Why should I?

Learn to love again

 

Meanwhile, Daehyun and Soora...

 

Soora's POV

 

“What if something serious happened? I didn't know there were murderers here! My poor Guppie, he will-”

“Calm down, Soora”, Daehyun interrupted my flow of words softly, carefully laying an arm around my shoulders. “I'm sure he's fine. Why would anyone murder him in the first place? You get the strangest ideas...”

“But I'm worried!”, I shouted back, unable to keep my voice down, and he flinched with a surprised expression. My tensed up shoulders lowered immediately. “Sorry, I didn't mean to shout at you...”

Daehyun smiled at me, having overcome his wonder. “It's fine, I guess I would be like that too if I was you... Is there some way to help you keep calm?” I shook my head while swallowing and he bit his lower lip, thinking of anything as he took a look around. “Ah, I know something!”

I blinked a few times and his reassuring smile didn't fade when he took a deep breath and started to hum a silent melody, forming words after some time. “Woo gimme gimme gimme your love~” I knew that song! It was my current favorite from GOT7's new album! Gimme! Had he remembered it, or was it coincidence? “Butagiya gimme gimme gimme your love. Ni sarangeul ijen naege jwo
naegedo gihoereul jwo jeba~l, babe.” I smiled at him and he winked back when I started to sing along with him. Being distracted, I managed to calm down a bit and looked through the rows of apple trees, searching for something purple. Nothing could be seen and I stopped walking.

Daehyun turned around, cocking his head to the side. “No need to be afraid, Jongup's a grown up man. He's fine, I'm sure.”

I took a deep breath. “Yeah, you're right...” A cold wind rushed past us and I shivered when the cold rain soaked my clothes even more.

“Are you cold?”, asked Daehyun and I nodded. I sneezed when suddenly, he lay his jacket on my shoulders as if it was a blanket. “Here, I hope it helps a bit”, he stated and I looked at him in surprise, wanting to object, but he raised his hand. “It's fine. If you get sick, your grandma will blame me anyway, right?” He chuckled a bit and I agreed after a moment of consideration. He was right, it came down to that.

“Thanks”, I whispered as we kept walking again. “But don't get sick yourself, please...” Daehyun did his best to distract me from my worry by singing a few of my favorite songs – that beautiful voice! – until my phone rang and I almost ripped it out of my pocket. “Found him, we'll be back in ten minutes”, was written there and a heavy weight was lifted from my shoulders. I looked at Daehyun. “Zelo found him”, I grinned and he smiled back.

“Good, then let's head back. To be honest, I don't want to stay out here any longer.” I nodded as we made our way back to the house and I was careful so that Daehyun's jacket wouldn't fall down or something like that. He was such a gentleman, I liked it. “When I saw Junior for the first time, I thought of that guy immediately”, Sohee's voice sounded in my head and I shot him a glance. There really is a similarity between Daehyun and Junior... I'm friends with an idol look-alike, I thought. I should brag about it on the internet! He was my personal, handsome, rainbow-hair friend!

I grinned silently and Daehyun frowned when he noticed it. “What's going on? Are you going mad? It's raining, don't smile”, he mumbled with a grin and I shook my head.

“I just like being around you, that's all”, I replied casually. “Thanks for searching for Jongup with me, it would have been boring without you.”

“Boring? You would have died from a heart-attack, because you were so scampered”, he retorted, causing me to nudge him in the side and stick out my tongue.

“Sure. Keep dreaming, Daehyun.” We started laughing and couldn't stop until we reached the house. Only a few minutes later, Zelo arrived, carrying Jongup on his back.

 

 

Zelo's POV

 

“Oh god, Jongup, what happened?!”, the girl exclaimed when she saw me with her beloved friend on my back.

I'm fine, thanks, how are you? “He's sleeping, be quiet”, I hissed and her eyes widened at my tone. Maybe a bit too harsh, I concluded, bringing my load to the sofa.

“Not on the sofa!”, her grandma shouted. “Bring him into the bathroom. You're both as dirty as a cat that rolled around in mud, don't you dare sitting down on my furniture.” The threat in her voice was real and I rolled with my eyes, carrying Jongup up the stairs as the girl was bustling around me without actually being helpful.

I brought him to the bathtub and observed his smudged features. I should at least try to remove the dirt, I thought, hunkering down and taking the shower head in my hand. “What are you doing?”, the girl asked next to me and I glanced up at her.

“He'll catch a cold if we leave him like that”, I explained and she nodded as she understood. I took his phone and the keys he had with him out of his pockets and the tap, letting the warm water flow over the smaller but older man's clothes while thinking of his story again. He knew what it was like to get beaten up, yet he was always facing the bright side of everything, it was confusing me. How could he do that? “Jongup is a nice guy”, I mumbled absentmindedly while bathing the grape-colored hair.

