Why is he so cold towards me?

Learn to love again

As soon as I had walked upstairs, I frowned for a moment. Wait, did Zelo just run away from those guys, dragging me along and didn't even tell me how I was supposed to deal with that? What should I do now that they had seen me? Was that a problem?

I took out my phone and opened 'LINE' to write him.

Stick-figure?

What is it?

Am I in danger after seeing your haunters?

 

If there hadn't been a whole floor between our rooms, I'd have bet that I heard him snort through the wall.

Just pretend you don't know me. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

 

I pouted and took a deep breath. Well, I guess he was right, it seemed to be the best way, but still...shouldn't I feel uneasy? What if they kidnapped me?

That's when I received another message from him, as if he had read my mind.

They don't even know your name, don't worry.

Okay, I'd try. But the next time I'm approached by those guys, I swear I'm going to kick them in the face, and make the police hunt them down. I didn't like them at all. But first: Let's try to get more personal information about Zelo:

Oh and: When is your birthday? They said it was soon, were they right?

It took him some time to answer, I could imagine his confused face and had to smile.

They were. October 15th

Oh, only one more month? Now that was really soon...Hm, whatever. His birthday wasn't of any use after all, I figured and I just threw my phone on my bed before turning on the computer.

 

 

I didn't think Zelo's strategy of ignoring his tails would work. But nothing strange occurred for the next three days. I went to school, spent the afternoons with Jongup, because I didn't have the motivation to deal with Zelo again and ate ice cream as usual. It was as if Zelo didn't really exist, we only met when having lunch or dinner. Why was that? I don't know, it just happened to be like that.

Still, my curiosity didn't cease. Not. At. All.

And on the third day, I decided to change my behavior, because I couldn't just sit there knowing that someone was in trouble. Even if it was Zelo. I decided to sneak in his history to get to know what all that chasing-stuff was about. To be honest, I felt bad at first, but when I met his cold gaze again, my decision was clear. “I'm going to shower”, he stated while running his hand through his hair and walked past me. That's my chance!

I could hear him lock the bathroom-door and peeked into the guestroom he was staying in. Please tell me he left it here, I prayed while scanning the chamber for the small device. There! There it was! Zelo's phone lay on the desk right beside his bandage and I decided to help him with the latter when he got back. But first, there was the phone.

I made the screen light up and it demanded a password. Four numbers... “Now be a good boy and choose your password the way everyone does”, I mumbled while typing in the date of his birthday. The information was useful after all. 1015 – wrong password. I bit my lower lip, but just typed in the date with the day first. 1510 – unlocked.

“Yes”, I hissed before making sure the shower was still in use. I sighed in relief when I heard the water running down the pipes through the walls and opened Zelo's contacts. There were quite a lot, but I was only interested in one name. One that was almost at the very bottom of the list. There. Yongguk-hyung. I couldn't suppress an evil smirk while showing the contact's details and copying his phone number. I'd just ask the person Zelo relied on the most to find out more about him.

That's when I noticed that there was no one showering anymore and I placed the phone the way it was again before rushing out of the room and sitting down on the sofa with my own mobile in my hand, pretending to be busy texting with Daehyun. Haha, I'm such a master, I thought in satisfaction while starting to type in the words that were meant to be sent to Yongguk.

Hello Yongguk. My name is Soora. This may look stalkerish right now, but I got your phone number from Zelo's phone. I am the person whose house he is staying at for the moment, but I don't really know anything about him. Could you tell me something? And please don't tell Zelo that I wrote you, he'd be mad.

It really did sound stalkerish... I bit my lower lip after sending the text. I was kind of scared Yongguk wouldn't answer or write Zelo right away, but my worries were unnecessary – at least I thought so.

I can't be sure you're saying the truth. I need an evidence that he's really with you.

As expected from the person that knew about his situation. I sighed. How am I supposed to make an evidence picture, I thought desperately when Zelo came back down the stairs. He glanced at me for a second and I flinched as I felt busted, but he just raised an eyebrow.

