CHAPTER 33: Choices

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

DARA’S POV

 

                    “She’s not going anywhere.” Jiyong announced with authority. “We’ll still carry out our escape plan.” He continued without breaking eye contact with Ilwoo.

                    I’m still in shock after hearing what Ilwoo said. Those mafias wanted me in exchange of Jiyong’s mother. Am I that so important that they have to implicate other people just to get me? This doesn’t rest well with me at all.

                     “We’re not going to surrender Dara to those ba$tards.” Donghae pulled me behind him as if shielding me from Ilwoo.

                    Ilwoo reached out on his pocket and pulled out a crumpled paper. He fixed it and shows what was written on it. It was in big letters but the most shocking thing is, it was written in blood.

                        ‘GIVE ME THE SUCCESSOR OR I’LL KILL YOUR MOTHER- YG’

                       That was the content of the note.

                     “They will kill your mother, Jiyong! I am so fxcking certain about it. And that girl is the only way to save her.” Ilwoo pointed at me with desperation on his voice. “I already reached this far and I am not going to end this $hit waiting for your mother’s cold body lying beneath my feet. I failed to save my brother’s life before, it’s not happening again!”

                      “It’s your fault.” Jiyong said without any remorse on his voice. “You could’ve hide her better but you didn’t and now this happened. Don’t expect me to agree on any of your ideas regarding on saving that woman.” He was about to walk pass Ilwoo but the latter grabbed his arm.

                      “She’s not just a ‘woman’, she’s still your mother!” Ilwoo said with gritted teeth. “You owe your life to her.”

                      Everyone fell silent. My eyes are already b with tears. “She carried you for nine months. If she didn’t want you, you wouldn’t be here at all, Jiyong.”

                      Jiyong let out an exasperated sigh. “I don’t like repeating myself.” He draw his arm back and leave without saying anything.

                      “I’m going after him.” Youngbae suggested. “Daesung come with me.” Then the two of them followed Jiyong.

                      I saw how Ilwoo’s face fell. Although I don’t know what he’s gone through, I can see and feel his genuine concern towards Jiyong’s family. I want to help but I can’t do anything about it.

                     “Ilwoo….” Top called out to the guy who was glued on his spot after Jiyong left. “We would have to kill you if you’re planning on using force to get Sandara.”

                     Ilwoo looked at me and Donghae automatically shielded me. “I don’t plan on using the successor. And I also don’t plan on surrendering her to anyone. I don’t have the right to do so.”

                He looked sincere while pronouncing those words. Although I felt relieved hearing him say that he doesn’t plan on using me, I can’t still remove from my system that the only way to save Jiyong’s mother is through me. My life versus her life.

                    I still want to help.

                   Ilwoo then looked at Top. “Maybe I was just expecting Jiyong would offer some help.”

                  “And you heard him a while ago.” Seungri stepped forward. “This thing about his mother is a sensitive topic for him. I hope you understand.”

                  “I know. But I’m still going to save her even if means I need to go alone.” Ilwoo said with conviction and then ascended upstairs without saying anything.

                   “W-wait…-”

                   “Let him be.” Donghae stopped me when I tried to follow Ilwoo. “We can’t do anything about it.”

                  We can’t do anything about it? That’s it? But a woman’s life is at stake here and we can’t do anything about it?

                   No. THIS ISN’T RIGHT!

                 I clenched my teeth. “I… I need to rest.” I tried to sound calm but inside, I’m burning with rage.

                “Ok. Let me you-”

                “No. I can manage.” I didn’t wait for Donghae to finish his words as I walked out of the scene. Once I reached my room, I closed the door then locked it. I lean my forehead on it and closed my eyes, sighing heavily.

                   There’s at least something that I can do.

 

# # # # # # #

              “Eomma, I’m hungry….” Little Jiyong clutched his stomach with his hands. Under his big jacket, he’s wearing three pile of sweater and a scarf around his neck. A bonnet on his head, knitted gloves on his hands and pants that warms his skinny legs and a pair of snow boots. 

               It was winter…

           His mother knelt in front of him and held his little hands. “Don’t worry, my son! We are almost there… You can eat whatever you want as soon as we reached your aunt’s house, ok?” She smiled as she caressed his face.

