Chapter 27: Getting Started.

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

TOP’s POV

                  “Okaaay... He is very quiet, well he was always like this, but I do feel that something really did happen with his little alone time with Sandara.”

                   After walking out of somewhere without Sandara following him, he just head straight to the car without saying anything. I followed him and he just said ‘Let’s go’ and sensing that he is VERY serious, I drove the car to our destination. From time to time, I’m stealing a glance at him but he was just looking outside the window.

                “Something really did happen... Might as well try my luck.”

                  I cleared my throat. “Boss... got nothing to share?” I asked hoping that he’ll somehow answer me.

                 And he just ignored me but I ain’t giving up just yet. “It seems like you got a little alone time with San---“

                   “Focus on driving, hyung...” he said without any signs of emotions.

                   Alright. He doesn’t really want to talk about it. Maybe not now. I’m just wishing that he’ll not burden himself too much because of it.

                  Dropping the topic, I focus back on driving. We are going to meet Donghae now at an abandoned building. This three days trip here in Busan where our first priority is to protect Sandara came out to be fine. No major suspicious people loitering around her radius. But Yura noticed her and we need to take countermeasure for that. It’ll be easy as long as she won’t get to see Sandara with us for a while but I bet that it will not be just for a while... it may be for a long time. *sigh*

                 We arrived at the rendezvous point and Donghae was already there. He’s wearing sunglasses and a cap.

                   “Hyung, you can stay here.” Jiyong said in a monotone voice.

                   “Hey! Why?” I asked as I stopped him from getting out of the car. “I should be there! I’m your right – wing man, right?

                    “Just stay here... You’re supposed to be the lookout.” he answered as he pulls back his arm under my grip. And I’m unable to do anything. Ackkkk! How can he do this to me? A lookout? What the hell??? I’ve never hated my job until just now!

 

#     #     #

DONGHAE’S POV

                    I removed my sunglasses when I recognized the person walking in my direction. His aura is a bit different though.

                   “I wonder what happened to his meeting with Mrs. Park..”

                   Mrs. Park has been bugging me about meeting Kwon. I was uncertain about it but it is deemed necessary. I’ve explained everything about what I know about him to Mrs. Park. I don’t like him but I’m sure he won’t do anything harmful to Dara. I’ve seen enough to prove that.

                   “You didn’t stick on the plan..” I told him as soon as he was in front of me. “I’m pretty sure we’ve talked about not showing your face at her during these three days.”

                   “Sorry...”

                   My eyebrows arched automatically when I heard that. Did he just apologize? I think this is the first time I heard that word from him and moreover directing towards me. Something’s odd in here.

                  I smirked. “Don’t fxck around like that, Kwon. It doesn’t suit you.” I chuckled.

                  I was waiting for him to answer back offensively because I know he will. He’s G-Dragon after all.

                 “I should’ve stick on the plan and just gone incognito. Everything could have gone wrong because of it.” he impassively replied.

                  The smirk on my lips slowly faded. I guess I’m wrong. He’s not in his usual self.

                   “What could’ve happened?”

                “W-well... you’re right. You’re doing something about that Yakuza’s daughter, right?  We don’t want anyone to join the picture...” I said focusing on the matter.

                 “As long as that woman doesn’t see me with Sandara again, she will not be a threat. I can take care of it.”

                   “That’s good...”

                  “Once we get back to the HQ, we’ll start where we left off... As for my unit’s information, another killing has been made in the organization... There’s a big possibility that the killer is within the Mafia and we are also looking at the possibility that he’s the one behind the hunt for the successor and the person who tried to set us up. It’s just that we’re out of clue on who might it be...”

                 “About that... I was expecting that someone will visit my apartment to clean up the mess if he somehow succeeds on his plan of us killing each other. Cameras are installed on every corner of my flat so I can monitor everything even if I’m away but NO ONE step foot on my place. Before I got here, I checked it again to make sure but nothing has been touched in there...”

                     “So are you saying that he knows that you’re still alive?”

                    “Yes. That’s one.”

                    Kwon looked at me as if waiting for me to continue what’ on my mind.

                  “Or... instead of us killing each other... the culprit might actually wanted for us to meet and team up for the common goal of protecting the successor..”  I continued with uncertainty on my voice. I’ve been contemplating on that theory when I first notice that my apartment has been left untouched for these past few days after I abandoned it. If that culprit actually wanted me and Jiyong to fight until death, he’ll definitely make sure of it and won’t even leave a trace. Yes, maybe he’s being careful and knows that I’m still alive but it has been three days and nothing suspicious around me happens. If he indeed wanted me or Jiyong dead, he should have attacked at that same day where both me and Jiyong was unaware. He could have had hit two birds in one stone. But like I’ve said, nothing suspicious happened around me.

