Chapter 30: In your Arms

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

 

**** Present time…

JIYONG’S POV

                       “If they did… you’re dead by now.”

                        Jung IlWoo.

                       He’s the person who helped us escape. His reasons? We still don’t know.

                       After getting me out, Mafia members emerge one by one attacking us. Without any words of explanation on what’s happening, we worked together, looking at each other’s back. On my earpiece, I hear Lee Donghae and Youngbae explaining the plan. Everything went really fast.  All I can remember is that Lee Donghae is going to get Sandara. After hearing her name, my mind works and my body follows. One thing was running on my mind that time: I want her to be on my side.

                       “And who are you?” Sandara asked.

                      Too much has been revealed and I know it’s hard for her to keep up. We still don’t know what Ilwoo has in stored for us but saying such absurd things, I think I have an idea on what it would be.

                       “I’m Jung Ilwoo.” He crossed his arms and sat in a chair across Sandara. “You’re actually pretty up close.” He commented with a mischievous smile on his face… and I’m not liking it. Then he looked at me with that same expression on his face.

                       “Who’s the real you? Explain yourself right here, right now.” Youngbae told him sternly. “I know that we owe you big time but unless you explain yourself on why you’re doing this, my finger is just waiting to pull the trigger and put a bullet straight on your brain.”

                       Jung Ilwoo raised both of his hands as if surrendering. “Whoa. Hold it right there. I was born with the name Jung Ilwoo, believe me or not and I’m telling you, I’m not an enemy.”

                      “Are you saying that all the information that we have about you are lies? What about your amnesia?” Daesung asked a follow up question.

                   “Yeah. They’re all lies, except the fact that my real name is Jung Ilwoo. I needed to do that so I can sneak my way in at the organization.” Ilwoo answered confidently. 

                   “So why are you doing this? Are you after the successor,too?” Donghae asked.

                    He looked at Donghae with a serious face and then to Sandara. “I don’t really care about your successor here...” He gestured at Sandara. Everyone was a bit startled on what he said but what he revealed next is even more shocking. “I’m here to fulfil my promise to my brother, Jung Jae Jin.”

                    “Jung Jae Jin? He was the guy in that picture we found, Jiyong. He was a good friend of your adapted father, the Mafia Leader.” Top hyung spoke up after hearing that very familiar name.

                    “I’m not really interested about that guy. He doesn’t have anything to do with us… and vice versa.” I walked towards him and stopped just in front of him. I looked down at Ilwoo. “What I want to know is why the hell is my father doing this?” No matter how I look at it, my mind is clouded and I can’t think of any reason why my father would do something like this. And he even dared use me.

                   Ilwoo stand on his feet wearing a serious face. He met my gaze. “Yang Hyun Seok is doing all of this because he has a grudge on the organization. Recruiting you is one of his plans. Making you believe that your mother abandoned you…-----”

                  Hearing the word ‘mother’ snaps something inside of me and I firmly grabbed Ilwoo’s jacket… my eyes burning with rage.

                “She did abandon me. She’s always hungry for money. She traded me for money. She forsaken me and gave me to our so-called relatives who treated me like a slave. And all of that because of MONEY!!! She was so blinded that she forgot that she have a son who’s starving and hurting to death.”

                Everyone is silent after my outburst. All I can hear is my heavy breathing. I always have this anger towards that woman. I couldn’t even call her my ‘mother’.

                 “He didn’t make me believed that ‘she’ abandoned me… Because I know for a fact that ‘she’ never treated me like ‘her’ own son.” I pronounced each word with gritted teeth. This is why I don’t want to talk about her, I always lose my patience.

                 Jung Ilwoo grabbed both my wrist and forcefully removed my hands gripping his jacket. “You’re too naïve, Jiyong. You’re the blind one here.” He pushed me away from him. “You were young back then. A perfect time to be deceived. Your mother was always looking for money because she wanted to send you in a different country. She wanted to save you from Yang Hyun Seok.”

                 “What? You’re not making any sense.” I asked getting confused. “What does she have to do with the Mafia Leader?”

                 Jung Ilwoo looked at the people in the room before stopping at me. “Yang Hyun Seok killed Jung Jae Jin, your biological father.”

                I heard gasps around me but most of all, I hear my heart beating loudly.  I don’t have any memories of my real father. It didn’t even bothered me that I haven’t even met him. But now that Ilwoo mentioned him, I can’t help but get curious.