             “Why are we always changing house Eomma?” the curious Jiyong asked.

             His mother went silent for a while but then gave him a reassuring smile. “This time, I will do my hardest to give you the best home that you have ever wished for.” She said as he hugged Jiyong.

               All he can do is nod and hug her back.... tightly. Because deep in his heart, the best home will always be his mother’s embrace.

#  #  #

                 
              “Auntie, I’m hungry….” Jiyong tugged the hem of his aunt’s clothes. His mother is nowhere to be found and it is already dinner time.

              “What a stubborn child!” His aunt shouted at him as if he was an eyesore. “I told you to wait for your useless mother, didn’t I? Don’t bother us while we are eating! Get out of here!”

                 He was confused. When his mother is here, his aunt act good to him but when he was alone, they treat him like he was unwanted… like he was unloved.

                His eyes was b with tears but he held it in and went to the front door. Where is his mother? She said she’s just going to find money.

                “Eomma….” He whispered as he looked outside the window, a single tear escaped from his eyes.

 

#   #   #

             Jiyong woke up with the sound of his mother’s voice. “Jiyong…. I’m leaving.”

            He bolted on his bed as he heard those words. “Can I come? I’m hungry.” He said almost pleading. Every night, when his mother come home, he will lie that he wants to wait for her so they can eat dinner together when in fact, he was deprived from food by his auntie and cousins.

            “I told you, you can’t come. Eomma is going to earn some money, ok? Your auntie will provide food for you.”

           He wanted to tell her that she thought wrong but he was scared that his aunt might kicked them out the house just like everybody else did.

          He glanced at his mother’s back and there he saw his aunt looking at him with evident threat on her eyes. “O-ok.”

         “Alright. I need to go. I’ll be back.” She smiled at him.

         “Promise?” He asked but at the back of his mind, he’s wishing she’ll say yes.

         “Yes. I promise.”

           He’s always the happiest when her mother promised something to him because she’s always true to her promises. Not a single promise was broken.

          “I lov—“ Before he can finish his words, her mother already departed from the bed and faced his aunt.

          How come she didn’t say the ‘I love you’ words?

           They were talking but he can’t make any words from it. But he saw his mother give his auntie a lot of money. He saw how his aunt’s face lit up.

           And before he can wave goodbye, his mother was already gone before his eyes.

 

#   #   #

           “Eommaaaaa!” Jiyong was crying. It has been a week since his mother left. She didn’t came back.

            “WILL YOU SHUT UP??!” His aunt hit him straight to his small and diminishing cheek. He hasn’t been eating properly since then. “Your mother will not come back, can’t you understand that???” His aunt held him forcefully on his face and pointed at him angrily. “So you stop crying and follow my every command. Don’t think I will allow you to live here freely.”

           He continued sobbing painfully but his aunt showed no mercy. “But E-eomma left you money. She said you will g-give me food.”

           Slap!

           He was hit again. But the stinging pain on his left cheek won’t ease the pain on his chest.

            “Stupid child!!!! Listen to me! Your mother is spending all my money on the casino. The money she’s always giving me is the payment for her debt. Do you really believe I’m just gonna welcome you here in my house without anything in return?” She pushed Jiyong on the floor. “I’m not as stupid as your mother! And now that she’s gone, you will pay her debt in behalf of her!”

               “Liar! Liar! Liar!” Jiyong whispered those words like a mantra. He doesn’t believe anything that his aunt said. His mother can’t do such thing. She’s just somewhere out there looking for their new house. A house that they can call their own.

               He loves his mother so much.

               And he knows that she is to him,too.

               He knows…… He believes it.

              But she never came back…

             She never came back for him.

              Every hit and slap he took from his aunt every day, he’s silently praying that his mother will come back and rescue him. Every hurtful words his aunt throws at him, he’s silently praying that everything was just a nightmare. Every rumble of his stomach due to hunger, he’s silently praying that what he believes in was not a product of his deluded mind.

             And still… she didn’t come back for him.

             She promised.

             But he was left broken physically and… emotionally.

