He gets to be with you

Learn to love again

This chapter gets the award for the most unfitting chapter image so far xD


We didn't really talk while Daehyun was driving, I didn't want to disturb him and it was hard enough to understand each other with the wind howling in our ears. That's why I decided to enjoy the feeling of flying across the streets, the feeling of wind in my hair. While I was trying to calm down from what had happened before. Sleepy's face just didn't go out of my head, I was still nervous, checking if my camera bag was still there every ten seconds. My happiness was gone for the moment and replaced by concern. It's alright, isn't it?

They'll find you, then they'll find our connection and then we're both dead meat.”, I could hear Zelo again.

Nah, why would they? They don't suspect a thing, don't think about such stuff...Mum would be proud of you for helping him, I'm sure.

The engine slowed down until it came to a stop, but I remained the way I was for a bit longer: my face buried in Daehyun's leather jacket while my arms were wrapped around his waist. He was warm, I found solace in it and managed to finally calm down. It worked, I really did it! But what if they find out? It was a rollercoaster of emotions and I didn't move until Daehyun cleared his throat loud enough for me to get the sign and let go. “S-Sorry”, I mumbled with my eyes glued to the ground as we both got off the motorcycle.

“Soora?” I hummed, but Daehyun wasn't satisfied. “Soora, look at me.” I then glanced up to find him with a worried expression on his face. “Are you sure you are okay? Where's your smile? Forgot it at the mall?”

I blinked a few times as he jokingly knocked against my helmet as if to make sure something was in there and pushed back the thoughts about the Untouchables for the moment. Slowly, a smile crept up on my face and I laughed as I poked his side and took off the helmet. “Sure, I'm fine, just deep in thoughts. Man, you can think about everything when sitting on that thing!”, I exclaimed while pointing at the motorcycle.

“Ah, yeah. I know, right? What did you think about?”, he replied as he made sure he had everything with him before walking down the small stairs to the river with me.

“This and that”, I said evasively, letting my gaze wander over the surface, which reflected the sunlight of the afternoon. “Reconsidering life-choices.”

Daehyun raised an eyebrow. “Why is that? Regretting something you did?” A hint of unease could be found in his voice until he seemed to think of something. “It's about Zelo, isn't it? Did he harm you in any way?”

The sudden growl in his voice made me look at him and his eyes contained some kind of anger. I was quick to shake my head and thought of a reply. “N-no, it's fine! He didn't hurt me or anything like that. I...uhm... No, I've been thinking about my Mum again...” I swallowed, because it was rare for me lie – especially when it contained my Mum in any way. But I didn't want to make Zelo look like a bad person, which he definitely wasn't, despite his rough appearance. I pictured her again: the way she had smiled at me, the way she had always taken care of me. Back then, I was such a helpless child, would I have been able to help her back then, if I had done something differently?

Now I really thought about her. Great. Tears began to form in my eyes and I averted my gaze, looking at the river. Daehyun looked a bit helpless as he glanced around for a second before reaching out with his hand to touch my shoulder. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-”

“It's alright”, I interrupted him, raising my hand to stop him from saying anything else. “I just... She was so caring. So kind. And I was just a kid and... I want to be like her one day, helping those who need me...” Like Zelo for example. I sniffled, trying not to look too ugly by crying in front of him, though I had done so a few times already. Daehyun knew how much I was mourning for my mother's death and I could hear him gasp as a lonely tear rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away in a hurry. “Ah this is embarrassing, I'll cheer up in a moment, don't worry”, I said quickly and was about to turn to him with a smile when he suddenly engulfed me in a tight hug.

“It's fine.” He just stood there, hugging me while I was completely speechless. It was no big deal, was it?

“What's with this?”, I managed to say after some time and he let go to look at me. I don't know why, but the way he looked at me was so intense, it caused me to feel a lot warmer all of a sudden. Why, normally I'm rather cold...

“If there's something bothering you, please tell me, will you? I'm sorry to have asked just now, I-I didn't know it was about your Mum...” The sincerity in his voice caused me to stare at him in surprise before I had to smile.

