Eat or be eaten, kid.

Learn to love again

Inspiration for this chapter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cY1YAehc_k

 

“Why was kidnapping you their strategy? You father wasn't there anymore, what did they want to do?”, the girl asked with a deep frown on her face as she stopped the bandage that was wrapped around my hand.

I snorted, hiding my anxious eyes as I recalled the first time they had taken me with them. “Since my father was gone, they didn't care where that money came from. And because I was one of the sons, they just let out their grudge on me. It's simple: Ever heard of blackmailing? Kidnapping someone and demanding money to let him free again?”

She nodded and swallowed, her eyes back to piercing my head with their stares, but I averted mine to avoid an emotional breakdown. “If it wasn't for Jongmin, I would have been kidnapped once. Those men wanted to blackmail my father. My brother was already in Japan at that time...But please, continue.”

I nodded before closing my eyes and speaking up again.

 

I didn't suspect anything, talking to the men about my new family and my first day at school as if they were long lost friends. At least I know now, why they were laughing the whole time. “You have to turn left here”, I explained cheerfully, but the car kept driving the other direction. “E-Excuse...m-me?”, I stuttered, suddenly feeling cold and trembling.

You don't get it kid?”, one of them said harshly. “You won't get home until your parents pay enough money.”

It took a moment for me to realize, but I know that I started to cry and to scream then. “Why?! Why, they are so kind!”, I shouted until one of the men lay his hand on my mouth to stop me from talking.

Because of your real daddy. You remember him?” I shook my head. I didn't want to remember him. “He is indebted. He owes us money.”

I bit the big hand until he let go. “I don't even know what he has done. All I know is that he's gone! So let me go!”

The men laughed again. “Right, he's gone. And since we don't know where he is, we'll use you as a bait for your new parents. Because we know that they have money.”

They weren't rich, but they weren't poor either. Middle class. A huge step when you come from the very bottom. “They didn't do anything, that's not fair!” Tears were streaming down my face as they held me in place until we reached their hideout.

And then they said what I won't forget. Never.

“Life's not fair. If you think of it as fair, you'll end up here with us. Again and again.”

The driver pointed at a warehouse and it was empty except for two sofas, a few cupboards and some chairs. They tied me to one of the chairs and gagged me with some piece of cloth that tasted really bad. I didn't even dare to breathe when one of the guys was looking, I mean, I was new at school, not accustomed to my new life yet, but I had been happy until then. And those men made it crash as if it was made of glass. My safe haven was broken. “Why don't you take my brother, where did he go?!”, I shouted desperately.

Your brother isn't in Korea anymore. His family moved to America, out of our range. That's why we're here with you, little kid.” Not even my parents, but my brother was gone too. I was lost. Left alone.

At first, they only wanted 200$. Not like it's not much money, but they raised their price later...you'll see. My new parents were in shock. Of course they payed, no matter for how short they've known me. They didn't know anything about my father, but the fact that a child's life depended on them made them pay the price. The men grinned devilish smiles when receiving the money, my tears were still flowing – they had done so for 3 hours straight – and I was set free again.

I thought it was over. I was a kid and didn't know how much money was worth how much in reality. I had no idea what the actual price for the drugs my father had bought was. And it was a lot more.

After that incident, my new family began to follow my every move – they wanted to make sure I wouldn't be kidnapped again – but I felt like they became more distant at the same time, as if they were afraid of getting too close, too emotionally attached to me. Just in case something happened to me. One day, I overheard a conversation between the two of them. My new Mom was crying and her husband decided that that incident was too much of a shock for them to bare. You may think they were heartless to only think of themselves, but I thought their way myself. I wasn't supposed to be there...

 

I paused again, leaning against the gray and cold wall, next to the girl. “How did you overcome that problem?”, she asked, showing how much she was into the story as if it was a book. A book? This is my goddamn reality.

“We didn't”, I whispered in reply, finally catching her stare for a split second before clearing my throat.

 

They behaved as if they were traumatized. Too scared to tell anyone, but to weak to keep it for themselves. When I hugged them, they stiffened and froze. When I smiled at them, theirs was only hesitant. It came the way it had to: They didn't want me anymore.

