Chapter 14: Girlfriend

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

DARA’S POV

               *YAWWWNNNSS~*

                   I’ve been yawning for the hundredth time already. I didn’t sleep well. My eyes were wide open and my senses were extremely strong last night. I am FULLY AWARE of what’s happening on my surrounding. From the sound of the wind blowing up to the small sounds of JIYONG’S BREATHING. The distance of the sofa, where he slept, and my bed are not that much especially that the only thing separating my bed room to my living room is a colorful curtain. My apartment is literally a four cornered room only. It’s like, when you enter my place, you'll see the kitchen, living room and bed room all at once. What you see is what you get!

                  I was just looking at his silhouette the whole night. I was thinking if he felt comfortable sleeping there OR should I wake him up ‘cause he is not allowed to sleep in my place OR should I look out for him afraid that he might fall off since his height doesn’t fit on my sofa OR just stare at him the whole night admiring his peaceful form? When he moved, I always bolted on the other side of the bed and pretended that I’m asleep.

                  The sun was already rising when I realized that I dozed off. I abruptly get up from my bed and my eyes automatically darted on the sofa but Jiyong wasn’t there. He left without a word.

                    *yawn*

                    “..but I ended up revealing myself to them.” Bom said with teary eyes.

                   Oh, right! I almost forgot my friends here talking about their ‘love life’, but mostly it was Bom speaking. She’s talking about her cheating boyfriend and whatnots. I knew it. That guy is NO GOOD! But Bom, being a fragile woman that she is—

                 “BUT I met this guy...” she beamed. The dejected mood changed into a blissful one.

                  OK. I take back what I said.

                “Oh sh!t! I don’t wanna hear it.” CL uttered while waving her hands as if dismissing what Bom was about to say.

              "He helped me take my revenge with my ex." Bom continued ignoring CL's remarks. I rested my head on my arms placed in the table and listened to Bom. I'm so sleepy. Besides, when it comes to this kind of matter (L.O.V.E), I don't have anything to share. I've got crushes but I don't think I have felt the feeling of being inlove.

               I haven't gone on a date.

               I haven't held hands with a guy.

               I haven’t kissed---

              Kiss?

              "I can still imagine my Ex's face when he saw us kissing."

             “HE KISSED YOU?”

             KISSED ME???

              “NO!” I shrieked.

              Kissed me? NO! He didn’t! It’s just an accident. It was just a soft touch less than a millisecond! He just whispered something on my lips. Yeah. That’s righ – NO! I mean, he fell asleep and I didn’t saw it coming, I was defenseless. I unconsciously touch my lips. The feeling is still there. GAAAHHH!

                  I shake my head to erase the unwelcoming thoughts in my mind.

                 “She’s crazy.”

                  “I bet she is.”

                  I looked at my friends and found them staring at me with I-can’t-believe-she’s-my-friend look. After a moment, I realized that CL is pertaining to Bom when she asked about that ‘he kissed you thing’.I gave them a lopsided smile. I hope they didn’t notice anything unusual with my actions.

                 “What’s with those droopy eyes, Dara? Didn’t you sleep well last night?” CL asked.

                 I cleared my throat. “H-huh? No... I just..umm...”

                  “I got a strong feeling that something happened last night.” The ever – curious and suspicious PARK BOM said. One wrong answer and she’ll definitely read what’s on my mind.

               “Ha-ha-ha.” That was sooo awkward! “Trust me, n-nothing h-happened, Bom-ah!”

               “You’re awkward laugh says different.”

                I told you. She can read my mind! She’s a mutant! 

                “It’s something about the ‘kiss’.” CL interjected

                 I flinched after hearing that forbidden word (yes, it is forbidden!).

                 I’m dead. I need to get away from here. CL plus Bom is a lethal combination. They’ll surely get anything they want from me if they joined forces.

                   “Kiss?” Bom asked with excitement on her voice. “Why? Did someone kiss you, Dara-yah?”