               “I think that you already found out that Yang Hyun Seok and Jung Jae Jin are great friends but it started to get hazy when Jung Jae Jin left the organization because he met your mother and fall in love.  The elders gave Jung Jae Jin the permission to leave but all of his assets and wealth was taken leaving him with nothing. Of course, it wasn’t that easy. Jung Jae Jin have to finish a top secret mission before leaving. Your father accepted that and chose your mother. Yang Hyun Seok, on the other hand, supported your father. He stayed in the organization, never wanting to leave believing that it was his home. It is the only place who kept him and his father alive. But Yang Hyun Seok’s father, Chronos, got killed just before Jung Jae Jin left the organization. Yang was devastated. He was furious and mad. The elders told him that it was Jung Jae Jin’s last mission, to kill Chronos. The organization mislead him because of the fact that they actually disapproved of Jung’s departure in the organization. It was the organization’s plan to make Yang believed that his friend killed his father. He was full of anger and betrayal that he killed his only friend. And after that, he learned that the elders used him just for their sake. He was furious and was thirsty of grudge for the organization.”

                 Ilwoo summarized the story in his own words. Everyone is silent not wanting to miss any details. As for me, it came as a shock and disbelief.

              “Yang Hyun Seok knows that Jung Jae Jin and your mother had a child and he wanted to use you in his revenge that’s why he searched for your mother. I was eighteen back then and fortunately, Yang and I never met. My brother taught me how to fight but he never wanted me to be a part of the organization so he kept me hidden under the radar. We only have each other since our parents died a long time ago. When Yang started searching for your mother, she left you to your relatives but unknown to her, you were treated inhumanely. Your mother knows me and she searched for me. She told me everything and asked for my help and gave me a letter made by my brother. I was sceptical at first but when I read my brother’s letter, I made a decision and get through with my own mission…” He sighed heavily before continuing. “…and that was to protect and save you.”  

                  He take a step closer to me and my left foot automatically stepped back. “Jiyong… I’ve trained for so many years to be strong and good enough just to be here in front of you now. Maybe I am a bit late because I need the right timing on infiltrating the organization but I’m still not late on telling you that your parents loved you more than anything else in this world and they never wished for you to experience these things.”

                But I can’t just accept it like that… I don’t even know what’s true anymore. “Is s-she alive?”

                “Yes…. and she’s hiding. I can take you to her if you want to. You can run away and I will take care of the rest---------“

               “No. I’m not running away. I’m not even interested on meeting her. If this situation doesn’t concern you anymore, the door is open and you can leave. I have my own reasons why I’m risking my life for this.” I turned my back at him and my eyes automatically darted at Sandara who’s also looking at me with sympathy on her eyes. I looked away and walked upstairs to get some fresh air.

 

#   #   #    #

Sandara’s POV

                  I can’t sleep. Well, after all that I’ve learned…how can I even sleep?

                  After that guy, Jung Ilwoo, revealed some shocking news, Jiyong walked out from the scene. After a few moments of silence, the four guys offered a serious talk with Jung Ilwoo.  I believe they’ll be talking about what they’re going to do and Donghae, sensing that I’m overwhelmed of what’s happening, escorted me in this room so I could take some rest. He said he’ll be watching over me but I refused and told him to just leave the door open. Since it’s still awkward between us, he agreed and descended downstairs.

                  It was quite. I rolled on the side of the bed and look outside the window. The moon is peeking out from the clouds. It was bright and beautiful. I closed my eyes trying to get some sleep but my mind wonders.

                I wonder if my mother is doing fine.

                I wonder if Chaerinnie and Bommie are worried about me.

                I wonder if I could graduate on time being in this situation.

                I wonder if everything will be alright.

                I wonder if I will live a normal life after this

                With my eyes still closed, tears starting to fall one by one and I wiped them away. My heart is hurting so much. I’m scared, confused, worried at the same time.

                “If they did… you’re dead by now.”

                That was the line that Jung Ilwoo said casually and I’m not stupid to feel nothing. Of course, it bothered and frightened me. I can still feel my body shaking remembering what he said. I don’t wanna die just yet. My mother stills need me and I can’t leave her alone like that. If what he’s saying is true, then I’m still lucky for being safe up until now.

                Donghae sacrificed a lot since he was young and yet I acted cold around him. I should’ve treated him better and lend him some ears for his explanation. But what can I do, I was shocked and confused and vent out the emotions I’m feeling at him.

                Then Jiyong’s face suddenly popped up on my mind. His face when he found out the truth. I never thought he go through a lot of hardships and sufferings. It must’ve been hard for him and here I am doubting him.

               I jumped out on my bed when I heard the closing of the door. It was dark since I can’t sleep with the lights open but I can visualize a silhouette of a man holding the knob of the door. My heart raced not in panic or horror but because I know who exactly it was.

                 I was just thinking about him and suddenly, he’s now here.

                   Kwon Jiyong.

                 “I thought you were sleeping.” He asked remaining on his spot.

                 “H-how can I sleep in this situation?” I throw him a question as an answer. “W-why are you here?”

                  “I’m just going to check up on you.”

                   He slowly walked towards the bed and I unconsciously moved on the other side, almost at the edge.

                    It was dark but slowly, because of the moonlight coming from the window, I can gradually see his face. My heart leaped like it always does when Jiyong is around. But when our eyes met, my heart constricted in pain when I saw, for the first time on his eyes, the confusion and sadness. It was so evident that I can’t keep my eyes away from him.