                  “One more thing, he sent you the video of Sandara accepting the cylinder, right? When I watched it, I thought that there’s something odd about it. You said it was from a CCTV camera, but after analyzing the angle, resolution and periphery of the video, it doesn’t look like it came from a CCTV camera. Cameras are my expertise since I’m used on following Sandara everywhere and I can assure you that the video is captured using a spy camera. Spy cameras can be in a form of robotic insects and sometimes it’s just a size of a marble. I’m pretty sure that he used one of those.”

                  “So you’re saying that the one behind it is trying to help us?”

                   “Maybe... or he has his own mission.. I still don’t know... I need more evidence... Whoever he is, I can’t still trust him... I grew up looking out for Sandara. I was trained my whole life to protect her so if ever there’s someone who’s doing the same thing for her, I’d be the first one to know it not even her mother...”

                    Kwon stayed silent as if contemplating on what I’ve said. All of it is true though. I live my whole life not for myself but for her.

                     It just that... I can’t bring myself to regret everything I did. As long as it is for Sandara, I’ll do it without blinking an eye...without second thought... without regret.  

                  “You do know a lot about her, don’t you?” Kwon asked all of a sudden.

                  “I do.” I answered him with conviction. Eventhough I don’t know why he’s asking this now, I felt like answering him eye to eye.

                  “Would you risk your life for her?” Kwon added.

                    “That has been decided long time ago, Kwon.”

                    “Fair enough.” He said.

                     “Why are you asking these all of a sudden?” I asked just to check if my hunch is right.

                    He looked down and I was expecting him to respond but once he shifted his gaze back at me, instead of answering my question, he just brushed it off and get back to where we actually left off. “We’re coming back to Seoul and execute our next plan... And you... focus on securing Sandara’s safety and give me head ups about your theory involving the person behind the video. We’ll handle the rest in the organization. And also, keep your low profile as much as possible.” He looked at his wrist watch and back at me again. “We need to go... And Lee, let’s finish this as soon as possible.”

                    After saying that, he didn’t even wait for my answer and just turned his back at me... but I need to hear it from him. “Kwon..” I called out on him and he halted on his steps but his back is still facing me. “You haven’t answered my question.”

                 I noticed how his shoulders moved up and down. He heaved a deep breath. “It is something not worth answering -----”

                  “You’ll do the same for her, right? You’ll risk your life for her...”

                  He turned to me with a serious look on his face. “Don’t mock me, Lee. I’m good as dead since I joined the organization so risking my life for her is already irrelevant.” He shifted his position and I’m facing his back again. “But it’s my fault why she’s in this kind of position in the first place... so I guess I won’t have any second thoughts of defying death for her...”        

                    I can’t help but let out a deep sigh as I look at his retreating back. He sure does know how to put flowers on his words.

                  “I guess my hunch is right after all... “ I mumbled to myself.                               

#     #     #                 

JIYONG’S POV

                   We’re now back in Seoul. I’ve informed Youngbae about our arrival and he immediately called for Seungri and Daesung.

                      “Someone’s playing with the organization...” That’s what Youngbae said. It seems like the three found something while we were away for three days. He said that it’s best if we talked about it in person. Instead of heading straight to our turf, we decided to meet in an abandoned lot away from the busy streets of the city. It was the place where the five of us only knows.

                    Once me and Top arrived at the rendezvous point, the three immediately meet us halfway.

                   “Welcome back...” said Youngbae with a not so impressed look on his face.

                     “Why do I feel like you’re not that happy to see us?” Top-hyung retaliated. I can’t blame him though, Youngbae doesn’t look happy at all.

                      “What is it?” I asked. I’m having a bad feeling about this.

                      “The three days that you were away, more killings have been made in the organization.” Seungri, who’s in his unusual serious face, responded. “The most recent one was Taesoo Kim.”

                      “What?” I was shocked to hear that. Kim Taesoo was a known member since he has done a lot of things for the organization for the past ten years of his service. I’ve heard rumors that he will be promoted as an official high ranking member, next to the Mafia leader. “Why didn’t you tell me about it right away?” Taesoo was also one of the people that my father trusts. If the successor thing hasn’t happen, I am sure that he will be a good candidate for the next Mafia leader.

                      “The crime happened just last night. He was killed in his hideout the same way from the previous killings. The upper ranks and the elders are currently having an urgent meeting because of this.” Daesung added.

