Chapter 26: This is it for Us

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

                  Knock! Knock!.... Knock!.... Knock!

                 Four knocks on the door with a distinct sequence. Only those who are in YG Mafia will recognize it. It means that the one who’s knocking in the house’s door is a member – a friend. It’s a simple code – you could say that.

                Taesoo Kim. A member of the organization. He’s been leaving like a normal businessman at day and works overtime as a Mafia member. Only those who are in the organization would know who he really is and where he exactly lives.

                He immediately gets the gun which he hides inside an ancient Chinese jar and shoves it at his back. He recognized the knocks on the door but it is also stated in the rule book: “ALWAYS KEEP A GUN.”

              Like a trained person that he is, he slowly inched to the door and grabbed the knob.

              “State your name.” He asked behind the door.

              “It’s me.”

               He sighed in relief when he recognized the voice. He shouldn’t be acting like this to this visitor. Although he wonders why he gets a surprised visit like this. Oh. He remembers! Rumors of him being promoted for the level of second-in-command are spreading like a wildfire in the organization. He totally deserves it though because he’s been serving YG Mafia for more than 10 years now. Maybe it’s because of that.

               He turned the knob and was ready to welcome his visitor when...

               “What brought you here, --------“

              He didn’t even get to finish his word when a silencer took his life. His body falls backward with his eyes still wide open though he’s already lifeless.

              “Stupid.”

              The man who did the crime looked down at the corpse lying just beneath his feet. He smirked and leaves the place inaudibly.

 

#    #    #

Jiyong’s POV

                Me and Top left the Yakuza’s turf first thing in the morning. I paid respect to them as it is deemed necessary when what entirely running on my mind is give that fxcking leader a punch in the face. He and his daughter really did play their cards with me pretty damn well. In these cases, my initial action would be to get back with them but I decided not to because Yura took notice of Sandara. I can’t risk anything right now especially in this situation that we are in.

            Sigh...

             I let Top behind the steering wheel. I’m not in the mood to drive. I’m looking outside the window of the car....then I closed my eyes. My mind is entirely a mess right now. That night.... she was crying... that night...

FLASHBACK...

                  I can’t sleep because I kept thinking about ‘that’ girl. Her pained expression that time bothers me. Top tried to contact me that time. Sending messages successively and calling me endlessly. I didn’t get to---no--- I don’t want to answer any of them. The reason? I don’t know either.

                 So I decided to leave the place and take some air outside. I found a need to get a drive on town. I even have to talk to the Yakuza lookouts because I’m going to travel late at night. Of course, it looks suspicious. But they bought my alibi and let me go. I decided not to take Top with me. He speaks trouble.

               I drove without any particular direction but then again, I found myself in front of Sandara’s house. The night is dark but the moon is shining bright illuminating the place. Everyone’s already sleeping.

              ‘What the fxck am I doing here?’

               That’s been running on my mind. I shake my head and roll up the window of my car. I am not supposed to be here. But what I saw in the theme park bothers me. I glanced once again at her house and took a deep breath.

             Maybe... a little peek won’t hurt.

            It seems like my body is moving on its own. I got off the car and stealthily walk towards Sandara’s house. I walk until I reached the side where Sandara’s room is. Her window is closed and a curtain is preventing me to see what’s inside.

           She’s asleep.

          ‘Just a little peek. I’m just going to check if she’s fine.’

           I inched closer to the window to do my way with it and open it but before I can even do that, I heard a faint sound of someone..... sobbing. I crouched and placed my ears at the wall. Having been trained to develop all my senses, I can clearly hear what’s happening behind this wall.

             And all I can hear is a woman crying... and that was Sandara... I’m definitely sure of that.

             Something rushed through me and my hand automatically reached for the window... but I stopped midair.

             ‘If I show up then she’ll creep out.’

             Not a good idea...

             I sat in the ground and rested my back in the wall. I pulled one of my knees up and placed my right arm on it. I looked up to the moon as Sandara’s cries rung through my ears. I firmly closed my eyes. I have to calm my nerves. Her sobs are making me restless... and I can’t do anything about it.

              ‘Why are you crying at this hour, Pikachu?’ I talked inside my head.

              I stayed on my spot until her sobs subsided. I opened my eyes and saw how the moon hides behind the clouds.

             It gets darker.

            “Is it because of me?” I whispered.

             I stood up and faced the window again. I planted my hand on it and gave it a look. It seems like she’s already asleep.

           I wish I could see her---

          A knot formed in my forehead and I immediately removed my hand on the window. I glanced sideways and found a person standing just meters away from me.