                    “NO!” I waved my hands as a gesture of disapproval. “Noonekissedmeaccidentallywhileheissleeping.” I huffed.

                     “Kissed you while he is sleeping?”

                    Bom and CL asked in unison. I covered my mouth. Did I just dig my own grave? Oh no...

                     I NEED TO GET AWAY FROM HERE!!!!

                   “Spill it out, Dara---- YAAAHHHH!”

                    I immediately grabbed my backpack and dashed away. I can hear CL cursing and Bom shouting my name like there’s no tomorrow. But I just can’t deal with them now. I’m not going to show my face to them for a week.

 

#   #   #

                 *sigh*

                  I managed to hide from my friends this whole day and now I’m trailing my way to my apartment. I didn’t bring my bike because it ended up on the repair shop. Poor buddy.  It is almost the end of the semester and I’m just hoping that I’m still a part of their scholarship program for the last semester. Vacation is coming and it means I’m going to see my mother again. This is making me excited.

                  The sun is already setting and it beautifully illuminated the Han River. I decided to stop on my track and sit on a bench to admire its magnificence. It brought a smile to my face. I wish I’m seeing this with my mother and father.

                  “No more tracksuits, I guess.”

                  “WAAHHH!”

                 I bolted on my seat after the sudden intrusion of that voice.

                “Hello to you, too... Pikachu.”

                 It’s Jiyong. The person I’m not ready to face yet.

                 He is seated near me with his crossed legs and arms placed on the backrest of the bench. Why didn’t I notice him there? 

                “H-how did you get there?”

                “I’ve been here before you even came.”

                 My mouth opened to retaliate but closed it again after realizing that it’s no use. His gaze is focused forward and I get a chance to observe him. He’s still oozing with charisma. My eyes landed on his lips and the ‘accident’ that happened last night flashed through my mind. I immediately turn my gaze away from him.

                 “What kind of person is not aware of her surroundings? I called it stupid.”

                 “I’M NOT STUPID!” I countered because I know that he is pertaining to me. Gone is the admiration I gave him a while ago.

                  He just shrugged his shoulders. What was that??? Ugh. He’s still that annoying jerk- NO - he became worst!!!  

                  I huffed in annoyance and acted like punching him while he’s not looking. “I’m leaving!” I stand up and strode with big steps away from him. He ruined my ‘alone moment’. He ruined the beauty of the sunset. He always ruins everything.

                  “NOONA!!!”

                   I whipped my head from the side when a kid called me then BAMMMM! The ball and my face made a contact.

                   It hurts. The ball rolls adjacent to my foot. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply to calm myself and then opened it again. I can see the apologetic smiles of the three teenage kids, who owned the damn ball. I guess they’re around 12 or 13 years of age.

                  A certain someone materialized beside me and I know who exactly it is. He picked the ball and twirls it in his hands.

                  “I told you.” he said with a hint of teasing in his voice.

                   I ignored him and stayed calm. I don’t want to get mad. It’s almost the end of the day so I’m gonna end it with positive energy surrounding me. Yes. Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.

                   “Sorry noona!” the three teenagers approached us.

                    “Are you alright?” one of them asked.

                    I gave him a genuine smile. I saw him blushed. So cute. Anyways, he didn’t intend to hurt me so being angry at him because of an accident is unreasonable.  “I’m fine—“

                  “No! Noona is hurt because of your recklessness.” Jiyong interjected. I looked at him wide – eyed. What is he doing?

                  The three kids’ faces fell. “Sorry...” they uttered in unison. I saw a smirk in Jiyong’s face. What is he playing?

                   “But Noona said she’ll forgive you if you beat Hyung in a game.” He said while shifting the ball from his hands.

                   The kids beamed at Jiyong. “Really hyung?” the kid with cute eye smiles said while Jiyong nodded.

                   “But what if we fail?” the kid who looks so much alike with Jiyong  asked.