                 That day when he met Yang Hyun Suk, the moment he took his hands was the exact moment he buried the memory of his mother 6-feet under the ground.

                “Where’s your mother?” Yang Hyun Suk asked as Jiyong was pulled out from that dark corner.

                  His eyes shows no emotion as he heard the word ‘mother’. “I… I don’t have one.” Mother? What does it mean anyway? “But maybe I did have one… where would I get the surname ‘Kwon’, right?” He laughed bitterly. Oh right, he can’t still get rid of her. He is carrying her surname.

               It’s alright. At least he has something to remind him that a part of his life is already broken and it will never be fixed. No one can.

             “Well… I can give you a different name… if you want to. But you can keep your real one,too.” Yang Hyun Suk asked.

             “Like a nickname?”

            “More like an alias.” He kneeled in front of Jiyong to level his eyes on the innocent kid and ruffled his hair. “Is G-Dragon alright?” He smiled at him. A smile that he never seen before.

             Jiyong knows that something was wrong on his smile. There was danger behind it but he ignored those because of the fact that he was the first person to smile at him since her mother left.

             He felt security all of a sudden.

           “I guess… its fine.” He replied.

           Yang Hyun Suk smiled even wider. “Nice to meet you, G-Dragon.”

#          #          #

JIYONG’S POV

               He drank his bottle of beer as if it was the last one. After learning from Ilwoo that the woman who he despised is under the hands of the person who he treated as his father for a long time and betrayed him, every time he closed his eyes, all those memories came flooding like it was just yesterday.

                Kwon Jiyong….

                It is his name. He never removed that ‘Kwon’. It was his way of reminding himself of the hurt and pain he felt when he was young. It was the reason he survived up until now.

                But sometimes he wondered… was it really the reason?

                He swore to himself that he will never long for that woman again or even get involved with her. He never tried to find her nor go back to the places where they lived before. He literally erased her in his life.

                 So why the fxck is he being emotionally affected by this?

               “FXCK!” He shouted as he throw the bottle on the wall and it shattered into pieces. He stared at those broken pieces. It’s just like him. Broken and can never be whole again.

                “Jiyong.”

                  It was Youngbae. He was holding two cans of beer. He looked at the shattered bottle that was on the floor and then sighed. He then approached him and offered the other can to him.

                “What are you doing here drinking alone?” He accepted the can of beer and opened it immediately.

                “I’m celebrating this fxcked up situation.” He said and gulp a large amount of beer.

                “You don’t have to torture yourself like this Ji…” Youngbae told him sincerely. If there is anyone who knows him enough, that would be Youngbae. He was the first to be recruited and not long after, Youngbae was, too. They practically trained and grow up together but unlike him, Youngbae wasn’t the leader type of guy. But eventhough he was the leader, it seems like Youngbae is the one protecting him in the shadows.  He considered him as his best teammate and as his closest brother.

               “I don’t know entirely what happened between you and your moth—I mean, that woman…The only thing I know is that you hate her but seeing you like this, you sure look like you are suffering.”

               He chuckled bitterly. “Me? Suffering? From what? I sure hella suffered enough that I once thought that I don’t know how to feel anymore. This is nothing compared to that.”

               “But Jiyong, didn’t you hear what Ilwoo said? He said your mother didn’t leave you--- “

               “Do you actually believe what that man said?” He said feeling infuriated.

               “I don’t but look, that guy saved us. We won’t be having this conversation if he let us die. I’m not asking you to trust or believe him Jiyong… but ask yourself, why are we doing this? Why are we here and not there helping the organization with your ‘fake’ father? We already have our one foot on the edge of our funeral when we decided to join the organization but tell me, why are we still alive?”

                He fell silent. Why is he still alive? As far as he knows, BEFORE, he doesn’t care if he dies while on a mission, all he cared about was to finish each and every mission and impress his father but he never care about his life. But why does it feel like he wanted to be alive a lot longer than before.

                 Suddenly, Sandara’s face crossed his mind…

                He looked at Youngbae.

