Epilogue: Kim Sungwon

Learn to love again

Two months later

 

“So, what are you going to do?”, Sohee asked cheerfully as we walked down the corridor. Everybody was saying their farewells for Christmas break and the school was emptying faster than usual while we were slowly making our way towards the entrance.

I smiled at her with a shrug. “Don't know. Junhong is going to sleep at my place for Christmas, but I haven't made any other plans yet...”

“Want to grab some waffles before going home?”, she suggested and I nodded excitedly before she sighed. “You know, this whole Zelo-Junhong thing still sounds quite confusing to me, no matter how often you tell me the story”, she mentioned before freezing at the sight of something – or rather someone. I was about to ask what's wrong when Daehyun stopped in front of us and I shut my mouth. Sohee had been very shy around him ever since she had told me she liked him the other day. Her behavior in general had changed since our trip to my grandma's farm with him and you can't imagine how mad she was at me when I told her I had broken up with him because of Junhong.

“H-hey, Soora. Hi Sohee”, Daehyun stuttered, shooting me an unsure glance from time to time. Let's be honest: this “go back to being friends”-thing was much easier said than done, but we were making progress.

“Hi Daehyun”, I greeted and we exchanged a short glance when the normally talkative Sohee remained quiet. “W-we were just about to go out to eat some waffles, would you like to come a-”

“Oh, uhm”, Sohee interrupted me and I saw her clutching at her backpack. “I completely forgot about that thing I left in the classroom!” She coughed. “I'll go and get it...”

“Okay, we'll wait for y-”

“No! No, you go ahead! We'll just go another day, uhm...see you!” And with these words, she turned around and made her way past the masses of people that were going the opposite direction. I raised my eyebrow, clicking my tongue as I met Daehyun's confused gaze.

“Did...Did I do something wrong?”, he asked carefully while I leaned against the lockers to my right. “She has been acting weird for some time, don't you think?”

After taking a deep breath I patted his shoulder with a knowing nod. “You're right, why don't you go after her and ask her? She won't tell me anything, so, good luck.”

“If she doesn't even tell you, why should she-”

But I didn't let him finish and started leaving with a smirk he couldn't see. “Merry Christmas, Daehyun!”, was all I shouted before laughing out loud and stepping outside.

Junhong was standing on the parking area, his nose and mouth buried in a warm scarf while he was scanning the students with a pair of eyes that was almost hidden under his now blonde hair. “Soora!”, he shouted, waving at me as if he wasn't already tall like a lighthouse. Some snowflakes were stuck in his hair and I just couldn't help smiling as I walked up to him and was greeted by a sweet kiss. He then scanned me from head to toe shaking his head. “Aren't you cold? Your school uniform is quite short, isn't it?”

“It's fine. You ask me every day and my answer won't change.” I rolled my eyes, but he removed his scarf to wrap it around my neck instead. His scent surrounded me all of a sudden and I closed my eyes for a moment, enjoying the warmth of the cloth.

“Look at you. You were definitely cold”, he snorted and I took his hand in mine.

“If I say yes, will you be quiet?”, I asked and he pouted playfully when my phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my pocket. Junhong placed his chin on my shoulder to glance at the screen with a frown.

“Daehyun?” I didn't miss out on the slight tone of jealousy in his voice as I read the message and let out a chuckle.

Sohee's not in the classroom, where the hell did she go? D:

Check the rooftop, maybe? If she's there, she definitely has something she's hiding. Please find it out for me.

We started to walk towards the park, a shortcut to my house.“Why is he looking for Sohee?”

I bit my lip to suppress a smile. “I'm just...trying to help a bit”, was all I said with a shrug, picking up speed as I dragged a confused Junhong along.

It stayed quiet for a while and I watched the snowflakes dance in the sky until Junhong spoke up again, his grasp on my hand tightening long enough for me to notice. “It's Tuesday, are you going to visit him again?”

I sighed and nodded. “I guess.”

“You mustn't pity him.”

“I'm not, but he's actually quite okay and there's no one else who'd visit him anyway. I've got nothing to lose anymore.”

“He's a hopeless case.”

“Shut it, stick-figure, I didn't give up on you either, did I? Well, if you'd just tell me-”

“I don't know much either, I won't tell you. And he won't either, it's not your story.” He sighed, running his free hand through his hair. “But fine. Go on and try.”

And, boy, I'd try.

 

I bet some of you are wondering about what happened to the Untouchables after the police came, right?

Well, of course, Youngjae wasn't punished, he was just a spy for the police and therefor had a reason for being with that bunch of criminals. Nobody seemed to care about the fact that he had already been a member of the Untouchables before he had gone to the police and I certainly wouldn't be the one to destroy their white and pure image of him. Youngjae had dropped his mask and he and Daehyun were the best of friends again, which filled me with a lot of relief and happiness.

Hoseok's parents were furious when they found out about what their son had done when they weren't looking and their rage went to an extent where I'd almost have pitied him. Almost.

Concerning Kookie, whose real name was Jeon Jungkook, Youngjae had settled everything so that the boy wouldn't be punished. Instead, the police found his brother and got to know that he had been buying the Untouchables' drugs from time to time and even though I could see how painful it was for Jungkook to watch his brother be arrested, he also knew that it was the right thing to do.

