Chapter 28: Revelations 1

The Trickster and The Mafia Leader

 

DARA’S POV

                     BANG!

                   My eyes widen as the motorbike reduced its speed. Did he get shot?

                  Jiyong!!!

                  I looked at the back and saw how Jiyong maneuvered the motorbike. He stopped in the middle of the road and he pointed the gun at the black cars which I think is the one chasing us. Donghae suddenly turned in a corner and I only caught a glimpse of Jiyong pulling the trigger of the gun continuously. The black car loses its control as it hits the other one.

                  “J-jiyong...” My eyes started to water in fear. I can’t even hear my own voice. What is happening? Is this a nightmare? I shifted my body to look at the front again. My heart is beating so fast that I felt like my face started to get pale. My hands are cold and my knees are shaking.

                   I looked at Donghae and I saw a different person. His face looks grim and he isn’t... smiling.

                  “Kwon... We are approaching the next point... Get in there..NOW!” He spoke impatiently as he pressed the earpiece in his right ear.

                    “I-Is... a-alright... h-him..? J-jiyong... W-what’s happening? W-why.... I-I’m....” I can’t even organize my words.

                    “Dara... I can’t talk about this right now... I need you to calm down.” Donghae said without even glancing at me.

                    “C-calm down? How can I do that when we are being chased by those hooligans and Jiyong is trying to face them head-to-head with a gun?” I lose my temper and yelled at Donghae while my tears are still pouring down. 

                     He didn’t say anything instead he entered an old underground parking lot and stopped the car in there.  He got out of the car and that’s when I saw another person holding a gun waiting in there. I recognized him. It was Top.

                    I was digesting everything on my brain when the car door open and someone grabbed the seatbelt and let it loose. It was Donghae. He gripped my hand tightly as he looked directly into my eyes. This man is not the Donghae that I’ve come to know.

                   “You must get out of here.” He pulled me out of the car and I just let him take me. My knees are still shaking and I almost lose my balance. My tears are already drying up. I don’t know what to feel anymore.

                     “Sandara... you need to wear this.” Top approached us and he makes me wear a jacket and a face mask. I noticed something on his back. I know what it is. It’s a sniper. After that, he looked at Donghae. “Youngbae is with Seungri and Daesung, they are still being chased but Youngbae succeeded on hacking the major CCTV provider in Seoul. He can see everything now... and the thing is... more are coming to get us.”

                    “That’s not surprising at all.” Donghae said as he started gearing himself up with guns which is in the car’s compartment.

                     He noticed that I’m looking at him. He looked at himself and at the gun that he is holding then looks at me again. He hid the gun under his suit jacket and pulled out something in his compartment again. It was a bull cap. He then approached me and fixed the cap in my head.

                      “I’ll explain everything when get out of here. I promise... it’s going to be fine.” Then he gave me his flashy smile...... but...

                     That’s not the smile he’s always wearing... That’s not it.

                     Then I heard a screeching sound. It came from a motorbike. It stopped just near us and a lump suddenly forms in my throat as I saw the one driving it. Thank goodness he’s fine. He still looks like the same when I last saw him.

                      Is he the Jiyong that I’ve learned to love?

                     I felt like my world turned slow motion when he looked at me. He’s still gripping that gun that he used a while ago. His eyes.... they’re dark but there’s something more.... is it fear?

                     “Come on.”

                     I heard him say. I don’t know what he meant by that. He looked impatient yet I’m still not moving in my spot. I felt like if I took one step, I’m going to fall. His lips are moving but I cannot comprehend anything that he is saying. I feel like crying because of the overwhelming emotions that are creeping out on my chest one by one. But my eyes are dry; I don’t know why I stopped crying.

                      The next thing I know, someone forcibly grabbed my arm. I felt the pain and I was suddenly brought back in reality. I looked up at the man who did it, and I saw a raging dragon, Jiyong.

                      “THIS IS NOT THE FXCKING TIME TO SPACE OUT!” He was yelling at me. “Get your sh!ts together and cooperate.”

                      “Kwon, don’t yell at her like that... It’s not helping.” Donghae came to my aid and remove Jiyong’s hand that’s gripping my arm. “If we’re not in this situation, I would have punched you right now.”

                      Jiyong was about to say something when Top beat him to it.

                       “Guys. We need to move...Youngbae said that they’re already coming!”

                  “Get in the car.” Jiyong firmly said and then hurried up to get in the black car. I just noticed that there are two cars in here, maybe because I’m not in myself. The one where I was with Donghae a while ago and the other one maybe is Top’s. Jiyong get in Top’s car.

                    “Let’s go, Dara...” Donghae escorted me in the car. I sat in the passenger’s seat. Donghae fixed my seatbelt and after that he gave my hand a squeeze. I looked up to him and he gave me a nod as if reassuring that I’ll be fine... I’ll be safe.

                   “Save that lingering stares later... we need to move.” Jiyong said. I don’t know if it was for me or for Donghae. But Donghae immediately let go of my hand and then closed the door.

