Fine with me

Learn to love again

 

 

“Why exactly are we doing this?”, Zelo asked without any motivation as I sat down on my seat next to Jongmin.

“It's nice there, you'll see. Stop nagging and be quiet”, Jongup growled, which earned him a glare of Zelo.

“I doubt it”, Sohee added, her arms crossed. “I couldn't even bring along all the clothes I wanted to wear.”

“It's one week-end, you won't need that much. Two outfits will be enough. And why did you come with us in the first place?”, Daehyun, who was sitting between them, mumbled with a shrug and I sighed.

You agreed on coming with me!”, I made clear. “Except for Zelo, but that's another story; and now step on it, Jongmin, let's show them what work means!” Jongmin rolled with his eyes, but an amused smile played around his lips, which is why I assumed that he was actually having fun.

But I bet you're wondering what we were doing, right? Listen, I'll tell you:

It was the week-end after the one where we had visited Yongguk. The whole week had been pretty quiet, because Zelo didn't go out, idling the days away with his laptop and I was busy doing homework. At the times I wasn't, I was out with Jongup or Daehyun to eat ice cream, or I went shopping with Sohee. I didn't get to see that guy called 'Sleepy' again, but maybe I shouldn't be too sad about that if he was actually as bad as Zelo had said. That's why the week-end would finally bring some action into my week! And no, I wouldn't go bungee jumping, it was less action-packed.

My grandparents, the parents of my mother, owned a farm and they needed a lot of help during autumn, because there were many apples to pick. I did this every year, bringing Jongup along to help my grandpa, because he was getting older and slower. Dad had often said that it was nonsense to keep the farm, but my grandparents insisted on staying there, because of the memories and I could completely understand them. It was the house where my mother grew up after all.

But then again, why didn't I go alone?

Why should I? Jongup would come with me anyway, because it had been a tradition since we were kids. Zelo had to come along, because I wouldn't leave him alone at my house, plus the long distance would get him far away from the Untouchables, which was the main point why he was with us today. Daehyun wanted to come when I told him about it and I convinced Sohee, because I wanted her to see what a farmer's life was like; I don't know, I felt like she should experience it and I believed that she wasn't as much of a bad person as she pretended to be. The fact that she sat in our car underlined my theory. And everything would be much more fun with friends, right? Of course!

 

… I have to admit: the journey was long, everybody loud and the space in our lent mini-van not big enough for everyone's legs, especially not Zelo's. But Jongmin allowed us to listen to music as loud as possible which is why we started jamming to our favorite songs after some time and two hours flew by quickly as we drove to the plantation. We were just singing a song called 'Good Boy', when the well-known country house came in sight. “We're here!”, I announced loud enough to be heard by the others and we calmed down a little while Jongmin parked the car. Right after we had stepped out of the van, someone called my name and I looked up with a bright smile.

“Grandma!”, I shouted, running towards the old lady and we hugged each other tightly. “How are you? Is grandpa fine? You said that he's tuckered out quickly, is everything alright?”

Grandma laughed out loud and put it off with a wave of her hand. “That man is as tough as old boots, don't worry about him. The only thing that gives me headaches is that half of the apples will be foul by the time he wants to pick them!”

“Now, don't be like that, ahjumma!”, Jongup laughed as he walked up to us and was embraced too. “That's what we're here for.” His smile made him look like back when we were kids. Did you ever see Disney's 'Frozen'? That guy looks like Olaf when he smiles and it's so cute.

“Fine, I won't nag today”, grandma laughed and looked past the two of us to the van. “Well, well, who did you bring along, Soora?”

I waved the others closer and they bowed to my grandma with shy smiles on their faces. “This”, I pointed at Sohee “is my friend, Sohee. Right next to her, Dae-oppa. His name is Daehyun and I talked about him last year, you remember?”

“Ah, yes, the young man with the colorful hair. Dark-blue is not as extraordinary as pink, I think?”, grandma noticed and Daehyun's ears ran red as he sent me a 'Why-did-you-do-this'-glance. I heard someone chuckle and Dae's eyes were now glaring at Zelo, making me raise an eyebrow.

“You're not in the position to laugh, I have proof of your failure”, I stated while raising my phone and the stick-figure's eyes widened.

“Oh no, you didn't-”

“Grandma, that's Zelo, I'm sure he'll be a great help, because he's so tall. He's kind of my companion at the moment”, I interrupted Zelo and didn't fail to notice Sohee's and Daehyun's confused glances. I should be more careful when playing around with the pink evidence, I thought.

“That sounds great!”, grandma exclaimed and turned to go back into the house. “Then get your stuff out of the car and bring it inside. Soon-Jae can't wait to see you again.”

We did as she said and I was just carrying my bag while Sohee struggled with her giant suitcase. Who would bring a whole suitcase for two nights? But well, at least I had another girl with me, that was a first! “Your grandma is quite nice”, Daehyun mumbled to my right and I nodded.

“Just wait until you see how she shellacs my grandpa, you'll change your mind, I'm sure”, I laughed in reply, leaving him behind in surprise. When I turned to look back at him, he had decided to be a gentleman and helped Sohee with her suitcase.

I guess Daehyun is kind to anyone, no matter how much he dislikes a person, I thought with a smile. “Such a nice guy”, I mumbled before glancing at Zelo who was impassively taking a look around and Jongup lay an arm around my shoulders.

“Say, do you think she'll make something nice to eat out of some of the apples if we collect enough of them?”, he asked, his lips as he stared at the apple trees around us and I chuckled.

“You can try to negotiate as long as you show some fighting spirit”, I replied with a grin as Jongup jumped up with a squeak, running towards the house. It felt a little bit like a vacation, when the sun peeked through the blanket of clouds and I had to laugh out loud, earning a weird glance from Zelo. “What?”, I asked. “It's good to get out of the city, isn't it?”

