Carry your own stuff

Learn to love again

Choi Junhong. I thought this name over and over again while we walked back to the house and there was some kind of melody to it that made me grin. “What's there to grin about?”, Zelo, no, Junhong, asked in irritation.

“Nothing...I'm just happy”, I replied, over a tree's bark as we passed by it.

“It's going to rain tomorrow.” The sudden change of topic didn't confuse me – Zelo was like that after all – but I didn't think it would rain. I looked up at the sky.

“Why? There are no clouds that could signalize anything, are there? Can you see something I can't from your stick-figure post?” He gave me the typical “are-you-kidding-me”-glare.

“I'm not that much taller than you, could you stop calling me stick-figure?”, he mumbled. “There is a strong wind, it will bring along many clouds soon.”

“If you say so, stick-figure”, I , arms crossed in front of my chest. He glared at me once more and I raised my hands. “Alright, got it. The others are probably sleeping, we have to be quiet”, I said and opened the door of the house. Just when Zelo passed by the door, he took off his jacket and I walked in after him. “Stick-figure”, I whispered silently, just to be hit by a heavy, black jacket seconds later.

Okay, so he really didn't like that name. Good to know. I should use it more often, I thought. When I entered my room, Sohee had fallen asleep and had fanned out over the whole, king-sized bed, making me stand there without knowing what to do. Who would have guessed that she was so difficult when it came to sleepovers? Let's get changed first, worry about the rest later.

Too bad that, 5 minutes later, Sohee was not only claiming all the space for herself, she also wanted the whole blanket. “Okay, no problem, there are plenty of those thick blankets in the cupboard, Soora”, I reminded myself and got me one of them before trying to find some room on the bed. Have you ever tried going to bed when your cat was already sleeping on top of it? It was kind of like that, but I managed to do it... somehow. I was exhausted, because of the long journey and was about to fall asleep after 15 minutes, but Sohee didn't want me to. That normally angel-like face started snoring.

Are you kidding us, Soora? No, I'm not. She started snoring like a rhino with a cold. “This makes things a little more problematic”, I mumbled, covering my ears with my hands. I tried to sleep, okay? I really tried, but she wouldn't let me. Forty minutes had gone by and there was only one thing left to do. I left the room without my blanket – it had been obtained by Sohee in the meantime – and walked up the stairs to the boys' room. “Jonguppie?”, I whispered silently, because Daehyun and Zelo, who were lying as far away from each other as possible with Jongup in the middle, were obviously sleeping soundly. At least Zelo had been able to fall asleep right away.

I made my way towards the purple-haired head that looked like silver in the moonlight that fell through the window and tugged at his blanket until he blinked, still half-asleep. “What are you doing here?”, he murmured as he recognized me, but automatically lifted the blanket a bit to let me slip under it and lay an arm around my shoulders. There was actually no need for an answer, I just lay there beside Jongup, comforted by the warmth and the silence that surrounded us when I snuggled up against him like I had always done it.

“Sohee is snoring”, I explained, my voice muffled by the hoodie he was wearing. “I can't sleep in my room.” His chest vibrated when he chuckled a little.

“Who would have guessed it? The princess can't sleep, because someone has the same habits as her?”

“I'm not snoring”, I hissed, but he just shrugged.

“If that's what you want to think.” His voice was sleepy when I hit his chest a little and he snorted once more, but we left it at that when I huddled to him again. Jongup was my living, muscular teddy bear and I was happy he let me hug him all the time; skinship was normal to him by now. Some silent rustle caught my attention and I raised my head again, thinking that I woke someone up, but then I saw that Zelo had plugged in his earphones, probably just having a bad dream, because he wouldn't possibly be able to hear us through the music. Good thing, I thought, he'd be mad if I woke him up... After having been able to shut out all the loud background noises coming from Sohee downstairs, comforted by Jongup's consistent breathing, I managed to, finally, fall asleep.

 

 

Zelo's POV

 

I couldn't sleep, because my brain didn't want to shut up.

You told her your name! Your fricking name, what is wrong with you?

Shut up, she deserved it.

Did she!? How come you think so? What has she done to deserve what Yongguk deserves?

Why are you mentioning Yongguk, he's got nothing to do with that. It's just that I'm thankful that she allows me to stay at her house! What is wrong with that?

Everything. Dude, what do you think you're doing? She shouldn't be a part of you, you have to get away from her before she leaves you. Understood?

I know, I should, but-

No buts, you know that's the only thing to do.

… “Maybe it is”, I whispered silently, my hand prickling under the bandage and I scratched it. It would probably be healed by the end of the week if I didn't do too much to damage it. I'll just leave as soon as I'm fully recovered, I decided, wondering why my heart felt a little bit heavy at that time. My thoughts kept circulating for a little longer, but I wanted to shut them out and plugged in my earphones, turning the volume of the music up to make everything else become silent.

Bit after bit, I felt my eyelids become heavier until I fell asleep, dreaming of nothing but trying to pick apples from giant apple-trees that were too high for me. Reaching for things I couldn't have, no matter how hard I tried. Ironic, huh?