              “I’ll tell you why I’m still alive, Jiyong.” Youngbae put his left arm on his shoulder. “It’s because of this team that I’m still alive and kicking. I wasn’t sure before because I am not used of having comrades around me. I grew up literally alone before I met you and just like you, I once forget how to feel anymore.” Youngbae smiled at him. “But seeing you guys looking out for each other’s back, I told myself that I needed to be alive to protect this team. To help you do what you really wanted to do.”

               What I really wanted to do?

               “And right now, I can tell that all you wanted to do is to keep ‘her’ safe.” Youngbae told him sincerely. And by ‘her’ means her. That smile of hers. That genuine smile of hers. “And I will definitely help you with that because it is your reason that you are alive right now.”

               “Wait! I did not told you that she is the reason-----“ He tried to retaliate but Youngbae beat him to it.

              “Don’t fight me with this Jiyong. Just fxcking admit it to yourself.” Youngbae pushed him by his shoulder. “I think TOP hyung was correct all along.”

              “I don’t know what you mean by that. You guys can live in your own fairy tale world.” He sipped on his beer and looked elsewhere.

              And then silence enveloped them.

               Then there’s a slight changed on his mood. He remembered the first time he met Sandara. It was the most unexpected thing but since then he didn’t took notice of the time or days that had passed, all he think about that time is to think of ways on how to annoy her and see those annoyed face that she makes.

                He never felt so human when she’s around.

                A smile suddenly formed on his lips.

                But it was gone when Youngbae nudged him. “I think you perfectly know what I meant earlier.”

               “No… I was just remembering some funn---“

               “But I’m not talking to you right now because I wanted to play cupid between you and Sandara. I am talking to you right now because of your mother.”

               His mood got sour again after hearing that word. “You don’t have to say that word out loud Youngbae.”

                 “Whatever Jiyong. She’s still your mother and she needed our help.”

                 “We can not do that. Saving her means jeopardizing Sandara’s safety.”

                  “Look. Sandara’s not a stupid woman and you know that. She’s smart and has a fxcking soft heart. After learning that she’s the reason why your mother is in danger, do you think she can stay still? She’ll fxcking get depressed if something happens to your mother. Or worst, she’ll make a bad move or decision that can endanger her life.”

                He shakes his head disagreeing on Youngbae’s words. “Not gonna happen as long as she’s under our radar.”

               “Don’t be too sure of yourself, Ji.  Time will come that we have to be gone in her eyes. You know that. And before that, let’s not give her a reason to be sad or to think too much. We must save your mother in order to save Sandara,too. We don’t need to give her to them… we can find other ways to retrieve your mother.”

                 Youngbae was right. He is not going to be a permanent part of Sandara’s life.

                  What’s this stinging pain on my chest just thinking about that? He thought to himself.

                He looked at Youngbae still pondering on the decision that he should make. He is weighing out his choices.

                He clicked his tongue. “I can’t risk Sadara’s life Youngbae, we’ll still carry our initial plan…” He said looking at Youngbae’s eyes.

                 Youngbae sighed in defeat.

                “…without me.” He continued.

                “What?” Youngbae asked in confusion.

                “I’ll saved that woman by myself.”                  

             

                 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR’s NOTE:

GOSH!!!!!

*singing*

It’s been a long day…

Without you my friend….

 

IT’S BEEN LITERALLY SO LONG SINCE I LAST UPDATED THIS FIC AND I AM SOOO SORRY.

I CAN’T BLAME YOU GUYS IF YOU LEAVE BECAUSE I AM A LOUSY WRITER. T_T

*mianhae*

I just lost my passion this past few months because I don’t have any inspiration at all

BUT SINCE LAST NIGHT… my passion came in like a wrecking ball because of Daragon.

They we’re so cute and all lovey-dovey together during MOTTE in Manila.

Thank you for the fancams and pictures that you guys have shared in INsta and twitter.

Saranghae!

 

P.S

Again, Sorry,,, I’ll try to update as much as possible….

Currently, I’m learning Japanese and at the same time working my as$ off so I don’t have

that much time to write…

And sorry if this update don’t have a lot of Daragon moments since it’s almost near the ..  T_T

    

ANYWAYS! THANK YOU AS ALWAYS!