Can't do it

Learn to love again

My name is Kim Soora. And I am going to clear up all the misunderstandings from the past weeks as soon as I can.

 

When I got home from visiting Jongup, Himchan was sitting on the sofa, a box of Pepero to his left as he watched TV. “Are you feeling better?”, he asked curiously and I nodded, though it was actually worse than before. I'd have to tell Daehyun that I wanted to break up and it broke my heart. It really did.

“At least I know how to solve my problem now”, I explained with a tiny smile.

Himchan turned down the volume of the show he was watching. “Care to tell me what this is all about, now?” This time, I shook my head and he sighed in resignation. “Stubborn as always.”

“What did you expect from your sister?”, I retorted, sitting down next to him, taking one of the Pepero. “By the way, Hye-sun's not coming today, she's got a day off.”

“Really? I'm hungry”, Himchan whined and I nudged him with my elbow. “So you mean we'll have to cook for ourselves today?”

I nodded with a chuckle. “Why not? You were living on your own and had to cook for yourself for over a year, what's the problem with one more day?” He didn't seem convinced, but got up anyway, since it was about lunch time, and I followed him into the kitchen as he opened the fridge.

“Soora?”

“Hm?”

“Why is there so much jelly in our fridge?”

My mouth dried up and I cleared my throat in a hurry. “I ate a lot of it for the past weeks, Hye-sun bought me a big amount in advance, you know?”, I explained quietly, biting my lower lip. Much to my surprise, Himchan didn't notice how suspicious I was being and chuckled to himself.

“You're gonna get fat, princess.”

I scoffed, crossing my arms in front of my chest. “Yah, don't you tell me that, Pigchan!”

“Well then, how about some grilled meat with rice and vegetables?”, he suggested to bring us back to our main topic and my eyes widened at the suggestion.

“Yes!”, I exclaimed, but was confused when my brother gave me tomatoes and some other vegetables. “What are you doing?”

“You're helping me, of course!”, Himchan explained with a shrug. “Do you think I'd just let you eat what I cooked? Hell no, work for it!”

His satisfied smirk made me wrinkle my nose. “Meanie”, muttered I while he opened and closed every cupboard and every drawer, searching for something. “Knives are in the top right one”, I guessed with a raised eyebrow. “Only one year and you already forgot where the knives are? They've been there since...well, forever!”

“Let's just say I'm getting old, alright?”, he admitted in defeat, giving me one of the sharp tools and we both chuckled again.

We have been bickering our whole lives, but we never really argued about anything serious. Himchan was about eight years older than me, he'd have the better arguments anyway.

While we were eating some improvised food, Himchan told me about all the things he had seen in Japan. It was a beautiful country and I want to go there, too. Maybe next year, when I'm done with school.

However, time flew by and before I even knew it, the sun had gone down and Dad came home. He was surprised to see Himchan sitting there and I noticed that he was actually very happy to have him back, even if it was just for a few days. So he hadn't forgotten about his children because of work, that's a plus. I went to my room after some time, bored by their 'adult topics'. Who cares about paying taxes, insurances and all that stuff anyway?

My mind was still working on the issue that was created in the morning and I decided to go to bed early, wanting to dream of something positive, something simple. Tomorrow, Daehyun is coming home, I thought in guilt, hugging my pillow like a teddy bear. I've got to tell him then.

 

The next morning was spent with actually doing the homework I hadn't even spared a glance on Friday. There was a lot to do and I was busy until lunch, my brain exploding from all the math and biology tasks. I heard how overly excited Hye-sun greeted Himchan when she saw him and had to grin. Everybody working for us knew him for a long time and it was heart-warming how they all greeted him like their own son.

Himchan hadn't talked to our father about his girlfriend yet, but I was sure the latter would make a huge fuss about it. Dad was still busy with clearing up the case of the damaged cargo. Some things went completely missing during the transport, others arrived with the most important part taken out, it was strange and Sleepy flashed in my mind every time I heard him talk about it. It could really be the Untouchables, their influence seems to be big enough to do such a thing...

“Thinking about stuff that shouldn't concern you again?”, I muttered to myself, rubbing my eyes with a yawn as I finished the last equation on my paper. Well, technically it does concern me. It's about my father's company after all, I retorted in my head, while switching my laptop on.

Jin-oppa had written me, that in two weeks he'd be in Seoul for a few days, just as planned and I replied that I was looking forward to seeing him again after his long stay in America. Everybody was coming back to Korea all of a sudden: Himchan, Seokjin... I still had to verify that Jin was (or maybe wasn't) Junhong's elder brother. I know, you all have probably forgotten about him by now, but, as always, I could only think about what might make the stick-figure happy. I'm hopeless and a horrible human being. I told you, didn't I?

In the afternoon, I got a text from Daehyun.

Honey, do you have some time to spare? <3

I want to see you~

I wanted to reply right away. “I've got something to talk to you about, I think we should-” I bit my lip, eyes glued to the screen as I typed the message, just to erase it again, and replaced it with a new one. I wouldn't break up via text message.

Of course I do o3o I'll come over, okay~?”, was what I sent instead and he replied with a few cheesy emoticons on the spot.

My heart felt heavy. Probably because it seemed to be made of rock and ice? I mean, how else could I do this to Daehyun, who always did his best to make everyone happy, especially me?

I told Hye-sun that I would go and meet up with Daehyun – Himchan had gone to the shopping mall to meet up with some old friends from school – and hurried past the streets and houses to get to Daehyun's house.

You'll tell him, Soora, I thought over and over again and that's when my mind decided to mix it with some guilt. You'll break his heart today, you know? Of course he doesn't deserve any of this, but you still have to do it. Just imagine how down he'll be. What if he cries?