 

The warm rays the sun shot into the room made me wake up. There was still music booming in my ears and I turned it off as fast as I could, not quite awake yet. I thought that it would wake the others up, but I noticed the false alarm too late. Well, who cares anyway? I stretched my back, letting out a satisfied yawn when I heard a tiny snore. I frowned and looked to my left, trying to conceal my surprise.

What was that pile of arms and legs? And why was it snoring? I slid a bit closer and could make out the grape-head, hugging that girl that had tried to keep me awake all night. Good thing she didn't, because somehow, I felt that she'd keep me awake today. But back to the point: Why were they sleeping here together, wasn't she supposed to sleep downstairs? And how come they were sleeping together anyway?

“Ah, I'm hungry”, someone's hoarse voice sounded through the room and my gaze shot up to meet rainbow-man's eyes. Well, not exactly his eyes, but a curtain of hair that hid them. He brushed the strands out of his face and I hurried to hide my confusion over the two sleeping beauties beside me to wait for his reaction. I wasn't disappointed: as soon as he spotted the pile, his eyes widened and he looked at me, then back at the other two and back at me again. “What is that?”, he asked, his eyes now so wide that I thought they could fall out at any time.

I swallowed, acting as if I didn't care by shrugging. “Who cares?”, I mumbled. “It's their thing how they sleep, isn't it?”

Rainbow-man bit his lower lip. “I never knew they were this close...”

“Huh?”, I asked, because I had noticed a slight trembling in his voice. He seemed to shrink a little before shaking his head as if to clear his thoughts and standing up.

“Never mind, I was just...thinking out loud. Let's go downstairs, I want food”, he mumbled and I'm sure he looked rattled. Something began to bubble inside my stomach and it was not the hunger, but I don't know what it was exactly. You think you're the only one she should talk to now? Zelo, are you nuts? Right, it was stupid of me to think stuff like that; I had Yongguk to confide in after all. What was wrong with me since yesterday? Had it only been yesterday? Had it started at the orphanage? Even earlier? Stop right there.

I just followed the other guy silently until we reached the living room, when that other girl came running towards us. “Guys, Daehyun, Zelo, Soora is missing! I swear, she isn't in our room! We have to search for her and-” I rolled with my eyes before simply shutting her up with my hand put over , making her squeal before she sent me a glare and quieted down. “It's because of you, she went out to look for you, so what did you do to her?”, she hissed quietly and I scowled, pointing at the ceiling where our room was.

The girl frowned, but I had no intention to explain it any further, which is why rainbow-man did it instead. “Sohee, she just slept upstairs in our room, don't panic.” She squinnied before her lip once.

“Why did she sleep upstairs?” Daehyun hesitated while I sat down on the sofa, because I didn't know where the food was. Maybe that girl knew something.

“Well, we don't know..., but do you, by any chance, know what her... relationship with Jongup is?” He scratched the back of his head and Sohee's frown deepened.

“Jongup? I always wondered whether there was actually something going on between the two of them, but they claimed to be friends”, she whispered in reply. “Why, is there some evidence now?”

I shrugged casually, scrunching my nose. “Don't know... Does she like cuddling?”

Sohee seemed to be more and more confused. “Euh, don't know...”

“Then there's no evidence”, I concluded with a yawn, ending the conversation since I wasn't comfortable around the other two. “Say, where can we get something to eat?” Just when I asked this question I heard steps shuffling through the house and the old lady, the girl's grandma, came in with cracking joints.

“Good morning everyone. You want food?”, she asked and the glint in her eyes made me suspicious, but Daehyun didn't seem to notice it, nodding frenziedly. She then grinned and I didn't like that grin at all.

 

 

Soora's POV

 

I haven't slept this well for ages. When the sun sent her rays through the window, I opened my eyes slowly, just to find myself in a tight embrace. I frowned and inhaled, just to recognize the scent as Jongup's and relaxed again. How long had it been since he slept next to me the last time, I had almost forgotten that feeling of safety. It took me another moment to realize that we weren't at home, but at grandma's house. I should stand up as fast as possible, I concluded, poking Jongup's chest a little. “Jonguppie”, I mumbled, interrupted by a yawn. “Time to get up...”

His arms around me tightened their grasp and he groaned something like 'Just five more minutes', making me smirk and poke him until he opened one eye in irritation. “Let me sleep”, he demanded, but I shook my head and freed myself from his grasp.

“Remember where we are? There's no time to sleep!” He rolled with his eyes when I quoted my grandmother's favorite words and he rubbed his eyes with his hands to wake up bit by bit. “I'll go first, see you downstairs”, I stated before heading towards the staircase. Neither Daehyun nor Zelo had been in the room and I wondered whether they were eating downstairs or something like that. When I arrived at the kitchen, granny turned around, looking quite happy. I hesitated for a second. “Where are... the others?”, I asked slowly and grandma's smile widened.

She didn't eat them, did she? “They are...playing... outside.” I raised an eyebrow at that reply when Jongup stomped down the stairs to join our conversation. Something was fishy.

