Chapter 15: Tangled Emotions

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

DARA’s POV

                    “I’m sorry, Miss Park. But your scholarship has been revoked for the next semester.”

                    “What?”

                    “Your grades qualified you for the next semester but unfortunately it didn’t reach the requirement for your scholarship. I guess you know the reason why, Miss Park.” The university registrar explained.  “I’m sorry.”

                   Of course, I know the reason why. It’s because I skipped a major exam.

                    All because of Jiyong.

                    My mind is in a hazy. Her lips are moving but I can’t hear anything. The only thing that is clear to me is  that I’m out of the scholarship. The academic scholarship that I work hard for since I step foot in this university. The only thing that I’m holding unto so I can fulfill the promise I made to my father.

                  “Miss Park, are you alright?”

                  “I-I’m f-fine...” I replied, my voice faltering.

                  “So would you enroll for the next semester?”

                 How insensitive that question is.

                 “I.... I’ll g-get back t-to you, Miss Kim. Thank you.” I bowed and left the room with heavy steps. I was walking in the usual hallway and found some familiar and unfamiliar faces having the time of their lives saying ‘goodbyes’ and ‘see you next semester’ to their close friends. Others are fooling around while the university student council is reprimanding them. I guess she’ll have to deal with them for another six months. And some are playing their instruments with the tune of a graduation song.  

                 A graduation song.

                I stopped momentarily when I saw Chaerin and Bom talking at each other. They both looked happy. It’ll be their last semester and they’ll definitely nail it and graduate on time. I’m happy for them, too. But I can’t talk to them right now ‘cause I don’t want to ruin their happy moment with the bad news I’ve got.

               I turned left and walked faster away from the students’ noises. I just wanted to be alone. I don’t want to see anything that’ll remind me that my journey ends here already and that I failed to keep my promise to my father.

                My feet brought me at the back of the school where students’ doesn’t usually hang out. I am breathing heavily because of the surge of emotions that I’m feeling right now. I need to let this out.

               “Dara?”

               I looked up and saw Donghae sitting on the stairs with his headphones dangling on his neck. He immediately descended the stairs and approached me. “Hey, what’s wrong? Are you alright?”

              His eyes conveyed that he is worried about me and him, asking me that question, made me even more emotional. I can feel my tears forming on my eyes. My vision becoming blurry. “Can I borrow your back for a moment?” I asked with trembling voice.

                I didn’t wait for his answer and swiftly turned him around so his back is facing me. I leaned my forehead on his broad back and let the pool of tears run down on my cheeks.

                 I felt him moved to face me but I stopped him. “P-please... “I pleaded. I don’t want him to see me crying. “I j-just need to l-let this out... “He stayed still after hearing my pleas.

                 My tears won’t stop. I just felt disappointed about myself right now. And maybe because of the fact that the reason why this is happening is because of the guy named, Jiyong. “I... I w-wont graduate, Donghae-yah... I will not hear my name called out in that big day.... I will not experience the feeling of receiving that diploma... I can’t keep my promise....” I am stuttering while saying those phrases because I’m crying so hard. “I’m almost there... but I tripped and fall so hard.” I chuckled bitterly.

                  Donghae stand still and let me cry. I’m glad that he is here. I’m glad that I can lean into him.

                 “I’m sorr---“

                 “Shhh.... Don’t say anything...” he said. “You can lean on me anytime, Dara...”

                  “I will always be there for you...”

                 I am pretty sure he said something but I didn’t quite catch it for I am consumed with my emotions. But Donghae being here consoling me, I feel much better.

      

#   #   #

JIYONG’s POV

                    “So she is Choi Jinah?”

                   “Yes, boss. She’s that girl on the video.” Seungri said as a-matter-of-fact.

                   “And the successor...” Top added.

                    We fell silent and just keep on staring at the woman who’s wearing a white robe sitting on a chair while playing with her hair.  

                 “Seungri and I are going to guard outside.” Daesung suggested.

                 I nodded and they went out the room.  Top-hyung stayed at my back while I sit in front of the girl.

                “I don’t know how to talk to you the way you could understand me.”

                Choi Jinah looked at me while biting her nails. This girl is mentally incapacitated. How fxck up this is. We searched for her background history and there’s nothing in it. She grew up being orphaned. She was living in an orphanage since she was like 4 years old but no one in that orphanage told us that she’s like this. Or she has just been like this?

                “Give me the cylinder.”

              Top hyung handed me the cylinder which I haven’t opened yet since I got a hold of it. It was meant to be opened during the introduction of the successor.

               The girl looked at the cylinder and her expression changed instantly. She seemed frightened. “You remember this thing?”

              “N-no... please... n-no..” she said while trying to cover her face.

               “Is this yours?” I asked again.

               “Get it away from me, please..” she said in a pleading manner.

                Something’s not quite right in here. Why is she that afraid with this cylinder? Did something happen while it’s in her custody?

                I remembered the video. “Why did you give it to someone else? Is there someone following you?”  

                “It’s n-not mine... It’s not mine..” she kept on repeating that phrase. “It’s not mine...”

                 “Boss, this is getting useless. This woman is crazy....literally.” Top hyung butted in.