                   I looked at Jiyong as he started the engine of the car. He wasn’t looking at me...

                 “Don’t look at me.... “He said softly before the car makes a screeching sound as he maneuvered the car and exited that parking lot.

                   There are so many emotions welling up inside me right now but on top of it is that I’m scared. I have no clue on what’s happening and who are those people chasing us. Why am I here? Am I there target? But the big question is... do I really know the person beside me at all?

                      No. I don’t know anything anymore.

                    “You don’t have to worry... they’re not going to chase us from here. The other members are the decoy.... they’re good.... as for us.... I’m taking you to a safe house. We’ll meet the others there.”

                   I looked away from him and shifted my gaze forward. He’s driving really fast. Where are we going? Is it safe there? Am I really safe with him?

                    I wish this is just one of my nightmares. I wish that when I woke up from this bad dream, everything will be the same again. But I can still feel the pain in my chest from being scared... I guess this is real...

                     My eyes are getting heavier as I looked at the road ahead of us. I feel weak. I feel exhausted. I feel like my heart stopped racing...

                      Then everything faded to black..

#    #    #

****

                    “Appa!Appa!” A young Dara called out to her father who’s packing up her things in her small backpack.

                   “Yes,Dara?” Her father replied and gave her a warm smile.

                   “Why do we need to leave this house?” the innocent little girl asked her father.

                    Her father chuckled and messed her hair. “Hmmm? Let’s just say that Appa found a place where I can protect my Dara peacefully.”

                    Dara fixed her hair with a pout. “As long as I’m with Appa, I’ll be safe, right?” she said innocently.

                   Her father can’t help but gave her daughter a loving smile. “Yes, of course.”

****

              “Appa! Do we have any relatives? I haven’t seen anyone of them? Do I have a cousin who’s in my age?” A teenage Dara asked as they’re plowing at their backyard.                   

              Her father suddenly stopped from plowing and looked at her with a smile. “Why are you asking this all of a sudden, huh?”

               She stopped from plowing, too and slumped on the ground. “My classmates are always talking about how they got to sleepover in their aunt’s house or how they do ‘girl talks’ with their cousins... And I was just there at the corner listening to their every stories... You know... I’m just curious...”

                She looked at her father with a sad face but when she realized that it might make her dad worry, she suddenly showed him a wide smile. “Forget it... I’m just being a drama queen... you can’t blame me though... just like what the others say, my age is supposed to be my rebellious stage so yeah..that’s just me being rebellious...hahahahaha... I don’t even get myself, Appa!”

                Her father approached her and sits beside her. “That’s not being rebellious, Dara... It’s far from being like that...” Her father messed her hair and then rested his arm on her shoulder. “Relatives, you say? Well... we do have relatives but they’re very—and I mean VERY—far from us... I can’t even remember when was the last time I saw them... And I’m pretty sure you got cousins within your age, too...”

               Dara attentively listened to his father who’s looking upfront. She’s waiting for her father to continue. Of course she REALLY wanted to know why she hasn’t seen any of her relatives or why they’re not visiting them. “I think I’m responsible for the fact that I rob out your opportunity of knowing our relatives.” After saying that he smiled at me and then placed his hand above my head. “I’m sorry.”

              “A-Appa... No.. you don’t have t-to...”

              “No.. I have to.” He then placed his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him. “The only thing that I’m not going to apologize for is giving you the normal life that you have now.”

                 I didn’t understand him at all but I felt the genuine love of a father that he’s always been showing me.

               “I love you, Appa...”

****

                        “E-eomma?” I saw my mother crying while hugging my father’s coat. There’s a police asking questions at her but it looks like she’s not hearing any of them.

                     I run to her and hold both her shoulders. “W-what h-happened?”

                    “D-dara....Y-your father... H-he’s....” She’s forcing out every words to escape from her trembling lips.

                   I was scared to hear what she’s going to say next. No. I shouldn’t think any negative thoughts. I know my father’s fine. I know he’ll come back to us. He said he’s going to protect us...me. He’s not lying when he said that, right?

                “H-He’s d-dead....”

                 Those words.... I saw how my world crumbled beneath my feet. It was painful...

                 It’s too painful......

 

#         #         #

DARA’S POV

                     My eyes flicked open.  “A dream...” I sat up and surveyed the place where I’m in. It’s dark. The only thing illuminating the room is the light coming from the full moon peeking from the window on my right.

                  “What happened?” I talked to myself as I tried to remember why I’m here.

                  “You’re awake.”

                   My heart jumped out on my chest when that voice suddenly intervenes. The man who owns that voice was sitting just few meters away from the bed where I’m in. And I know who exactly he was.

                   “Don’t creep out. It’s just me!”

                  Donghae stand from his seat and walk to the power switch to light up the room. When the room became bright, I finally saw his face clearly. And again... he was smiling at me. He’s wearing that unusual smile again. I don’t like it.

