It can't go on like this

Learn to love again

“Can you...walk?”, I asked Jongup, observing his every move as he was standing in front of me – and swaying to and fro. Zelo and Daehyun were standing by my side while Sohee was carrying her luggage, her way-too-much-luggage, to Jongmin's car that was waiting for us.

“Sssure”, slurred Jongup, but I shook my head and Zelo sighed before taking a step forward and hunkering down. “What're you doing?”

Zelo grew impatient, taking a deep breath to calm down. “Come here, I'll carry you to the car.” Jongup wanted to protest, but had difficulties when he took a step forward and kind of threw himself on Zelo to avoid hitting the ground. It looked like a toddler who tried to walk, but failed and I suppressed a chuckle.

“Is your rib really alright?”, Jongup asked and Zelo nodded before slowly standing up and walking past me and Daehyun.

The latter watched the two other males move down the stairs. “When did they get so close?”, he asked, saying out loud what was occupying me since the day before.

I shrugged. “Don't know... But it's somewhat heartwarming, isn't it?”

It was Daehyun's turn to shrug. “If you think so... Did you sleep well?” I nodded, explaining that this time, Sohee hadn't snored the hell out of me and had even granted me some space on the bed. He glanced at me as if he wanted to say something else, but decided that it wasn't of much importance. “Let's go then”, he suggested and I agreed, following him down the stairs and to the car.

Grandma and grandpa were just saying good-bye to Sohee when granny spotted us and gave me some round package. I didn't need to see it to know what it was. “He might not have worked as hard as you guys, but make sure Jongup gets a slice of it, will you? He asked me for one.” She smiled at me, looking like those generous old ladies from the dramas and I grinned back at her. It was an apple pie, I could smell it.

“I will make sure he gets some, don't worry”, said I before hugging her tightly. “See you soon!”

“See you, little granddaughter. Bring your brother along next time!” Grandma then turned to Daehyun and offered him a hug too. I knew something was off. Granny never offered someone a hug she knew for only two days. “And you, Daehyun, make sure she doesn't do anything stupid, got it?”

He chuckled, scratching the back of his head in timidity. “I guess it's more like she has to watch out for me, miss.”

“You know what I mean! Just take care of her like man, will you?”, grandma replied and my eyes widened at those words.

“Would you stop setting us up?!”, I shouted and I swear I could feel the tips of my ears running red, same with Daehyun, but a silent smile played around his lips. “Come on Daehyun, we're leaving”, I stated, sticking out my tongue while dragging my friend along.

“I'll think about it”, he replied quietly and my grandma returned the smile.

 

 

Zelo's POV

 

The time we drove back went by quite fast, because I was leaning against the window, closing my eyes. Jongup was sleeping to my right while the remaining three started talking about random guys and girls from their school, discussing who was going out with whom and stuff like that. They were all looking happy and casual, but my mind wandered to the message I had received the evening before, just when I had sent the girl downstairs. I took out my phone, switching on the screen to have a look at it again.

The hunt will end soon. Your Hyung will suffer if you keep being like that.

It was from Sleepy, one of the two leaders of the “Untouchables” and a cold shiver of fear went down my spine when I thought of his face. My face may look unconcerned, but I'm just hiding my panic behind it whenever there's a member of their organization in my field of vision. And since I don't know how big it is by now, I'm like that towards everyone. If you don't let anyone get close to you, there's nothing to fear, that's my motto.

I'll have to show up in front of their eyes sooner or later, I thought and shot a glance at the girl through my half-closed eyes. Then, my eyes wandered to Jongup next to me. They mustn't find out where I'm staying, there are too many lives I could risk. Before I knew it, my eyelids became heavier and heavier and I let myself be taken over by my confusing, yet fascinating world of dreams.

 

“Zelo?”, a girl's voice whispered next to me and I opened my eyes. “We're home, get out of the car”, she said, causing me to frown. Already?

“What's with Jongup?”, was all I asked and she seemed to be surprised at my words.

“While you were asleep, we brought everyone home and Jongup to the hospital. You were right, it's just a concussion, he'll rest for a few days now.” I nodded and yawned while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. It was about 3pm and there was something I had to do today, which is why I got off the car to stretch my back.

“I'm hungry”, I mumbled and my stomach grumbled as if to underline my words. The girl chuckled, saying good-bye to our driver and unlocking the door to let me inside.

“Then let's get you something nice, huh?”, she replied. “By the way, we've got an extra key under the carpet in front of the door. There's a hidden hatch there. Just in case nobody's at home when you need to get in or something like that.”

“Alright”, I mumbled as I followed her into the kitchen where we looked into the fridge. “Looks like pancakes”, was my conclusion and she looked at me with wide eyes.

“You know how to cook pancakes?”

“Of course I do. Who doesn't?” The way she had asked her question made an answer unnecessary. I sighed as I took out eggs and milk. “Watch closely, I'll show you.”

I actually let her do the work, giving instructions until we could finally recognize some pancake look-alikes on our plates. “Not bad for the first try”, I stated, considering that you are a quite spoiled girl. But then, I remembered the day before, at the farm, where she had worked like mad to make up for Jongup who had dropped out. She really was difficult to understand... I feel like I'm thinking to much about this household, I figured.

