JunJun

Learn to love again

Love for this hair! ^


 

“JunJun never told us he had a girlfriend”, the boy stated, yawning once more before signalizing me to come with him. “Come, I'll show you where he is, but he's reading right now so don't disturb him please.” That kid was talking like that house's secretary, what the hell?

“W-Wait a moment!”, I exclaimed just to be confronted with the glare of the boy who laid a finger over his lips. “Alright, understood”, I mumbled before following him into a big and spacy room. Someone was reading to a bunch of maybe 20 children. Okay, calm down, Soora. You'll just say that...JunJun is not the person you search and then you can go- Wait.

The little boy stopped and pointed at the person reading to the other children that was almost buried under them as they all wanted to hug him, sleep on his lap or read along. If it wasn't for his voice, I wouldn't have noticed. “That's JunJun”, the boy whispered so that the reader wouldn't be disturbed.

No, little boy, that's not JunJun, I thought as my jaw dropped open.

I couldn't move. Wait, let me gather the information I received in the last two minutes: There was an orphanage with a cute little, kind of creepy ten-year old who thought of himself as responsible for the whole house. There was someone reading to those kids every Friday afternoon.

And that “someone” was Zelo.

How did that make sense? I mean...Zelo?! I wanted to make a step towards him to make sure it really was him who was being buried under those kids, but my little secretary friend grabbed me by the wrist to stop me, shaking his head. Okay, fine, let's play along. You don't even know what's going on so just stay quiet and watch, Soora, I tried to restrain myself, leaning on the door's frame to listen to the story.

The minutes passed, but I didn't feel them as minutes. Zelo was good at reading stories, he really was. Every character had its own voice, he even did his best to imitate various girls throughout the story, but his voice just didn't work that way I guess. The kids started chuckling as soon as a girl talked in the story.

It was some kind of fantasy-adventure and I guessed that he was reading one or two chapters each time he visited, because the book was too thick to read it in one go. I couldn't believe my eyes nor could I believe what I heard. The story was alive. I could imagine the dragons, the elves and the dwarfs talking to each other, fighting the evil demons to save their precious princess. I was part of that universe.

There was another thing mesmerizing me: Zelo was smiling the whole time. My cold-hearted stick-figure was smiling. He looked just so cute when he did, I wanted to hug him right away-

NO, wait, it's still Zelo I'm talking about, right? That's just impossible. I mustn't start liking this guy because of one thing. Even the tiniest bit of sympathy was something I couldn't accept, because he hated me anyway, right?

Right?!

Oh come on, give me a break!

However, Zelo ended the chapter, clapping the book shut and looking at the pile of children around him with a smirk. “And the rest, I'll read it to you later”, he stated, making most of the kids jerk in dissatisfaction.

A little girl that was clinging to his shirt started pouting. “But JunJun-oppa! How can you leave it the way it is right now!?”

“Right!”, a boy exclaimed, jumping on Zelo. “Come on, read the rest!” The stick-figure let out a sound of pain as the kid landed on his chest before laughing out loud. Not only that he could smile honestly, but he was able to laugh too? I felt my heart warming up a little bit at the sight of Zelo with the lot of children.

“Stop it!”, he shouted when all the other kids joined the girl and her companion in the battle against the giant. “Seriously, I can't breathe!”

I glanced at the secretary-boy to my right who was watching with a frown, unsure whether he should fight for “JunJun” or his contemporaries. Against my assumption, he took Zelo's side. “Now stop! How can he read when you choke him, huh!?”, he yelled with all his might, making the children stop for a split second before continuing to tie the tall guy under them to one of the beds. The secretary-boy sighed and looked at me for what felt like the umpteenth time already. In his eyes I could see an unspoken plea.

Fine, I'd help then. I hated those puppy eyes, really. I sighed while pushing my body off the doorframe and grabbing two of the children by their collars to get a better view of Zelo. “No wonder your rib doesn't heal”, I just stated loud enough for all the screaming kids to hear while raising an eyebrow at the confused Zelo whose eyes widened in realization when he recognized me.