“You're so cute, Daehyun, thank you. You know how to talk, young man.” I winked at him, leaving him with round eyes as I took a look around with a deep breath. I was feeling a bit better after his short but caring action. “I told you I'm fine. I was caught up in the moment, that's all. Now, do you think there's something to eat nearby? I didn't have lunch today”, I said, patting his shoulder cheerfully. It was true, thinking too much about the things that happened, today as well as during my childhood, made me sad and I should just stop when I was here to have fun. And how did you stop thinking? With food, of course. I love my logic.

“I...uhm...Yes, there should be a kiosk, about five minutes down the river”, he managed to reply, pointing in said direction, where a tiny house could be made out. “I heard they sell Hot Dogs there, but I never tried one of them...”

“Perfect!”, I exclaimed, grabbing Daehyun's arm. “Then what are we waiting for? I'm starving!”

I could imagine him rolling with his eyes with a smile as I dragged him along. “Sure, let's go.”

 

A few minutes later

 

“I meant it.”

I stopped eating to glance at my company. “Huh?”

Daehyun observed me through his fringe. “What I said earlier. About you telling me what bothers you. I want to be someone you can lean on when it gets hard, Soora.”

“What are you saying all of a sudden?”, I retorted with a chuckle and looked at the sky while taking a hearty bite of my food. “I can already lean on you, you know that.” We sat down at the edge of the riverside, the water flowing about three meters beneath us and I let my feet dangle in the air. A few seconds of silence passed by until I spoke up again. “If it wasn't for you I would never have become interested in normal people after all. Well, Jongup plays a part in that, too.”

Daehyun snorted with a pout. “That's all I'm good for? Miss Kim's interest in the 'normal world'?” The way he said it made clear that it was meant ironically and I playfully nudged him, resulting in both of us grinning while we ate our Hot Dogs. “So, I'm still curious. Can't you tell me what you did at the mall today?”

I bit my lower lip, eyes lowered on my food. The mixture of feelings, happiness and fear, made my stomach turn into a knot, but eventually, the happiness won. I could be proud of my successful mission, goddammit! “There was... someone I had to meet up with. He was very... nice to me.” The way Sleepy's face had suddenly turned creepy and dangerous caused my body to get covered in goosebumps, but I shook it off.

“Oh. Someone I know?”

“Nah, I only met him twice, I don't think you know him.” At least I don't hope so. Something was glimmering in Daehyun's eyes, but I couldn't make out what it was.

“Why did you two meet? Sorry if I'm too curious, it's just so rare that you go out alone”, he kept asking, but I couldn't blame him. I'd think of myself as shady too if I was in his place.

“I took a picture”, I said with a shrug, hiding my nervousness behind a blank face. “I didn't have my camera with me the first time, that's why...yes, that's why we met up again.”

My companion nodded as he understood and he seemed to be a bit relieved too, when he smiled back at me. “So that's why. You could have just said so from the start!” Yes, why didn't I in the first place? I hated secrets, it was hard to keep them, especially for me, but lying was even worse. However, that's how Daehyun's questions concerning the Untouchables ended. Thank god!

 

 

 

Daehyun's POV

 

It felt good, being alone with Soora. Talking about random stuff with her. Seeing her smile because of me. I admit, I was kind of shocked when she started to cry in front of me, but at the same time, I took it as a sign of trust. It was okay for her to let me see her like that and I didn't think any less of her for expressing her emotions. On the contrary. I wanted her to tell me more, I wanted to see every side of her.

The way she tried not to talk about what happened earlier at the mall made me wary. Is it someone she's interested in? Does she have a boyfriend?! When she said that it was just to take a picture, I couldn't help but exhale in relief. But then, the silence between us grew and I bit my lower lip. Ask something! Anything will do! I closed my eyes tightly, knowing that I shouldn't ask her about him, but I actually needed to know about him if I wanted to do this today. “What's with- I mean, how is Zelo?”

She glanced at me while biting her lower lip, but I stared at the river, avoiding her gaze. “Zelo?” A short moment of silence passed until she shrugged. “H-He's fine, I guess.”

I frowned at her short answer. The last time we had been here at the river, she had talked about him nonstop, was something wrong? Or was she finally getting away from him? The questions piled up in my head, but I shook it to clear it again. “You...guess?”