                    “Then Noona will despise you for the rest of her life.”

                    “WHAT? NO!” I reacted.

                    “Bobby-yah! Mino – hyung! I don’t think it’s worth a try with that kind of consequences.” The third kid with his cute cheek bones interjected, his hands behind his head. “This hyung is lookin’ at us like kids.”

                    “What?But we are still kids, B.I.” says the Jiyong look-a-like who’s called Mino.

                    “Says the 13 year-old kid with a voice like a 42 year-old man”. B.I answered. The former kid, Mino, cleared his thr0at . I like this kid. He is so clever. “We ain’t no kids anymore.”               

                    “But it would be fun B.I.” the one he called Bobby pleaded. “Come on! Don’t you want to play with an adult?”

                     A smile formed on my lips. This situation is becoming cute.

                    “Why? You scared kid?” Jiyong pronounced hyphening the situation. I saw B.I make a serious expression.

                    “I ain’t no scared to someone like you.” B.I countered in a hiphop kind of way. “And I didn’t say anything about backing out.” He approached Jiyong and started a staring battle. “I just want you to take us seriously.” B.I looked at me then blushed before looking back at Jiyong again with that same intense look. “If you win, we’ll become your slaves for three days and Noona will despise us for the rest of her life.”

                    “WHAT?” Bobby and Mino shocked at B.I’s sudden challenge. Jiyong smirked seemingly enjoying the moment.

                  “But if you lose... you have to break up with Noona... and she should go on a date with me.”

                 I choked on my own saliva after hearing that. I saw the other two kids jaw dropped with B.I’s declaration. I admit, I blushed but this kid is just wasting his time. Jiyong won’t take him seriously with that kind of dares. And first things first, I’M NOT EVEN HIS GIRLFRIEND!

                “Umm.. B.I, right? Look, I’m not—“

                “Deal.” I looked up to Jiyong and found him giving B.I that same intense look.

                 Is he serious?  

                 “Then let’s get this done and over with... Hyung.” That last word came out as a sarcastic remark from B.I.

                “Don’t go running back at your mother’s womb crying after you lose.” Jiyong smirked.

                They did a fist bump and held it for a while.

                “Oh man. Here goes B.I again.”

                “Mino – hyung! Let’s do our best, ayt?” Bobby who seemed to be excited about everything nudged Mino who casted a worried look at B.I.

                I can’t believe this is happening. I thought Jiyong will stop toying with these kids after hearing B.I.’s proclamation but he didn’t. And he doesn’t look like he’ll take this easily. He seemed to be ready to fight this battle.

                A battle with kids.

               This is insanity.

 

#   #   #

                 “Jiyong, you don’t have to do this. Come on. It’s so... childish.” I urged him to stop the game while he is busy fixing himself. He removed his plaid shirt wrapped around his waist then rolled the sleeves of his shirt up to his shoulders.

               We are now here at a basketball court just near the Han River. The moon already showed up and lights found at the four corners of the court illuminated the place.

                “Childish?” He chuckled. “This is a battle between two men, Pikachu! Don’t take that B.I kid so lightly...’cause I don’t.”  

                 I can’t believe my eyes and ears. Is he really doing this?

                 “I initiated the challenge so backing out will make me look like a coward.” He stood up and shoved his hands on his pockets. He didn’t even bother to take some stretches. “And besides, you’re at stake here.....”  It came out as a whisper but I heard it. What does it mean?

                “What?” I asked to check but I bet he won’t say it again. He hates repeating his words.

                 “Nothing. Just watch and cheer for me.” He turned to me and gave me a wink. “I don’t wanna break up with you...” he chuckled playfully before running at the middle of the court where B.I’s team is waiting.

               I know it was a joke but I can’t help a giddy smile forming on my lips.

               I hate him.

