It's Zero

Learn to love again

It was dark. So dark.

I ran towards the boy I could see somewhere far away. There was nothing around me but the figure of someone in front of me. I ran without ever getting tired, but it didn't look like I was getting any closer to the dark-haired person. I knew it was Daehyun, I had to get to him somehow, but how? I then decided to call his name and opened my mouth. “Junhong!” I stopped with a frown. Why did I call him Junhong? This was Daehyun, not Zelo. I tried once more. Daehyun? “Junhong?” My frown deepened and as the person turned around, my eyes widened. It wasn't Daehyun anymore, it really was Junhong. I ran towards him again and this time, I reached him within a few seconds. “Junhong, where did Daehyun go?”, I asked in panic, still wondering what had happened and my opponent looked at me in confusion as he took my hand.

Who is that? It's always been only me here.”

Y-you?” He nodded and I lowered my gaze to our hands. “Don't let go. I have to find Dae-...uhm...I have to tell....What was his name again?” The name slipped through my fingers like sand and I was confused. I had known that name only a few seconds ago, right? “I forgot something important”, I told Junhong and he cocked his head to the side as I took his other hand, too. “But you'll stay with me forever, right Junhgong? So that I won't forget you?”

He breathed in with an apologetic glint in his eyes. “I'm afraid I can't stay. Nothing lasts forever.” I felt the invisible ground crumble and suddenly, I fell while Junhong remained where he was. Before I could do anything, my senses seeped away and I flinched, trying to move somehow.

That's when I realized it was a dream. Nothing but a wicked and confusing nightmare and I tried to calm my breathing, tried to wake up. What was this dream about?

I felt my fingers twitch and my eyes fluttered open. I couldn't move my arms, but I felt that I was sitting on some kind of metal chair. I was tied to it. Where am I? I tried to remember what had happened just before that weird dream occurred. That's when it all came back. Sohee with me on the roof. Me introducing Himchan to- I stopped for a second. Daehyun. My eyes widened and I turned my head a bit. I had forgotten about him in my dream. He had left. I had run to Junhong, but then, suddenly, everything had gone black. All I could remember was that rough voice wishing me sweet dreams before I fell asleep. I had probably been kidnapped, but why?

The ground my chair was standing on was some kind of concrete like you'd see it in an old storehouse and there were a few containers right behind me, which made me assume that it actually was a storehouse. Only a few meters away, there was a door-like entrance through which a weird red light fell into the room. A small lamp to my right shed some light on my surroundings, but it was flickering. The overall image looked like hell to me. Where is this?

I then heard the sounds of feet shuffling across the ground and I lowered my head again, when suddenly, a pair of shoes appeared in my field of vision. Maybe he doesn't notice I'm awake and- “Oh, guys, she's awake!”, he exclaimed in excitement. Well, that didn't work, I thought and dared to look up, trying not to tremble. There was a boy with brown hair showing me a crooked grin before glancing at the door as two other guys entered the room.

“Now look at that little princess sitting on her throne”, one of them said with a wicked look in his eyes that were almost covered by his fiery red hair. The lighter in his hand clicked open, revealed a small red flame and closed again. “She looks just so pretty, glaring at us like that.” Open, close. His smirk was replaced by an expression of digust. “I hate her.”

“I told you, didn't I?”, the second male replied and my eyebrow twitched as I directed my gaze towards him. The voice was known to me. “I knew your reaction would be like this, Suga”, he continued, his smile never fading. Was it really him?

“Yah, watch your mouth, I'm your hyung”, the red-haired one, Suga, snarled, letting the flame of his lighter show once more.

“I'm still in the same position as you, so, I don't care”, the black-haired retorted and there was no doubt anymore – he was a senior at school. At my school.

“Hoseok, why am I here?”, I asked and he eyed me in disgust.

“It's J-Hope as long as I'm within these walls.” His voice sounded dangerous, like a wolf's growl and he glanced at the brown-haired boy. “Go get the boss.”