It was her turn to look away. “L-looks like he's befriending Jongup now. He visited him yesterday and told me to stay away. Me! As if Guppie wasn't my best friend but his.” I smirked as I understood.

“You're jealous?” She adjusted the camera bag she carried – for the umpteenth time – and pouted.

“Not at all!”, she stated, still not daring to look at me. The jealous Soora is cute too.

“Ayyy, you obviously are. It's fine, that happens.” Her sudden glare made me stop teasing her, but my smirk didn't fade. Should I really risk it? Come on, you've been preparing for two years, Daehyun, do it. “You know, I-I get jealous, t-too.”

Soora cocked her head to the side, eying me with curiosity. “Really? You do? There's no need to be jealous of anyone, you're good the way you are.” Her unintentional compliment made me blush and I hid my emotions behind a bashful smile.

“Thank you very much, but yes, I do. And you want to know who I'm jealous of the most?” I looked at her and she shook her head, making me sigh and stare at the wide water in front of us again. “I'm jealous... of Zelo. Sounds funny, now that I say it...”

She was obviously taken aback. “Zelo? Why? He can't afford anything, he's even on the ru-” Soora halted, thinking about what she wanted to say again. “Ah, never mind, but...seriously? Why him?”

I sighed again, leaning back until I lay on the ground, my leather jacket scrunching as it was pressed against the stony material and I crossed my arms behind my head. “He gets to be with you all the time.”

“Excuse me?”

Another glance, another deep breath. I was surprisingly calm. “You heard me.”

She slid closer to me, her body facing me instead of the river now. “But why would you be jealous? I'm spending time with you, too, where's the problem?”

I snorted, averting my gaze. “He's living in your house. I guess if I was him, I wouldn't be able to sleep, knowing that you're sleeping in the same building.” The way she looked at me signalized me that she got it wrong and I was quick to interrupt her. “No, it's nothing bad. On the contrary. I'd do anything to be in his place.”

Soora was still having a hard time, judging by the face she made. “But still...why? Zelo is...just my servant....” She swallowed. There was more to him than she admitted, but it didn't bother me. I had started this, I would end it, too.

“I don't think you need a servant. And you want to know why?” She nodded with big eyes, not noticing how she had leaned forward in curiosity. I sat up all of a sudden until my face was exactly in front of hers, giving her no time to flinch as I leaned my forehead against hers. “Because I would be there to grant you all your wishes, Soora. All of them.” I sounded so cool, what had happened to the shy Daehyun from a few minutes ago?! Damn, if this was a drama, she would definitely fall for me! I prayed that this was the case. A moment of silence passed and I blinked before realizing what I had just done. Oh , too close, I thought while biting my lower lip and quickly moving away from her.

“All...of...them?”, she asked quietly, her voice merely a whisper and I swallowed before nodding.

“You just...have to give me a chance. It's okay if you don't....d-don't want to, but I...” I hesitantly reached out with my hand until it touched her cheek, gently over it with my thumb. “I'd make sure not to disappoint you, Soora.” She was staring at me, ajar and I figured I had kind of broken her with my sudden confession.

Picking up my helmet, I stood up and offered her my hand to help her get up, while I tried to swallow my embarrassment and fear. Fear of being rejected. Embarrassment because of my romantic and cheesy behavior. “Y-You don't have to...tell me now, I mean... I should drive you home for now, before the sun sets, right?”

It took her another moment to process my words until she nodded slowly, taking my hand. “Maybe, yes.” Much to my surprise, she didn't let go when she started walking back and I fell into step next to her, our hands connecting us, and I couldn't help feeling a bit proud. I held her hand. I didn't care about her reply, even if it was just for the moment, because I wanted to enjoy it as long as it lasted.

 

 

Soora's POV

 

Daehyun is jealous of Zelo? Are we talking about the same person, Daehyun, was what I thought when he told me about his feelings. “I want to grant you all your wishes”, that's what he had told me and his friendly eyes didn't contain the tiniest bit of mockery. He was dead serious. Comparing his behavior from when he had been with me at school to the one from a few minutes ago, it was obvious how much he had held back. Daehyun liked me.