“What's with that reaction? Don't cringe whenever you see me, it's impolite”, Zelo grumbled and I was quick to hide my uncertainty from him.

“And what about you? Impolite seems to be your second name most of the time”, I retorted, making him snort as he walked towards his room, only to come back a few seconds later while biting his lower lip. “What is it?”, I asked and the corner of his mouth twitched, making me nervous. Had he found out about me stealing the phone number? Did I miss a clue I should have erased?

“Well...could you...help...me with the bandage again?”, he mumbled as silent as possible, but I understood and smiled, an idea forming in that brain of mine while I tried to suppress my relieved sigh.

“Sure”, I agreed and drew myself up as I saw how much of an effort it had been for him to just ask me. There had to be something big behind his behavior, it was as if he didn't know what care means... However, I followed him to his room and made him sit down on the bed with me to start bandaging his chest. “How's the pain?”, I asked while trying not to make the cloth too tight.

He turned his head to look at me for a second and I'm sure I could see his expression softening for a split second, but maybe I was just imagining it. “Getting better. But it won't really heal until the next two weeks passed, I guess. At least the doctor said so...” He looked down to his hands that were resting on his legs, obviously a little bit depressed about his state and I decided it was the right time to exert my plan, taking my phone out of my pocket.

“Zelo?” He hummed and raised his head, but didn't look at me and I put out my arm, the phone in my hand, and shouted: “Selca!” I was a little bit too slow, which is why I didn't catch his neutral, but a frowning expression on camera. Well, better than nothing and you could recognize him on the picture. But my face is only half-visible...it's okay, this one's about Zelo anyway, I thought while putting the phone away again.

He glared at me right away and I replied with a smile. “What was that for?!”, he snarled, forming a small pout like a child would do it, but I just laughed.

“It's cheering people up sometimes. Whenever Jongup-oppa or Daehyun-oppa are down, this helps them cheer up again. I thought it would help this time too!”, I explained even though I seemed like he was angry, because Zelo just snorted and hit me lightly before letting me continue bandaging him. If it wasn't for the mirror on the wall, I would have missed the slight smile that played around the corners of his mouth. But there was a mirror and I continued my work with a grin plastered all over my face.

Not only that I now had a proof shot for Yongguk, but I also made Zelo smile. That boy was growing dear to my heart, no matter how much of a brat he was. I just felt like I was dealing with a little kid of ten years or something like that and that was really fun.

“Alright, finished. Dinner's around 7.30pm today, Hye-sun has an appointment with the doctor today and she'll get here a little later, just so you know. See you then”, I said while fixing the bandage and left without waiting for him to reply. I noticed his gaze though – he was looking at me, but whether he was annoyed or happy, I couldn't tell during that short moment.

As soon as I got upstairs, I almost threw away my phone, taking it out of my pants, because I was too excited to see what Yongguk's reaction would be. Would he tell me something? Please, please, please! Send” “Alright, now don't fail me, Mr. Yongguk”, I mumbled while staring at the phone.

And, as if he had waited for it, he replied after about...10 seconds.

Okay, I'll believe you for now.

But I don't know what I'll tell you cuz' I'm still mistrusting.

I let out a short squeak of happiness and rolled over, lying prone now. Well...mistrust would make this more difficult, but-

Sorry for not completely trusting you.

-he didn't seem to be that much of a cold person at all. Just caring. Which is why I understood Zelo's behavior even less. Wasn't Yongguk his “big brother”? And aren't big brothers meant to be a role model for you? But, well, I had found someone who was willing to tell me something about the stick-figure and that was better than nothing, right?

No problem, Zelo's being chased after all. I understand.”

Maybe I could get him with that one. It was quite possible that Yongguk thought I didn't know about Zelo's situation... I really didn't, but I knew more than he thought I did...uh, yeah, kind of difficult to explain.

You know about that?

That was my desired reaction. Okay, this was going to take some time to explain... Before replying, I made sure Zelo wouldn't be coming in for the next few minutes, but I didn't have to fear anything. It's not like he enjoyed being around me or something like that.

