The good side

Learn to love again

 

Soora's POV

 

He sounded so furious. So hurt. I swallowed, Sleepy's hand muffling my words as I tried to tell Junhong not to come.

I'll kill you. I'll ing kill you and your whole gang, just you wait”, Junhong's voice echoed through the room a new tear escaped my eye.

“I'll be waiting”, Sleepy purred and glanced down at me, removing his hand from my mouth with another sly grin while ending the call.

“You're a demon”, I breathed, a few more tears rolling down my cheek when that younger guy, Kookie, came into the room. Sleepy didn't seem offended and just left with a silent chuckle, hands buried in his pockets. Why would you do this to anyone?

Kookie stopped breathing when he saw me, my head hanging low because it was too hard keeping it up. “N-noona?”, he asked carefully and I blinked, breathing in. “You look horrible.”

I tried to snort, but it came out as some kind of wheeze. “Well, I've just had a date with Sleepy and Suga, who didn't expect this?”, I muttered, desperately holding on to my consciousness.

The young boy shivered with a nod. It remained silent for maybe five more minutes until he walked out of the room and I frowned. Wasn't he supposed to guard me or something? Then why would he just go away? I was waiting patiently, staring at the red light of the camera blinking in the top right corner of the room until Kookie came back and I looked at the bottle of water in his right hand. “I could have run away, you know?”, I suggested, but he shook his head.

“You can't. I know it”, he mumbled quietly, his hand coming up to his throat and I cocked my head to the side. Something was different about this kid.

“Whatever. You got yourself something to drink?” It was only then that I realized how dry my throat was. Water would be so good right now. “Care to share?”

My opponent shook his head, taking a deep breath. “I mustn't. I really can't, but...” He his lips, nervously glancing at the door as if Suga was about to jump out of the shadows.

“I can tell you're scared”, I mentioned with a raised eyebrow, some warmth finding its way back into my body. “You're not like them, are you?” Kookie opened the bottle of water and spilled some of its content on his shirt's sleeve. “Y-Yah, what are you doing-”

“Oops. Oh no.” The apathy in his voice was very prominent and I frowned. “Looks like my hoodie got wet”, he stated the obvious when he reached out with his sleeve to rub the damp cloth across my face. I stared at him with wide eyes and he managed to form a smile when he saw my expression. “Noona is too pretty to have blood and traces of tears all over her face.”

I could hear someone's steps getting closer and saw Youngjae who stepped past the door.

“If you were like the others here you wouldn't care”, I repeated myself, enjoying the feeling of having the dirt removed. “So, why are you here?”

Youngjae hesitated for a second, glancing back before walking up to us, grabbing the younger by the collar and glaring at him as he let the bottle fall to the ground in surprise. “It's my hyung's fault”, he whispered, watching me with big eyes as Youngjae led him towards the door.

“Enough, Jungkook.”

“I'm only paying for his deeds, noona. I'm not here on pur-”

“I said enough.” Youngjae shoved him past the door. “Leave. I'll watch her instead.” Jungkook did as he was told and I looked at Youngjae, whose brows were furrowed.

“Said something he shouldn't have?”, I guessed. I'm only paying for his deeds. “Is he one of your toys too? Like Junhong?”

“I told you he was too young for this”, Youngjae shrugged with a sigh. “To say he isn't a toy would be a lie.” Monster. I hissed in disgust, not even sparing him another glance as he stepped closer, crouching down in front of me with his lips pressed together.

“You know what? It's weird to actually know the people that are being hurt. It's so different.”

“Then pretend not to know me. Do as you please. Kill me, it's fine”, I mumbled bitterly and he raised an eyebrow because of my sudden hopelessness. “He called Junhong. He will come soon.”

Youngjae nodded. “That was our plan. Mine, to be exact.”

“Of course it had to be yours. You've got quite a brain in there, huh?” I nodded towards his head. “Then tell me, smart- Youngjae, what are you going to do with me once Junhong gets here?”

The other scratched the back of his head. “That's for Sleepy to decide. Maybe make some extra money with you by blackmailing your father? I don't know, but that's what I'd do in his place.” Youngjae's phone buzzed and he looked at it, sitting down next to my chair, leaning against it as he opened the message. “Oh look, it's from Dae. Some audio. Shall we listen to it?”

I tried not to look his way, but I was worrying a lot about Daehyun's condition, his whereabouts and doings. I wanted to hear his voice, no matter what the content might be and my voice was barely audible as I uttered a quiet “please”. I had to hear it – though it would probably hurt too. The last words he had said to me had been “leave me alone” after all.