He let it out when he couldn't keep up his facade of the good friend anymore. I felt guilty for not noticing it at all, but the way he was looking at me, his dark eyes, captured me and caused me to feel nervous all of a sudden. It's still the same Daehyun, right? When I stood up, I couldn't bring myself to let go of his hand. It was warm, it was comforting. And it was my friend's hand. But was it really? Did I want him as a friend, now that he had told me he wanted more?

We arrived at the motorcycle and Daehyun was careful to free his hand from my grasp. “Soora, don't be so quiet, it's making me nervous”, he tried to loosen up the atmosphere and let out a nervous chuckle. He had laughed a lot, if not all the time, but I was suddenly aware of how comforting that sound was.

Sohee had told me about butterflies that appeared in your stomach when you were in love. Was that the feeling I had? Was I in love with my friend? How should I find out? “Sorry”, I mumbled shyly as I pushed back a strand of hair and he sat down on his motorbike. “I'm just thinking a lot now...Uhm... Daehyun?”

His body tensed up for a split second, but he then turned to look at me with big eyes. “Y-Yeah?”

I managed to form a smile and directed it towards him. “I'll think about it, b-but I need some time, is...is that okay? I-I'm sorry to make y-you wait...” His breath hitched at the sight of my expression and he swallowed, trying to think of something to say.

“S-Sure. Take your time, it was me who caught you off-guard after all, haha.” He was speaking very fast – proving how nervous he was – and I sat down behind him, suddenly aware of how close we were sitting to each other. I wasn't bothered by it, but I couldn't help blushing when I wrapped my arms around his waist. Had he felt like this every time I rode the motorbike with him? God, it had to be hell to keep this a secret from me.

My heart was beating really fast as we drove back. I had almost forgotten about the Untouchables when Daehyun confessed, but my thoughts started to mix on our way back. Then, suddenly:

Zelo.

I didn't know why, but it was strange for me to think about him at the moment. I'd have good news for him when I got back, but why did I feel like I had done something I shouldn't have? It wasn't the thing with Sleepy, it was Daehyun. Guilt? Why would I feel guilty when I hadn't actually done anything wrong? My thoughts were interrupted when Daehyun stopped in front of my house.

“Well then, I... I'll get going, I guess”, I managed to say, hesitantly letting go of Daehyun whose eyes were observing my every move through his helmet's visor.

I got off the motorcycle and handed him the second helmet to leave for my house, when he grabbed my wrist with one hand and took off his hardhat with the other one. His hair was pointing in every direction. “Soora.”

I swallowed before cocking my head to the side with a smile. “D-Daehyun?”

He pulled me closer, pressing me against his chest so that his lips were over my earlobe. "It's okay to take your time”, he whispered and I unwittingly grinned against his chest while something started bubbling in my stomach. “And it's ...okay if you reject me.” How did he manage to turn my feelings upside down with a single confession?! “But”, he continued, causing me to frown. “I want you to allow me something else instead. Just one thing... Just in case.”

He broke away from me to scan my face for a reaction and I blinked a few times before slowly bowing my head for a slow nod. “One thing”, I repeated, wondering what he might be aiming for. “What do you want in exchange for a bit of time?”

Daehyun glanced at my house again, I was standing with my back to it, not knowing what he was looking at. He bit his lower lip, clearly reconsidering his decision until he came to the conclusion that this could be his only chance. For what? He leaned forward, the hand that had held my wrist before was now on my back, pulling me closer. His voice was a bit husky, his eyes semi-closed. “Just...this.”

His breath was over my cheek and before I knew it, his lips brushed against mine. My friend, Daehyun, who had just confessed to me was kissing me. It was a gentle kiss, soft and hesitant. I was surprised at first. It was a strange feeling, having someone this close, but nothing that made me feel uncomfortable – I knew my Daehyun after all. At least I thought so. Sure, I had received some pecks from Jongup and Himchan in the past, but that was when we were kids. This was entirely different. His touch caused me to feel as if I was about to explode.

Blood was rushing up my cheeks and I'm sure they were bright red by the time he withdrew. He gasped, his mouth ajar and I guess I wasn't any different from him while staring at him with wide eyes. He then seemed to gather his thoughts, his lips unintentionally as he lowered his gaze and mumbled something. “Thank you.” As he put on his own helmet, he looked at my left hand which still held the second one. “You...You can k-keep it for now... Take good care of it...o-okay?”