I was the problem, they thought, not the men who had kidnapped me. It was easier to blame the helpless, wasn't it? They sent me back to the orphanage, apologizing and pretending they just 'weren't ready for a child'... They didn't know anything and were scared, but I can't blame them for that – I was too.

That's how another year passed at the orphanage, until a new family came by. Even wealthier...maybe upper-middle-class, and they were ready to take care of me. I didn't tell them about the evil men, because I secretly hoped that the Untouchables had forgotten me and moved on... I was seven at that time, soon turning eight and all I wanted to do was to go to school just like before, which is why I was happy once again, building my house of glass just to have it break down 2 months later, because they got me again.

I didn't go voluntarily this time, of course, but they threatened me until I got in the van. “You know the procedure, right?”, one of the men asked teasingly, but I didn't cry this time. I just sat there, all calm and told them that my parents were on a trip, not at home. They really were, but nothing could stop the men. They kept me until they got back. That was a whole week.

I was punched and they teased me, only giving me tiny bits of food and I wasn't used to that anymore, since my new families had been wealthy enough to buy as much food as they wanted. While spending my time without any possibility of moving, I started questioning my existence. Would this ever end? Will I even see the end or will I die before that? Harsh thoughts for an eight-year-old.

I was hungry when Mom and Dad came along, and they payed the men too – this time it was 400$.

They had the same problem with me as my first family had already had: Too much pressure. They were scared, but I tried to calm them down by just smiling. 'It's okay Mom.' 'Don't worry Dad'. 'I'm fine, you should be too.' I said those phrases so many times, but it didn't help at all and it ended where it had started: Back to the orphanage.

 

I took a look around the room, examining the , gray walls and the old wooden door before closing my eyes. “Back into this room.”

“So much pain in two years, I don't know any of these situations – being an orphan, being adopted, being kidnapped – but say: When does Yongguk appear? I thought he was kind of your hero since you're so attached to him. Did he save you from them?”, the girl kept asking so that I wouldn't get lost in emotions and thoughts of the past and I smirked at her curiosity. She didn't look at me with disgust. Not like-

 

There was another family before that. I told them about all that had happened before they could adopt me, but they still came to visit me every week, even though they knew about my past, my problems. I thought: This is the family. They will take care of me. But this time, the house wasn't built of glass, but of cards. Just a simple blow could make it fall apart. They hadn't adopted me yet, but when I was out on a Saturday, 9 years old at that time, the familiar van drove up to me.

You can't take me, there is no family I'm staying at!”, I shouted as loud as my confidence let me.

But there is someone who would pay, we know that. Do you think we sit around all day, waiting for you to get adopted, little kid?”, the harsh man's voice I had endured a year ago and the one before that growled with an evil grin before tying my hands together and throwing me into the car.

Life was not fair. I had tried to built my own safety with families, over and over again, but in the end, I ended up being kidnapped by strange men I hadn't done anything to. They called the family that had been visiting me via video call. 1000$

Don't give them the money! Those are the guys I told you about-” I had tried to warn them, but that's when they made me shut up again. The family couldn't give 1000, but they gave 200, at least something. I asked the Untouchables how much of the debts was left and they just smiled, one of the men taking a knife out of his pocket and stepping closer.

As long as you're our bait, we'll finish this when you turn 18.”

But I don't want to be the bait, let me go!” My eyes widened at the sight of the weapon.

You won't have a choice. Life's cruel and so are we. Eat or be eaten, kid. Don't forget that. And don't forget us.” With these words, the man cut into my belly, deep enough to be painful, but not deep enough to kill me.

 

I blinked before looking at the girl again and raising my shirt a little so that the white scar became visible. “I couldn't forget them. I was marked forever”, I mumbled and the girl hesitantly reached out with her fingers, as if to touch the scar, but I stopped her by putting the shirt back down and continuing with my story after swallowing once.

“And that's when Yongguk-hyung appeared in my life.”

 

They even offered me a normal education in return, but I didn't know that would be put on top of the debts back then. I wanted to be free, nothing else. I wanted to get this over with so that I could start anew when I was 18 and was ready to do anything for it. I had agreed to that bait-thing, because I thought it would be the best way. I had forgotten how to care about the people around me and how to love them and I was the cruel one now.