The front door opened and we both looked up from our plates, expecting Hye-sun to show up, but when the person came in, it was an older man. I recognized him, even though I had only seen him once – it was the girl's father. I cleared my throat. “W-Welcome....welcome home Mr....Kim”, I managed to stutter a greeting. I was his daughter's servant after all, but she didn't seem to remember it herself, staring at me in confusion until I sent her a reminding glance and her eyes widened when she finally understood.

“It's alright, Zelo, sit down”, she stated and I bowed slightly before doing so. Why was I even polite, there was no need to, right? That guy could kick you out and you would be the Untouchables' prey, maybe? Right... “Dad, are you alright?”, the girl asked and her old man sighed in a way only stressed out old people do.

“There are some problems with the collaboration we were planning. Someone is damaging the cargo and we don't know who it is.”

I cocked my ears. “If I may ask something”, I mumbled and the other guy raised his head with a frown, but nodded weakly. “What kind of stuff are you transporting?”

“It's a collaboration with many other companies. We're producing various metal objects in all kinds of shapes. We're one of the biggest companies in that domain, why?”

I leaned back on my chair. “I was just wondering, sir. Is there someone who doesn't like your power? Power brings dangers, you should try to avoid making enemies.”

Mr. Kim raised an eyebrow. “You seem to know something about this, who are you?”

“Zelo, sir. Your daughter's personal servant. I didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all, but I heard about stuff like that. Rising up in the food chain causes someone else to go down. That's just how it works.”

The girl sat between us, staring at me with wide eyes, while her father slowly started to smile. “I feel like my Soora made a good choice with you as her servant. I like your attitude. But no, I wouldn't know of any foes I could have made myself. Thanks for your idea though, I'll head up to my room and retire for now.”

I bowed my head again. “Sure, excuse my curiosity”, I replied, but he just waved it off, turning around and leaving for the first floor. As soon as I could hear the door close, I looked at the girl. “What? Never thought I could be polite, huh?” She shook her head. “Surprise, girl.”

“That even sounded intelligent. You have a suspect?”, she asked, leaning on the table to observe my every move. Curiosity was shown in her eyes, glimmering like tiny flames.

I took a bite of my pancake. “There's only one duo that would be cunning enough to do something like that.”

“The founders of the Untouchables? Why would they interfere with metal-production?”

“Think for a second: Metal. What do you make out of metal? You can make knives, weapons in general. It's an important material. If they don't need it, they can sell it, especially if your Dad's company is successful with its products.”

“You sure you're not just thinking it's them, because you hate them?”, she noticed and I shrugged.

“Maybe.” Her tensed up body relaxed a bit in disappointment, because I didn't have some smart reply for her. “It's just a feeling.”

“We should try to convict them somehow. If not for Dad's sake at least for yours”, she mumbled, but I lowered my eating utensils, looking at her right away.

“You can't.”

Her forehead got wrinkles when she frowned. “What do you mean I can't?” Her eyes narrowed to slits and her voice contained some kind of threat.

“You just can't”, I repeated urgently, picking up my fork again. “They'll find you, then they'll find our connection and then we're both dead meat. Don't get involved. It's better for everyone.”

“But it can't go on like this!”, the girl protested while I finished my pancake. “You're suffering! Other people are suffering! You think I care about myself if I can save many other lives? It's not like they would be able to do me any harm anyway...”

“I said you can't and that's why you won't”, I continued hissing in a serious tone. I thought of the families I had been a part of, years ago. Though I had never actually been a part of them... I had to stop her. An idea popped up in my head. “And what about your mother? She wasn't able to deal with your family's enemies either, was she? She's dead.”

A moment of silence filled the room. A moment of staring at me in disbelief. “Did you just-” That's when I knew I made a mistake. I had gone too far. The image of her crying at the attic popped up in my mind.

“I'm...I mean....I didn't mean to go this far”, stuttered I. Why was I stuttering in the first place? It's not like I cared. “S-So...rry...”

Sorry?!”, she asked back. “You just insulted the person I miss the most in my life and all you say is 'sorry'? My mother was like a hero to me.”

I averted my gaze, biting my lower lip and got up. “I'm going out. Don't know when I'll return. See you later”, was all I said before stalking out of the room and leaving for Yongguk's apartment. The sudden expression of shock on her face had put me off my stride. I felt like I was the one hurt, not the girl. And I knew the reason, but didn't want to believe it myself. It was a bad thought.

I had to make sure hyung was okay. Then I'd have to show up at a crowded place to talk to the Untouchables without being in danger. No need to think, just do what you would normally do. Act as always, Zelo, you can do it.

 

But I didn't want to behave “as always”. I was hurt, because that girl had the kind parents I had wished for every night I had spent at the orphanage and even before that. I was too jealous for words.

 

Where was my trust? Where was my safety? Where was my happy childhood? Why me?

 


Getting closer to my favorite part of this story!! YAAAY.....You should be worried, this could end bad for you and whatever feelz you might've built up. But enjoy it anyway |D

I'm running out of Zelo images. If you know some good fantaken images or something like that, please tell me xD

A BIIIIG thanks to wondaerful, who upvoted my story, I love you <3 High five! (/o.o)/°°\(o.o\)