I glanced at the helmet and swallowed. My hands felt numb, I had almost forgotten about it. “Y-Yeah, I will.”

“Alright. Bye, Soora.” With these words, he started the engine and drove away. I just stood there, speechless until I found the energy to touch my lips with my free hand. My first kiss had been taken from me by one of my friends. And the way my stomach kept bubbling, I didn't think that was a very bad thing. It took me a minute or two to walk up to my house even though the path was only about ten meters long. It was like a dream. Not a nightmare, but a real dream. My hands were trembling, clutching at the helmet until I thought of the camera bag again. How was I supposed to tell Zelo about something like the Untouchables now?! It was a serious topic and I was... so happy.

“Okay, calm down, Soora, you'll deal with your feelings when you're done helping those who need you, got it?”, I disciplined myself as I unlocked the door and stepped inside. I put on a smile as the ecstatic feeling, the adrenaline from when I had been chased by the organization rushed through my veins again. Daehyun will wait as long as needed, he promised.

“Zelo! Today was a crazy day!”, I shouted, hiding the camera behind my back for a moment while walking into the living room to get rid of the big plastic thing called helmet. As there was no reply, I walked up to his room. “Zelo?” I could hear someone rustling behind the door for a while until it opened and he stepped out of the guestroom without even looking at me.

There was a stitch in my heart, seeing him. I felt guilty, thinking about what Daehyun had done minutes ago as soon as I saw him. I don't think you need a servant, Daehyun's words sounded in my head and I started fidgeting with my camera bag's strap. “You'll...you'll never believe what happened today!”, I exclaimed, following him into the kitchen where he drank a glass of water.

“No, I don't think I can believe it.”

The way he said it made me furrow my eyebrows. “What, why are you-” I froze when his eyes pierced mine, filled with disgust, disappointment and anger. It hurt to see him like that and I'm sure my heart was bleeding. What had I done wrong? Oh wait, maybe he followed me to the mall. Zelo ran back into his room just to grab his backpack and put on his shoes. “Okay, I know, I sh-should have stayed away from the mall, but it was totally worth it! L-look, I-”

He stood up, walking past me as if I was nothing but a ghost. “I'm leaving.”

“What?” I stood there, still confused because of Daehyun, wanting to tell the stick-figure about my achievements, and now Zelo was telling me he'd leave? “In how far? How long will you be gone? Did something happen?” He hesitated for a split second before mumbling something I couldn't understand.“Excuse me?”

Zelo raised his gaze and pierced my eyes with it once more. Did I say my heart was bleeding? It exploded into many many different pieces. “I don't intend to come back.”

“Huh?” He put on his hoodie and his jacket, heaving his backpack onto his shoulder.

“I stayed here long enough. I'll go back to Yongguk.” I grabbed his sleeve, but he brushed my hand off. “It's not like I wanted to stay here in the first place. This is where it ends.”

I was about to take out my camera to show him the picture. “Look, Junho-”

“Stop.” His hand was clutching at his backpack's strap by now and he stared at the ground with anger in his eyes. “Don't say that name. Farewell.” With these words, he ripped the door open and sprinted out of the house, leaving me dumbfounded in the corridor.

Alone.

They say your heart breaks when your love leaves. I didn't even know who my love was, but when I watched him leave, I swear I could hear that vulnerable little thing break. But what about Daehyun? The butterflies? The feeling of comfort? I thought I liked him, judging by my body's reactions.

And why would Zelo even behave like this, what had I done wrong? Oh hell, why did I even care?!

“If you want to leave: Fine! Leave!”, I shouted, even though he wouldn't be able to hear me through the closed door, before staring at the camera bag.

Mum, why is it so hard to help people?

 


I KNOW, THIS WAS SUDDEN, BUT IT WAS SO HARD TO WRITE!

A looooong update, because Soora really didn't know a thing o3o

Daehyun, how dare you...kissing my Soora just like that ;^; And Zelo, what happened, what's wrong? I bet you're all confused, but so is Soora, that's how it should be :3

Love you, hope you'll like how the story continues <3