“Oh sh- Wh-What are you...How have you...When did you...?”, he stuttered, catching for breath and clutching at his chest where I expected him to feel pain.

“No need to answer those questions now”, I replied coldly before placing the children on the ground again. “Stop damaging yourself more than necessary please.”

He really hadn't expected me to find him here, because he still didn't manage to form a proper sentence, giving the children time to stare at me until they found the courage to ask the unspoken question. “JunJun, who is she?”, one of the boys, maybe eleven years old, uttered with a deep frown on his face.

The girl that had wanted him to continue reading earlier glanced around between Zelo and myself. “Is she your girlfriend?”, she asked just to be punched by another boy.

“No way! Girfriends are disgusting!”, he exclaimed, but another, more shy girl raised her finger.

“I think it's cute...”

Okay, I got why Zelo had grinned all along. Those kids were too adorable to be cold towards them, I just had to smile brightly when the boys started arguing with the girls about whether it was disgusting to be in love or not. When did I think about something like that the last time? Probably in elementary school. Oh my, it was really too cute to just listen to them. I distracted myself by looking at Zelo once more who still hadn't fully recovered.

“Your voice isn't fit to dub that book's girls, I swear”, I mumbled with a crooked smirk as I sat down in front of him cross-legged.

He snorted, avoiding my gaze as much as possible. “Then I want you to dub the boys once. They'd all sound gay, just you wait”, he responded, definitely not satisfied with his situation. “How did you find me?”

I chuckled silently at his behavior while trying to find out why he was here on the inside. Damn, in the end, Yongguk only made an even bigger mystery out of this boy! “I'm a stalker, didn't you know?” Zelo's head raised, a disturbed expression on his face and I punched him lightly. “Joking you idiot. I just wanted to know what you are doing when you're not at home. Now don't make that face-”

“That's exactly what a stalker is, you know? Stop doing this, I can't take it, girl”, Zelo interrupted me all of a sudden with a bitter voice, standing up and leaving the room with a cold look in his eyes.

 

 

Zelo's POV

 

This couldn't be real, right? After keeping this place hidden from the men chasing me, that stupid girl was the first one besides Yongguk to find out about it? I wanted to be swallowed by the ground at that moment. I just wanted this all to end.

The orphanage was my haven.

A place where I was who I wanted to be, which is why the children respected me. “Why is she here?”, I whispered, my voice cracking as I left for another room. Get away, get away. “Why is that girl here?” There, the room I once considered my own. It was gray and not very big, but there were memories in the air. I punched the wall as hard as I could just to sink down on my bed with a sound of pain a moment later. “Why is it you?!”, I shouted and I was sure she could hear my desperate voice downstairs. I was panting. Why was I? Every time I took a breath, it was as if I was yanked back into the past.

 

Junhong, look, there is someone who likes you!”

The woman showed me a couple that got closer step by step. “They don't like me. How could they possibly like someone they don't know?”

Now don't be like that, show them a smile!”

I knew how much she tried to help me, but I didn't want to leave in the first place. I was safe here, why should I go? Why did everybody try to get rid of me?! “Smiling is worth nothing. Smiling doesn't save you when you're in danger.”

Is he a pessimist?”, the couple's woman asked in worry, but the other woman was quick to deny it.

No no, he just can't get over the loss of his parents, that's all.”

 

The loss of my parents, my . What parents? I didn't have any.

 

 

 

Soora's POV

 

 

Meanwhile, the kids had finally managed to calm down, inspecting my face carefully. The girl from before swallowed before taking a step closer to me and I smiled to encourage her. “Who are you that you know JunJun?”, she asked shyly while sitting down in front of me and the other children followed her lead, sliding closer to me after some time.

I sighed. “Your JunJun is currently staying at my house. I was worried where he was going every day, which is why I tried to find out more about it. And now I'm here, that's all.”