               “Did someone turn you into this?”

                She started covering her ears and shaking her head while saying ‘get away from me.’

               “Please...p-please... I don’t know anything... please...”

               “Jiyong...” Top hyung held my shoulder but I ignored him. She knows something and I’m having a bad feeling about it.

               “Are you the successor?” I asked starting to get impatient but still, she just keeps doing those same gestures.

                 “Ji... you are forcing her...” Top hyung reprimanded me. “She can’t answer your questions in this kind of condition... let’s just wait for her to get better.” But again it fell into deaf ears for I am certain that she can answer my questions right now.

                 “Why did you run away from your orphanage?”

                   Her eyes widened after hearing her home. “No.. Not my family... No... I didn’t mean to... I didn’t mean to keep it... I just found it... floating in the river... please... trust me.. it’s not mine... don’t.. don’t hurt my family... it’s not mine... please!” she said sobbing while kneeling in front of me. “I’m begging you... please... “

                      She sobbed and fear is evident in her eyes while I remained silent after the confirmation that something’s not right in this whole fiasco. She’s not the successor.

                     “Oh sh!t... this is getting more and more complicated, Boss.”

                     “No... Things are just getting started...” I stood up and walked away but before I turn the knob, the crazy girl conveyed a cryptic message.

                    “Throw that thing.... if you don’t... you’ll die.”

                  I ignored her and we left.

 

#     #    #

                  We came back at the safe house and we found Youngbae still busy in front of his computers. Cords and cables everywhere. He is still working on finding the infiltrator.

                 “Aishhh... we’re out of lead.” Seungri pronounced then slumped straightly to the sofa.

                  “What do you mean we’re out of lead? Where’s the successor?” Youngbae asked without turning his gaze at us.

               Daesung approached him and told him the whole story and that made him stop on what he’s doing. “What? But she’s that girl who handed Sandara Park the cylinder!”

                “Yes, she is that girl. Unfortunately, she’s not the real owner of the cylinder. She happened to found it floating in a river and without knowing anything about it, she kept it.” Top hyung explained while leaning on the wall with his arms crossed on his chest. “And it seems that someone found her and thought of her as the successor... and this someone doesn’t sound to be friendly based on her reactions a while ago.”

                 “What do you mean?”

                 I sit in the center table and rested my elbows on my knees and clasped my hands together. “It means that we’ve got enemies. And I believe that they’re toying with us. This whole thing is a trap.”

                  The person who sends the video to us, this is his real intention.  To lure us from finding him and that girl Choi Jinah so he can have more time in finding the real successor. Damn it. He got us big time.

               “Youngbae... the card is on you. Find him.” I said sternly then he nodded. Youngbae is our only chance for now.

                 “Ji... should we tell this to you father?” Top hyung approached me.

                 “No. It’s possible that the fxcking killer is a part of the organization. We can’t take a risk for now.”

                  He nodded as if in understanding. “One more thing... maybe you can skip on playing around with Sandara Park for a whi---“

                   “That’s what I’m going to do... you don’t have to tell me.” I said cutting him off.

                   He raised both his hands as if surrendering. “OK. I’m just saying... ‘cause you know... you have a habit of defying your own words when it comes to that naïve girl.” He chuckled.

                  I gave him a dangerous look but he just winked at me.

                  This fxcker.

 

#    #   #

Dara’s POV

                  “Thank you for accompanying me, Donghae-yah.” I gave him a warm smile.

                  “Why are you doing that? Come on... you’re making me blush.” He joked and I can’t help but laugh with his silliness.

                  After shamelessly crying in his back, he treated me with every food that we can get in the streets and try out all the rides in an amusement park. For someone, it will look like a date but for me, it’s more of like completely losing yourself with happiness. I am very thankful for him for doing that for me. It made me admire him even more.

                 And I’m also thankful that Jiyong didn’t come out in the scene. If he did, I don’t know what reaction I would give to him. I feel like I don’t want to see him because I will just end up blaming him for what happened.

                   And I don’t want that to happen.

                   And now, we are here in front of my apartment. The moon and stars are already filling the sky.

                  “You know... I was just wondering why you still don’t have a girlfriend. I mean, you’re kind of popular in the university and girls are literally throwing themselves at you.”

                  “I’m gay.” He said with a straight face.

                  I hit him in his left arm. “Don’t give me that crap.” After spending a whole day with him, I realized that Donghae is a man with a mind of a five year old boy.

                “Why the sudden interest on my ‘single’ life, Miss Park?”

                 “Nothing. I’m just curious. OK, if you don’t want to answer it, it’s fine. Forget that I asked.”

                “Alright. This might sound dramatic but...” His playful mood instantly changed into something serious. “...someone like me is incapable of loving.”

                 The smile on my face slowly faded. “What?” The way he delivered those words, it felt like he is burdened with something.

                 His gaze penetrated me. Looking to the depths of my soul as if he’s trying to convey something without words being spoken. His eyes devoid with any emotions.

                “Got ya!” He suddenly exclaimed while poking my forehead with his forefinger.

                I exhaled deeply. There he goes again with his weird habit. “That’s not funny.” I uttered then pouted but he just laughed at me.