The boy did as he was told and I swallowed. “What's this about? Hoseok, if this is some kind of weird joke, it's not funny”, I wanted to know, my heartbeat quickening with every second as I tried to maintain my fierce stare. Hoseok, no, J-Hope just shrugged, not wanting to answer me as Suga stepped closer.

“Look at that sincerity”, he purred, squatting down in front of me and grabbing my hair to make me face him. “The will to fight. I can't stand this pretty face.” His lighter clicked again and he held it dangerously close to my face as I watched the flame dance with big eyes. He wouldn't burn me alive, would he? “That's better, show me your fear”, he hissed and I swallowed.

“Enough.” Suga let out a sound of disappointment as he turned to look at J-Hope who was casually leaning against the wall and I breathed out in relief as the flame disappeared. “Boss wanted her without a scratch. It was hard enough to find her, let her live. For now that is.”

Suga hissed. “Good thing Jae found out about her, huh?”

“Why am I here?!”, I shouted again, unable to suppress the slight trembling in my voice any longer.

“You should know by now, young lady”, a new voice could be heard and my breath hitched as its owner came into the room and the other guys obediently retreated to the corners of the room. Sleepy, followed by another guy. Of course. It's the Untouchables.

I tried to calm my rattling breaths by swallowing again. I was probably here because of Junhong. Maybe because of my father's company. Maybe both. “Who are you?”, I asked sheepishly. Sleepy observed me with a raised eyebrow.

“My lady, if you didn't know about us, you wouldn't be here.” There was this glint behind his eyes, the eyes of a predator. “That camera-thing the other day was good acting by the way, I'd almost believed you.”

I swallowed again. He remembered me. I cocked my head to the side. “What camera-thing?”, I asked with a frown before raising my eyebrows. “Oh, my project from two weeks ago. Were you a part of that too? I don't seem to remember, I photographed many people, I hope you understand that...” He snorted and that's when I knew that he knew I was lying.

“You're quite interesting, little lady”, he uttered, crossing his arms in front of his chest. “It would all have remained a secret if Jae hadn't told us, you know? But we always get what we want, you should know that.”

Who is that Jae? “What are you even talking about?”, I asked courageously, checking if there was really no way for me to escape my handcuffs. There was none. The person who had accompanied Sleepy spoke up.

“Zelo has been running from us for too long. It's time to bring him back to where he belongs, don't you think?” The blood in my veins ran cold and I my lips. It was about Junhong.

“What do I have to do with that Zelo?”, I tried lying once again and the guy's eyes turned cold. He took a step towards me, but Sleepy stopped him with a sign of his hand, slightly shaking his head.

“Stop, Action, let me handle her.” Action? Wasn't that the other half of the leading duo? Oh great, no wonder the other guys were so obedient. “Who are you kidding, lady? We know it. All of it. What you've been doing. Who you've been hiding from us.”

“I'm not your lady, bastard”, I hissed. Alright, the innocent-lamb-technique wouldn't work here. “Fine. You want Junhong? Well, too bad, he left two weeks ago, he could be anywhere.”

The Untouchables' leaders grinned. “That's why we kidnapped you.”

“There's no logic to that statement.”

“There is”, Sleepy corrected me with a knowing look in his eyes as he turned towards the small lamp that was standing on a container next to him as if it was more interesting than me. It flickered a few times. “I've seen enough, I know how to make people do as I say. I practically own the underground, did you know that?” He glanced at me. “And if I say that we can capture your Junhong by keeping you here, then it will be that way.”

“Great, so you're telling me I'm a bait”, I concluded between two deep breaths and Sleepy scowled.

Bait is such a negative word. I'd rather use the word leverage.”

“That's still negative, you know?” I was proud of myself for keeping calm at that time. The aura Sleepy was giving off crept me out and gave me goosebumps, but that aside, I remained quite cool.

“Whatever”, Sleepy muttered with boredom in his voice. “I'm not here to discuss with you.”

I was running out of things I could say, which is why I just asked him what was actually bothering me. “How much does Junhong owe you? I can pay it.”

The Action didn't bother concealing his laughter and Sleepy chuckled a little. “How much? You want to pay for him? You're serious?” I nodded with big eyes. Would it be this easy to help him? Sleepy was still smiling and observing my face as he shook his head. “You can't pay it.”