                      “Moreover, there will be search operation for each member’s den. They’re taking wide measures for it. The one, who will be found guilty, will be executed after days of torture. They’re very mad about it.” Youngbae seconded.

                       Top stepped forward not really liking how this conversation is going. “And so? Why the hell does the three of you looked fxcking restless as sh!t?”

                        Youngbae looked at Top first then me. “I’ve overheard something... from Jung Ilwoo.”

                        Jung Ilwoo. That guy. I never liked him. He entered the organization just two years ago and yet he became a part of the Mafia leader’s unit. My father chose him personally. I’ve seen him fight up close and I can’t deny that he’s good. He’s also the head of command and the main strategist of his unit. Aside from that, I don’t know anything about him and his past life before he entered the organization. The only person who knows a lot about him is my father. And I don’t like him not because of those reasons but because he gives off this vibe that he’s keeping a lot of secrets. I don’t know. It’s just I can’t get comfortable around him.

                       I urged Youngbae to continue what he’s going to say about Ilwoo. “I was going to attend a meeting in your behalf in the YG Mafia’s headquarters when I saw Ilwoo talking to your father. It looked serious and I heard your father mention your name so it picked my curiosity so I decided to eavesdrop a bit.”

FLASHBACK

                    “Yes, boss. G-dragon was the last person that talked to Kim Taesoo over a week ago.”

                   “Is he going to be the main suspect for this incident?”

                  “He can be but he was away when the killing happened so he has a good alibi... unless we found strong evidence in his place then he might be.....” Ilwoo didn’t finish his sentence and just looked at the Mafia leader.

                    “I don’t want to think about it but for the organization, I’m willing to do drastic measures even if involves my son.”

                     “Yes, boss...”

                                                                                                                              -End of Flashback

               

                        “It looks like he’s targeting you as the main suspect, Jiyong. And he surely got the full trust of your father. That’s a hard thing to beat. We need to do something.”

                        That man. What does he want? What if he already knows about Sandara? Damn it. Why does everything seems complicated? “I want all the details about Jung Ilwoo... Everything.” I ordered.

                       I have to finish this mess as soon as possible.

#           #          #

DARA’s POV

                  I looked at myself in the mirror and all I can see is a pathetic heartbroken woman. My eyes are swollen and my hair in entire mess. Yeah. I cried all night until now that moon is already peeking at the clouds. Guess I’ve fallen that hard and the thing is he’s not willing to catch me.

                  What have I done to myself?

                  It was just yesterday... and everything that happened is still on my mind. I can still hear my heart breaking into million pieces.

                    But I have to move on... I need to move forward.

                    “Dara... are you alright?” My mom asked when she entered my room.

                    I immediately fixed myself and answer her with my most cheerful voice that I could muster. “Yes, mom! I’ve never been better.” I got to my closet and rummaged through it.

                 “So you’re going back to Seoul tomorrow?”

                  “Uh huh... I need to enroll for the next semester. Another thing is I need to find a part time job...”

                  “So after that, will you go back here?”

                     “ I’ll stay here before the school starts... ” I’m arranging my clothes inside my traveler’s backpack as I answered my mother. I can sense her eyes following my every move as if scrutinizing me.

                     “Ok.” She approached me and placed her hand in my shoulder. I stopped from what I’m doing and look at her. “Dara... Always remember that I love you more than anything else in this world. There are things that I’ve done which I know you wouldn’t understand and I’m sorry for that.”

                      I gave her a confused look then an amused smile. “What’s with you Eomma?” I hugged her tight. “You’ve been a good mother and you’ll always be. Nothing matters as long as we have each other.”

                     “Thank you.” She mumbled those words before hugging me back.

 

#           #           #

                     ‘She’s back to Seoul’

                    That’s a text message I received from Lee just before I leave our turf. Yeah. I know who is the ‘she’ that he’s pertaining to. But I don’t have time for that right now.

                    “Ji, are you alright?” Youngbae muttered in my side.

                   “Yeah.”

                   We are now on our way in an urgent gathering in the YG Mafia’s HQ. The leader,my father, called for this congregation. This is definitely will be about the consecutive killings in the organization and the search for the successor. The elders let my father handle this situation. I think this will be short and brief.

                 After learning what Youngbae told us yesterday, I’ve been waiting for my father to talk to me but I heard nothing from him. Seungri and Daesung was consistently trying to get a closer watch at Jung Ilwoo but it seems that the guy was already taking notice of them. We have to stop for a while on following him before he caught us empty-handed.

                We entered the hall and high-ranking Mafia members are already there. I saw how Jung Ilwoo looked down at me when I sat on my respective seat. I didn’t back down and stare back at him. He was standing beside my father. But I creased my forehead when I noticed something on his eyes. What was that? Is he trying to convey something?