 

#   #   #

                Throughout the game, I can’t help but shrieked at some points. These kids are no joke. They can play. Maybe, growing up playing on streets gave them the leverage to enhance their skills. Especially, B.I. He really did well. And he is sooo cute. After making a shot, he’ll look at me and gave me a heart sign where he puts his hands on top of his head to make a heart shape. His friends making a cringing look after seeing it made me laugh.

                I thought for a second that they’ll win against Jiyong but I guess, they’re still kids. They lost. It was a fun game though. I enjoyed a lot.

                “It’s alright B.I., it was a fun game.” Mino comforted B.I whose head is bowed down.

                 “Thank you for the good game, hyung!” Bobby bowed who seemed to be not that affected about their lost.

                 “You did great, kids. I just can’t afford to lose.” Jiyong said while messing the three kids’ hair.

                  “It means Noona won’t forgive us.” B.I uttered with disappointment laced on his voice.

                  I approached him and messed his hair. “I don’t have to forgive anyone ‘cause you’ve done nothing wrong with me. Cheer up, B.I. Noona is really amazed on your basketball skills. Thank you.”

                A smile slowly formed on his lips. “Thank you, too, Noona.” His eyes shifted to someone on my back and gave him a mocking smirk. “You hear that, hyung? She’s amazed on my skills.”

                “I admit it was a great game, kid.” Jiyong said regarding B.I. and his friends.

                “I know. And thank you for not holding back, hyung.”

                 They smiled and shake hands.

                 It’s good to see Jiyong smiling genuinely.

                Dugeun...

               It’s my heart again. Why is it beating unusually?

                I heaved a deep sigh and thankfully, it came back to its normal pace. Having these reactions towards Jiyong is slowly bothering me. This is something new and I don’t know how to handle it. I hope it’ll fade away soon.

#   #   #

              Before we separate ways with the kids, Jiyong treated them with an ice cream. B.I even gave Jiyong and I some parting speech,

               “I won’t lose next time, hyung! And Noona, please wait for me! I’ll snatch you away from hyung!”

              I giggled. He’s such an adorable kid.

             “You’re still thinking about that kid, don’t you?”

               Oh, right. I’m still with Jiyong. Wait? Why am I still with him? I’m already walking to the direction of my apartment and I decided to not take a part time for today because I wanted to take a time for myself. But why is he still here?

                “So what if I am? Anyways, why are you still here? Can’t you see I’m going home?”

                “Why? Can’t I walk around this area?”

                 Ugh. He always has his way out. He’s annoyingly clever. Tsk. I walked ahead from him but stepped back after noticing the group of guys having fun at the other side of the street. I don’t have any good memories with those kinds of gangster like dudes. The happenings in the bar flashed through my mind. They look distastefully at me and I unconsciously $nake my arms around Jiyong’s left arm. Why aren’t there people walking in this area?

                 “Hey! Pretty boy!!! Can I have a night with that gorgeous chick of yours?” one of them yelled and they roared in laughter.

                  Jiyong halted on his steps and I felt him stiffened. He looked dangerously at the group of guys. I’ve seen that same look in the bar. I know what’s running in his mind and it means trouble.

                “What’s wrong, pretty boy? Got sh!t on your pants already?Wahahahaha!”

                 Jiyong was about to take a step but I stopped him. He looked at me with a frown on his face. “No.”

               I noticed the unstable movement of his shoulders. He is breathing unevenly. I can sense that he is mad. “I’m just going to give them what they want.” He uttered in a dangerous tone. He tried to take a step again but I held his arms firmly.

               “Please no. I don’t want you to get hurt. Please.”

                He looked at me again but this time I saw something in his eyes. Confusion? I don’t know. All I can think of now is to get away from here and go home safely.

                  I felt him relaxed and I quickly ushered him away from that place. We can still hear the group of guys whistling and calling names like ‘What a coward?’ and the likes. I know it is hard for Jiyong to stop himself from giving those guys some lesson but his safety is what matters the most.

                 “I stopped myself for now, Pikachu... It doesn’t mean I’m going to let it slip.”