But then, every Wednesday of the week, a young guy of 16 years came to the orphanage and all he ever did was reading to us kids with his deep voice. He said, he himself had been an orphan for a long time, but he had been adopted about 10 years ago and was happy now.

Lucky you, I thought bitterly, but that guy somehow managed to have me listen to his stories. At the beginning, I hated him. I thought: Maybe I can get him to give me money I can give to the organization. But as the time went by, I felt like I would betray those who really like me by doing that. Yongguk-hyung taught me what brotherly love is like, he taught me what love means and, after two years of avoiding being adopted just to learn from Yongguk every Wednesday, I asked him if I could come and live with him. Yongguk-hyung had never pushed me away, even if I was clingy at times.

But he answered:“I am not wealthy, kid. I live all alone in a small apartment, I don't think I could take care of you”, he said with an embarrassed smile, scratching the back of his head, but his eyes told me that he himself didn't know whether he was able to take care of me or not.

But I think so. I want to stay with you, because I... I feel safe when you're there”, I replied shyly, tugging at his sleeve. “Please.

The guy of now 18 years glanced around with a deep sigh. “I don't know how long you can stay, don't get your hopes up, okay? I can't pay your education-”

That's okay! I have...some friends who pay it for me. They promised”, I said as I felt my body tremble a little. “So, what do you say? I'll work as soon as possible to contribute something to your money too!”

Yongguk frowned. “How old are you, again?”

Eleven years old, why?”

You're so mature concerning money and all that stuff. What happened to your parents, that you are here at the orphanage? I'm curious now.”

I raised an eyebrow in return, all my self-confidence showing. “I'll tell you when I'm at your apartment.”

He sighed once more before putting out his hand, waiting for me to take it. “I like you, what's your name?”, he asked, but I didn't answer until we reached said apartment. It was really small, but that didn't mean anything to me anymore, as long as there was my big brother Yongguk with me.

 

It came the way it had to come: The Untouchables thought I would still play their game. I was kidnapped for the fourth time, but I had told Yongguk everything beforehand, hoping for his help and he really seemed to get my point. After all my families the one who had the least of all understood me.

The organization had grown. There were more and more men coming to the warehouse. “Come here and bring the money. 1000$ will be enough”, they said to him and it probably shouldn't have moved me that much. It was a well known procedure to me at that time, but the fact that Yongguk-hyung, the person who could somehow understand me, would have to pay for me was unbearable.

Please don't!”, I screamed over and over again. “Don't make him pay! I'll make up for this, but please don't take his money, he does not deserve this!”

But Yongguk-hyung came to the warehouse, just like all the other families had done it. He came with his hands held up high, staring at the Untouchables in disgust. “So you are those who hurt my little brother?”, he growled dangerously and the men glanced at each other. It was the first time he had called me “little brother” and an unknown warmth filled my chest.

Where's the money?”

I don't have the money you want.”

Then you want this kid to die?” One of the men held a knife against my throat and I lost it. The scar wasn't only on my upper body, but also in my mind. I was scared. Really scared.Whining.

You won't kill him – you still need him. Let him work for the debts. Blackmailing other people is not the most effective way, you know?”, Yongguk-hyung suggested, causing the guys to look at each other in confusion as he came closer to me. “He is ready to work as soon as he can. He will drop out of school, minimizing what he costs, and work to repay the debts. But let him go for now. A life that is spent in fear is something nobody deserves, got it?”

What do you know, shut up you-”

No, wait”, the oldest man, the one I knew since the beginning, said and stopped one of the newbies with that. “Why not? We'll have you pay a certain amount every month and if you can't afford it, we'll look for you and make sure you won't forget it the next time.” An evil smile appeared on his face as he touched my belly where the scar was and my breath quickened. “Got it?”

G-Got it. Sure. I...yes, sir!”, I stuttered, making the whole warehouse laugh while I was set free. I had to give them my phone number so that they could reach me at any time. If I changed it, they warned me, I'd have to bear the same torture as if I had 'forgotten' to pay my monthly amount of the debts. I was scared once again, but this time, I got out of that warehouse with a new plan. Yongguk-hyung was by my side, smiling at me with all the warmth he could give and I was happy. He didn't leave me. He was there to help me. He was the only one who had ever really cared about me. I couldn't trust anyone else.