           “Don’t you think it’s too late for a visit?”

           “I’m just checking on her... Ma’am.” I bowed at her then started walking past her.

             It was Mrs. Park. I don’t know why she’s out at this hour but I it is not a goodtime for some questioning. “It doesn’t look like that to me, Jiyong-ssi.” I halted on my steps just before I reached my car. I turned to her and it’s obvious that she followed me. “You heard her crying?”

            I kept silent. She’s asking the question which I believe she already know the answer to.

           “Well?” But she’s diligently waiting for me to answer.

           “Mrs.Park... I have a classified mission to accomplish which I believe you’re also a part of. You know who I am... and I mean...WHAT I really am and a crying woman is out of the things I should worry about.” I answered with a straight face.

             “I’m just asking if you heard her cry, Jiyong-ssi, you don’t have to be that defensive...hahahaha.” She laughed so carefree... just like Sandara.

              “I did hear her cry.” I responded just to stop her from saying anymore.

             “Hahahaha... look at that. You actually can answer directly, what’s with the—“

              “Mrs. Park, I’m sorry to interrupt you but it’s too late for you to stay outside like this. I suggest you get back to your house...”

              She stopped laughing but a smile remained plastered on her face and she’s looking at me with... is that admiration?

              “You’re a good guy, Jiyong-ssi...” she said.

              I almost laugh at that sudden comment. “It’s too easy for you to say that...”

             “Maybe because you’re too easy to read...” she smiled again.

             “I guess you could only say that because I’m not holding a gun right now...”

             She laughed again. “I always wanted to talk to you... I’ve been persuading Donghae for us to meet but it seems like fate has already make its own way. I think this is the perfect time... Come with me.” She turned her back at me and lit a flashlight on her way. What is this woman up to?

              “Hey...” I tried to stop her but she just ignored me. There’s nothing I can do but to follow her.

 

                                                                                                                              -END OF FLASHBACK

 

               “Hey... Boss! BOSS!” I was startled with that voice. Did I fall asleep? “I’m sorry to wake you up from your slumber but we’re already here in front of Sandara’s house.

                My eyes widen because of what he said. “What? What the fxck are we doing here?”

                 “Why are you acting surprised? I asked you if we could drop a visit here before our rendezvous with that Donghae and you said yes.” Top answered defensively.

                 “I can’t remember agreeing in any of your ideas, big guy!”

                “You did! You mumbled an ‘eung’ sound a while ago and I interpreted it as a ‘yes’.”

                 I looked at him with my deadpan eyes and he just shrugged his shoulders. Why do I have to put up with this uncanny human being?

                 “Let’s go back... we don’t have any business here.” I told him.

                 “We don’t?”

                  I chanced to get a glimpse of Sandara’s house and then I saw her. She’s happily conversing with her neighborhood... and her mother.

                “Yes... we don’t.” I shifted my gaze forward and uttered those words.

               “Don’t give me that crap...”

               “Hey!”

                Top suddenly got off the car and I tried to grab him but I failed to do so. With his big strides, he’s going straight at Sandara’s house. “Damn it! What’s wrong with this guy?”

                 Out of irritation, I got out of the car, too and followed him. I’ll make this fast as possible.

                 I momentarily stopped when I saw Sandara talking to Top with a confused face. I unconsciously take one step backward when she shifted her gaze at my direction.

                Then she coldly turned away.

                I wasn’t expecting that at all. I’m used to her irritated or frustrated face. Not this one.

              Nevermind.

               I continued walking until I reach them. “Jiyong-oppa!” The girl with red hair, they call Minji, approached me first. She has this disappointed look on her face. “I haven’t seen you after the party and now you’re showing up when you’re already leaving?”

                 I looked at Mrs. Park and Sandara where the latter is not looking at me then back to Minji. “Top hyung just wants to say goodbye, we actually didn’t plan to drop by.”

               The young girl looked even more disappointed, she pouted and make a strange face. I looked at Top confused at the situation and the guy just face-palmed while shaking his head. Did I say something wrong?

                “So is it over? We got a long drive back to Seoul, we better get moving Top hyung...”

               “I’m sorry... It seems like we are in a hurry...  We’re going now..” Top hyung told them.

               I was secretly taking a glance at Sandara but she doesn’t really even throw me a look. Well, I think it is better this way.

             “Alright! Thank you for visiting us and I hope you’ll lookout for my daughter when you bumped into each other in Seoul.” Mrs. Park said before giving me a meaningful look.

               Yeah. I get it.