“He is”, the girl agreed, sitting down next to me and a strand of hair out of her unconscious friend's face. “But he doesn't completely believe it himself.”

“Huh?”

“Ah, nothing.”

I frowned for a second, but decided that it wasn't worth asking her about her point of view. I knew the story after all. Maybe he's like that, because of her. Jongup's eyelids fluttered open and his gaze searched us. “Zelo”, he mumbled and I nodded. “I'm still dizzy.”

And stupid”, I added, making him grin and I switched off the warm water. “Stay here, don't move, okay? You will have to rest for today, I guess.” I noticed how his eyes defocused and he closed them again. I'll take that as an okay. I stood up and stretched my back, turning to the girl as she followed me out of the bathroom. “He hurt his head, probably a concussion, we should get him to a hospital as soon as we get back tomorrow, but resting is the best thing to do for now.” She nodded and grinned.

“You seem to know the symptoms quite well?”

I rolled with my eyes and sighed. “That's what you get for bulldozing your way through life: You can recognize a concussion. Wow.”

“At least it's something positive”, she added and we walked downstairs where the others were. Rainbow-man glared at me for some reason and I raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything. “He'll be fine”, the girl stated and everybody relaxed a bit.

“It looks like the clouds will go away soon, too”, the girl's friend, I believe it was Sohee, said and I nodded.

“Then we'll go back to work as soon as it stops raining”, replied I, glancing at the bathroom door once more. We'd have to work a bit more now, since Jongup dropped out, but well, something to distract myself from thinking was always good. Recently, thinking was tiring.

“That's what I wanted to hear”, Soora's grandmother stated with a satisfied grin and I nodded back, a smirk playing around the corners of my mouth, but I was quick to erase it. You're letting your guard down, buddy. Big mistake. “Don't you want to change your clothes?”, she asked and I yawned, noticing that I was still wearing the dirty ones.

“Ah, sure. I'll be back in a few minutes”, I replied and walked up the stairs again after glancing at the girl once more. “Take good care of her?”, I mumbled silently while taking off my shirt and looking for a new one. “Why should I?” ...I wouldn't even stay at her place for a long time anymore, why should I? I've got my own problems, so why should I take care of someone else's? Right, why should I?

 

...Why?

 

 

Soora's POV

 

“He's rather the quiet type, huh?”, grandma asked, raising an eyebrow when Zelo walked up the stairs to get changed. When I glanced at her, I saw curl into a smile. “I like his attitude.”

I grinned. “I thought so.” I turned around to be confronted with a Daehyun that wasn't very happy. “Are...you alright?”, I asked carefully and Sohee nudged him with her elbow.

“Ah, yeah, sure. I'm fine”, he replied, shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts just when his stomach grumbled.

I punched his abdomen. “Hungry, aren't you? You jumped up to search for Jonguppie with me after all. Come on, let's get you some more food.” I just wanted to make him some bread with butter, but Sohee insisted on heating up the food she prepared earlier. She shot a glance at Daehyun and told him to wait a second before running into the kitchen and seemingly juggling with the dishes. Grandma's eyes met mine and she smirked as if she had noticed something I didn't, but I shrugged it off.

Daehyun placed his chin on my left shoulder and I flinched before allowing it. “What's wrong? You're so clingy lately.”

He mumbled something I couldn't understand before closing his eyes. “Just tired, that's all.”

That's when we heard the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs and Zelo stared at me with wide eyes. I cocked my head to the side with a questioning look on my face and Daehyun's hair tickled my left cheek, but Zelo just jumped down the last steps and grabbed my wrist to drag me along. Daehyun's head slid off my shoulder and he stumbled for a second, because of the unexpected movement. “Hey, what's wrong, Ze-”

“Go change, too”, he ordered as he pushed me into my room without looking at me. “You look horrible.” I could just stare at him as he pulled the door shut, but he didn't raise his gaze until the door was about to close. Still, that short moment was enough.

Anger. Why is he angry now? “Did I do something to upset him? I didn't cause any harm, right? That guy, seriously...”, I mumbled while taking off my sweatshirt and putting on some dry clothes before looking at myself in the mirror at the wall. My hair was curling a bit while drying, but it didn't look that horrible. What's with that guy, I thought while stepping out of my room to find Zelo leaning against the wall.

“Done?”, he asked and I nodded while tying my shoes. Zelo stood up straight and stretched his back. “Then let's go. The sooner we finish work, the better, right?”

I glanced at him in surprise. “But Daehyun is still eating...”

“It's not like it had anything to do with us”, the stick-figure mumbled.

“Fine”, said I before raising my voice. “Zelo and I will go back to work again. Later!”

“Alright, don't get lost!”, grandma shouted from the living room and I could almost hear Daehyun chew his food faster when we walked past the door.