At that time, Youngjae apologized for how he had treated the little boy during his stay at the Untouchables' headquarters, but Jungkook didn't seem to hold a grudge, no, it was quite the opposite. “Youngjae-hyung, I want to become a police officer one day, just like you!”, he exclaimed and Youngjae had to chuckle at his enthusiasm, ruffling the younger's hair.

“Alright then. When that time comes let's be partners, Jungkook”, was his reply and after that, Jeon Jungkook would come to the police station to visit Youngjae on a daily basis, which was very cute.

About the others, I don't know a lot. Suga and many other members of the organization were sent to jail, but concerning those who had managed to escape the other day, nobody knew what they were doing now. Still, without their two leaders, they wouldn't probably manage to stay together, which is why nobody really worried about them.

And then, concerning the leaders...

 

“You again?”, the man asked me with a raised eyebrow, but I remained cheerful. The first few times I had visited him he refused to talk to me and we had been staring at each other for half an hour. “Why are you even coming here?”

A thin pane of clear plastic separated me from the once invincible Sleepy, whose real name was Kim Sungwon, and I drew patterns on its surface. “I want to know about the story of how you got here”, replied I and he raised an eyebrow.

“Your ty friends called the police and I went to jail. You should know the story, you were there.”

“Not that story”, I said rolling my eyes and resting my chin on my palm to look at him. “There's so much more to you.”

“Don't give me that 'you're actually a good person' stare. It's bothersome to have you call me out every Tuesday.” I pouted before leaning back on the chair I was sitting in. “Now, what do you really want?”, he asked, not concealing his irritation.

“Tell me about that nightmare you've been living in.”

It remained silent for a few seconds and Sleepy's eyes widened a bit. “Why would I tell you?”

“Because you looked so hurt when you mentioned it the other day.” I didn't dare to mention Junhong, because his name had caused Sleepy to leave in silence the week before. I had been trying to get closer to Sleepy by slowly testing my limits for the past weeks and maybe today it would pay off.

Sleepy's eyes scanned my face, looking for a hint concerning my intentions, but I really just wanted to know. “Don't expect me to cry and tell you a story”, he uttered, “Though it's quite depressing.” I nodded. He wouldn't talk freely, he didn't know where to begin.

“Then what about an interview? I'll ask the questions”, I suggested, causing him to snort in disbelief, but his eyes didn't betray his emotions. He was curious. Taking that as a 'yes', I took a deep breath. Again, it took me some time to ask the correct questions, but with every time I asked he would answer sincerely and I can claim to know his story today. So here it is, just for you:

 

Did you ever dream that you were all alone? You tried screaming for help, but no one would come to save you? It's that kind of story, I guess.

 

Thirteen-year-old Kim Sungwon was a happy middle-class kid with a sister, older by five years. Her name was Jieun and she was a high-school girl. He admired her and couldn't have been more proud of her; she was the one person he could always trust. He loved her in a way only a sibling could. But one day, she came home with a young man and seemed to have forgotten about her little brother. Minwoo is such a dream boy. He's perfect. Minwoo this, Minwoo that. She moved out of their house right after graduating to live with her Minwoo. Sungwon felt betrayed and of no importance, because she wouldn't contact him often.

At the age of fifteen, his friends began to change. They had always been quite lively, but now they began to search for bigger challenges than kidnapping their neighbor's cat and feeding it chocolate. They wanted to be taken seriously. They wanted to be like adults.

That's why Sungwon's friends began to steal from various places. Their homes, nearby convenience stores, even the teachers' office. Once they had started, they couldn't stop. Be it alcohol, cigarettes or just something good to eat: Sungwon never felt so alive, but little did he know how deep he would fall.

When he was seventeen years old, he went to bars and clubs, gaining more and more followers. He didn't really skip school, but he didn't care much about it either because math and history weren't the things he was interested in. Sungwon was into psychology. The way a human's mind worked. He began to observe his friends, his family and strangers too, looking for their habits and the reasons for them. It was interesting, because once you knew them, that person couldn't lie to you anymore. And lies were a hot topic to him.

At the end of his time at high-school, he met a pretty girl in one of the clubs he liked going to. She was different from the people he had known until then. She was calm and observing too and her own interest in psychology made him like her – they were the same and he thought that maybe he didn't need his sister to be happy after all. It didn't take them long to become a couple, but the Sungwon I talked to can't remember what it felt like when he was with her, because one day, she decided to break up with him.

“W-why, what did I do wrong?”, he asked, holding onto her hand with widened eyes.

“Nothing. That's it, I'm getting bored. I know everything about you, your habits and your thoughts. What's the point in staying?”, she said with a shrug, causing Sungwon to let go of her hand as if it had burned him.

“But what about my feelings? You'll leave me just like that?” Again she shrugged. They weren't the same after all. She didn't feel anything.