                  We bowed at them. Top hyung walked ahead of me while I followed suite.

              “Wait!” Someone grabbed my arm and I immediately turned at her. It was Sandara. “Let’s talk.”

                 Everyone was silent. I know her mother is looking at me. I should get going now but what I saw in her eyes is making me uneasy. She was looking directly at my eyes and she seemed serious. I’ve never seen her like this nor she ever gave me that look.

                 “About what?” I met her gaze with mine.

                  She was silent and so am I. I was waiting for her to answer when she looked past me, to Top hyung. “Would you mind waiting for a little while? I just need to talk to him privately.” She said with conviction in her voice.  I took the chance of her not looking at me to shift my gaze to her mother but she just shrugged her shoulders at me.

                “H-huh? S-Sure...” Top responded.

                “You heard him... Let’s go!” She pulled me forcefully.

                “You haven’t got my answer if I wanted to come with you.”

               “I didn’t ask for your permission...” she coldly said without looking back at me.

                I just kept silent. I don’t know where we are going so I just let her pull me. A part of me is saying that this will turn out to something.... bad.

                She stopped and carelessly let go of my hand. Her back is still facing me. I look around, it seems like we are in a secluded place.  There are varieties of vegetables planted in the area and some flowers, too. I guess this is where they grow their crops.

                “What’s this?” She asked all of a sudden then faced me with that little keychain on her hand.

                I admit I’m surprised to see that but I didn’t show her that I was affected by it. It was the little Pikachu keychain I won at the theme park. I was planning to keep it by myself so I don’t know who gave that to her.

                 ”Ah, sh!t! Top hyung...”

                “A keychain.” I answered sarcastically.

                She is breathing heavily as if she’s restraining something. “I know. But why would you give me something like this?”

                 “I didn’t give it to you.”

                “Top told me it was from you...”

                “You can’t trust the word of that guy---“

                 “Why can’t you be honest with me, Jiyong?” She cut off my sentence with that question. There. That unfamiliar look again. I don’t want to see it... It’s making me uneasy.

                 “So what if it came from me?” I asked her with an impassive look plastered on my face. “It’s just a keychain...”

                 “Just a keychain...” she said with a low voice. “And I’m just Sandara Park...”

                 She held the keychain firmly and then her hand falls limply on her side. She shifted her gaze downwards and still, her breathing is still uneven.

                 ”And I’m just Sandara Park...”

                  I wanted to tell her that she’s wrong but it will make the situation right now worst. I need to get away. If I stay here more, it’ll just add another conflict.

                  This is it for us...

                  “Is that it?” She didn’t answer. I took that as a yes. “Well, I’m leaving..” Though a part of doesn’t want to leave her like this, I don’t have any choice... it is best for her.

                 When I started to turn my back at her, two arms suddenly hugged me from the back. My eyes widen because of this... Sandara, what are you doing?

                  This is not good.

                  “I....”

                   Don’t say it.

                 “I’m s-sorry...but I..”

                  Please, don’t say it.

                 “I’m sorry... I... I t-think I’ve f-fallen inlove with y-you...”

                  No..

 

FLASHBACK....

                   We are now here at a top of a hill and there’s a big tree planted on the middle; a tombstone is lying just beneath the feet of the tree.

                   ‘It’s the grave of Sandara’s father.’

                   “Why are we here, Mrs. Park?” I asked the old woman who is looking lovingly at the grave of his late husband.

                  “I just want you to meet my husband, Sandara’s father...”

                “Why is the need for that?”

                 She looked at me then smile. “I just want you to know that he died protecting me and my daughter. He wanted to give us a normal life. Away from the world you are in.”

                I didn’t get to answer immediately because I’m startled on her sudden sharing of story though I’ve already heard it from Donghae. “Well, he is a good man, I guess.”

               “He is. Just like you.”

                What’s this? Why do I feel like this is getting somewhere I’m not going to like?

               “Mrs. Park, tell me... what’s the real reason you are saying this to me?”

               She looked at her husband’s grave and sat on her heels to touch it. “I only have Sandara. I promised his father that I will take care of her no matter what. That his sacrifice will not be put into waste... I tried everything I could to give her a normal life without getting in her way while pursuing her dreams. When I thought that everything is going on its way, fate played its biggest card... Yours and her paths crossed. You’re a YG Mafia. The scariest thing that I’m praying for not to ensue happened in just a blink of an eye. I was scared. Too scared actually. But it seems like God is really kind to me because it happens that you are a good guy, too.” She stood up and faces me again. “I felt a little relieved with that.” She clasped her hands together as if she’s really thankful. “Thank you for looking out on my daughter...”