“My father can. I suppose you know him?”

The leaders glanced at each other before the Action answered. “Yeah, we do. But you still can't pay it.”

“Why not?!”, I shouted, some strands of hair falling into my face. “As long as you get the money back it's fine and you can leave Junhong alone, right?”

Sleepy remained quiet for a few seconds, observing my every move. “Your reaction is good. I'm sure Zelo will come here. He's too soft to let you rot in here.” I didn't conceal my feelings anymore, neither the fear nor the wrath that was bubbling inside of me. “Love can make you so vulnerable, don't you think?” Love. My breath hitched and I hissed, averting my gaze.

My voice wasn't more than a whisper and I knew my defense had been broken through. “I just want to help him.”

“Aw, now look at that”, Sleepy teased me, looking at the other Untouchables in satisfaction. “Well, since you're so desperate to pay the amount I'll tell you something. But only this once.” He came closer and closer, bent down until his hot breath my ear and I tried not to shiver as his voice whispered the answer, listening intensely.

“It's Zero.”

It took me a moment to process it. I was confused. “Zero?”, I breathed, just to make sure I hadn't misheard anything and Sleepy his lips with a nod.

“You know, actually, his father's debts were payed off when he was fourteen. But he was such a reliable source when it came to money, it was so much fun to play with him. And that idiot, Bang Yongguk, too. Too bad, they would have made great gang members if they had kept this up.” I was disgusted. Grossed out, because I got what he was saying. I couldn't pay it, because there was nothing to pay.

All this time, Junhong had been fighting for nothing. There were no debts. He had been used. And now he'd be thrown away. “You're a horrible person. I despise you”, I managed to spit out, trying not to cry as I recalled the way he had told me his story. The pain and all the frustration Junhong had experienced because of this stupid organization. It was all their fault. “How can you be so cruel?” The fault of liars. That one man's fault!

“Ouch, that hurt. Life's a game of give and take, you know?”, Sleepy said theatrically, wiping away an imaginary tear and I tried to kick him with my foot, but he just took a step back to be out of my reach. I wanted to punch that disgusting smile off of his face. “I see you don't want to talk right now. Well, you'll have plenty of time to think about your options here, I don't care.” He sounded like a teacher scolding his student as he turned towards the door. “Jae!” Sleepy snapped his fingers once and everybody left the room, leaving me alone with the two leaders. Then, someone's footsteps came closer and I was wondering who it might be.

Hoseok? That mad Suga-guy? The brown-haired one from before? Who was that Jae? When the person came in, I wished it was just a bad nightmare. A really bad and realistic nightmare. “You called me?”

Action glanced at him before pointing at me. “Watch her! Make sure she doesn't do anything stupid.” I couldn't believe it.

“You said you're with the police”, I breathed, unable to speak up. “You said you had passed their exams.”

The newly arrived person hesitated for a second before glancing at Sleepy and Action; smirking as he threw the apple he had in one hand up and caught it again. “And you believed me?” He raised an eyebrow, shooting his boss another glance. “She believed me?”

Sleepy lay a hand on his shoulder. “Looks like she isn't as smart as you assumed after all. Don't injure her pretty face, I want to do that later. I...don't care about the rest though”, he stated with a grin before they left, leaving me alone with him.

My breath hitched once more as he spoke up again, his voice sounding as polite as always. “Hello, Soora.” He took a step towards me, throwing and catching the apple again, but I screamed at him.

“Stop!”, I shouted. “Don't come closer! I trusted you!”

“A horrible idea, you know?”, he replied coldly and I swallowed. Standing in front of me was Yoo Youngjae. The Youngjae I had been talking to only three days ago. The Youngjae that was Daehyun's best friend.

And he was an Untouchable.

 


 

Oh , two plottwists in one chapter?! o3o"

First Zelo isn't even indebted anymore and then there's Youngjae?!!  I can't believe it myself! °^°"

Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter, though it might be a little too much at once.

BTS cameo, yay \°^°/