                “You’re easy to fool, Dara.” He messed up my hair using his right hand.

                “NO, I’m not!” I denied. “It’s just too easy for me to believe.”

                 He flicked my forehead. “Ouch! Why did you do that???” I said while nursing my forehead.

                 “You’re giving me a headache.”

                 We were bathed with silence for a moment until I can’t help it and let out a giggle. He followed suit and we end up like lunatics laughing with no apparent reason. When it subsided, I looked at him and he is to me, too.

                  “I’m glad I made you smile. Don’t cry again, ok?” He uttered and put my stray hair behind my ear.

                   I don’t know what confidence has gotten into me but I gave him a quick peck on his left cheek. I was shocked with myself, too but his expression is more bothering. Oops. It doesn’t look like he is pleased with what I did.

                   “T-that’s... That’s my token of gratitude. Yes. I’m just being thankful.” I explained but his expression didn’t change. “I’m sorr—“

                     He suddenly grabbed me by my waist and held my chin with his other hand. He tilted his head and I’m definitely sure that this is an obvious attempt of kissing. I don’t know what to do so I just closed my eyes and lips tightly. I can sense that his face is inches away from me. I can feel his minty breath fanning on my face. I unconsciously placed my hands on his chest and tried to push him but he held me firmly in place.

                    All I can do is to wait.

                    But why do I feel different? I feel nervous but it’s not that kind where I feel butterflies on my stomach.

                   “This is wrong.” He muttered and in an instant he let go of me. I opened my eyes and let out the breath that I’ve been holding for like a few seconds already. He brushed his face with his palms then covered his mouth.

                   Me, on the other hand, is flabbergasted and frozen on the spot. What just happened?

                   “I’m sorry.” That’s the last thing that he said and he immediately walk away from me.

                    I followed him with my gaze until he disappeared in the darkness of the night.

                   “Ok. Sandara Park... Lee Donghae tried to kiss you. He just did.” I talked to myself still confused with what happened.

                    “You kissed him first... and he is just a guy with hormones, you know.” My inner self interjected on my already messed up mind.

                 OK. What just happened will going to be soooo awkward. Does he like me? But my inner self has a point to. He’s just a guy. But he is Lee Donghae. He’s a gentleman and he won’t just do what he just did without any reason. GAAAHHH! This is making me crazy.

                 I placed my hand on my left chest and felt that my heart is beating on an abnormal pace. It’s different.

               Not like the beat when Jiyong is around.

                   I shook my head and hastily turned the knob of the door. When I was about to go inside, I felt like someone is watching me. I looked at my back and scan the place with my eyes but there is no one. I ignored it and went inside the apartment.

 

#   #   #

                  Lurking in the darkness, Seungri looked at his Boss clenching his teeth in anger. After witnessing Sandara Park and Lee Donghae kissing in front of the girl’s apartment, he was sure that Jiyong was set to raise some hell if he wasn’t there to stop him. The younger guy was unsure why his hyung reacted that way.

               “I’m going to kill that fxcker. He muttered dangerously.

                 Is this the reason why his Top hyung told him to follow their Boss? To show him how Jiyong reacted towards Sandara Park? Now, it picked up his interest but at the same time, he’s worried about something that he cannot gauge.  

                  As if testing the waters, Seungri asked the mad man with an uncertain question. “They just kissed hyung.. what’s wrong with that?”

                 And he regretted it afterwards. Jiyong swiftly held him by the collar and pushed him by the wall. His eyes are full of rage and something more. His breathing is laborious as if his hurting somewhere... somewhere inside. This is the first time he saw Jiyong acting this way.

                “What’s wrong with it? Everything is fxcking damn wrong with it!” Jiyong was about to punch him when Seungri asked a question that made him stop.

                “Do you like her?”

                Jiyong’s hold on Seungri’s collar loosened. His eyes blinked for a few moments as if realizing that he is not acting right.

               “No.” he uttered confidently.

               “Or the right question is.... are you falling inlove with---“

                “Shut up! We are not living in a fairy tale.”

                 Jiyong walked out on Seungri. The latter followed the older guy with his gaze.

                “I think I lost the bet.” Seungri said in a hushed tone pertaining to the bet he made with his Top hyung.

                 With things going wrong with the successor and an unknown person trying to play with them, Seungri thought that this isn’t the time for his hyung to be introduced into an unfamiliar feeling.  He admits, he once felt it and he knows that the consequences can make or break a person.

                 But who is he to tell his hyung’s fate.

 

#   #   #

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

HOW WAS IT?

It’s getting hard everyday,y’know.

Putting the scenarios into pieces.. ACKKK! T__T

I’ll try to update faster since I already picture what I’m going to write

in the next chapter..kkkk~

 

AND TO ALL MY LOVELY READERS AND SUBSCRIBERS!

I THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

And I’m loving all your feedbacks about the each chapters!

Keep ‘em coming ‘cause it keeps me going! Yuhooo! (^^)7

 

^____^

PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO UPVOTE!

 

Twitter:

@superrookie_aff

FOLLOW ME! NAL TTARAHAEYO! I’LL FOLLOW BACK! J