Youngjae snorted and pressed play.

Jae? I don't have much time-” Daehyun's voice sounded strange. Breathless as if he was running. “Please tell me you're on duty right now. Please be at the police station. Are you?” My heart broke. Everybody had lied to Daehyun. Youngjae. Me. He didn't deserve this. I felt like throwing up.

Youngjae typed in a short reply. “Why not send an audio too?”, I asked innocently and he eyed me with a crooked smirk.

“As if I'd give you that opportunity to talk, Soora. I'm not stupid. I wouldn't be here if I was, you know?” A few minutes passed until another message popped up. “Gosh, can't he just write? What's wrong with him?”, Youngjae grumbled, pressing play again.

It's horrible, Jae. Please help me. Soora's been kidnapped and-” He stopped all of a sudden and my blood froze, eyes widening. He knew? But how?! It took him a few seconds to send the next message. “Sorry, accidentally sent it before I was finished. However, she's been kidnapped-” He took a deep breath, cars to be heard in the background. “-and I know where she is.” Youngjae froze just long enough for me to notice and I could practically hear the gears in his head work. “Z-Zelo's going there now and I'm....I'm getting the police, please come here as soon as possible. I-I'm afraid they won't believe me if I tell them. They'll think it's a joke, won't they? I'm just a kid after all.

Zelo is on his way here? Right now? “No, this...” This mustn't happen! And Daehyun has been dragged into this too. His voice sounded so desperate. So scared and concerned, just like Junhong before. My heart clenched as I glared at Youngjae. “And here you are, on the wrong side of Daehyun's problem”, I hissed, but he didn't look impressed, his body relaxing a bit.

“I'm always on the winning side, Soora, remember this. And usually it's the right one too.”

“Well, the Untouchables' side isn't the right one.”

“Maybe. Maybe not. The winner is always right. It's a matter of perspective.”

“Just shut up.” I tried to remain as calm as possible. “I've heard enough. Enough of your smart- replies.” I held back the next wave of tears as I thought about how much was going on outside the four walls I had been trapped in for just five hours. Daehyun was running to get to the police station. Running for me even though I had broken his heart just a few hours ago. If he had started from his house it was a short run towards the center of the city. I exhaled slowly, wanting to distract myself somehow. It would take them at least twenty more minutes to get to the storage house, maybe much longer since I didn't know where exactly I was. “Junhong's coming here.”

Youngjae nodded calmly. “That's just as predicted.” I frowned. Daehyun had just told him that he was on his way to the police. Youngjae was one of the culprits and yet he was so calm?

“But...the police will be coming too, isn't that... a bad thing for you? I mean, I don't mind, but...”, I stuttered carefully, his eyes narrowing for a second before he was staring off into the distance, looking at something I couldn't see.

He then started typing a reply again and I craned my neck to glance at his screen, but Youngjae turned it away in a hurry staring at me with big eyes for a second. “What? You're still going to lie to him? Once he gets the police here it will be over for you, admit it: You've lost”, I hissed. It was the first time he didn't know what to retort and it remained quiet until someone could be heard coming towards the room.

It was Hoseok. “Untie her and bring her to the main room”, was all he said before turning around again. Wow, so polite, I thought sarcastically.

Youngjae nodded though Hoseok had already left before he had even had the chance to get up. He then stretched his back before untying my hands again. “You're right. It will be over. But we will be the winners”, he mumbled as he slung an arm around my waist, placing one of mine around his shoulders to support my body. He knew I wouldn't have been able to get far on my own and we slowly made our way down the corridor I had been staring at the whole time. It's quite run-down, I thought as I examined the paint that was peeling off the walls that were showing some cracks. None of the wooden doors we passed by would be open and I let myself be led by Youngjae who looked quite serious by now, his body tensing up every time I'd glance at him.

“And you have no regrets? None?”, I asked one last time before we stepped into a big and wide hall. It was gigantic and now there was no doubt anymore – it was an old storehouse for sure.

My guard cocked his head to the side, swallowing before replying. “Maybe some. You know me enough to know that I hate lying.”

My snort couldn't be held back and I smirked at him, feeling tired and completely hopeless again. “They don't do anything but lie, Youngjae.”

It was too late for him to answer as Sleepy walked up to us and grabbed my wrist, dragging me along with him. His sudden harsh movements caused my body to ache again and I tripped a few times because of the loss of Youngjae's support. I thought about Daehyun's messages to his friend again. Why did he even listen to them when he didn't care? On the other hand, he had never completely ignored Daehyun in the past and it would have been suspicious. That guy really thinks about every step he takes, doesn't he? Still, the messages had revealed important information. If I could just distract them long enough the police would come here and save me.