I started writing Yongguk, how I had met the stick-figure, repeating quite often that I didn't want Zelo to know about me writing with his hyung, and concluded with the chase from three days ago.

That's pretty much it for now. He won't tell me anything else though...

I don't expect you to tell me the story of his life, I want him to tell me about it, but could you just answer one question for now?

Okay, it seems like it's good he's with you. Don't let him get into trouble.

Maybe. What is it?

Why is he so cold towards me?

Okay, I had confused him. He wasn't replying for the next few minutes and my desperation grew with every second that passed by.

I think I know what you mean, but I can't answer this question for now, sorry.

I ran my fingers through my hair. “I feel like we need a deal”, I mumbled while typing in the next message. “How about this: I'll tell you what Zelo is doing every day, as far as I get to know about it, but I want you to answer this question in return. Please, it's important for me...”

He thought about it for some time before replying.

I'm worried about Zelo... Alright, let's do it that way... I won't tell you what exactly happened, so don't be disappointed if my answer doesn't satisfy you, okay?

I sent a quick: “Okay” to him and stared at the screen until my eyes began to hurt. I saw that he was typing, but he erased it every once in a while, making me furious. Pling! Finally!!

Zelo experienced many betrayals in the past. He is very sensitive when it comes to trust, you know? It has got to do with his family, but that's something only Zelo is allowed to tell other people. This sounds so vague right now, but I'm sure you'll get to understand it as long as you live with him under the same roof. Please take care of him, no matter how cold he might seem and you'll be rewarded with answers. Can you do that?

That didn't answer my question yet, but I got another step closer to the truth. “I will try to. Thanks, sleep well.Many betrayals and something about his family, huh? That was the moment, I promised myself that I would crack my stick-figure's mask. And I wouldn't give up, no matter what, because it looked like it was something very serious.

But for the time being, I figured that he wouldn't talk to me after I had almost made him smile for real, because he'd be trying to rebuild the cold wall and I didn't really have the motivation to deal with that pouting kid right now. But what should I do instead?

Let's ask the oracle! I rolled over, opening Daehyun's messages. “Oppa~ Where are you? What are you doing? :D”, I wrote and didn't have to wait long to get his reply.

At the shop, cleaning up to close it later on. I have to go for a walk with Mocha too. Why? ;)

I'm sooo boooored~” Daehyun always knew what to do to amuse me and I didn't doubt he'd manage to do it this time too. 3,2,1...Rrring, my phone rang. “Yes?”, I answered the call right away.

“Are you that bored? You're rarely picking up any calls!”, I could hear him chuckle at the other end of the line and I automatically had to smile. His voice had a mocking undertone, but was as kind and warm as always at the same time. I have to admit, I liked that voice so much.

“Well, I don't have anything to do heeere~”, I whined playfully, a smirk playing around the corners of my lips.

“What about Zelo? Why don't you go play with him?”

I decided to talk in a sulking way. “Zelo is no fun at all...and I don't have a book anymore. What should I do? You always know what to do!”

Daehyun seemed a little bit helpless on the other end of the line before having an idea, exhaling loudly. “How about coming along with Mocha and me? We pass by your house anyway.”

I glanced at my watch. 5.30pm. There was still plenty of time to go out before dinner, so, why not? “If you pass by anyway, I'd love to. When are you around?”

Daehyun let out a short sound of happiness. It was happiness, right? “It will take us half an hour until I finished cleaning up and walked up to your house so let's say 6pm, okay?”

I nodded before realizing that he couldn't see me and hurried up to agree. “Alright, see you then, bye bye~”

I hadn't had time to talk with Daehyun alone for weeks and I was happy to finally hear about his family again, because they were all such nice and kind people, just like Daehyun himself.

He was such a faithful friend to me, no matter what had happened.

 

 


 

Finally the next chapter. I'm so sorry, I don't have the time to write a lot and I've got no chapters in advance anymore, because there are many exams coming up now and...argh, I'm so sorry for not updating that much ;_; Forgive me! *bows*

You may get some Daehyun in the next chapter, Zelo needs his time :P