                   “I know you don’t like sleeping with the lights on...” he continued speaking.

                    He merrily walked to the bed and sat at the edge while his body is turned at me. He was talking but my ears turned deaf as I surveyed his appearance. His disheveled hair. His sweaty shirt. His bruised cheek.

                     “....and I know I---“ He stopped from talking when he noticed that I’m not even listening to him. “Dara...” He was about to touch my cheek when I bolted up from the bed and stepped in the corner far from him.

                   “I-it’s t-true...”

                    It’s not a nightmare. Everything that happened – the car chase... the escaping... the gunshots. Everything really did happen.

                     “Dara... You need to calm down. I’ll explain everything.” Donghae tried to get closer to me but I stopped him.

                     “D-Don’t.... DON”T GET CLOSE TO ME!” I yelled at him as tears pooled down from my cheeks. 

                      He tried to smile at me again. “Dara... you’re hurting my feelings here if you talk that way. It’s me, Dongh—“

                     “YOU’RE NOT! STOP MAKING ME LOOK STUPID! THE DONGHAE I KNOW NEVER SMILED THAT WAY!”

                     I saw how his smile died down. Suddenly the door flung open and few men emerged from it. The first person I recognized is Jiyong.

                     “What happened?” He asked as he approached Donghae and then he looked at me. Our eyes met. I’m positive that the reason why my heart is racing fast in my chest is because I’m scared and confused with the situation but when I saw that eyes... I’m not that sure anymore.

                    “She’s just... scared.” Donghae said in a low voice.

                      “Sandara... “ Jiyong uttered my name. I remembered how much I liked it when he spoke my name rather than calling me Pikachu. But at this moment, I felt indifferent.

                      “J-just who are you?” That question is pertained to everyone. I looked at them one at a time and I recall that I first saw them when I first met Jiyong. Top was there,too and they’re all looking at me.

                      “If you’ll just calm down... we will explain everything you need to know.” Jiyong spoked while approaching me without any hesitation. He stopped just in front of me and at the back of my mind; I wanted to push him away. But I just can’t find the strength to do so. “You just have to listen.” He placed his hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

                       I don’t know what he did or how he did it, but his voice made me relaxed and all I could do is give him a small nod.

 

#          #          #

JIYONG’S POV

                       After successfully immobilizing those Mafia members following us, Lee suggested this safe house as our rendezvous point and of course, as our temporary hideout. This place is actually far from the busy streets of Seoul, perfect for concealing ourselves for the meantime while devising an escape plan for Sandara and a plan of attack for the culprit behind this.

                         We are gathered in the living room and everyone was silent after Lee finished telling Sandara the truth. I was leaning on the wall with my arms crossed on my chest. My eyes never leave Sandara. It was a shocker for her and she can’t help but cry. Moreover, she finally gets to know who and what I really am.  

                   “W-where’s my mother?” She asked as she wipes her tears.

                   “She’s safe. I sent her in one of your family’s safe house in Macau. Don’t worry. No one will be able to harm her. In fact, we’re going there too, it’s just that, we’re in a tight situation now since they have their eyes on us. We can’t just leave without precautions. It’s dangerous for you so we have to make a plan first.” Lee explained and she seemed to understand.

                  And then, she suddenly averted her eyes on my direction and I unconsciously shifted my gaze somewhere else but her.

                  “One more thing... “ I didn’t look at her or rather I can’t look at her with reasons that I can’t comprehend. “You have that cylinder all along?”

                 I heaved a deep sigh before casting a glance at her. Of course, this moment is inevitable. “Yeah. I have it all along. The first time we met you, I asked my men to search your apartment and find the cylinder. I kept it until the mafia knew about it and secretly confiscated it from us.”

                 I saw how her eyes flicker and her shoulders moved up and down. It looks like she’s controlling her emotions. “C-can you give me a good reason why you turned down your organization just to help me? You could’ve been the Mafia leader if you handed me down to them in the first place.”

                 I was about to open my mouth but I realized I don’t even know what I’m supposed to answer to that question. Or is it that I know the answer but I’m incapable of voicing it out.

                Tss..

               I never knew that a time like this would come that I’m actually incapable of doing something. Incapable. She’ll always be the reason why I’m realizing things I haven’t known or felt in my years of existence. She’s definitely one of a kind.

               “You’re lucky they didn’t hand you down to the organization.”

                Our attention was caught by the person who came in wearing all black and his hands shoved in his pockets. The last person I’m going to think that will help us.

                  “If they did... you’re dead by now.”

                   Jung Il Woo.

  #    #   #

 

AUTHOR’s NOTE:

I know. I know it’s short and I was away tooooo loooong!

But don’t worry I’m not going to let you wait THAT long for the next chapter.

Kkkkk~

Anyways, love you all!

Especially that you guys still stick up on this story even though I’m

really bad at updating regularly.

Keep sending your comments! ;)

Kkkk~

Sending love to yah all!

 

Follow me on twitter:

@superrookie_aff