Only a few seconds later, Zelo's body seemed to relax and he took a deep breath. I was kept off glancing at him by a sneeze, which is why he was looking at me instead. Wait, was that worry in his eyes? Don't make up things, Soora. “Guess I reacted too late, you caught a cold, huh?”, he asked softly and my eyes widened in sudden realization.

“You wanted to avoid that when telling me to change?” He lowered his gaze right away as if he was embarrassed, but I searched his eyes. “Am I right? Am I?”

“What do you know?”, he snapped, but placed a hand on my forehead, making me stop for a second. “At least you don't have a fever, that's good.” He walked on, leaving me in surprise until he noticed that I wasn't following anymore. “Or do you not feel well?”, he asked, furrowing his eyebrows and I grinned.

“You're surprising me all the time, you know?”

“You're not any different”, he mumbled in reply and I caught up with him when I noticed that we were heading towards the place I had been picking apples at before. “Mind if I keep you company? It's boring alone.”

My grin widened into a smile and I shook my head. “Not at all, be careful not to slip or anything, alright?” Zelo rolled with his eyes before going back to work as if nothing had happened before.

 

Knowing that Jongup was safe, we just kept working for a few more hours, listening to the music one of us was playing and we were joined by a kind of grumpy looking Daehyun about twenty minutes after we had started. I couldn't help but notice that Zelo's body tensed up a bit when my oppa was around. He's behaving strange lately, I thought, but do I even know how he's acting usually?

The sun started to set and we went back to the house, no more events here, but grandma was quite satisfied with our work even though one of us had dropped out earlier. Stomping up the stairs, I was wondering whether Jongup was alright and when I opened the door to the bathroom, it was empty. “Jonguppie?”, I asked and his voice answered me from the guest room so that I could find him easily. He was lying under a few blankets, his head resting on a small mountain of pillows that Sohee and grandma had built for him, and blinked at me with a smile. “Stop smiling and sleep”, I demanded, seemingly harsh, but I was actually glad he was fine on the inside.

Jongup pouted like a child. “I don't wanna. It's boring with you guys being outside...” The yawn he gave me afterwards was the only sign that he wasn't feeling well – Jongup was never tired – and I knelt down beside him, lovingly over his purple hair.

“Should I stay until you fall asleep?”, I whispered with a smile.

“I'm not tired”, Jongup retorted like a kid, but was interrupted by another yawn and closed his eyes so that he didn't have to see my satisfied smirk. I just sat there, running my hand through his hair and patting the blanket that was covering his body until his breathing pace calmed down and a peaceful grin showed on his face. Poor Uppie, I thought, he didn't deserve this, I should have taken care of him...

“So, he fell asleep again?”, a voice asked from the entrance and I raised my head to find Zelo standing in the door frame, scanning me to grasp the situation. I nodded and he sighed, stepping closer to us and sitting down on the other side of the pile of blankets Jongup was buried in. “Go eat, I'll watch over him. Everybody ate something already, so you shouldn't wait much longer. You're hungry, right?”

His sudden care confused me more and more, but I agreed and got up, leaving the two males in their room to fill my growling stomach with something nice. Daehyun and Sohee observed me as I got myself some rice and vegetables and sat down on the sofa next to him. “How's he doing?”, he asked.

I stuffed my mouth full, but that didn't keep me from talking. “He'll be fine, Zelo was right. A bit of rest will probably be enough.”

“That's good to hear”, Sohee replied with a sigh of relief and stood up, removing invisible dust from her (my) pants. “I'm going to bed, just so you know. See ya tomorrow!”

“Sleep well”, Daehyun and I answered in unison and exchanged glances with a smile as we noticed how we were in sync again. Sohee closed the door to our room and I let out a yawn. “She's so different here, why can't she be like that at school, too?”, Daehyun wondered, but I just stretched my back and let it creak. I was tired all of a sudden. Looks like it was a bit too much of a commotion today.

“It's the standards she's accustomed to. The country side is nice and refreshing, but she's attached to the city since she grew up there. Her image would be ruined.”

“Kch...image.” I yawned and leaned against his shoulder, eyes half-closed. Daehyun seemed surprised, but looked at me with soft eyes. “Hey, you should go to bed, too. If there's a problem with Jongup, I'll call you. There's no need to worry, okay?” I nodded with another yawn, unable to stay awake for much longer. My friend helped me get up and led me to my room so that I wouldn't fall asleep in the hallway. “You really need to sleep”, he chuckled as I almost ran into a wall instead of past the door.

“Fine...but you too”, I mumbled with a tired smile. “See you tomorrow then?”

“Yeah.” He gently pushed me into the room and waved at me before closing the door. “Sleep well, Soora.”

 


 

It's been a long time, BUT I managed to write my first two exams (out of 4) and they were way more easy than expected <3 I'm happy, so have this update in return (/o.o)/