard. “And this is what we are talking about!” He pressed a key on his laptop and the laptop screen suddenly turned into static.

                “Oh, wow! So much for calling him the God’s Eye with all this statics and everything.” Top hyung exclaimed.

                  “No... Something’s happening.” Seungri whispered but enough for us to hear. And true to his words, the screen suddenly cleared and we heard a voice.

                  “Are you sure this is a camera? It’s so small.”

                   My body stiffened and my heart beat erratically on my chest. That voice. I can never be wrong of that voice.

                   Dara!

 

 

#        #         #

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

Hey guys!

It’s been a while!

I know... I know... I’ve been a bad author making you wait that long!

But here you go! kkkk~

This fic has been looooonnggg overdue but I promise you, I’m gonna

finish this as soon as I can.

 

I’ve been busy but definitely NOT forgetting about this fic.

 

Hope you enjoy! Lovelots!

 

P.S.: I dedicate this one for y’all but I promise a shoutout to @hotrianopianti :)

Thank you! :-*

twitter: @superrookie_aff