                  “It is something I had to do...You don’t have to thank me...”

                   “Why did you do it? You could have been the YG Mafia leader---“

                   “I did it for her. She deserves to live a normal life--- a life you dreamed for her. I can’t take that away from her. I’d do anything just to keep that smile on her face.” I said out of nowhere.

                   “No doubt she fell in love with you..”

                   “What?” I was dumbfounded after hearing that. How can she casually say that?

                   “She has been asking me things about how she felt with this certain guy which I’m pretty sure is you... and I can say that she really fallen for you.”

                   I don’t know what to say about it. After hearing that, I think I need to see her. I want to see her... I really want to see her...

                  “And I do feel that you are,too... with her.. But... I’m asking you a favor of a lifetime...”

                   “......”

                   I know this will end up like this..

                 “I’m sorry for asking you this... but after all this commotions... can you please.....can you please stay away from her? I can’t risk my daughter’s life just because you two have fallen for each other...”

                  There. I think something clenched my heart. What is this feeling? The thought of not seeing Sandara anymore... it... it’s going to kill me... I never thought this day would come... I never thought it will feel this hard...

                 “Please, Jiyong-ssi?” Many thoughts are running on my mind but after seeing Mrs. Park’s crying face,a decision have been made...

                                                                                                                      -END OF FLASHBACK

 

#    #   #

DARA’S POV

                     I’m laying all my cards in here. I don’t care anymore. I need this. I need to hear it from his mouth. After receiving that keychain from Top, different kinds of feelings just rushed through me especially when I saw him.

                     This is now or never. If he won’t accept my feelings then it’s fine, at least I told him what I feel about him. I’ll just cry my hearts out in the end.

                   But I admit a big part of me is still hoping that he feels the same way,too...

                    I waited for him to say something. My heart is going to get out from my chest because of nervousness. After this, I don’t know what will happen between us. It could mean I won’t see him again and just by thinking about it...

                 No! Please.... answer me.

                 My eyes widen when I felt his hand on top of mine, He gripped it firmly...

                Is he going to reciprocate my feelings for him?

                 But my heart crushed in front of me as he slowly removed my arms around him.

                 Sh!t... I think this is it...

                  He let go of my hands and it slowly fall limply on my sides. I swallowed a lump forming on my throat... It’s getting harder for me to breathe... “I g-guess t-that’s a n-no...?” I asked bravely.

                  He shoved his hands on his pocket while his back is still facing me. “I can’t go out with you for now, Sandara... I’m sorry...”

                I didn’t quite get what he said, all I heard is the words ‘I’m sorry’. I let out a forced laugh.. “Ha-ha-ha-ha... O-Of course... I j-just say t-that because I r-really want you to know... I c-can’t really hide this k-kind of f-feelings for a long time... I’m sorry it came o-out to this... I’m such a f-fool for falling for you...” One by one, tears streamed down from my face. I placed my forehead on his back and gave him a light punch on his broad shoulder. “B-but you know.... Y-you could’ve hesitated a little before a-answering me so it w-won’t hurt this much.”

                   “I’m sorry...”

                  I bit my lips to stop myself from weeping so hard. So this is how it feels like to be broken hearted. I feel like a thousand needles is striking through my heart with every breathe that I take. I’ve never thought I’ve fallen this hard for him.

                  “Y-you should leave first... “ I told him and took a step backward away from him. He was about to face but.. “Don’t. I don’t want you to see me... Just l-leave... I d-don’t need your p-pity...”

                 He stayed on his spot for a few more seconds and just like that, he walked out away from me.

                I look at his retreating back.

                This is so painful.

                 I think this is it for us.

 

 

 

#    #   #

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

I do believe that it is harder for Jiyong’s part...

I don’t know...

Anyways, I tried to write a dramatic scene but I guess

I really need more practice..kkkk~

I’m used to writing funny and fluffy things that painful ones..

 

WELL!

That’s all for now..

Sorry for not updating every so often...

Real time job is so demanding and my head is entirely in a mess

right now that I can’t really write a thing for the next chapters

but don’t worry, like I’ve said before, I will definitely finish this one no matter what!

^___^

AND THANK YOU FOR THE BIRTHDAY GREETINGS! I APPRECIATED IT A LOT!

THANK YOU TO MY READERS AND YOUR VERY INSPIRING COMMENTS!

‘til next time!

By the way, sorry for the typo and grammatical errors!:p

Follow me on twitter:

@superrookie_aff