The girl nodded as if she'd understand when suddenly, a muffled scream came from upstairs. “Why is it you?!”, I heard Zelo's voice and jerked a little before taking a deep breath. The girl glanced at me. “You're not a couple?”, she asked making me laugh hysterically.

“Oh please, there's no way I'd every fall in love with that guy. He hates me and I hate him, I swear!”, I exclaimed, putting a hand on my chest where my heart was beating. I tried to change the topic, raising an eyebrow at the kids. “But say: Why is he coming here?”

My female dialogue partner answered again with a shrug. “He has spent his childhood here. At least that's what the women who take care of us say. JunJun reads to us every Friday and we look forward to it the whole week.” A little light sparkled in her eyes when she talked about his story-telling, but I was interested in something else.

“Where are these women right now? I didn't see someone older than Ze- euh, JunJun around here.”

Another boy answered this time. The secretary, of course. “They are shopping for groceries right now. But they should be back in about half an hour...They always are.”

I nodded, trying to remind myself of asking the women about Zelo later and the girl that had started talking stood up, brushing off the dust from her rainbow-colored skirt. “You are worried about him, aren't you?”, she asked and I frowned for a second. “Because he is screaming upstairs.”

That's when I nodded. Maybe she could help me to understand the stick-figure. “We are too. Please go to him and tell him; he is probably in his old room. You won't miss it.” The girl gave me an encouraging smile and I had to resist the urge of just hugging her and never letting her go again. Those kids here were all orphans. They didn't have anyone besides their little community here and I was sad to find that, because every single of them was just so lovable.

I'd come back soon, I promised myself while nodding and getting up. She showed me the stairs and I glanced around me, unsure whether this was really a good idea, but when I saw the eager expressions facing me, I felt like I didn't have a choice. Alright, let's find out what's up with that messed up boy, I thought, taking a last deep breath before making my way up the stairs.

The kids were right, I couldn't miss the room, because it was the first one to my left; the only room with an open door.

“Go away”, Zelo's voice growled and I peeked inside the room to find him sitting on an old bed. The walls were sparse and gray, there was only a window that let the light break through. Zelo didn't look at me, his eyes directed towards the ground, but he knew that it was me. I suppose the other kids knew when to leave him alone... Did they even know how cold he could be? “I told you to go away!”, he repeated, raising his voice that cracked at the end of the sentence.

But I didn't even think of giving up now. Instead, I sat down beside him with determination. “No.” I'm so glad my voice came out firmly, because I was kind of feeling sorry for Zelo on the inside, making me want to just let him be. But I mustn't.

 

 

Zelo's POV

 

“I don't want to see you, so get lost.” Suddenly, my voice sounded weak. Why was that? Where did all my confidence go off to? I felt like the kid I had been when living in this room: Helpless and at the mercy of other people.

“But I want to know what's going on”, she retorted urgently, causing me to snort.

Who did that girl think she is? There was a painful throb somewhere in my head, making me unable to do anything besides staring at the ground.

I wanted to glare the hell out of her, but I couldn't. “That's got nothing to do with you, get out.” I could hear her swallow beside me.

I wanted to get away from her, but I couldn't. “I wish it would so that I can understand why you are the way you are today.”

I wanted to run.

But I figured I shouldn't.

Understand? I couldn't help smirking like a mad man. Everybody pretended to understand! Everybody pretended to care about me. And what did I get?! “Are you too stupid to link this house to me?”, I asked with a voice that was colder than ice. She wouldn't understand. She didn't care. I wouldn't get anything if I told her.

But then, she shifted closer to me, her gaze being glued to my face and I finally managed to raise my head, gathering all my power to glare at her. “I got the connection, but I want to hear the whole story.” I looked her in the eyes and that's when my glaring-power disappeared. It vanished into air. Her dark eyes were full of concern. Stop looking at me like that you stupid brat, you don't get what you're saying!

“What's that got to do with you?”, I snarled, trying not to give in to those eyes. She's just another girl. Another female wanting to leave me as soon as I trust her, I'm sure. Now give me your answer. Because I live with you? Because you are here? What is your reason to make me tell you?