                 “Hey, boss...” Top nudged me and that’s when I turn my gaze from Ilwoo and looked at this big guy beside me. We are sitting on a round table with drinks on top of it. Just like the usual gathering that you see.

                “What?” I asked him.

                “Look...” Top signaled me to look at the surrounding. Of course, I knew it. Since we step foot in this hall, I felt the intense atmosphere besieging this place. Each member is scrutinizing each other. After all the killings, the rumor of the killer being in the organization spread like a wild fire and  this kind of situation should be expected. It’s like you can’t trust anyone anymore.

                “It seems like everyone’s in a combat mode.” Seungri commented.

                “That’s actually true for us,too.” Said Daesung.

                Yeah. Of course, we’re not letting our guards down especially that Jung Ilwoo is the one targeting us.

               It’s dead silent inside the hall. One wrong move and you’ll be dead.

               “I am deeply grateful that everyone is here. “ All the attention of the people turned to the man with that voice. Everyone is looking up at him. My father. “Maybe, you already have a hint on why I gathered you all up here. “ Jung Ilwoo handed him some papers. “What I’m holding right now are the pictures of our loyal and very skilled fellow Mafia members who were killed in their own hideouts. All of them shot in the head.” He crumpled the papers with his one hand and continued with his speech. “I am mad. Very mad.” He said full of rage. “Whoever did this will definitely suffer a slow death. So if anyone of you knows at least a DAMN thing about this, you might as well hand me over the information personally... Trust me. If I knew it first before you even tell me, I’ll cut your tongue and feed them to the Piranhas. Even if you’re the oldest member of the organization, the youngest, or even my own son, you’ll never get away with the crime that you did. Understand?”

                 No one answered seemingly frightened of what my father said but you can in everyone’s eyes that they are determined to revenge their fallen fellow Mafia members.

                  “Very well. Dismiss.”

                  We rise on our seats and give the leader a bow as he leave the place. When I turned my gaze at the place where my father left, I saw Jung Ilwoo still looking at me. A knot formed on my forehead as he looked away and follow my father.

                 What is he up to?

               But moreover....

                “Ji... he doesn’t mention anything about the successor..” Youngbae spoken as each member started to leave the place.   

                “Yeah. I noticed. It could be two things. One, he’ focusing on the current issue of the killing, ot two, he might already have an information about the successor’s whereabouts.”

               “Then...we must---“ I cut –off Seungri before he can finish his sentence.

               “Let’s talk about this later...Let’s move.”

                  In this kind of situation, anything can happen and now that father seemed to be more focused on the killings and doesn’t emphasize about the whereabouts of the successor, we should be more careful. And I can’t stay put since Sandara is back in Seoul. I need to mee with Lee Dongahe again.

                 But besides that, something’s wrong. I can feel it.

                  Jung Ilwoo.

                Just what is he up to?

 

#               #              #

DARA’s POV

                     “Thank you, Mrs. Kim...”

                     “Anything for you, Sandara... I’m glad you decided to continue until the next semester.” Mrs. Kim answered me with a smile on her face.

                     I arrived yesterday and the land lady of my apartment welcomed me cheerfully. And today, after going back where I used to work for my part time to apply for a job, which I was gladly accepted again, I head straight to the university to enroll for the next semester and Mrs. Kim assisted me throughout the whole process. Mrs. Kim even told me that a beauty and brains like me would be a waste if I didn’t get to finish my studies. And I’m happy to see how she believed in me.

                    “Don’t worry... I’ll pass this semester with flying colors.”

                    “That’s what we called spirit.”

                      We laughed at our conversation and then I bid her goodbye. And once I get out of her office, I jumped with glee and excitement. I’ve been holding these emotions when I saw how he stamped my papers with an “ENROLLED” sign.

                       “KYAAAHHHHHHHH!” I shrieked in happiness. I’m sure I could be heard in the different corners of the university. But I don’t care. This is my moment and no one’s stopping me—

                     “Yeah.Yeah. I heard you. Everyone heard you. You can stop now.”

                   I halted on my crazy antics and my head immediately bolted towards the guy who’s leaning on the wall of the administrative office. I haven’t seen him for a while yet he doesn’t change a bit.

                   “Donghae-yah!”

                  “Hi!!! You miss me?” He was wearing a hoodie but I can still see his face and he is smiling.. as always.

                    Yeah. It’s been a while. The last time we talked is when he tried to kiss me that night. I remembered. I looked away.