                  “Shut up! Just be thankful that you didn’t get hurt.”

                  “Oh. They should be the one being thankful, I tell you that.”

                  I sighed. I’m not going to win against him.

                  “I guess you enjoyed clinging on me, don’t you?”

                   I swiftly removed my arms on his and held both straps of my backpack. “S-sorry.”

                  He chuckled. “I don’t mind though.”

                  I looked at him but his eyes are focused forward. He is biting his lips while his hands, as usual, are shoved on his pockets. Sometimes I wonder when he spoke out such kind of statements IF it is still for teasing me because there is something inside of me that felt like it was his genuine concern over me. JUST A TINY FEELING THOUGH.

                  I whipped my head away from him and cleared my throat. My mind is drifting somewhere else again.

                 “Umm... s-so you l-like playing basketball?” I asked out of nowhere.

                 “Not really.” He answered.

                I nodded. “But you seemed to enjoy it a while ago.”

                “Yeah. I always wanted to try it.”

               “Why? Haven’t you played with your friends when you were younger?”

                 “No. I can’t even remember that part of my life.”

                His voice is laced with something that I can’t fathom. I think this is the first time I took a small peeked at his personal life. Maybe, living in a wealthy family snatched his childhood days in him. Like they said, you can’t get anything in life. There’s no such thing as perfect life. Only perfect love.

                 I dropped the topic because I think he doesn’t want to talk about it. And I don’t want him to think that I am meddling with his business.

                “Do you have a girlfriend-? I covered my mouth but it’s already too late ‘cause he already heard my ‘stupid’ question. I told you. I can’t trust my tongue. I felt betrayed by my own body part.

               “Yes.”

                I almost tripped after hearing that. My heart constricted strangely. What’s this? I feel like something just fall on my shoulder and it’s so heavy that it hurts. I tried to tap my chest to ease the uneasiness I’m feeling. Again, this is something new and strange and I don’t know how to handle it.

                  He has a girlfriend. He has a girlfriend.

                 I’m repeating that sentence in my mind like a mantra. Do I feel affected? But why?

                “W-wow. I can’t b-believe you really h-have a girlfriend... hahahaha.” OK. That was a fake laugh. Gosh! I’m torturing myself. “And who’s t-this unlucky g-girl?”

                  He halted on his steps and faced me. He removed the plaid shirt dangling on his shoulder and placed it around my shoulder. “That unlucky girl is here standing in front of me stuttering like an idiot.”

                   “H-huh?”

                   Me? I’m his girlfriend???? HOW? WHEN? I CAN’T REMEMBER! OH MY GOD! Is it possible? Is it possible that he is awake when he accidentally kissed me? If he was, then it’s not an accident anymore. Eottoke?!

                   “I’m just kidding.” He chuckled then he resumed walking ahead of me.

                    CURSED YOU!!!!

                  It’s official. I hate him!

                  I briskly followed him but stayed a good distance away from him. Ugh. He even put his plaid shirt to me. Aisshhh... He almost got me there. I will not let my guards down again.

                   “But if you’re still curious if I have a girlfriend, then the answer is a ‘No’.” he said without looking back at me. “That ‘L’ word means suicide for me. There’s no such thing as forever.”

                    I halted on my steps after hearing that. He sounded so sure about those things. I can’t believe that there’s someone who doesn’t believe in love or forever.

                     I just look at his retreating back and how his form slowly faded in the shadows.

                   “Jiyong...”

 

#    #   #

 

Author’s Note:

Sorry for the long wait...I got busy with work and stuffs like Naruto ended

and I got very sad that resulted to a writer’s block. Kkkk~

(Don’t mind me. I’m just a big fan of Naruto series! J)

 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter, guys!

^___^

 

THANKS EVERYONE! LOVE YAH!

 

Twitter:

@superrookie_aff

Follow me and I’ll follow back! ^__^

Pyong!