And then again, a new answer was added to the list. “Nothing”, she shrugged, making me frown at her in despair. What? Nothing?! Okay, stay calm, she's just playing with you. Stay cool and don't show your emotions.

“Then name me a reason why I should tell you.”

The girl shrugged. “Because I'm curious. And I can't stand seeing people suffer by themselves.”

“Who says I'm suffering?”, I growled, knowing that I was slowly losing my defense. I had to turn this conversation around, maybe make it ironic so that she wouldn't ask anymore. I didn't want to tell her, right? I shouldn't tell her... She was just playing with me, the poor orphan that obviously had a hard past. She was wasting her time on me. She would make fun of it all later, I knew it. Right? Right?!

The girl extended her arm to touch the knuckles of my right hand with which I had punched the wall only minutes ago. It was all green and blue and I couldn't suppress a squeal of pain escaping my mouth when she across the bruised skin.

“I am.” That was so cheesy. Of course she'd think that my physical pain was the only one I had. She didn't know despair. She was rich.

She was the person I didn't want to share anything with.

What could she possibly know about the harsh world?!

And yet, she was the person I should thank for saving me, wasn't she?

I didn't want to continue this conversation, because I felt as if I was going to cry if she kept asking. I stood up, hiding my injured hand in the pocket of my hoodie. The hoodie she had bought me earlier by the way. “You're stupid.”

The girl started pouting like the kids downstairs would have done it when she heard that and it seemed like she understood the reason why I had said it. She had made my facade crumble. “You're too.”

“Idiot.” That said, I left the room to hurry down the stairs where my favorite little companions stared at me with expecting eyes. “What is it?”, I asked with a weak smile and Namjoo, a little girl that was stuck at the orphanage for seven years now, stepped forward.

“Are you okay?”, she wanted to know, a worried look on her face and I heard my 'employer' coming down the wooden staircase, stopping a step behind me to lie an arm around my shoulders. Of course I flinched. I hated people touching me. I hated people in general, it seemed.

“JunJun-oppa is feeling a little bit sick, which is why I'll take him home with me for now, okay?”, she stated with a wide and caring smile on her face. Oh wait, it couldn't be caring. Care was a word only Yongguk-hyung knew to use correctly.

But Namjoo believed her words with an enthusiastic nod. One of the other kids raised his voice. “Hyung, get well soon, we want to know how the story ends!”, he shouted, making me smile in a sad way. Those kids didn't know what to worry about other than a book. A fairy tale that would have a happy end unlike my story.

“Right, I will”, I mumbled while being dragged along by the rich girl that didn't let go of my uninjured arm. There was a slight stitch in my chest and I thought about the rib I had forgotten when the kids started climbing on me after finishing the book's chapter. It would take a bit longer for it to heal now, I guessed.

“Unnie!”, Namjoo shouted from behind us, making me frown. I was her oppa, not-

“Yes?”, the girl whose iron grasp was keeping me at her side when she turned around.

Namjoo smiled widely. A smile that made my heart melt. I have to correct myself: Care is something only Yongguk and children know how to use. Because the latter are angels without wings. “Please come along the next time, okay?” My heart skipped a beat and my eyes widened. Maybe they were devils in reality. The kids trusted the rich girl? They didn't ever trust new people, why would they now? She wouldn't say yes, this wasn't her world-

“Sure~”, she replied before exiting the orphanage with me in tow. . I started breathing heavily when I noticed that the only safe place on earth had suddenly turned into another normal house. I wouldn't be the only one going there from now on. I wouldn't be able to be myself if I didn't want her to find out.

There were two options:

  1. I'd never be able to be happy/my true self again.

  2. I'd have to tell her about my past and let her in to make 1. impossible. I'd have to take off the mask.

And I didn't want either of them.

 


 

Isn't Zelo lovable? I know I'm not that good at expressing moodswings or something like that, but I like this chapter anyway xD

Leave some comments y'all! :DD Have some silly Jonglo in return!

~Kirin