                    “H-hello.. Y-yeah... Long time no see...” I said without looking at him.

                    “Heyyyy~ What’s that? You’re talking to me yet you’re eyes are somewhere else.. You just hurt my feelings!” I can sense that he approached me and I unconsciously moved one step away. “You just didn’t do that... Why are you walking away?” I can feel that he’s hurt with my gestures and that hit my conscience. Why am I acting this way when he’s just normal around me. Maybe he already has forgotten about that night and I’m the only one who’s not getting over it.

                    “I’m sorry... I’m just... “ I said as I gazed up at him.

                    “Alright..alright... I know where you’re getting at and I can fully understand that. The last time we saw each other is not really a good thing so.... yeah... I know it’s kinda awkward...”

                      “Yeah... S-sorry..”

                       “Stop saying sorry... It’s my fault... I should be responsible with my actions...” he suddenly dropped down on his knees and clasped his hands together.

                       “Y-yah!!! What a-are you d-doing??? Stand up right now!!!”

                        “So to put up with my mistake, would you mind getting a coffee together?” She even bats his eye lashes to me like a little kid trying to get his ice cream.

                           I looked at him dumfounded. Dumbfounded at his cuteness.

                          “Please~~~” 

                         I looked around us and we are already getting some attentions from the other students. This is embarrassing yet funny.

                      “Can you decide a bit faster? I’m craving for that blueberry cheesecake on the newly opened store near here...”

                         I looked at him again and he just flashed me his brightest smile. As expected, he doesn’t care about his surroundings or if he’s already making a disgrace of himself.

                        I can’t help but let out a chuckle.

                       “I guess, that’s a yes?” Donghae asked excitedly.

                     I just nodded. “Maybe you should treat me...”

                  He stands up and after fixing himself, he gave me thumbs up! “No problem, Ma’am!”

                   I giggled at his silliness and he is,too. It’s kind of refreshing with Donghae. He’s so carefree. It’s like everything is positive around him. I used to have a crush on him, until now, and I once thought that it was love. I was so naïve that time that I never really know what it really means to fall in love. But when I met.....

                     Nah. I shouldn’t think about him...

                  “Let’s go?” he grabbed my hand and pulled me without even waiting for my answer. And why does he look like he’s in a hurry?

                   “Hey! Don’t be too excited... It’s not like that coffee shop will go somewhere else..hahahaha” I even managed to joke around. “And what’s with the hoodie? Are you hiding from someone?”

                   He didn’t answer. Instead his grip on my hand tightened and he’s doubling his pace in walking. Once we arrived at the parking lot. He opened the door on the passenger seat and assisted me to sit there while Donghae walked around the car to get to the driver’s seat.

                   He took off his hoodie and pressed something on his ears. That’s when I noticed that there’s an earpiece in there.

                  “She’s with me now but they’re already here... Go and immobilize them.”

                   I looked at Donghae’s face and I saw how different he was a while ago. What’s happening? I’m starting to get scared.

                “Donghae-yah.. w-what’s wrong? W-who are you t-talking to? Is this one of your pranks again?Cause you know, it’s working...”

                   He started the engine. “Sorry but we’re not going to get some coffee now... You might want to fasten your seatbelts Dara...” He was so serious that I immediately fixed my seatbelt.

                 “Y-yah! What’s happening?” My hands started to get cold and my heart is beating really fast. I’m really getting frightened right now.

                  “I’ll explain later... we must get out of here now...” He drove off so fast that I automatically held on my seat.

                 “Sh!t!” I heard Donghae cursed as the car makes a screeching sound when it turned from a corner.  “Kwon... they’re following us... what the hell are you doing?”

                  Kwon? I-is that Jiyong?

                  Then I heard a gunshot.

                  I think my heart stopped as I looked outside the window. I saw a man on his leather jacket and black pants riding a motorbike... and holding a gun.

                   J-jiyong?

                  Another gunshot is heard.

 

 

#             #             #

 

Author’s POV

*on my knees and bowing at you guys repeatedly*

FORGIVE ME FOR NOT UPDATING FOR A MONTH!

I’M SOOOO SORRY!

 

Anyways,

I know some of you guys are asking what’s happening,

why they are being chase all of a sudden...and whatnots...

but don’t worry, everything will get clear  in the next chapters...

kkkk~

And that I don’t know when will I update again!

 

SOOOORRRYYY for the broken promises (if I ever did broken a promise but I’m sure I did so yeah... I’m not getting somewhere here.... I know.. so yeah... bye! See you on the next update!)

 

KKkkk~

 

THANK YOU TO MY LOVELY READERS!

 

@superrookie_aff