“Granny?”

She sighed in defeat. “Fine, I sent them out to work a bit, and you will, too.”

My jaw dropped when I glanced at the clock to my right. It was nine in the morning! And week-end on top of that! “But I'm sure they're hungry!” My stomach growled when I said that. “And I am hungry too!”

Grandma swung the wooden spoon through the air like a sword. “Go and work for it. The faster you finish your task, the earlier you get to eat.” Who was she, a coach from the army?! God, no wonder Himchan never brought friends along when we spent our time here and I was little. She wasn't like that when I was here with Jongup alone...not that harsh. Jongup on the other hand, didn't quite seem to grasp those words, remaining at the door frame while I got dressed and put on my shoes.

“Fine!”, I shouted, hoping that the others weren't too mad. “What's our task?”

 

 

Of course. The baskets. When I was a child, I had once been given the task to go and get all the baskets from a tiny arbor. Now that I think about it, it was probably just something grandma had told me to make me shut up, because I was talking non-stop at that time. Now, my grandmother had given the three visitors the same task: Get the baskets from the arbor and stack them neatly in front of the house. Why? Nobody knew. But being three people, they should manage to finish the work in about half an hour.

Even though I didn't know how long they had already been at it now. I ran towards the path they'd probably walk up and down, just to find Zelo putting down a pile of maybe three baskets next to those they had already managed to carry. He raised his head when he heard my panting and if this was some kind of anime, I'm sure he would have had a dark aura of doom around him, judging by his look.

“S-Sorry, I didn't know she...would be... that harsh”, I managed to say, hands resting on my knees to keep standing as I gasped for air. Zelo his lower lip in dissatisfaction when he stepped up to me in full size, casting a long shadow over me and I glanced up, waiting for some rough comment, but it didn't come. A slight pain rushed through my forehead when he hit it with some sort of ttakbam. Nothing serious, just a flick of his fingers that made clear that he was very mad, but our food had priority.

“Just make yourself useful. I'm hungry”, he growled before turning around to get another pile of baskets. I rubbed my forehead with a silent hiss and went after him, meeting Sohee and Daehyun on the way who were carrying about five baskets together. Those things are huge, they are meant to contain a lot of apples and because they are plaited of wood, it gets not only voluminous, but heavy on top.

“I'm sorry”, I mumbled silently, but Daehyun looked fierce instead of angry. And he didn't look at me. “Only twenty more!”, he exclaimed, completely immersed in his task and I noticed that a bit of Sohee's fingernails had broken off. I glanced at her face to find her biting her lower lip. She only did that when she really wanted something and I was surprised at the fact that she put the loss of her perfection off just like that. Maybe she hadn't noticed it yet.

When I decided to help them with the last bit and turned around, Zelo had already reached the arbor and I ran after him. “Wait, I'll help you!”, I shouted, but he just frowned at me.

“Why? Carry your own stuff, it's easier that way”, he replied dryly and hauled the wooden baskets past me, leaving me alone.

I turned around in a hurry. “But I can only lift two-” My shoulders sank a bit more when he kept walking without any reaction. “-at a time...” My sigh remained unheard and thus, I accumulated all of my power to lift up three baskets at once, stumbling towards the goal I couldn't see behind all the wood anymore until I tripped. I had toppled over my own feet and closed my eyes, but the expected collision didn't occur and I opened them again.

Someone was stabilizing me on the other side of the baskets and I raised my head to find Daehyun's agitated face. “You shouldn't carry three of them on your own. Let me do it, you go help Sohee.” I nodded while swallowing, letting him take my load. His serious tone couldn't only be because he was hungry, right? Did I do something wrong? He turned back once more to scan me. “You're not...You're not hurt, are you?”

The words came out hesitantly and I decided to ask him later whether something was wrong before shaking my head and showing him a smile. “No problem, everything's fine. Thanks to you.” A relieved smile tugged at the corners of his mouth and he nodded, leaving for the destined place to get rid of the baskets. It didn't take us longer than ten minutes, because there wasn't much left to do and Jongup joined us too, but we were happy when the task was done and we could leave for the house.

The sun was shining and there were tiny drops of sweat on the boys' foreheads as we walked past the rows of apple trees. Zelo nudged me in order to gain my attention and pointed at the sky. To my surprise, somewhere, far away, there were gray and black clouds floating through the air. “Told you it was going to rain”, he mumbled and I rolled with my eyes.

“Fine, I admit that you were right. Satisfied?” He nodded silently and I didn't quite get what he wanted to achieve with that statement, but I just followed the group until we reached the house.

Thank god grandma had actually prepared a huge breakfast.

That was worth the trouble after all and nobody complained anymore.

 


You're boring, author-nim! I know, I know, be patient.

I don't even know whom to ship with whom! I don't know what I'm doing either, but it's all going as planned...I think.

You're confusing me! I promise the next chapter will be better ;_;

 

To think that I wanted the farm-arc to be only 2 chapters long....this will take some more...but there's a lot more to happen, I promise! °^°"