Zelo blinked a few times before raising his head towards the sky. Wasn't there a smirk tugging at the corners of hi mouth? “It is....kind of. But why do we have to work?”, he nagged and I rolled with my eyes.

“Nothing comes from nothing and now stop complaining”, I ended the dialogue, entering the old house, my mother had lived in.

“I still didn't want to come here”, I could hear Zelo grumble as he came after me and I snickered. Such a kid.

“Soora? Is that you?”, a noisy voice came from the living room when I entered the house.

“Yes!”, I shouted back, throwing my bags into the room I usually slept in while following the voice. “Hi gramps”, I greeted the short man with brown skin that seemed leathery from the sun and embraced him. “Grandma said you're getting old”, I as I let go and he snorted with a crooked smile.

“We'll see that tomorrow when you have to start working. Make an image of your own and don't listen to what others say. Especially not that old lady”, he grinned and my heart filled with warmth. That was exactly the way they lived here and I was proud to be a part of this family. Dad's parents were boring.

“Sure, I didn't believe her anyway”, I replied with a wink just when grandma entered the room.

“I heard that”, she mentioned as the others came in. “Ah, sit down, sit down, it was a long journey, right? It's four in the afternoon already! Are you tired?”

I rolled with my eyes, knowing that this was probably a rhetorical question. “We were driving for two hours, it was okay-”

“Yes, it was so tiring!”, Sohee shouted and if it hadn't been her, I would have said that person exaggerated. I exchanged glances with grandma while Sohee threw herself on a chair that was standing nearby.

“I don't think you'll help us today, right?”, I asked with a raised eyebrow and my friend's eyes widened.

“You'll work today, too? Why are you so hyperactive...No I don't think I'll be able to help, maybe tomorrow.”

Grandma's eyes became slits and I smirked. Sohee would experience another kind of work instead of picking fruits. 3, 2, 1... “Then you'll help me in the kitchen, it won't be much, okay, sweetie? I need help to feed everybody anyway; Jongup and my husband are like wolves when they come back from work.”

“It's tiring!”, both men replied in unison and we laughed at their serious faces.

“Ahjumma?”, Daehyun asked, heaving his bag a bit higher. “Where do we put our stuff? It's better to start our work as long as it's bright outside, right?” I smiled at him and I'm sure he looked to the ground, biting his lip right after meeting my gaze.

“Oh, a worker, I like you already”, grandma fluted. “Just put them upstairs. Soora, I prepared the guest room for them. Your friend here” she pointed at Sohee “will sleep in your chamber, okay?” I nodded, signalizing everyone to come with me.

Daehyun let out a relieved sigh and walked right behind me, up the stairs. “Thank god I won't have to carry that suitcase up the stairs”, he whispered and I turned to look at him.

“Then don't offer any girl to carry her stuff, you'll end as a drone, I say. Do that only for the girl you like, but I think Sohee should carry her own stuff from time to time, you know?”

Daehyun blushed. “I don't like her, I just thought it would be better not to make her mood any worse...”

“I know”, I shrugged it off “I think I would have done the same. But she really looks good, doesn't she?”

“She insults me all the time, don't try to ship us. Plus, she's not the one I'm interested in.”

“Oh, there is someone?”, I asked, but was interrupted by Jongup's complaints.

“Why do I have to share a room with those two? It was fine to sleep in Soora's room until now...”

“What?!”, Daehyun exclaimed and Zelo, who had stayed silent until now looked at the shorter, purple-haired male in surprise.

Jongup was pouting and didn't say anything else, which is why their gazes wandered to me after a few seconds. “I-...We're not-... Ah, forget it, it's not worth the discussion. However, this is your room, I hope it's okay like that”, I tried to change the topic and Daehyun gave me a doubting glance before walking inside said room. I told you before, right? Guppie and I have been close friends ever since we were kids...it was normal to me...And very given to misunderstanding it seemed. “I'll see you downstairs in five minutes, okay? I'll show Sohee... our room.”

Thus, I left the boys, running down the stairs to find Sohee still sitting on her chair. “Okay, let's get you something appropriate to put on”, I stated, earning a shocked expression from her.

“What's wrong with my clothes? Is there a stain anywhere?!”

I shook my head. “Not yet, that's why I'll give you some of my stuff to wear. Just remember the last time you spilled your drink, I don't want to go through that again.” That had been a few weeks ago...and it was not funny. Neither for the kid that had accidentally run into her nor for me or the kid's mother. I decided to just move on after that.

“Oh...right. I didn't think of that”, Sohee agreed and it seemed like her snob-self was slowly being replaced by the normal girl she could be here. No expectations, no one she knew except for the boys and me. This week-end would be healthy for her and no matter how difficult it could be with her sometimes, I didn't want her to end like a female version of Jongin, who was an absolute snob. It didn't seem like that at first glance, but when you knew her a bit better, you could notice that she was actually just ruined by the values her mother taught her. A bit of country air would help her, it cured many things in my opinion.

“So, this is your room”, I stated as I arrived at the chamber. “We'll sleep in that bed together if you don't mind.” She looked at the double bed for a second before shrugging and throwing herself on it.

“Fine with me.” No complaints?

I raised an eyebrow in surprise, but didn't say anything else, because she would struggle enough to help grandma later. I just walked back into the living room instead, tying my hair up into a ponytail. The boys clomped down the stairs one after the other and I looked at them with my arms akimbo. “Ready to work?”, I asked with a smile and Jongup nodded, full of energy, whereas Zelo and Daehyun seemed to mentally brace themselves for whatever was coming.

“Then let's go harvest some apples!”

 

 


 

Time skip!

Don't hurt me, I didn't have any idea what to do between those chapters |D