“Guess I'm being selfish, but that's life. Deal with it, Sungwon.” And when she left, Sungwon felt his heart become heavy and cold. Didn't she care about him? Were all those confessions nothing but hollow words? Nobody would stay with him forever. 'What's the point in staying?' Right. All he could do was use the people around him until he got bored. It didn't matter how beautiful the women he met afterwards were – his heart remained icy and it locked his emotions up. He'd enjoy their presence until he got bored and then throw them away so that they wouldn't get attached to him.

Sungwon moved out at the age of nineteen to live with two of his friends. Everything he did had a purpose, had a reason, and he wouldn't be bothered by the people he hurt on his way to the top. “The pain will pass”, he mumbled as his group grew from five to twenty people. Sungwon felt powerful and he manipulated everybody to make use of them. One of the friends he was living with got caught stealing something, but he couldn't have cared less. If one disappeared, he'd just find someone new to replace him, why not? Every human is replaceable.

Now you could ask what his parents did about their son's behavior and the answer is simple: Nothing. They were too busy getting into arguments with each other or doing 'adult stuff'. By the time he turned twenty-one he ruled the underground with his remaining roommate, Kyungwook. His friend didn't let himself be manipulated, which meant that he was the only one worth of Sungwon's trust. While Kyungwook would carry out the plans they made together, Sungwon would stay in the background to observe everything like he had always done it. Their followers started calling them 'The Action' and 'Sleepy', because the latter's emotions seemed to be in a deep sleep. Their business was a dangerous one, but Kyungwook and Sungwon enjoyed the adrenaline, the pressure not to leave any marks.

Then, one day, Sungwon's sister called for the first time in three years, wanting to meet up with her little brother. He found out that she was desperate because of the man she now called her husband. “Please help me, Sungwon!”, she cried, tears dripping into the cup of coffee she was clutching at. “Minwoo is violent. He's hurting me. Sungwon, I need your help!”

The young man of now twenty-four years watched with a perfect poker face. Nobody would be able to guess what he was thinking. What he was hiding. “You show up after all this time? You only noticed that now?”, was all he asked calmly and Jieun sobbed while back a strand of hair.

Sungwon was quick to grab her wrist and she flinched when he saw the dark spots her arm was covered in. Something itched in his chest. What was it? “He lost it yesterday...”, Jieun whispered. “You have to help me, I'm your sister. Get rid of my problem somehow. Talk to him, beat him up, I don't care, but I can't live like this!”

An idea came to Sungwon's head and he clicked his tongue, pushing the strange itch aside. The despair in the eyes of his sister, no, that simple human were no lie: She'd do anything if he helped her. “How much is your freedom worth? What do you think?”

“W-what?”

He chuckled, cracking his knuckles. “I want something in return. So tell me: how much would you pay?”

 

That's how he committed his first murder. It was neither Kyungwoo nor anyone else from his organization – Sungwon did it himself. “You know, I should thank you”, he mumbled, squatting down in front of Minwoo's body while cleaning his knife with a smirk. “If it wasn't for you, I'd still think love could heal everything, so...thanks, bastard.” He then turned towards his gang-members that were standing by the door. “Somebody, clean up this mess. Now.” Love wasn't a medicine. Love was a deadly drug.

When he told the woman what he had done she was devastated, her hands trembling. “You did what?

“You told me to get rid of the problem, miss.”

“Yes, the problem, not my husband! Oh my god, Sungwon what did you-”

“If you keep quiet no one will know. If you decide to tattle I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of you as well”, he whispered politely and Jieun's breath hitched, but he just walked past her, leaving her without ever looking back. Soon after that encounter, Kyungwoo told him that Kim Jieun had been declared mentally unstable and had been institutionalized.

“Great”, Sungwon replied blankly, biting his lip while scratching out her name on the list he had in mind. “One witness less to take care of.”

Deciding to drown his memories in blood, he looked for the person he had called his girlfriend a long time ago and when Sungwon watched his followers dispose of her body, a feeling of endless power filled him and caused him to grin. The human race was so vulnerable with all its faults and mistakes, wasn't it? “Kyungwoo?”

“You look quite satisfied, Sleepy”, his friend mentioned while patting his shoulder and Sungwon nodded, his lips.

“Let's teach the world a lesson.” Love is useless.. Love makes you weak. I'll prove it to them. “I want us to be untouchable, Action.”

Kyungwoo understood, a devilish grin appearing on his face too. “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?”

“More like 'what doesn't kill you gets killed by you', don't you think?”

They chuckled evilly and Kyungwoo pushed him past the door in excitement. “Then come on. We've got a lot of plans to make.”

 

And this is how Kim Sungwon became what he is today.

 

 


I really hope you understand Sleepy's character, I came to like him the more I wrote about him xD

I guess many of you would like to know more about Dae and Sohee, huh? I don't know if I can fill a chapter with that to be honest, so I'll just say it's done for now xD

Yes, this epilogue shows a bit of everybody's future after the Untouchables were defeated and it's focused on Sleepy's past, sooo....yeah. (Btw, my first idea was to make him a part of Soora's and Himchan's family, because he's a Kim too, but that would have been too much I guess xD)

Love you all, some are still subscribing, which makes me very happy xD
Oh and please upvote if you liked it! °^°" Please °^°