And that's where I am until now.

 

“You see, Yongguk-hyung really is a hero to me”, I explained as I felt tears in my eyes, but I forced them not to run down my face; successfully. I didn't cry. I was strong enough to face my past now. The kid was long gone.

“Why are you chased by them now?”, the girl asked and I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

“I couldn't pay last month's amount. And now they are searching for me to torture me, just like we have agreed on it seven years ago.” I swallowed, turning my whole body towards the girl to scan her reactions. “So? What do you think, now that you know everything?”

I felt the speed of my heartbeats increase as we stared at each other, waiting for something. Anything. After a few moments of silence, she finally spoke up. “You are one of the weirdest guys I've ever met.”

I frowned, caught off guard. What did she just say? Weird? She must have seen my confusion, because she cleared to explain it another way. “Weird in a sense of... different from what I know. And it's hard to imagine all that happened to you in the past years, in your childhood. Let me tell you this straight: I won't be able to understand what you really feel about all that; the despair, the hope, the faith in a good end. I don't know much about those things.”

I lowered my shoulders slowly. She said she didn't understand. How could she? She was a rich girl that didn't know anything. What did you think when you told her everything?! Are you an idiot? Why did you tell her-

“But I want to understand it.”

 

 

 

Soora's POV

 

“What?”, Zelo breathed into the silent room as I stared him down. I had listened to the whole story, from the beginning to the end, and I didn't know what all that despair felt like. I simply didn't and I knew it. But...

“I won't say: 'Oh I'm sorry for you', or 'things will get better, don't worry', because they won't. It's just like what you did when I told you about my Mom: I can listen, I can try to understand it and I'll be there for you if you want me to.” Zelo couldn't keep his mouth shut, his jaw dropping open a little as I said that. It had been a hard time for him. It had been a struggle, his whole life, and I felt like he didn't deserve it. Seeing him here with the kids showed me what kind of person he could have become if there wasn't all that fear in this world. That scar he had shown me. But Yongguk managed to get him out of that, even though it was just a little bit. Now it was my turn to help.

“You want to...what?” Didn't he get it? I thought that's what he wanted...

“I'm going to show you that I'm not like all those families who abandoned you. So long as you want me to. Do you want me to be there for you?”, I expressed my point more clearly and he stared at me for a few more seconds.

There has to be a lot going on in his head. He found the courage to tell me all this and now he has to deal with this reaction... I just want to help him, knowing what a hard time he had in the past. No matter how much of an idiot he is, I can't let him suffer on his own. I took his healthy hand in mine with an encouraging smile and he came back into reality with a sniffle, his lower lip twitching as if he was about to cry after all, but he bit it in order to calm down. “I can be there”, I emphasized with another smile and a single tear escaped his left eye, but there were two or three more to follow until they created a tiny stream down his face.

“Thank you.” That was all he managed to breathe as his grasp around my hand tightened a little and he wiped away the tears in sudden realization. He looked embarrassed, but I decided that this was not the time to be enemies, but the time to show weakness like I had two days ago and hugged him as tight as I could, making him sob silently. All the tension was gone and he could talk freely about everything, I guess that's why he was crying after the story and not while telling it. “Thank you so much.”

I patted his back like Jongup or Daehyun did when I was crying and it seemed to help. Zelo calmed down a few moments later, resting his head on my shoulder without any power left and a few more sobs escaped his lips. I kept patting his back and waited for him to calm down completely, until I noticed his consistent breathing with a bit of surprise. He had fallen asleep in a few minutes of silence. “He must have been really worn out”, I mumbled as I tried to lie him down on the bed without waking him up. After successfully completing the mission, I examined his child-like facial features, smiling to myself.

 

“I'll take this reaction as a yes.”

 

 

 


 

Sorry, this one's reeeaaaally long, but I didn't want to make you wait even longer xD

Poor Zelo-honey ;^; Let me comfort you, why am I doing this to you? D:

But whether you liked it or not: Comments are appreciated <3 (Upvotes are, too °^°")