                    “I-I’m g-good. No need to bother.” I was surprised that I managed to utter those words whilst my heart beats painfully on my chest.

                    Silence enveloped us for a moment. Our gaze never leaving each other. I know for a fact that if this stays a bit longer, I wouldn’t be able to control myself and I will embraced him tightly. I know I feel mad and betrayed but seeing him like this makes all those things gone with the wind.

                     I wanted to comfort him.

                    “Good.” He muttered that single word and lingers his eyes on me for a few more seconds before he finally turned away. I heard him sigh as he his heels and walk towards the door.

                     But something build inside of me and I get out of the bed as fast as I could and called out to him in a small voice. “Jiyong.” He was about to turn the knob when he stopped. He heard me. I suddenly regretted my action.

                     Just go.

                    I was silently praying that he will ignore me and just leave but I guess it’s otherwise…

                    With big steps, he walked towards me and before I knew it, I was in his arms… and he’s hugging me so tightly. My eyes widen in shock that I didn’t get to react. I don’t know if I will hug him back or pushed him away.

                   “Jiyong---“

                   “Please…” My heart melted when I heard him plead. “…just….just give me ten seconds.” I can feel his heartbeat, and it was the same beat as mine.

                    After hearing him say that, I can’t bring myself to decline his simple request. In short, I gave in. I let my arms hang on my sides ‘cause I’m afraid of touching him. The last time we talked about us was the time that I became heartbroken. I know this is me, being a martyr, but what can I do, I’m hurting seeing him like this and all I can do is to let him know that I’m here. Even when we are stuck in this complicated and dangerous situation, the feelings I have for him are still there and will never waver that easily.

                    “I’ve always live a life full of lies, and I didn’t even realized that.” He chuckled bitterly. “I can’t help but think that I was born to be unhappy.”

                     “Jiyong…” I never heard him say stuffs like that and hearing it now makes me want to take his pain away. He’s simply saying that he’s unworthy to be happy and yet he already suffered a lot.

                     “Dara…” He muttered my name in a pained voice. “I’m sorry… you had to go through this. It’s the path I have taken and you shouldn’t have been involved. If I could just turn back time, I wouldn’t have played with your normal life.” He’s now apologizing and blaming his self for what had happened.

                     He was silent for a few more seconds before speaking again. “I took up more than ten seconds… I need------“

                      As he was about to move away from me, I lifted my arms and hugged him back. “You don’t have to apologize. You can never blame yourself for something like that. It wasn’t your choice. It wasn’t mine either. No one can tell what the future holds or how our life will end up. Live your present and worry about tomorrow when it comes.” I hugged him even tighter. “Even though we ended up in this dangerous and unpredictable situation, I will not change anything from the past. I will not change the day that I met you…… a-and everyone else w-who played a big part on my life.” I almost blurted out something stupid, thank goodness I composed myself.

                     I think I’ve said too much. He didn’t respond anymore. Slowly, he released me from the hug but the small distance between us remains.

                    In this darkness, with the illumination from the moon helping us, he looked in my eyes as if searching. My heart went even wilder if that is possible.

                    “How can you have such positive outlook in life even with this kind of situation?”

                    “W-well…” I can’t respond to that. I don’t know how to put into words the mixed emotions that I’m having right now especially that we are this closed with each other. “…. I don’t know.”

                    “You haven’t changed a bit.” I see the side of his lips curved into a small smile and I’m glad to have seen that. At least, I made him feel better.

                    “I don’t know if it is alright to talk in this kind of space but I’m really getting uncomfortable---“

                     “Would you mind if I kiss you?”

                      “What?” I asked shocked at his request. What is he playing? He was sad and lonely a while ago and now he’s asking for a kiss???

                       Is he playing with me?

                     “I wouldn’t mind if you kiss me.” He continued with his rather unexpected request but I can’t see any mischievousness in his eyes.

                       He’s serious.

                      “Dara…” Then he slowly decrease the gap between our faces.

                        I think I’m hyperventilating already because of my stupid heart. I can’t even move any part of my body. Damn it!

                       “Just a goodnight kiss.”

                          I swallowed hard and I firmly closed my eyes.

                        Just a good night kiss.

                         I heard the sweet sound of a kiss… but not on my lips. Instead, he kissed me on my forehead.

                        “Thank you.” He said in a low voice and before I can open my eyes, I felt his body move away from me and the next thing I heard is the sound of the door opening.

                        I slowly opened my eyes, my hands still on my chest, and Jiyong was gone.

                        Damn it. He got me again.

                  I placed my hand on my forehead where he planted a sweet kiss and I can’t help but smile.

                   “You’re welcome, Jiyong.”

#              #                 #

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

 

This will be a short note!

 

 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

 

YUHOOOOO!

 

Thank you for constantly supporting this story!

LET’S DO OUR BEST THIS YEAR, TOO!

 

LOVE YAH ALL!

 

@twitter:

@superrookie_aff