I was pushed down to sit on a chair that was even less comfortable than the previous one and my body wanted to relax, but I forced myself to keep my head up. The ceiling was quite high, maybe thirty meters above my head and every step echoed from the walls. I ignored my throbbing head and glanced around. There were many Untouchables here, maybe fifty or sixty, and they were sitting around chatting on the few old containers that were left in the storage house. Forgotten just like the place itself. It took me some time to spot Kookie in a far away corner with V and some other dark-haired boy, but when our eyes met I could still see worry and nervousness in his. He's too young for this.

“Lost your voice, girl?”

My head snapped around to find Sleepy to my right, chewing on his lower lip as if he was thinking about something while observing my every move. He loved examining people, didn't he? I slowly shook my head, not wanting to get dizzy by another sudden movement.

“What is it then? Not wanting to talk to me?” I stared back at him for a few more seconds before directing my gaze towards the gate of which I assumed it was the entrance. My hands weren't bound anymore, I could have run. If I hadn't been feeling like a weak blob of pudding and the other Untouchables wouldn't have shot me down then that is.

“Fine, keep sulking”, Sleepy mumbled, casually leaning against the containers while his eyes kept staring. “Junhong will be here in maybe ten minutes.” Youngjae sat down next to a group of maybe five people, observing me too. What was I, some painting they wanted to analyze?! Sleepy frowned at the lack of reaction I was giving him. “You're not surprised? No panic?”

The panic was there, on the inside, but I tried to build up a wall again and shrugged with a blank expression. “I have heard about it before I was brought here, so...not really.”

“Oh, you did?” My eyes returned to the organization's leader whose voice sounded calculating and he was actually frowning, glancing at Youngjae and Hoseok before looking at me again. “How did you know?”

Daehyun told us. I glanced at Youngjae again who shook his head as if to signalize me to keep quiet. My eyes narrowed for a moment and my mouth opened and closed a few times before I decided to obey. “Well,uhm... y-you said so yourself. You said he'd come here, didn't you?” I raised an eyebrow and Sleepy's eyes sparkled for a second before his gaze found Youngjae again.

“Jae, come here.” Something was up with my former friend and I didn't seem to be the only one who had noticed. Said guy tensed up before obeying and walking up to his boss.

“What is it?”, he whispered, barely audible.

Sleepy pointed in my direction, squinting. “You're behaving strange around her. You've been quite suspicious during the last week too. Hiding something from me?”

He was quick to shake his head and the way he talked made him sound nervous. “Never. I'd never do that, boss! It's just...”, he exclaimed before glancing back at me and I'm sure I could see uncertainty in his eyes.

Sleepy pursed his lips, registering every reaction before grinning in mischief. “Have some feelings for her? You're probably regretting that you-”

“No! Boss! God, that's embarrassing.” Youngjae's eyes widened and I was sure that I saw him blush before he turned away from me, causing Sleepy to chuckle. Again this seemed so normal. Like they weren't a bunch of criminals and I wasn't their hostage. “No, it's just that I know her and it feels strange to be the one...the one hurting her. Sorry boss that sounds weak, but-”

“It's fine, I see.” The leader kept laughing quietly after interrupting Youngjae. “You'll get over it. I should have known. You're still quite our hatchling with Kookie after all. You wouldn't hide anything important from me, would you?” The question was his last chance to say something about Daehyun's messages. I knew there was more to Youngjae if even Sleepy had noticed something was off, but he just nodded and I could see that the leader was about to say something else when the giant gate at the end of the hall opened with a loud creak and three more of the organization's members stepped in, searching for their leader.

“Boss! We caught him! Three men are down, but we finally got him at the train station.” He stood up, hands in his pockets and Youngjae used that moment to retreat in a hurry. The smile that crept up on Sleepy's face then reminded me of Suga's and it sent shivers down my spine, making me forget about Youngjae for the moment. Goosebumps were forming on my skin as he looked down at me, his voice mirroring his glee mixed with a dangerous growl.

“Now, shall we have some fun?”

 


Ouuuuuuh, Junhong was caught ;^; I hope Dae hurries up a little, writing this is literally bad for my heart ;^;

However, what do you think up until now? If you have ideas on how to improve my style of writing please feel free to tell me, I like that kind of feedback <3

And also tell me what you think of the srtry itself of course! °^°"