I pushed the thoughts aside, having enough of them, and rounded the corner to find Daehyun's doorbell right in front of me. The door opened after a few seconds as if he'd been waiting for me since I had sent my reply and I tried to put on a serious and composed expression.

“Soora!”, he exclaimed, a wave of happiness seemingly flooding him as he took my hand and bent down to kiss my cheek like he always did when we met up. He was wearing a dark-red scarf over his black pullover, combined with a pair of ripped black jeans. He knew I liked that combination. “Thanks for coming by, I'll drive you home later.” The trust and the confidence he was giving off created a crack in my heart. “Are you hungry? We still have some meat from dinner left!”

His voice sounded so cheerful and I avoided eye contact as far as I could, shaking my head. I coughed a few times. “D-Daehyun...”

He noticed that something was wrong and dragged me into the house, his hand never leaving mine. I was feeling cold. “Hey, Soora.” Daehyun bent down again to meet me at eye-level and I swallowed, seeing the concern in his eyes. “Is there something wrong? Are you okay?” Come on, Soora, say it.

I hesitated for another second before just wrapping my arms around him, burying my face in the soft scarf.

I can't do it.

After a moment of surprise, he put his arms around me as well, “I missed you”, he whispered and I replied with a simple 'I know' as Mocha decided to interfere all of a sudden, his tail wiggling around while he was barking loudly and we let go of each other. I chuckled, squatting down to bury my hands in his fluffy fur with a grin. Mocha was such a cute dog, always happy about everything, and he reminded me of his owner. My hand stopped for a second. Should I really do this to him, I thought and as if he could read my mind, Mocha looked at me with his big, round eyes. I'm sure there was some sort of reproach to be found in those dark orbs and I averted my gaze.

After a few moments of petting Mocha, we went into Daehyun's room and I stretched my back for a second before looking at him. Again, my conscience decided to speak up. Soora, if you don't tell him now something bad will happen. Then, Jongup's words echoed in my mind. If you keep playing the good girlfriend it will only get worse, I swear.

“My grandparents from Busan totally want to meet you soon. They were so disappointed I didn't bring you with me because of space problems, I swear. Grandpa even suggested to leave Mocha behind instead of you”, Daehyun spoke up with a grin and I glanced at him as he sat down and stretched on his bed like a cat.

“Dae-”

“And I promise that next time, you'll be able to come along. We'll buy a new car soon, did I tell you that? Then there will be enough space for all of us.” He didn't even listen to me.

“No, Daehyun-”

“Grandma said that, if we don't visit them soon, she'll disinherit my parents! She's a crazy old lady, I say, you'll have to be careful. Like, really crazy, you can't imagine it!”

“Uhm...” His eyes finally met mine and again, I was breathless. All that care. How did I end up in this situation? Why was I frozen?

“What's wrong?” I cleared my throat, scratching the back of my head as I sat down next to him. “You don't want to come along?” He sounded hurt and I bit my lower lip before facing him with a smile again.

“Y-you forget that my grandma is quite crazy, t-too!”, I replied. A chance to tell him was missed with that. “Yours won't be able to reach her level of craziness, I'm sure of that.” Daehyun chuckled at my words, probably not having noticed my moment of hesitation.

“When I was at the farm with you, she just seemed very tough, but my grandma's obsession with cats is unbeatable, you'll see.”

“Oh, a cat lady?”

“You can't imagine to what extent. Grandpa is getting really annoyed with that”, Daehyun answered while rolling with his eyes and I lay down beside him, to look at him. This is wrong. This wasn't how I had planned it at all and I wasn't happy about that. But I felt like it would be worse to break his heart now. And that's how the vicious spiral continues.

“Himchan is back”, I mumbled and Daehyun's eyes widened.

“Your brother? Really? I should have come over to introduce myself instead of having you come here...”

I bit my own tongue before slightly shaking my head. “H-he isn't at home anyway, he's out with old friends right now...” I swallowed, knowing that what I'd suggest now would make it even worse. “M-maybe tomorrow after school?” Daehyun's eyes brightened and he nodded, pulling me a bit closer to peck me on the lips, but I flinched, my hand pushing him away out of reflex, which caused him to frown.

“You're behaving strangely, are you sure you're alright?”, he asked while chewing on his bottom lip and I smiled at him as if it was fine.

“I just caught a cold yesterday. I don't want you to get sick”, explained I as I took his hand. Another chance missed. Daehyun got my point, squeezing my hand with a grin.

“So that's why your hands are cold, too?” I stared at him as the words got stuck in my throat. No, they're cold, because I'm scared. Still, I nodded and he breathed on my folded hands as if to warm them up. The master of cheesiness was back and I couldn't fight back a slight smile. “Thanks for coming by then.”

We lay there for a few more minutes, doing nothing but closing our eyes and enjoying each other's presence, but with every second that passed, I felt a bit worse.

I just couldn't seem to destroy the castle he had built around the two of us and I knew how big of a mistake that was. Though it was only made of glass, it was unbreakable to me. What I was doing right now, was an indirect way of two-timing, I knew that. But that's what you get when you try to make everyone happy at the same time.

 

My name is Kim Soora. And I am every man's worst nightmare.

 

 


 

 

This was the last filler so far!

Everything's prepared for the next step! I hope you like it, I got more comments on my last chapter and I wanted to thank you all for that <3

I always like reading comments, no matter if they compliment or criticize my story or my way of writing, so, feel free to comment!

By the time I upload this, the new B.A.P MV is about to be released, I can't contain the feels any longer ;^; (I watched the comeback showcase a few hours ago, it was just so wonderful, I felt like crying! Young, Wild&Free is a beautiful song and I really need it o3o)